Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,871 members, 7,824,627 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:46 PM

10 Banks Earn N22bn On Account Maintenance Charges (Names) - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / 10 Banks Earn N22bn On Account Maintenance Charges (Names) (45151 Views)

Zenith, GTBank, Access, UBA Generate N24.3bn From Account Maintenance Charges / 5 Banks Earn N15.7bn On Account Maintenance Charges In Q1 2019 / Senate Asks CBN To Suspend ATM Card Maintenance Charges (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Banks Earn N22bn On Account Maintenance Charges (Names) by NaijaOlosho(f): 11:25am On Jun 04, 2020
grin grin
Cashing out steady

I trust Access Bank for cutting money any how
Re: 10 Banks Earn N22bn On Account Maintenance Charges (Names) by Obrigardo: 11:30am On Jun 04, 2020
Tuska:

grin your own Nah your own. No dey chock eye for another man pot.

Na village you dey? I have relatives in the US, I visit frequently and have biz interests there.. And even if you haven't set foot outside your village, sometimes I'm in the states, and same time im affecting your life in your tiny cave in your nigerian jungle
Re: 10 Banks Earn N22bn On Account Maintenance Charges (Names) by Dearlord(m): 11:31am On Jun 04, 2020
You all have not tested what I am going through in my UBA , they charges me #398.73 monthly.

If not because of their pretty staffs, I would have closed the account.
Re: 10 Banks Earn N22bn On Account Maintenance Charges (Names) by Tuska: 11:38am On Jun 04, 2020
Obrigardo:

Na village you dey? I have relatives in the US, I visit frequently and have biz interests there.. And even if you haven't set foot outside your village, sometimes I'm in the states, and same time im affecting your life in your tiny cave in your nigerian jungle

Then take your state problem to state forum and stop being stupid.

1 Like

Re: 10 Banks Earn N22bn On Account Maintenance Charges (Names) by highflyer012020: 11:39am On Jun 04, 2020
you are jobless person for posting this rubbish as a truth that can change anything. infact you are rubbishly inclined.
Obrigardo:
So what do we do, protest?

In other news, trump is confirmed to be a pathological liar, once again and again and again.....
Re: 10 Banks Earn N22bn On Account Maintenance Charges (Names) by Fragility6: 11:42am On Jun 04, 2020
Obrigardo:
So what do we do, protest?

In other news, trump is confirmed to be a pathological liar, once again and again and again.....
Oga focus on d extortion going on in ur country leave US n dier problem. Wetin b una own wit trump. Buhari is borrowing away our future,banks are seriously stealing from us with dier unreasonable charges,High rate of crimes,high rate of unemployment (pple are getting sacked daily bcoz of diz covid.I jst heard of one my friend diz mornin dat lost his), inflation etc With all these going on here na Trump mata una carry 4 head. African's problem is African itself

2 Likes

Re: 10 Banks Earn N22bn On Account Maintenance Charges (Names) by nanauju(f): 11:45am On Jun 04, 2020
Zenith bank is a very useless bank. Let me go to fb and rant on their page

1 Like

Re: 10 Banks Earn N22bn On Account Maintenance Charges (Names) by thymm: 11:48am On Jun 04, 2020
And this will never trend on Twitter or Instagram. NNPC nepotism and tribalism will never trend. Only Dacido vs Burna boy, clueless generation

5 Likes

Re: 10 Banks Earn N22bn On Account Maintenance Charges (Names) by afecgivers: 11:51am On Jun 04, 2020
Excluding Forex trading, loan interest and other illegal financial proceeds.
Re: 10 Banks Earn N22bn On Account Maintenance Charges (Names) by bonnyhope: 11:57am On Jun 04, 2020
BLESSICA:
To 4uk dey hungry me.

You no de fear hell fire?
Re: 10 Banks Earn N22bn On Account Maintenance Charges (Names) by abnot: 11:58am On Jun 04, 2020
tot:

You must have opted for this. The point is for a BASIC bank account which provides the normal services of keeping money and acess to free ATM, there is no charge.

I see nothing wrong in the OP comparing Nigeria to the UK, what extra services are Nigerian banks providing to be charging such ridiculous amounts? Even after covering diesel and operating expenses, what are the remaining charges for exactly?

A typical ATM in the U.K. is powered by public electricity . In Nigeria backup power is provided along with security. What is the average cost of funds in U.K. ? What is the cost of Data ? These ATMs are computers constantly sending and receiving information to complete transactions. All these adds to the factors of production. Are ATM machines and spares manufactured in Nigeria ? In U.K. most spares are available in U.K. or within the EU where customs duty and other import fees are waived . MasterCard and Visa charges on majority of the cards used are settled in dollars (what is the strength of the local currency?) . If you run a bank in Nigeria how will you fund all these ?

