Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,604 members, 7,812,975 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:50 AM

Giving Unto God - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Giving Unto God (1675 Views)

Is Menstruation Now A Sin Unto God??? / Give Money Unto God, But Send It To My Address / Be Acceptable Unto God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Giving Unto God by mazaje(m): 7:17pm On Jan 21, 2011
Why do people give unto God? People claim that their God owns everything and needs nothing yet when you read the bible(OT especially) you will see Yahweh directing people to offer things unto him, things like human and animal sacrifice, farm produce etc and getting very upset if they refuse to obey his injunctions. Why does a God that is said to own everything and need nothing command people to give him things?. . . . .All this injunction from the bible God to give unto him sounds like the words of the needy rather than of the laudable self-sufficient one, no?. . . . .Why does a God that is alleged to own everything and in need of nothing need animal sacrifice for example?. . . .
Re: Giving Unto God by yommyuk: 3:40am On Jan 22, 2011
The first giving is the giving of ourselves to the Lord - 2 Cor. 8:5

"They even did more than we hope for, for their actions was to give themselves to the Lord and to us, just as God wanted them to do.

God is not interested in your gifts or scarfices until He has you. We give of the "means" of what God has entrusted to us. Christian giving is a choice. We should give on our own accord as purposed in our heart.

2 Cor 8:3 told us about people who gave not only what they could afford, but far more. Doing it of their own freewill.

No be by force bros.
Re: Giving Unto God by Jenwitemi(m): 9:34am On Jan 22, 2011
THE BIBLE GOD NEEDS MONEY!! The fake bible God does not own anything and that is why he always hungers for what belongs to others. The guy is pathetic.
mazaje:

Why do people give unto God? People claim that their God owns everything and needs nothing yet when you read the bible(OT especially) you will see Yahweh directing people to offer things unto him, things like human and animal sacrifice, farm produce etc and getting very upset if they refuse to obey his injunctions. Why does a God that is said to own everything and need nothing command people to give him things?. . . . .All this injunction from the bible God to give unto him sounds like the words of the needy rather than of the laudable self-sufficient one, no?. . . . .Why does a God that is alleged to own everything and in need of nothing need animal sacrifice for example?. . . .
Re: Giving Unto God by Dulcet7(m): 4:29pm On Jan 22, 2011
Giving is a symbolic action.

Many things people do in religion represent something much deeper but often it gets so commonplace over time that the true spiritual essence is entirely lost. In some cases it becomes corrupted or ba$tardized: I do not believe anyone should ever be asked to give to God, except if at the time of telling, they did not know what giving to God symbolizes. For someone who is not new in any faith, they should never be told to give. If they love their God, it will be natural to show it by caring for their fellow man.

When you give, it shows your heart's passion towards the cause. In the case of giving to God, it shows you have more passion or love towards him, enough to put him on a high level on your scale of preferences: your money being an outward representation your influence or values. Remember the widow's mite. She gave her whole being in that tiny monetary piece.
Re: Giving Unto God by mazaje(m): 5:42pm On Jan 22, 2011
yommyuk:

The first giving is the giving of ourselves to the Lord - 2 Cor. 8:5

"They even did more than we hope for, for their actions was to give themselves to the Lord and to us, just as God wanted them to do.

God is not interested in your gifts or scarfices until He has you. We give of the "means" of what God has entrusted to us. Christian giving is a choice. We should give on our own accord as purposed in our heart.

2 Cor 8:3 told us about people who gave not only what they could afford, but far more. Doing it of their own freewill.

No be by force bros.

The part I highlighted s false. Read the OT again. . . .
Re: Giving Unto God by yommyuk: 8:26pm On Jan 22, 2011
God is not interested in your gifts or scarfices until He has you.

The above scripture was taken from the NT. 2 Corin 8:5. How can it be false? unless you are among those who do not believe in the bible.

Read the OT again. . . .

I beg point me in the right direction smiley
Re: Giving Unto God by nuclearboy(m): 6:55am On Jan 23, 2011
Yommy is asking if Mazaje believes in the Bible! Wonderment grin

@Mazaje:

What say you to this statement - "Where your treasure is, there will your Heart also be" ? Those who replied you have pointed out that it is the Man God is after. The point is Man often lives with his "treasures". You believe God doesn't exist which if nothing else, means you KNOW God is not physical. Why would a non-physical being then require the physical things you outlined if not to get a non-physical thing - Worship?
Re: Giving Unto God by Azibalua(f): 1:55pm On Jan 23, 2011
mazaje:

The God we serve is highly principled,and giving is a law at work,he demonstrated his love for us when he gave us his son
John 3:16-17
16 For God so greatly loved and dearly prized the world that He[ even] gave up His only begotten( a unique) Son, so that whoever believes in( trusts in, clings to, relies on) Him shall not perish( come to destruction, be lost) but have eternal( everlasting) life. 17 For God did not send the Son into the world in order to judge( to reject, to condemn, to pass sentence on) the world, but that the world might find salvation and be made safe and sound through Him.

He does not ask for things because he is all sufficient but rather for our own good
Luke 6:38
38 Give, and[ gifts] will be given to you; good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and running over, will they pour a into[ the pouch formed by] the bosom[ of your robe and used as a bag]. For with the measure you deal out[ with the measure you use when you confer benefits on others], it will be measured back to you.

