Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,749 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:05 AM

Looking For Where To Rehabilitate A Brother Who Drinks Too Much - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Looking For Where To Rehabilitate A Brother Who Drinks Too Much (1468 Views)

Share Your Experience Living With A Brother Who Was Single And Later Married.. / Re: About My Elder Brother Who Does Not Care About Us / What Advice Would You Give A Brother Who Just Turned 20? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Looking For Where To Rehabilitate A Brother Who Drinks Too Much by omalicha2: 2:38pm On Jun 04, 2020
Pls is there any place in the east where I can take my drunkard brother to and keep him for rehabilitation. The family is ready to pay for him to remain there for some time and stop drinking

2 Likes

Re: Looking For Where To Rehabilitate A Brother Who Drinks Too Much by Davash222(m): 2:44pm On Jun 04, 2020
omalicha2:
Pls is there any place in the east where I can take my drunkard brother to and keep him for rehabilitation. The family is ready to pay for him to remain there for some time and stop drinking
kai kai drunkard or Beer drunkard?

1 Like

Re: Looking For Where To Rehabilitate A Brother Who Drinks Too Much by falcon01: 2:45pm On Jun 04, 2020
Make him drink and drink and drink till he can drink no more Life is too short to worry about His problem.
Re: Looking For Where To Rehabilitate A Brother Who Drinks Too Much by risos(m): 2:57pm On Jun 04, 2020
Take him to the north, Jigawa will be very good.
Re: Looking For Where To Rehabilitate A Brother Who Drinks Too Much by Nobody: 3:34pm On Jun 04, 2020
Does he have a job or a viable business? Is he married? Have you taken time to sit him down and have a heart to heart talk with him, to know exactly his problem?

At times, life issues makes us go into some odd lifestyle we never planned for.
Re: Looking For Where To Rehabilitate A Brother Who Drinks Too Much by missjekyll: 3:39pm On Jun 04, 2020
omalicha2:

Does he want to stop? that is the most important determinant. If he does, A psychiatrist can help recommend a detox centre. I m sorry about the pain your family is going through.

7 Likes

Re: Looking For Where To Rehabilitate A Brother Who Drinks Too Much by adoreyou(m): 4:21pm On Jun 04, 2020
The problem might be beyond drinking.Different factors lead one into taking to habits.I cannot state all here but i belief social support can do d magic.The best type of social support is family bonding.Buy him a drink&start a discussion from there.cheers
Re: Looking For Where To Rehabilitate A Brother Who Drinks Too Much by omalicha2: 4:22pm On Jun 04, 2020
missjekyll:

Does he want to stop? that is the most important determinant. If he does, A psychiatrist can help recommend a detox centre. I m sorry about the pain your family is going through.
He is not ready to stop, so we are looking out and asking if there's any organisation that take in such people for rehabilitation we are ready to pay let him be there for some years.
Re: Looking For Where To Rehabilitate A Brother Who Drinks Too Much by omalicha2: 4:25pm On Jun 04, 2020
adoreyou:
The problem might be beyond drinking.Different factors lead one into taking to habits.I cannot state all here but i belief social support can do d magic.The best type of social support is family bonding.Buy him a drink&start a discussion from there.cheers
His case is beyond this oo. We are tired, imagine at 40 he is jobless and not ready to do anything. Just drink alcohol and beg for money from family members.

3 Likes

Re: Looking For Where To Rehabilitate A Brother Who Drinks Too Much by Prodigee: 4:26pm On Jun 04, 2020
Take am to pastor. At 40 and jobless, na deliverance him need
Re: Looking For Where To Rehabilitate A Brother Who Drinks Too Much by omalicha2: 4:30pm On Jun 04, 2020
OcVoice:
Does he have a job or a viable business? Is he married? Have you taken time to sit him down and have a heart to heart talk with him, to know exactly his problem?

At times, life issues makes us go into some odd lifestyle we never planned for.

At forty he has no job and is not ready to have one, He is not married and is not thinking towards that direction. His case is pathetic cos he stays for days without taking his bath and no woman will want to marry such person. Once he begs money from us he use it to drink alcohol

1 Like

Re: Looking For Where To Rehabilitate A Brother Who Drinks Too Much by omalicha2: 4:33pm On Jun 04, 2020
Davash222:

kai kai drunkard or Beer drunkard?
Kaikai drunkard
Re: Looking For Where To Rehabilitate A Brother Who Drinks Too Much by SmileDance(f): 4:34pm On Jun 04, 2020
Since he is not ready to stop, little can be done for him cos even if he's taken to a rehabilitation center or so, it might be against his rights as a human being, drinking alcohol is not illegal in Nigeria. He can only be 'helped' to stop drinking if and only if he is ready to stop

2 Likes

Re: Looking For Where To Rehabilitate A Brother Who Drinks Too Much by omalicha2: 4:35pm On Jun 04, 2020
Prodigee:
We've tried this he fought the pastor and ran away. The issue is that he is not ready to change. We are just forcing him

1 Like

Re: Looking For Where To Rehabilitate A Brother Who Drinks Too Much by omalicha2: 4:40pm On Jun 04, 2020
SmileDance:
Since he is not ready to stop, little can be done for him cos even if he's taken to a rehabilitation center or so, it might be against his rights as a human being, drinking alcohol is not illegal in Nigeria. He can only be 'helped' to stop drinking if and only if he is ready to stop
But let's try rehabilitation centre first, that's why I'm asking if there's anyone in the east we are ready to take him there probably they can chain him for some time so that he will not drink for like one year. PLS CAN ANYONE RECOMMEND FOR ME. I Googled it and couldn't find any rehabilitation centre at Igbo land. Do you guys know any place?

