Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,341 members, 7,815,684 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:31 PM

FG To Tax Netflix, Facebook, Twitter, Others - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG To Tax Netflix, Facebook, Twitter, Others (40781 Views)

Nigeria Makes N2tn Taxes From Google, Netflix, Facebook And Other Foreign Tech G / From ‘Civil War Tweet’ To Tax Talks — Timeline How FG, Twitter Negotiation Ended / Senate Proposes Law To Tax Nigerians For Using Data And DSTV (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG To Tax Netflix, Facebook, Twitter, Others by Chimasoka: 6:54pm On Jun 07, 2020
Rape/Murder The New Nigerian Gift to a Female Child

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80d0MTu5wuo
Re: FG To Tax Netflix, Facebook, Twitter, Others by Nobody: 6:55pm On Jun 07, 2020
seunmsg:

Is the new law made to tax your data or tax the companies making money from Nigeria? If Nairaland is paying taxes in Nigeria, why should Facebook, Netflix, Twitter etc not pay taxes from the revenue made in Nigeria?

Are these companies paying taxes in Europe or not? So, why should they not pay taxes in Nigeria despite generating income from the country?

Will the next government not benefit from the tax reforms that the current government is carrying out? Must you guys criticize everything?

See, this new law is long overdue. It should have been in place a long time ago.
Yes they're paying tax in Europe I.e the UK but they've got support teams working in the UK and they got offices for that, I don't know about Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: FG To Tax Netflix, Facebook, Twitter, Others by Nobody: 6:56pm On Jun 07, 2020
yesloaded:
You don't get it!
Are Nigerians not paying enough tax before?
Why killing us with heavy tax with nothing to show for it?
Because they must pay tax then we kill Nigerians with tax?
we won't pay more just for surfing the internet.
if you can't afford any other services they are rendering, please stop paying.
Re: FG To Tax Netflix, Facebook, Twitter, Others by Membis333: 6:57pm On Jun 07, 2020
Nonsense, the other taxes Nigeria is collecting what are they using it for? God punish our evil leaders all
Re: FG To Tax Netflix, Facebook, Twitter, Others by yesloaded: 6:59pm On Jun 07, 2020
Lostz:

we won't pay more just for surfing the internet.

if you can't afford any other services they are rendering, please stop paying.
You don't get it

Gotv & dstv passed the tax to their subscriber, so who's paying the tax at the end of the day? Company or subscribers(Nigerians)?

2 Likes

Re: FG To Tax Netflix, Facebook, Twitter, Others by COMPAQ(m): 7:05pm On Jun 07, 2020
Kriss216:
Presidebt Buhari and APC fit wake up one morning begin Tax us for breathing. cry

Report says Tax Netflix. Doesn't say tax individuals.

If American companies make profits from Nigeria, why shouldn't they pay tax. There are quite a lot of people with Netflix accounts in Nigeria.

Even if 500,000 people are paying $9.99 a month, that's $60m leaving our system per year. If govt applies 7.5% Vat on that, it equates to $4.5mln per year. Its something.

1 Like

Re: FG To Tax Netflix, Facebook, Twitter, Others by Nobody: 7:05pm On Jun 07, 2020
yesloaded:

You don't get it

Gotv & dstv passed the tax to their subscriber, so who's paying the tax at the end of the day? Company or subscribers(Nigerians)?

how will Facebook, Google etc pass the tax if you don't use any of their pay to use services?

they should stop operating in Nigeria if they are not ready to pay tax

1 Like

Re: FG To Tax Netflix, Facebook, Twitter, Others by Omooba77: 7:05pm On Jun 07, 2020
seunmsg:

You really need to stop, bro. Your argument is really laughable and becoming embarrassing.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/24/states-are-imposing-a-netflix-and-spotify-tax-to-raise-money.html
https://www.snopes.com/news/2019/02/13/netflix-tax-law/

There are better things to generate revenue bro if we are a serious country. California has little oil, but her economy is bigger than many nations. We are a lazy nation looking for 'easy'revenue.
We can not get much from Netflix and co, if we get any.
Go and learn more about taxable revenues sir
Re: FG To Tax Netflix, Facebook, Twitter, Others by Nobody: 7:06pm On Jun 07, 2020
yinchar:
Nigerians!!!

This is the new norm, every country is doing it now. You can’t be making money from a country and not pay tax!