When we give to god we express our love towards him
Re: Giving Unto God by Nsiman(m): 4:50pm On Jan 23, 2011
@ mazaje, God has change the mode of old testament worship and he is pleased with the one he initiated to us thru Jesus Christ. Tho its a way of testing our faith but gifts in the church was never ever meant to send it direct to God. Greed has made church leaders that they don't use the gift in the church judiciously. They are meant for the church and members needs, Members varrious needs. Read Acts 2: 1-down.
Re: Giving Unto God by yommyuk: 8:59pm On Jan 23, 2011
You believe God doesn't exist which if nothing else, means you KNOW God is not physical.

@nuclearboy
an oversight on my part. I would normally dig into people's background b4 I reply. Never knew I was replying an athiest embarassed grin
Re: Giving Unto God by nuclearboy(m): 9:44pm On Jan 23, 2011
^^Well, its not a disease though we'd like it were not so. Anyways, with him, you're facing a mind, not a collection of fancy quotes so be on your guard.
Re: Giving Unto God by mabell: 10:08pm On Jan 23, 2011
God is big, God is huge
He is the greatest giver, he gave us the best gift which was his only son,Jesus
He gave us the life we live, the air we breath e.t.c
Now tell me someone that is the possessor of heaven and earth, how will you say He is in need and that is why we give?
How absurd!

We give for different reasons, we give out of love to both God and man
We give as we have being mandated to
We give to meet needs of people
We give to be blessed and so on
It is necessary we give for our own benefit and our future but it is by choice
'You can force the horse to the river but you cannot force him to drink of the river' as the saying goes
There is compulsion attached to it but its your choice to make
Cos its for your own good and not God's good
Re: Giving Unto God by mazaje(m): 6:55pm On Jan 24, 2011
mabell:

God is big, God is huge
He is the greatest giver, he gave us the best gift which was his only son,Jesus
He gave us the life we live, the air we breath e.t.c

Now tell me someone that is the possessor of heaven and earth, how will you say He is in need and that is why we give?
How absurd!

We give for different reasons, we give out of love to both God and man
We give as we have being mandated to
We give to meet needs of people
We give to be blessed and so on
It is necessary we give for our own benefit and our future but it is by choice
'You can force the horse to the river but you cannot force him to drink of the river' as the saying goes
There is compulsion attached to it but its your choice to make
Cos its for your own good and not God's good

I just asked a simple question and it seems nobody here wants to touch it. . . .Why does a God that owns everything need animal sacrifice for example?. . . .Check the OT you will see where Yahweh send injunctions to the Jews with regards to how they should go about sacrificing animals unto him. I just want to know why that is?. . . .
Re: Giving Unto God by nuclearboy(m): 8:58pm On Jan 24, 2011
I responded to your query - Time & Money (call it wealth/possessions or whatever) are likely the two most important things to us as humans.

Requiring regular rituals which took time and cost wealth ensued that the people had cause to as it were, invest in something they didn't see. Their treasure was with God.

On the God "side", what does a spirit require burnt flesh for? Food? Drink? We can readily strike these out and thus are left with the intangible - worship and eyes set on high i.e. towards God
Re: Giving Unto God by InesQor(m): 9:26pm On Jan 24, 2011
@nuclearboy: Bros whaddup? smiley We should see again soon. . . Keep you posted!
Re: Giving Unto God by nuclearboy(m): 6:19pm On Jan 25, 2011
ok Bro smiley
Re: Giving Unto God by mazaje(m): 7:01pm On Jan 25, 2011
nuclearboy:

I responded to your query - Time & Money (call it wealth/possessions or whatever) are likely the two most important things to us as humans.

Requiring regular rituals which took time and cost wealth ensued that the people had cause to as it were, invest in something they didn't see. Their treasure was with God.

On the God "side", what does a spirit require burnt flesh for? Food? Drink? We can readily strike these out and thus are left with the intangible - worship and eyes set on high i.e. towards God

Fair enough, this is the most logical explanation so far even though I disagree with some of your submissions. . . . . .
Re: Giving Unto God by nuclearboy(m): 7:27pm On Jan 25, 2011
^^

Could you please detail specifics of what you disagree with?
Re: Giving Unto God by mazaje(m): 7:38pm On Jan 25, 2011
^^

I was talking about context, OT context that is. . . . .You talked about a spirit not requiring burnt flesh for anything but the bible talks about Yahweh liking the smell of burnt offering. . . . . .If worship is the ultimate reason for all these, then why tell people that they rob you when they fail to offer things(tithes and offerings) unto you? At least that is what is written in some parts of the bible. . . . .Or is it only me that is seeing things differently? grin
Re: Giving Unto God by nuclearboy(m): 7:57pm On Jan 25, 2011
Oh, I see.

On Liking the smell - The sacrificing parties went through the entire process as required thereby pleasing the recipient of the sacrifice. Note the end would be smell of burning flesh after which there'd be "nothing".

Robbing God - Malachi is an indictment of the priests who stole the portions meant for others and effectively didn't allow the sacrifices occur as they were meant to thus not allowing the smell of the sacrifices rise. Do not ever believe the version reeled out by the criminals on the pulpits. They worship their tummies but use the pulpit to achieve their aim. Malachi 1:6 states who was being addressed and you can clarify for yourself.

Seeing things differently - I guess I'd call it more of skimming through and accepting the marketing campaigns of supposed MOGS as representative of reality. Believe me - if their version was true, I'd be atheist too

(1) (Reply)

What Is This Rumour Am Hearing About "The Lord's Chosen Church" !!! / If Jesus Was In..nigeria,which Church Would Jesus Attend? / If Adam And Eve Didnt Eat The Fruit,wont Their Children Eat It?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.