Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,149 members, 7,849,579 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 03:27 AM

In Your Own Opion, What Is The Solution To Racism - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / In Your Own Opion, What Is The Solution To Racism (471 Views)

Nigerians Are Worst Than White When It Comes To Racism / This Boy Wanted To Come Home Due To Racism / Seriously: Is Racism A Bad Thing? (is There A Good Side To Racism?) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

In Your Own Opion, What Is The Solution To Racism by Ovie56(m): 10:08pm On Jun 05, 2020
If America doesn't have so much influence on the world we won't be discussing this in Nigeria, but it is what it is.

In light of recent event of the brutal and unjust killing of George Floyd a black American by a White Police officer, Floyd who was arrested for spending a fake $20 note was killed in what is clearly an unjust act of Police brutality, the #BlackLivesMatter has been trending, Protester, Rioters and looter took over the streets of American cities to show their anger and to take advantage of the protest to steal in the case of thw looters.

What i'm yet to see is the way forward, solution to Racism.
Everyone including celebs that has big platform om social media are showing their outrage but no one is suggesting a practical solution.

The proposed solution i've see online include Defunding and Disbanding the Police departments which seems more a lunatic suggestion rather than a practical solution

And if you think President Trump is the cause of all this you are wrong, a black man was the president in 2009-2017 yet we recorded more cases of Racism and police brutality during his administration.

Democrats and Republicans and just using the masses for their power tussle especially the Democrats, no party has suggested a piece of Legislation to be enact to curb this and i personally don't think there can be a special law for Black and minorites group.
we are just reacting emotionally, no one is thinking of a way forward.

So what do you think can be done.
Re: In Your Own Opion, What Is The Solution To Racism by WeneDiali: 10:10pm On Jun 05, 2020
Find solution to tribalism first. Charity begins at home.
Re: In Your Own Opion, What Is The Solution To Racism by Ovie56(m): 10:11pm On Jun 05, 2020
WeneDiali:
Find solution to tribalism first. Charity begins at home.
Sure, can you give me your opinion on how to stop Tribalism pls.
Re: In Your Own Opion, What Is The Solution To Racism by Ezedikechinedu1(m): 10:11pm On Jun 05, 2020
Africans should unite them selves together and stop corruption , with time will rule the world
#Learnfrom_Gadafi
Re: In Your Own Opion, What Is The Solution To Racism by Ovie56(m): 10:17pm On Jun 05, 2020
Ezedikechinedu1:
Africans should unite them selves together and stop corruption , with time will rule the world
#Learnfrom_Gadafi
Yea, we'll rule the world making white people the minorities and then another form of Racism will start, Black against white, doesn't seem like a lasting solution
Re: In Your Own Opion, What Is The Solution To Racism by Nobody: 10:17pm On Jun 05, 2020
Zero tolerance for hate speech and public verbal abuse of other races
Re: In Your Own Opion, What Is The Solution To Racism by edoairways: 10:20pm On Jun 05, 2020
Racism will never end let's tell ourselves the truth.

1 Like

Re: In Your Own Opion, What Is The Solution To Racism by Ovie56(m): 10:20pm On Jun 05, 2020
MinorityOpinion:
Hate speech is surely a criminal offence, but it borders close to freedom of speech, which is important in every progressive society.
Re: In Your Own Opion, What Is The Solution To Racism by Ovie56(m): 10:21pm On Jun 05, 2020
edoairways:
Racism will never end let's tell ourselves the truth.
But it is dying gradually.
Re: In Your Own Opion, What Is The Solution To Racism by emae009(m): 10:21pm On Jun 05, 2020
I think the problem is with the media as they influence the masses. We keep reading stuff like first black man, first woman. Aren't we all humans??
Just like the OP referring to Obama as a black man instead of an American. that ideology that's in all of us is where the problem actually lies.
Re: In Your Own Opion, What Is The Solution To Racism by Ovie56(m): 10:23pm On Jun 05, 2020
emae009:
I think the problem is with the media as they influence the masses. We keep reading stuff like first black man, first woman. Aren't we all humans??
Just like the OP referring to Obama as a black man instead of an American. that ideology that's in all of us is where the problem actually lies.
I understand what you mean, i don't subscribe to identity politics just for sake of comparison for people claiming it is because the have a white president.
Re: In Your Own Opion, What Is The Solution To Racism by Nobody: 10:24pm On Jun 05, 2020
Ovie56:
Hate speech is surely criminal but it borders close to freedom of speech, which is important in every progressive society.

