Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,328 members, 7,819,120 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:36 AM

FG To Tax Netflix, Facebook, Twitter, Others - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG To Tax Netflix, Facebook, Twitter, Others (40798 Views)

Nigeria Makes N2tn Taxes From Google, Netflix, Facebook And Other Foreign Tech G / From ‘Civil War Tweet’ To Tax Talks — Timeline How FG, Twitter Negotiation Ended / Senate Proposes Law To Tax Nigerians For Using Data And DSTV (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG To Tax Netflix, Facebook, Twitter, Others by robotix: 9:26pm On Jun 07, 2020
Lostz:

how will Facebook, Google etc pass the tax if you don't use any of their pay to use services?

they should stop operating in Nigeria if they are not ready to pay tax
they are not operating in Nigeria man, they are registered as a Nigerian company through CAC (olodo)... they do not have any huge infrastructure in Nigeria. Tell your stupid foolish and rogue APC ADMIN to look elsewhere... There is Ajaokuta, Cocoa, Power supply to generate whatever money they need. thieves...
Re: FG To Tax Netflix, Facebook, Twitter, Others by Omooba77: 9:31pm On Jun 07, 2020
tejpot:
I am sorry, you don't know anything.
Ok sir. Everyone is entitled to his own opinion.
Re: FG To Tax Netflix, Facebook, Twitter, Others by Tunar18(m): 9:31pm On Jun 07, 2020
Thank God you have stylishly acknowledged my point and at least learned something from me.

I'm not saying Government is using the tax as expected of them, or praising any politician here nor justifying the abnormalities in the country.

All I'm saying is tax payment is an essential part of any economy and there is nothing excessive in our country compared to other developed countries.

There is no way you will be making money from a country and won't pay tax (this will only be a debate in a country that's still in 17th century). Irrespective of the consequential Implication, you can't dodge the reality.

NB: The fact that the subscribers indirectly pay their own price shouldn't exempt the cable providers from tax (Or should they not pay tax so that consumers wont be affected?). Price regulations/Consumer protection is a topic for another day.

Regards
yesloaded:

I'm sorry, I've been out of this country and do business in 3 different countries presently. I know implication of tax but it's unfortunate that you are yet to come to terms that Nigerians are paying heavy tax with nothing to show for it

Cars is cheap in Canada because import duty there is very low whereas used cars is very expensive in Nigeria because import duty is on high side. Same thing goes to lots of imported products, nobody is talking about toothpick here even almighty America do import so please don't tell me patronize naija things. Import duty was part of tax if you care to listen and directly or indirectly, you as final consumer of all imported products pay tax

Go to Dubai or ask anyone living in dubai to tell you how much they pay as tax, & compare Dubai with Nigeria.

Nigeria is taking loans that will be shared among few people while hard working poor Nigerians repay the loan

See, not until you begin to reason like common man and not praise singer of politician before you begin to see things the way common man sees it

I have container coming from China as we speak and I pray I remember your moniker when I wanna clear it, I will show you what we paid some years back as against what we pay now

Bottom line, EXCESSIVE TAX HAS NEVER BE OF ANY USE IN THE LIFE OF COMMON NIGERIANS

Where I lives, we hired both police & local vigilante offices to guard our area when government has failed to provide security which was part of the reason we pay tax

See, am tired of educating you

Don't even go to saying advance country bla bla bla, am not local bro

In advance country, people see what government spent their tax on and that's not the case here in Nigeria

What's minimum wage in advance country that you mentioned compared to this place?

I ASK AGAIN, WHO PAYS TAX LEVIED ON CABLE TV OPERATORS, SUBSCRIBERS OR OPERATORS?

1 Like

Re: FG To Tax Netflix, Facebook, Twitter, Others by Omooba77: 9:35pm On Jun 07, 2020
robotix:
they are not operating in Nigeria man, they are registered as a Nigerian company through CAC (olodo)... they do not have any huge infrastructure in Nigeria. Tell your stupid foolish and rogue APC ADMIN to look elsewhere... There is Ajaokuta, Cocoa, Power supply to generate whatever money they need. thieves...
Right answer. Nothing is on them in CAC and yet you want to tax them. Tomorrow someone will deny this. Just like marketers are were told yesterday to fix price, same government today has denied such.
Re: FG To Tax Netflix, Facebook, Twitter, Others by yesloaded: 9:38pm On Jun 07, 2020
Tunar18:
Thank God you have stylishly acknowledged my point and at least learned something from me.

I'm not saying Government is using the tax as expected of them, or praising any politician here nor justifying the abnormalities in the country.

All I'm saying is tax payment is an essential part of any economy and there is nothing excessive in our country compared to other developed countries.

There is no way you will be making money from a country and won't pay tax (this will only be a debate in a country that's still in 17th century). Irrespective of the consequential Implication, you can't dodge the reality.

NB: The fact that the subscribers indirectly pay their own price shouldn't exempt the cable providers from tax (Or should they not pay tax so that consumers wont be affected?). Price regulations/Consumer protection is a topic for another day.