Every foreign purchase from eBay or Amazon is subjected to online tax, which mean you paying tax to that country, because it’s a law.

Same thing should apply in Nigeria as well, online companies irrespective of where they are based or located should pay tax for income originating from Nigeria.
They pay no tax to Nigeria because they do not have a physical presence in Nigeria, now we are no longer relying on physical presence.”
The current system for taxing multinationals is based on where they are physically located, which sees Internet companies such as Facebook pay the majority of their tax in the US.

“Under the new Act, once you have a significant economic presence in Nigeria, you are liable to tax whether you are resident here or not,” he noted, adding that non-residents, who previously had no fixed address would now be taxed under the new Act.
But I am in doubt if Facebook would pay but I don't think they would pay, let see what would happen, our leaders aren't smart enough when Mark Zuckerberg came to Nigeria why didn't they use the opportunity to make them know their stand. Let see how it goes.
Source. https://nairametrics.com/2020/02/16/zuckerberg-to-support-international-tax-reform/
Re: FG To Tax Netflix, Facebook, Twitter, Others by Nobody: 7:09pm On Jun 07, 2020
onyechez:

Yes they're paying tax in Europe I.e the UK but they've got support teams working in the UK and they got offices for that, I don't know about Nigeria.
they don't have support team all over Europe.

all these companies normally place their office in countries that offer them favourable taxes while they make money from the rest with zero taxes. that is why countries like France and Nigeria are upgrading their tax rules to get something from them
Re: FG To Tax Netflix, Facebook, Twitter, Others by Omooba77: 7:10pm On Jun 07, 2020
yesloaded:

That's what the likes of seunmsg failed to comprehend

If I tell you how much have lost to FG between the month of April till now all in the name of stamp duty, it's enough to purchase landed property yet I couldn't feel any impact of tax.

They know the truth, it just that they must defend every government policy
Re: FG To Tax Netflix, Facebook, Twitter, Others by Bekool(m): 7:13pm On Jun 07, 2020
Omooba77:

https://punchng.com/fg-plans-to-tax-netflix-facebook-others/

Buhari's regime is looking for any means possible to pay back all the billions of dollars he has been borrowing since he came to power.
Re: FG To Tax Netflix, Facebook, Twitter, Others by AsawanaDgreat: 7:16pm On Jun 07, 2020
See them.
Re: FG To Tax Netflix, Facebook, Twitter, Others by titu123: 7:16pm On Jun 07, 2020
Wi-Fi is the name of a wireless networking technology that uses radio waves to provide wireless high-speed Internet and network connections. A common misconception is that the term Wi-Fi is short for "wireless fidelity," (wifi full form)however this is not the case. Wi-Fi is simply a trademarked phrase that means IEEE 802.11x. Source UPSC study online
Re: FG To Tax Netflix, Facebook, Twitter, Others by Nobody: 7:18pm On Jun 07, 2020
nencounter10:

My how do they target ads at me?

After you do a Google search, watch out for the ads you see on YouTube and other sites that have Google ads
Re: FG To Tax Netflix, Facebook, Twitter, Others by Kriss216: 7:19pm On Jun 07, 2020
COMPAQ:

If American companies make profits from Nigeria, why shouldn't they pay tax. There are quite a lot of people with Netflix accounts in Nigeria.

Even if 500,000 people are paying $9.99 a month, that's $60m leaving our system per year. If govt applies 7.5% Vat on that, it equates to $4.5mln per year. Its something.
So, what will now happen to the $4.5M acquired yearly
Re: FG To Tax Netflix, Facebook, Twitter, Others by olattech: 7:23pm On Jun 07, 2020
Olattech: How To Browse The Internet For Free Using This.... https://olattech..com/2020/06/how-to-browse-internet-for-free-using.html
Re: FG To Tax Netflix, Facebook, Twitter, Others by Nobody: 7:26pm On Jun 07, 2020
Omooba77:

You pay them using your data, even after subscribing.
You know FG can not tax all these platforms, the taxes will be pass down to direct consumers. Just as they do for data subscription, payment for PHCN, DSTV and so on.

Exactly. They are just going to end up taxing us.
Re: FG To Tax Netflix, Facebook, Twitter, Others by illicit(m): 7:26pm On Jun 07, 2020
Planning ke

What a stupid govt
Re: FG To Tax Netflix, Facebook, Twitter, Others by COMPAQ(m): 7:31pm On Jun 07, 2020
Kriss216:

So, what will now happen to the $4.5M acquired yearly

Well, agreed potential to be stolen. But perhaps that's where you and me fail. Millions of people in US came out to protest against police for George Floyd's death.