A normal human knows the difference between hate speech and freedom of speech, unless we're kidding ourselves
Re: In Your Own Opion, What Is The Solution To Racism by edoairways: 10:26pm On Jun 05, 2020
Ovie56:
Yeah it is however it has come to stay. Africans have to deal with their own problem especially as it relates to tribalism. If an Igbo lady who got appointed in a Yoruba state was castigated then Africans(especially Nigeria) has along way to go.

1 Like

Re: In Your Own Opion, What Is The Solution To Racism by Ovie56(m): 10:29pm On Jun 05, 2020
MinorityOpinion:

A normal human knows the difference between hate speech and freedom of speech, unless we're kidding ourselves
Some words have been made criminal to use, nobody openly say those words, but fact is some human being are scum, since democracy works there as it should you'll not even have financial backing to sue them.
Re: In Your Own Opion, What Is The Solution To Racism by JamisiEwoooo: 10:30pm On Jun 05, 2020
[s]
MinorityOpinion:

[/s]
Re: In Your Own Opion, What Is The Solution To Racism by JamisiEwoooo: 10:32pm On Jun 05, 2020
[s]
MinorityOpinion:
[/s]
Re: In Your Own Opion, What Is The Solution To Racism by babyfaceafrica: 10:32pm On Jun 05, 2020
Ovie56:
dying where?
Re: In Your Own Opion, What Is The Solution To Racism by edoairways: 10:34pm On Jun 05, 2020
emae009:
That was what an African lady said some days back. Blacks kill blacks on daily basis in Chicago, you rarely see the media portray that. But when it involves a white man killing a black man they suddenly report that. A white man kills a white man the news report is less, no protest but let it involve a black man the media is set ablaze. This is the same country that recorded high cases of covid-19 yet you see thousands of them protesting. Some aren't observing physical distance, some are looting etc

1 Like

Re: In Your Own Opion, What Is The Solution To Racism by babyfaceafrica: 10:35pm On Jun 05, 2020
emae009:
you may be right with the media but it won't stop... There is no better news than divisive news, bad news and politics of tribe. It sells!!.. Take a look at nairaland for examole... Any news that is full of tribal insults and bigotry has lots of comments that is why the mods don't ban them... Traffic!!!
Re: In Your Own Opion, What Is The Solution To Racism by Ovie56(m): 10:35pm On Jun 05, 2020
babyfaceafrica:
dying where?
Racism is not as big as it was, people of all colours are coming together to denouce it, human beings generally are becoming more progressive, if you commit an act of Racism on social media you'll be de-platformed.
Re: In Your Own Opion, What Is The Solution To Racism by Karlifate: 10:36pm On Jun 05, 2020
Racism won't end. Some set of people will always feel & act superior to others.
Life ain't fair. So, don't expect it to be.
Re: In Your Own Opion, What Is The Solution To Racism by Ezedikechinedu1(m): 10:37pm On Jun 05, 2020
Ovie56:
Yea, we'll rule the world making white people the minorities and then another form of Racism will start, Black against white, doesn't seem like a lasting solution
Bro those guys has insulted us for a long time. But the Truth is that racism is not about our color, its simply because they know that Africa is not developed like their own country, just like some people will insult anybody from abakiliki
Re: In Your Own Opion, What Is The Solution To Racism by Ovie56(m): 10:38pm On Jun 05, 2020
I can't think of a solution, no one has suggested a practical one yet, this is just hopeless.
Re: In Your Own Opion, What Is The Solution To Racism by babyfaceafrica: 10:39pm On Jun 05, 2020
Ovie56:
Racism is not as big as it was, people of all colours are coming together to denouce it, human beings generally are becoming more progressive, if you commit an act of Racism on social media you'll be de-platformed.

What about systematic racism?.. The ones ingrained
Re: In Your Own Opion, What Is The Solution To Racism by Ovie56(m): 10:40pm On Jun 05, 2020
babyfaceafrica:

What about systematic racism?.. The ones ingrained
Show me the legislation backing systematic Racism. Black Americans have equal oppurtunity in government institutions, in fact every thing government related including office of the president.
Re: In Your Own Opion, What Is The Solution To Racism by babyfaceafrica: 10:42pm On Jun 05, 2020
Ovie56:
Show me the legislation backing systematic Racism.
Hahahaha..yiu make me laugh
Re: In Your Own Opion, What Is The Solution To Racism by rash47(m): 11:30pm On Jun 05, 2020
By relocation of all blacks back to their ancestral land of Africa

(1) (Reply)

Proof That Nigerians Insulted, Wished MASSOB, BZM Members Death / Opinion: The Man To Take-over From President Buhari In 2023 / A ‘Good Setback’ By 60 Years - Femi Adesina

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.