Nigerians in diaspora always come online making comparisons here and there in the process condemning things. If a typical British bank comes to operate in Nigeria and replicate the model they operate they will not survive the Harsh environment

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Banks Earn N22bn On Account Maintenance Charges (Names) by oluwaseyi0: 11:58am On Jun 04, 2020
Obrigardo:

pray God takes him away before enough carnage that will spread here and scatter us, which is already in motion by the way

What happened to God taken buhari away ... forever
Re: 10 Banks Earn N22bn On Account Maintenance Charges (Names) by Collins87: 12:01pm On Jun 04, 2020
A want to open a bank in Nigeria ( I don't mean bank account). I shall start with 100000k. I want to have my own bank.
Re: 10 Banks Earn N22bn On Account Maintenance Charges (Names) by highbee02: 12:05pm On Jun 04, 2020
I'm not disappointed seeing STANBIC IBTC on the list. Useless bank.
Re: 10 Banks Earn N22bn On Account Maintenance Charges (Names) by chima4UK(m): 12:06pm On Jun 04, 2020
Marpol:

You don't need a safe bro, keep your money in USD!
Hmmm..Don’t even go there. Their eyes dey red for dollars. I have already given up on one Nigerian bank for deducting $22 annually for card maintenance on a domiciliary account. I have severally reported that the card is broken and no longer in use for over 2 years. I think a legal action may settle some of these day-light robberies.

1 Like

Re: 10 Banks Earn N22bn On Account Maintenance Charges (Names) by tot(f): 12:11pm On Jun 04, 2020
abnot:

A typical ATM in the U.K. is powered by public electricity . In Nigeria backup power is provided along with security. What is the average cost of funds in U.K. ? What is the cost of Data ? These ATMs are computers constantly sending and receiving information to complete transactions. All these adds to the factors of production. Are ATM machines and spares manufactured in Nigeria ? In U.K. most spares are available in U.K. or within the EU where customs duty and other import fees are waived . MasterCard and Visa charges on majority of the cards used are settled in dollars (what is the strength of the local currency?) . If you run a bank in Nigeria how will you fund all these ?

Nigerians in diaspora always come online making comparisons here and there in the process condemning things. If a typical British bank comes to operate in Nigeria and replicate the model they operate they will not survive the Harsh environment

No one is saying they shouldn't charge, the issue is they are charging INDISCRIMINATELY. N22 bn for goodness sake!

Nigerian banks should become innovative and create opportunities for value rather than being intellectually lazy, flat charging a whole population as many charges as possible.
Re: 10 Banks Earn N22bn On Account Maintenance Charges (Names) by mindtricks: 12:15pm On Jun 04, 2020
Built2last:
They should keep reaping off the masses. when they are ready they will rise against the establishment

I have been in UK for 7 years doing business. I have never been charged for debit card, Cheque book issuance or any stupid sms or account maintenance charge and all banks in UK are light years ahead of Nigerian banks.

Here, you call them you need card, they issue in 3 days with no charge.

CBN should introduce Walking into the bank charge. our people will pay and come online to rant

No be small thing.

1 Like

Re: 10 Banks Earn N22bn On Account Maintenance Charges (Names) by anigbajumo(m): 12:20pm On Jun 04, 2020
It will not be well with all these useless Bank....

They will say alert for 22nd of march to 21 of April is 580# while the whole alert I received with in that period is not up to 20, how come #580.?? They are just legalized armed robbers, I av up to 4 different bank account. GT bank is fair to me thou.

1 Like

Re: 10 Banks Earn N22bn On Account Maintenance Charges (Names) by thoollz: 12:23pm On Jun 04, 2020
Have u guys heard about KUDA Bank app?
Re: 10 Banks Earn N22bn On Account Maintenance Charges (Names) by mosesjida(m): 12:25pm On Jun 04, 2020
Alot of scammers out there
Bank inclusive.
But some weirdo's cashier will come here to quote me like they own the bank
Smh.
Re: 10 Banks Earn N22bn On Account Maintenance Charges (Names) by Kubernetes: 12:35pm On Jun 04, 2020
tot:

So it requires N22bn (N22,000,000,000) to acquire all these IT infrastructure?

Let me give u an example.
If bank A has a total of 2m customers.
If monthly maintenance fee is 1% of every withdrawal.
If everyone amongst the 2m customers withdraw just #5000 in a month.

Now this 2m customers will be charged mnt fee for that month.
=1%×#5,000= #50

Now for 2M customers
= 2,000,000×#50
Now Gross mnt fee=#100M
If the expenses incurred by the bank in terms of maintaining the channels in which these #5k was taken by the customers(e.g atm, USSD,app,otc) is #30M.
It simply means the net monthly mnt fee income for the bank is #70M.

This #70M revenue stream is added to other streams like interest loans,alert charges,float income etc to added to the total net income of the bank.Its from this total income that preferred share holders are paid,retained earnings are ploughed back, technology is upgraded and dividends are shared.

Probably they should reduce it to 0.2%.
Note that's it was when COT was cancelled that the banks brought mnt fee in order to remain in biz.
Re: 10 Banks Earn N22bn On Account Maintenance Charges (Names) by JamiuKabir: 12:51pm On Jun 04, 2020
Built2last:
They should keep reaping off the masses. when they are ready they will rise against the establishment

I have been in UK for 7 years doing business. I have never been charged for debit card, Cheque book issuance or any stupid sms or account maintenance charge and all banks in UK are light years ahead of Nigerian banks.