Regards
in Nigeria of today? grin
Re: FG To Tax Netflix, Facebook, Twitter, Others by omokab: 9:39pm On Jun 07, 2020
Omooba77:

I know what I am saying. It amounts to double taxation because it will be pass down to the consumers. Hope you get it now. If Government impose a tax, let say 10% on the #4k, you as consumer will pay #4100. Increasing the cost on. See why Dstv increase its subscription.
We government tax play store too?
the person replying you had helped you a lot but let me tell you more as a professional. Income tax is charge on profit before tax the dataypu are buying is just the same as buying indomie in the market. No tax is charge on your data. Company will only pay tax after they must have trade for a complete Finacial year and it is only charge on their profit don't let anybody fool you or ready to alwayscritice everything govt is doing. It is long overdue. This is why we are lacking behind because it is not possible in a country like UK not to pay tax when you are generating income in their country.and nothing like double taxation.

1 Like

Re: FG To Tax Netflix, Facebook, Twitter, Others by Inda2020: 9:41pm On Jun 07, 2020
A typical Nigerian prefer a bad leader from his tribe than a good leader from other tribe. This is how our problems started
Re: FG To Tax Netflix, Facebook, Twitter, Others by ezechi24(m): 9:42pm On Jun 07, 2020
yinchar:
Nigerians!!!

This is the new norm, every country is doing it now. You can’t be making money from a country and not pay tax!

Every foreign purchase from eBay or Amazon is subjected to online tax, which mean you paying tax to that country, because it’s a law.

Same thing should apply in Nigeria as well, online companies irrespective of where they are based or located should pay tax for income originating from Nigeria.

stupid comment
Re: FG To Tax Netflix, Facebook, Twitter, Others by Meto1234(m): 9:44pm On Jun 07, 2020
This tax way them won collect na good idea.
but last last them go embezzle am.
Re: FG To Tax Netflix, Facebook, Twitter, Others by Nobody: 10:09pm On Jun 07, 2020
yesloaded:

Mr, you are not getting it at all

Let me break it down for you to understand

Let's assume you pay 1k for your ads to reach 10,000 people, now Facebook can either add like 50naira to that 1000naira payment making 1050 for your ads to reach 10,000 people or they reduce numbers of audience tour 1000naira ads will reach from 10,000people to 9500people.

At the end, it's Nigeria that still pays

Do you get it now?
so we should allow them make money in our country for free when the rest of the world are now looking for ways to tax digital companies?
Re: FG To Tax Netflix, Facebook, Twitter, Others by Omooba77: 10:12pm On Jun 07, 2020
omokab:
the person replying you had helped you a lot but let me tell you more as a professional. Income tax is charge on profit before tax the dataypu are buying is just the same as buying indomie in the market. No tax is charge on your data. Company will only pay tax after they must have trade for a complete Finacial year and it is only charge on their profit don't let anybody fool you or ready to alwayscritice everything govt is doing. It is long overdue. This is why we are lacking behind because it is not possible in a country like UK not to pay tax when you are generating income in their country.and nothing like double taxation.

Even when you dont have physical presence. Let see how it goes
Re: FG To Tax Netflix, Facebook, Twitter, Others by golddare: 10:15pm On Jun 07, 2020
Omooba77:

https://punchng.com/fg-plans-to-tax-netflix-facebook-others/

On top of my data, they need to tax Google, Nairaland and others.
Re: FG To Tax Netflix, Facebook, Twitter, Others by Brenn594(m): 10:20pm On Jun 07, 2020
Wetin dey worry this bubu government sef All this will not help our economic upsets,we are our own enemy.

Re: FG To Tax Netflix, Facebook, Twitter, Others by Scout60(m): 10:21pm On Jun 07, 2020
Omooba77:

I know what I am saying. It amounts to double taxation because it will be pass down to the consumers. Hope you get it now. If Government impose a tax, let say 10% on the #4k, you as consumer will pay #4100. Increasing the cost on. See why Dstv increase its subscription.
We government tax play store too?

Please no argument, we pay for data... Facebook and co don't earn money from our data. They earn money through advert. You can google how much they make in a day through advert
Re: FG To Tax Netflix, Facebook, Twitter, Others by Jimi24: 10:32pm On Jun 07, 2020
Long overdue tax
Re: FG To Tax Netflix, Facebook, Twitter, Others by Nobody: 10:33pm On Jun 07, 2020
yinchar:
Nigerians!!!

This is the new norm, every country is doing it now. You can’t be making money from a country and not pay tax!

Every foreign purchase from eBay or Amazon is subjected to online tax, which mean you paying tax to that country, because it’s a law.