But all of us put our heads in the sand for far greater atrocities in Nigeria by our politicians.
Re: FG To Tax Netflix, Facebook, Twitter, Others by nencounter10: 7:32pm On Jun 07, 2020
airsaylongcom:

After you do a Google search, watch out for the ads you see on YouTube and other sites that have Google ads

Oh! I see!
Re: FG To Tax Netflix, Facebook, Twitter, Others by MondayOsunbor(m): 7:34pm On Jun 07, 2020
danielconstant:
No insults please...just read and move on wink

this woman is soooo draft

it is embarrassing
Re: FG To Tax Netflix, Facebook, Twitter, Others by MondayOsunbor(m): 7:37pm On Jun 07, 2020
COMPAQ:

so how will nigeria govt tax twitter abeg ###
Re: FG To Tax Netflix, Facebook, Twitter, Others by deji17: 7:41pm On Jun 07, 2020
SeverusSnape:
sad

We don suffer for this country under this administration. Tax that they will still embezzle, Afterwards, They run to IMF or China for loan.

But without tax, Govt cannot build roads , hospitals etc. So which one do you want?
Re: FG To Tax Netflix, Facebook, Twitter, Others by anigbajumo(m): 7:43pm On Jun 07, 2020
kikero:

It still means higher taxes.

The fact is, when I hear the 'we have lots of natural resources' I just laugh. The truth is, the prices of these resources are 1) not controlled by us 2) fluctuate like oil prices.Also, it is going to take years to regulate the mining of all these resources...especially as most of it is illegaly mined. And don't mention agriculture. Less than 10% of our agriculture is mechanized, plus we don't have the guaranteed markets we had in the 1960's and 70's anymore...we have to compete with all sorts of other countries.

As for power supply, the truth is, many Nigerians don't pay for the power they use, and many of them won't pay under fiscal federalism (We privatised power in 2014...and since then all the DISCOS are running at a loss because in many aprts of the country...50% of the populace don't pay.).

Our police can't work well, because they don't get enough cash to do so.(We spend $2 billion dollars to fund the police force that is supposed to police 200million people, the UK spends ten times that to police 60million people). And regional police is an invitation to anarchy.(the pogroms of 1966 were made easier by a regionalised police force.There is a reason why the Police force is federal).

And finally scrapping the National assembly does not mean corruption ends...especially as the regional assemblies would be corrupt too (state aseemblies have the same issue).

Let's become an industrial nation first. It is sad that this APC government is not serious about that. THEN...we can talk about fiscal federalism. We are not rich enough to get to fiscal federalism.

Lol, For how many years as country we are going to be practicing a monopolized economy?? It's is not easy to become an industrial nation, average Nigerian like me and you can't endure. Hope you knw the number of years China shut her boarder to be able to achieve the fit it is today, just a year PMB closed the boarder people are shouting. China close her boarder for good 30yrs, I stand to be corrected.

Regional government works during the time of Zik,Awolowo and Ahmodu Bello and generations to generations will continue to see their legacy, everything went absurd wen we start this nonsense unitry system of government.

Yes,we can't control the price of all these mineral resources but once the Constitution is amended, most of these mineral resources will be tapped in high quantities not even necessarily for exports but will triggered local production of our primary needs,more companies will come in thereby reducing unemployment. Some will go for export while some will be used as raw material, it will increase our FX. Mechanized farming is also another added advantage, let me give u an example. Niger state is 4x larger than Holland,just check the amount of money Holland is generating from agriculture everi year, it's nothing but mechanized farming. Spain is one of the largest producer of tomato in the world, just Google search the billion of dollars they are generating from exportation of tomatoes to other countries, It is not a rocket to science to learn from them,send expert to Spain or sign a mou with them and get things done here.Fiscal federalism will force our Governors to think outside the box,we av many ways to prosper in this country only if we can put end to sharing of oil money every month, it makes Nigeria as a country unproductive.