1 Like

Re: Looking For Where To Rehabilitate A Brother Who Drinks Too Much by Prodigee: 4:41pm On Jun 04, 2020
omalicha2:
We've tried this he fought the pastor and ran away. The issue is that he is not ready to change. We are just forcing him
Na wa o! Well you can try looking for a psychiatrist. Not sure if we have those here. They can try hypnosis/hypnotherapy on him since it has gotten to this stage.

1 Like

Re: Looking For Where To Rehabilitate A Brother Who Drinks Too Much by SmileDance(f): 4:50pm On Jun 04, 2020
omalicha2:
But let's try rehabilitation centre first, that's why I'm asking if there's anyone in the east we are ready to take him there probably they can chain him for some time so that he will not drink for like one year. PLS CAN ANYONE RECOMMEND FOR ME. I Googled it and couldn't find any rehabilitation centre at Igbo land. Do you guys know any place?
you cannot chain him against his wish, he has a right to drink, he has a right to be jobless, he has a right not to get married. You cannot deny him his rights as a human being because you are trying to help, in as much as I can imagine how painful it is to see your loved one in a situation like that, you still have to understand that you cannot force him to be responsible.

4 Likes

Re: Looking For Where To Rehabilitate A Brother Who Drinks Too Much by faithfull18(f): 4:53pm On Jun 04, 2020
Prodigee:
Lol, what I was going to say. He is frustrated.
Re: Looking For Where To Rehabilitate A Brother Who Drinks Too Much by omalicha2: 4:57pm On Jun 04, 2020
SmileDance:
you cannot chain him against his wish, he has a right to drink, he has a right to be jobless, he has a right not to get married. You cannot deny him his rights as a human being because you are trying to help, in as much as I can imagine how painful it is to see your loved one in a situation like that, you still have to understand that you cannot force him to be responsible.
hmmmm so no hope for us? I pity my mum
Re: Looking For Where To Rehabilitate A Brother Who Drinks Too Much by SmileDance(f): 5:08pm On Jun 04, 2020
omalicha2:
hmmmm so no hope for us? I pity my mum
A miracle can happen.

1 Like

Re: Looking For Where To Rehabilitate A Brother Who Drinks Too Much by adoreyou(m): 5:25pm On Jun 04, 2020
omalicha2:
His case is beyond this oo. We are tired, imagine at 40 he is jobless and not ready to do anything. Just drink alcohol and beg for money from family members.
You have stated d obvious.BOND with him.okay?
Re: Looking For Where To Rehabilitate A Brother Who Drinks Too Much by Nobody: 5:46pm On Jun 04, 2020
omalicha2:
At forty he has no job and is not ready to have one, He is not married and is not thinking towards that direction. His case is pathetic cos he stays for days without taking his bath and no woman will want to marry such person. Once he begs money from us he use it to drink alcohol

His joblessness and single life at his age could be the cause of the frustration that led to his drunkenness.

He won't be drunk 24/7, there will be time to sleep and he feels normal again immediately he wakes up. Meet him at that point, sit him down and have a heart to heart discussion with him.
If there's a way you can provide a job for him, pls do. Link him also to a girl in the village for marriage. His case is not totally useless, except it's spiritual....and even at that, there's no situation God can't change.

I have a cousin who is a graduate and almost 40. Since he lost his job some years back and he tried searching for another and couldn't find, he took to drinking and smoking. He's not married yet. He takes care of himself though.....like bathing, dressing well, and he speaks very good English too. He doesn't get drunk.

Most times, it's a person's situation that pushes the person into some dangerous lifestyle. Anytime I try to talk to him about the lifestyle, he tells me he wants death to take him....he's tired of the world.

So If you still insist on a rehab, we have rehabilitation centers in Lagos, I don't know of your state. Could give you their info if you want.

3 Likes

Re: Looking For Where To Rehabilitate A Brother Who Drinks Too Much by omalicha2: 5:54pm On Jun 04, 2020
OcVoice:

His joblessness and single life at his age could be the cause of the frustration that led to his drunkenness.

He won't be drunk 24/7, there will be time to sleep and he feels normal again immediately he wakes up. Meet him at that point, sit him down and have a heart to heart discussion with him.
If there's a way you can provide a job for him, pls do. Link him also to a girl in the village for marriage. His case is not totally useless, except it's spiritual....and even at that, there's no situation God can't change.