Same thing should apply in Nigeria as well, online companies irrespective of where they are based or located should pay tax for income originating from Nigeria.
obviously you don't know what nigeria or nigerians are regarded as internationally.... Most companies will quickly say "good riddance to bad rubbish" how much are they making in nigeria compared to the stakes outside.... If the tax is even by percentage its worse.... Pls go and start doing business internationally and understand the stakes and how hard it is to try it from nigeria
Re: FG To Tax Netflix, Facebook, Twitter, Others by bejeria101(m): 10:37pm On Jun 07, 2020
Senseless government! Which of these items do you own or even create? � � �
Re: FG To Tax Netflix, Facebook, Twitter, Others by Nobody: 10:43pm On Jun 07, 2020
Tunar18:

Regards
so because every one is jumping inside swimming pool the one dat doesnt know how to swim should follow shay??
Some companies will simply stop allowing nigerians use their services so they dont pay tax.... It probably because you havent come to a forum that was very important to ur development and you see something like "sorry we dont accept nigerian".... We are meant to look forward to what will benefit us not cripple us
Re: FG To Tax Netflix, Facebook, Twitter, Others by eezer(m): 11:01pm On Jun 07, 2020
What kind of useless govt is this pull the bull by the horn NO, Tax, those thieves and emblezzers in the senate and everywhere u know them but because ur kinsmen are among u decided to dodge that. You want to tax foreign companies that so many Nigerians are using for online Business and marketing, So they should start blocking Nigeria IP like clickbank. This govt is dumb.
Re: FG To Tax Netflix, Facebook, Twitter, Others by Seunpaul01(m): 11:05pm On Jun 07, 2020
Then they should tax all online websites, blogs, forums in nigeria. Something is common to them all - advertising. That alone call for tax. They all make money.
Re: FG To Tax Netflix, Facebook, Twitter, Others by meccuno: 11:12pm On Jun 07, 2020
slimfit1:

It's a tool to stop Facebook from telling the world what is happening in Nigeria, it has nothing to do with tax.
Watch has Facebook is going to disappear in Nigeria. Don't forget that Facebook is not making much money in Nigeria.
This was exactly what I told someone. Since the SM bill didn't work then they want to use force instead.
Re: FG To Tax Netflix, Facebook, Twitter, Others by Realzikkist(m): 11:22pm On Jun 07, 2020
heartbreaking to come from Abia state, heartbreaking to come from Nigeria, heartbreaking to come from Africa... Lord, who I offend
Re: FG To Tax Netflix, Facebook, Twitter, Others by Nobody: 11:22pm On Jun 07, 2020
Re: FG To Tax Netflix, Facebook, Twitter, Others by Lovelive: 11:23pm On Jun 07, 2020
And the money generated should be used to sponsor the big brothers boko haram and the other brothers the Fulani h.
Fvckyn foolish government of senseless apc...

yinchar:
Nigerians!!!

Re: FG To Tax Netflix, Facebook, Twitter, Others by edoairways: 11:25pm On Jun 07, 2020
COMPAQ:

Report says Tax Netflix. Doesn't say tax individuals.

If American companies make profits from Nigeria, why shouldn't they pay tax. There are quite a lot of people with Netflix accounts in Nigeria.

Even if 500,000 people are paying $9.99 a month, that's $60m leaving our system per year. If govt applies 7.5% Vat on that, it equates to $4.5mln per year. Its something.
Are you aware that same Nigerians bear the burden through increment in subscription fee?
Re: FG To Tax Netflix, Facebook, Twitter, Others by edoairways: 11:26pm On Jun 07, 2020
meccuno:
This was exactly what I told someone. Since the SM bill didn't work then they want to use force instead.
Those cabals are very smart
Re: FG To Tax Netflix, Facebook, Twitter, Others by berrystunn(m): 11:28pm On Jun 07, 2020
Fasindo:
shocked

Very good policy from Buhari.

Buhari should also tax Nigerians b4 they can comment on Facebook, Nairaland, Twitter etc.

Tnx God Buhari don't have access to God, if not he would ask him to pay tax b4 creating any Nigerian citizen.

The only people Buhari would always exempt from tax are his Fulani herdsmen brothers.

The only economic policy Buhari knows how to do is to Borrow nd Tax.

Borrow and loot
Tax and loot

Looting from looters

Loot the loot
Loot for loot
Loot with loot
Loot and loot

1 Like

Re: FG To Tax Netflix, Facebook, Twitter, Others by Simbrixton(m): 12:49am On Jun 08, 2020
Almajiri mentality
Re: FG To Tax Netflix, Facebook, Twitter, Others by omohlexy: 12:59am On Jun 08, 2020
Nigeria doesnt have the technology to tax facebook,twitter or any online bussiness i swear. see mr ibu dey challenge MAYWEATHER o!
Re: FG To Tax Netflix, Facebook, Twitter, Others by staaari: 1:12am On Jun 08, 2020
Very counter-productive tax policy.

Rather we should encourage these digital border less companies to come Nigeria by having tax-free digital policy.

In no time, there will be a thriving digital valley in Nigeria.

Anyway, if you want to by-pass this tax, we can register your Netflix payment, google advert payment for you abroad.
So no foreign transaction traces in your online purchases bank card.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Uganda Gay Rights Activist David Kato Killed / Osinbajo Hails Blessing Liman, First Female Captain In Presidential Air-Fleet / Wike: IPOB Killed Army Officers & Took Their Guns, Soldiers Retaliated

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.