Fiscal federalism is even very easy for each region to industrialised their region, just solve the issue of power supply and see industries troops in, we can't become an industrial nation and be generating mere 2_4k megawatt in a country of over 200 million people, there are many ways of generating electricity. Hope you knw trash there at ojota can power over 1,000 mega watts of power,go to Ekiti and see water at Ikun wasting not to talk of Erin ijesha or ikogosi. Wind,Solar and other means can be used to generate electricity not by privatising the sector and some useless power companies milking average Nigerians dry... Go and read about the power sector, if FG have to terminate the agreement they had with Genco nd DISCOS we are to pay up 8 billion dollars, imagine Nigeria that is seeking for external loan of 1.5 billion dollars from China some years ago, that is to tell you that we are in big problem, tell me how unitry system of government can put end to this in the next 15_20 yrs, practically not possible so how can we achieve the industrial nation you are talking about with this present system if the issue of power is not solved??

Regional police can't bring anarchy, Legal framework is there to back it up. With regional police and community policing more fund will be awarded into the security ministry at state and local level with modern technology in each region.

Finally, hope u aware wen sanusi said over 25% of the national budget is going to the pocket of NASS even at this critical time av u heard any deduction of salary by government or reduction of cost of governance, u can't overlook this factor,it is a major factor that we av to look into and if we don't scarp the system there might not be any change in the next 50 yrs.

1 Like

Re: FG To Tax Netflix, Facebook, Twitter, Others by Sonicroyel: 7:45pm On Jun 07, 2020
if this goes through we're doomed WhatsApp will begin to charge yearly
Re: FG To Tax Netflix, Facebook, Twitter, Others by Tunar18(m): 7:48pm On Jun 07, 2020
I wonder why some of you nairalanders can stop showing lack of courtesy. Can't you make a point with sound etiquette without Insulting?

Meanwhile, if you are being charged as a business person, it is part of your operational cost and of course, you are charging your customer for the service. So it isn't a loss except you don't understand business.

Do I need to explain that?

What you are complaining of is happening everywhere around the world. It is the norm. Common man won't suffer such tax by using those social media platforms but those doing business with them in terms of advertising.

So, since it is business, refer to my explanation above
yesloaded:

Some have lost over 500k

If you do business that requires moving of money into your account then you will understand what am saying

Ask any eccurency exchanger around you the numbers of credit & debit transactions they have each day. In a day you can have over 100 transactions!

Use your head

Check below image, USA govt imposed tax on ebay purchase but it's customer that ended up paying the tax

Gotv & dstv subscription should tells you who's paying the tax imposed on the company by FG
Re: FG To Tax Netflix, Facebook, Twitter, Others by Worksunlimited: 7:52pm On Jun 07, 2020
Omooba77:

https://punchng.com/fg-plans-to-tax-netflix-facebook-others/

So basically, FG wants them to pay for their stewpid loans and un-necessary spendings..

All the loans wey una dey collect since nko?

All the Abacha loot wey una recover nko?

All the funds wey efcc don recover nko?

1 Like

Re: FG To Tax Netflix, Facebook, Twitter, Others by yesloaded: 7:53pm On Jun 07, 2020
Tunar18:
I wonder why some of you nairalanders can stop showing lack of courtesy. Can't you make a point with sound etiquette without Insulting?

Meanwhile, if you are being charged as a business person, it is part of your operational cost and of course, you are charging your customer for the service. So it isn't a loss except you don't understand business.

Do I need to explain that?

What you are complaining of is happening everywhere around the world. It is the norm. Common man won't suffer such tax by using those social media platforms but those doing business with them in terms of advertising.

So, since it is business, refer to my explanation above

What you failed to understand is that it's not every business that you passed burden of rubbish tax on your customer

Take for instance exchange business, in some instances you will e unable to fulfil some order and there will be need for you to refund customer now tell me you as a customer, I was unable to fulfil order but still want to deduct money from your payment, how would you feel?

I doubt you are a business man anyway so I will leave you to your things

Mind you, I know what am saying when I complain about excessive tax

Go and ask importers how far and they will tell you whats up

I won't argue with you any further because you seems not to understand what we are discussing here
Re: FG To Tax Netflix, Facebook, Twitter, Others by Nobody: 7:55pm On Jun 07, 2020
anigbajumo:

Lol, For how many years as country we are going to be practicing a monopolized economy?? It's is not easy to become an industrial nation, average Nigerian like me and you can't endure. Hope you knw the number of years China shut her boarder to be able to achieve the fit it is today, just a year PMB closed the boarder people are shouting. China close her boarder for good 30yrs, I stand to be corrected.

China also had the incentive to be industrial, as they have no resources to export.