I have a cousin who is a graduate and almost 40. Since he lost his job some years back and he tried searching for another and couldn't find, he took to drinking and smoking. He's not married yet. He takes care of himself though.....like bathing, dressing well, and he speaks very good English too. He doesn't get drunk.

Most times, it's a person's situation that pushes the person into some dangerous lifestyle. Anytime I try to talk to him about the lifestyle, he tells me he wants death to take him....he's tired of the world.

So If you still insist on a rehab, we have rehabilitation centers in Lagos, I don't know of your state. Could give you their info if you want.
pls give me their info
Re: Looking For Where To Rehabilitate A Brother Who Drinks Too Much by YourCoffin: 6:06pm On Jun 04, 2020
omalicha2:

This is a symptom of a completely broken man. What led him to this state?

1 Like

Re: Looking For Where To Rehabilitate A Brother Who Drinks Too Much by Nobody: 6:12pm On Jun 04, 2020
omalicha2:
He has lost hope and has found solace in drinking
He need that regard ASAP. Was he a good person prior to this drinking? Or he's always been like that
Re: Looking For Where To Rehabilitate A Brother Who Drinks Too Much by Nobody: 6:15pm On Jun 04, 2020
omalicha2:
pls give me their info

1. House of Refuge:
Freedom Way, End of Admiralty Way, Lekki Phase 1, Lagos.
+234 808 729 0000
info@freedomfoundationng.org

2. Centre for corrections and human development:
39 Bode Thomas Street, Surulere, Lagos, Nigeria 0802 328 5610, 0803 324 4610, 0703 012 0303

3. Wellspring Rehabilitation Center:
3 Banigo Close, Off Akinrimisi Street, Isheri-Olowora, Lagos Nigeria 08094146799, 0907 0787909, 0807 079 012101 342 5355

4. Quit Addiction:
28 Ire-Akari Estate Road,, Isolo, Lagos, Nigeria0706 323 2008

1 Like

Re: Looking For Where To Rehabilitate A Brother Who Drinks Too Much by Mindlog: 6:31pm On Jun 04, 2020
Prodigee:
Na wa o! Well you can try looking for a psychiatrist. Not sure if we have those here. They can try hypnosis/hypnotherapy on him since it has gotten to this stage.

It is way beyond the psychiatrist, as treatment should multidisciplinary because alcoholism is a disease and biopsychosocial in nature, so treatment must also be biopsychosocial as it involves the psychiatrist, the mental health nurse, the psychologist, the occupational therapist, a spiritual/religious leader and the family of the alcoholic.

1 Like

Re: Looking For Where To Rehabilitate A Brother Who Drinks Too Much by omalicha2: 8:59pm On Jun 04, 2020
OcVoice:

1. House of Refuge:
Freedom Way, End of Admiralty Way, Lekki Phase 1, Lagos.
+234 808 729 0000
info@freedomfoundationng.org

2. Centre for corrections and human development:
39 Bode Thomas Street, Surulere, Lagos, Nigeria 0802 328 5610, 0803 324 4610, 0703 012 0303

3. Wellspring Rehabilitation Center:
3 Banigo Close, Off Akinrimisi Street, Isheri-Olowora, Lagos Nigeria 08094146799, 0907 0787909, 0807 079 012101 342 5355

4. Quit Addiction:
28 Ire-Akari Estate Road,, Isolo, Lagos, Nigeria0706 323 2008
Thanks so much I really appreciate
Re: Looking For Where To Rehabilitate A Brother Who Drinks Too Much by austine4real(m): 9:14pm On Jun 04, 2020
Is he ready too??

I'm asking so that ur s scarce resources won't be wasted
Re: Looking For Where To Rehabilitate A Brother Who Drinks Too Much by omalicha2: 9:15pm On Jun 04, 2020
Pls share info about any rehabilitation centre in south east or south south. It will be closer to us. Tanks
Re: Looking For Where To Rehabilitate A Brother Who Drinks Too Much by omalicha2: 9:18pm On Jun 04, 2020
austine4real:
Is he ready too??

I'm asking so that ur s scarce resources won't be wasted
He is not ready but our aim is confine him in a place he will not have access to drink for a long time. We dont mind spending money cos he is just a nuisance to the family. My mum is not happy at all about his condition

1 Like

Re: Looking For Where To Rehabilitate A Brother Who Drinks Too Much by austine4real(m): 9:53pm On Jun 04, 2020
omalicha2:
He is not ready but our aim is confine him in a place he will not have access to drink for a long time. We dont mind spending money cos he is just a nuisance to the family. My mum is not happy at all about his condition

Starts praying for him and have heart to heart talk with

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

How They Found A Fortune In The Belle Of A Whale! (Pictures) / Is It Possible To Love And Not Fight Your Mother-in-law / Shocking Response Nigerians Gave a Woman Whose Husband Raped Her 15yrs Daughter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.