CBN should introduce Walking into the bank charge. our people will pay and come online to rant

You are very correct. I have never seen any thing like those charges here too.

Reaping Nigerians off

1 Like

Re: 10 Banks Earn N22bn On Account Maintenance Charges (Names) by Topmaike007(m): 12:58pm On Jun 04, 2020
Mexyz:
Access Bank should be number 1
Awon ole gbogbo
they're big thief... Them Peper me few days ago when I wan collect #2700 from pos I no know say dem Don commot #20 the money no gree comot and I no still receive alert

1 Like

Re: 10 Banks Earn N22bn On Account Maintenance Charges (Names) by Topmaike007(m): 12:59pm On Jun 04, 2020
playapayaski:

Na thief dem b o, mata tire man.. Access bank own na 175 monthly, so I closed the account after complaining severally.. Now na gtb dey ram me hard. Its unfair
bro na providus bank I dey use now
Re: 10 Banks Earn N22bn On Account Maintenance Charges (Names) by slowice(m): 1:19pm On Jun 04, 2020
So these are the criminal banks stealing our hard earned money yet dem no fit pay staff well. .. I ll stick with fidelity bank... Dem corruption still small for now. As for access bank, am closing that account I must withdraw my last 5k

2 Likes

Re: 10 Banks Earn N22bn On Account Maintenance Charges (Names) by Shellsploit: 1:19pm On Jun 04, 2020
BLESSICA:
To 4uk dey hungry me.

Re: 10 Banks Earn N22bn On Account Maintenance Charges (Names) by Pinkybush: 1:21pm On Jun 04, 2020
They have charge all from the little I had. If what they keep deducting from my acct. is more than their audio interest they claim to give me, then what is the essence of keep my money in their care? I'll better go back to 50s where my forefathers made use of bottle to save their monies.

1 Like

Re: 10 Banks Earn N22bn On Account Maintenance Charges (Names) by tot(f): 1:21pm On Jun 04, 2020
Kubernetes:

Let me give u an example.
If bank A has a total of 2m customers.
If monthly maintenance fee is 1% of every withdrawal.
If everyone amongst the 2m customers withdraw just #5000 in a month.

Now this 2m customers will be charged mnt fee for that month.
=1%×#5,000= #50

Now for 2M customers
= 2,000,000×#50
Now Gross mnt fee=#100M
If the expenses incurred by the bank in terms of maintaining the channels in which these #5k was taken by the customers(e.g atm, USSD,app,otc) is #30M.
It simply means the net monthly mnt fee income for the bank is #70M.

This #70M revenue stream is added to other streams like interest loans,alert charges,float income etc to added to the total net income of the bank.Its from this total income that preferred share holders are paid,retained earnings are ploughed back, technology is upgraded and dividends are shared.

Probably they should reduce it to 0.2%.
Note that's it was when COT was cancelled that the banks brought mnt fee in order to remain in biz.

If banks are charging to cover their costs like IT infrastructure, diesel etc., it is understandable but they are covering far more than their costs and using customers to "make profit", this is not a sustainable business model. Other countries do not charge in this manner so what exactly are they doing differently that Nigerian banks cannot? They are simply fleecing the populace.

Also, account maintenance charge is only one of several, they charge all kinds of different charges. It's unfair!

1 Like

Re: 10 Banks Earn N22bn On Account Maintenance Charges (Names) by Zeezenho: 1:34pm On Jun 04, 2020
We need to understand this if you rob bank you to jail.if bank run you hmmmmm you go to jail.
Re: 10 Banks Earn N22bn On Account Maintenance Charges (Names) by crafteck(m): 1:45pm On Jun 04, 2020
But how many million nigerians lost same on maintenance of accouts that haven't been maintained!?
Re: 10 Banks Earn N22bn On Account Maintenance Charges (Names) by Realist2: 2:17pm On Jun 04, 2020
Built2last:

I was debited 350 Naira in one day yesterday, when I inquired from the bank, I was told it is stamp duty.
We are being robbed on a daily basis either from Banks or from the government with nothing to show us.
Re: 10 Banks Earn N22bn On Account Maintenance Charges (Names) by webizone(m): 2:22pm On Jun 04, 2020
Before I read this I knew that UBA would be among the top nah. Periodically, I would transfer money whether by app or USSD and it will hang. They won't reverse it and you will keep filling form for months which they use as toilet tissue in their smelly office toilet. angry I have silently ported and they didn't know. It's better for me to open a bet9ja account and be putting my money there at least, if money loss, I know it's my fault.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Gtbank Launches Mobile Phone Money Transfer - First Of Its Kind! / Femi Otedola And Bola Tinubu In 2005: Throwback Photo / Nigerian Billionaires Lose Billions Amid Coronavirus Pandemic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.