Regional government works during the time of Zik,Awolowo and Ahmodu Bello and generations to generations will continue to see their legacy, everything went absurd wen we start this nonsense unitry system of government

In 1960'S we had a guaranteed market for our agricutural products. That started to change from the 1970's when we lost the guaranteed market in the UK.(Other countries like New Zealand who used to sell their agric produce to the UK too had that problem). Oil revenues covered up for the losses until 1982 when the price crashed, and we went into recession.

Also, a disproportionate amount of the regional funds were spent in the urban areas. If you lived in the villages, good luck. No light, no potable water, no good roads even. State creation was what brought some development closer to the people.Even in the urban areas, not everyone benefited from regional government.(As an example, these phones we are using. Under regional governemt very few people had phones.)

And regional government was not free from corruption too either. There is a reason why the January coup happened..

Yes,we can't control the price of all these mineral resources but once the Constitution is amended, most of these mineral resources will be tapped in high quantities not even necessarily for exports but will triggered local production of our primary needs,more companies will come in thereby reducing unemployment. Some will go for export while some will be used as raw material, it will increase our FX. Mechanized farming is also another added advantage, let me give u an example. Niger state is 4x larger than Holland,just check the amount of money Holland is generating from agriculture everi year, it's nothing but mechanized farming. Spain is one of the largest producer of tomato in the world, just Google search the billion of dollars they are generating from exportation of tomatoes to other countries, It is not a rocket to science to learn from them,send expert to Spain or sign a mou with them and get things done here.Fiscal federalism will force our Governors to think outside the box,we av many ways to prosper in this country only if we can put end to sharing of oil money every month, it makes Nigeria as a country unproductive.

Again, we don't have guaranteed markets, plus it is going to take years to regulate and set up markets for these minerals. Meanwhile, money has to be raised. And...it would be taxes.

Fiscal federalism is even very easy for each region to industrialised their region, just solve the issue of power supply and see industries troops in, we can't become an industrial nation and be generating mere 2_4k megawatt in a country of over 200 million people, there are many ways of generating electricity. Hope you knw trash there at ojota can power over 1,000 mega watts of power,go to Ekiti and see water at Ikun wasting not to talk of Erin ijesha or ikogosi. Wind,Solar and other means can be used to generate electricity not by privatising the sector and some useless power companies milking average Nigerians dry... Go and read about the power sector, if FG have to terminate the agreement they had with Genco nd DISCOS we are to pay up 8 billion dollars, imagine Nigeria that is seeking for external loan of 1.5 billion dollars from China some years ago, that is to tell you that we are in big problem, tell me how unitry system of government can put end to this in the next 15_20 yrs, practically not possible so how can we achieve the industrial nation you are talking about with this present system if the issue of power is not solved??

Again, power cannot work in Nigeria unless Nigerians pay their power bills. Government has a budget of $26billion this year. We need to spend at least $30 billion yearly to improve power to 24/7. And since power is private....it is from our pockets.

Like how did we get GSM. ? Government did not build all those telecom masts...it was our money, all the money that we pay to the GSM companies for services rendered that enables them to build up all them masts, etc.

A situation where DISCOS and GENCOS are not allowed to control the prices of what they sell, plus the fact that AS high as 50% of Nigerians don't pay, means many of the DISCOS and GENCOS run at a loss. Thus they put pressure on those of us that do pay(which is why you are complaining about them milking us dry).

Regional police can't bring anarchy, Legal framework is there to back it up. With regional police and community policing more fund will be awarded into the security ministry at state and local level with modern technology in each region.

OK...just wait till the next relgious or tribal riots happen , then you will see whose side the state police is on. There are ideals, and there is reality.

Finally, hope u aware wen sanusi said over 25% of the national budget is going to the pocket of NASS even at this critical time av u heard any deduction of salary by government or reduction of cost of governance, u can't overlook this factor,it is a major factor that we av to look into and if we don't scarp the system there might not be any change in the next 50 yrs.

That's why you people need to join parties, form parties, and fight hard. What we are doing on Nairaland is useless.

Democracy is hard work. It is because we are so used to colonialists, then the Army doing things for us, that we forget to do things for ourselves.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Otti Appoints Ikechukwu Uwanna, 21 Others As Special Advisers (See list) / PDP Only Needs Three Senators To Produce Senate President - Yerima / Business Card With The Title "Governor's Friend" Surfaces Online (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.