Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,265 members, 7,815,436 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:23 PM

No Voter Card, No Salary, Says Fayemi - Stop This Illegality At Once - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / No Voter Card, No Salary, Says Fayemi - Stop This Illegality At Once (1031 Views)

The Illegality In Ekiti Impeachment Saga / Interim Govt: APC Has Evidence Against Jonathan, Says Fayemi / INEC Is Broke, Can’t Pay Salary, Says Jega (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

No Voter Card, No Salary, Says Fayemi - Stop This Illegality At Once by koruji(m): 4:04am On Jan 23, 2011
To our friends Gov. Fayemi and the other governor who issued such a proclamation in the South-East we know you mean well, but this is illegal and should stop forthwith.

[size=14pt]There is no law, and there should be no law, that ties salary for work done to political participation, that is the short and long of it.[/size]

Instead of illegal fiat laws, these governors ought to advise INEC on how to conduct a timely voters registration.

Any worker harrassed by this nonsense should seek the legal help of human right activists!!!

Sunday, 23 January 2011 00:00 From Muyiwa Adeyemi, Ado Ekiti News - National   .User Rating: / 0
TO demonstrate seriousness attached to the voter registration exercise by his administration, Governor Kayode Fayemi yesterday warned that any civil servant in Ekiti State who fails to obtain a voter registration card will
not receive January salary.

The governor made the declaration in Ode-Ekiti, headquarters of Gbonyin Local Government Area of the state, shortly after flagging off the Free Medical Mission packaged by his administration for the people in the grassroots.

He said his administration places premium on the voter registration, which he described as an important step to prevent vote robbery in the 2011 general elections, calling on residents of the state to troop out en masse and get registered.

The governor charged all civil servants both at the state and local government levels to go to the nearest registration point and register their names as eligible voters so as not to lose their salaries.

Fayemi said: “Your vote is your power and I want all of you to ensure that you register as voters to enable you exercise your civic rights at the forthcoming general elections.

“Any civil servant without voter card will not receive this month’s salary and the subsequent ones. I am emphasising it that the card will be required from civil servants before they collect their salaries.”
http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=36308:no-voter-card-no-salary-says-fayemi&catid=1:national&Itemid=559
Re: No Voter Card, No Salary, Says Fayemi - Stop This Illegality At Once by Osama10(m): 4:08am On Jan 23, 2011
You can imagine our governors saying all this MALU SHYT.
Re: No Voter Card, No Salary, Says Fayemi - Stop This Illegality At Once by ekubear1: 4:37am On Jan 23, 2011
Agreed.
Re: No Voter Card, No Salary, Says Fayemi - Stop This Illegality At Once by MaJBlige(f): 7:37am On Jan 23, 2011
This is not political participation - voting is a civic right in a democracy. If you dont participate, you have no right to shout or even murmur about bad governance.

Stop confusing people - poster.
Re: No Voter Card, No Salary, Says Fayemi - Stop This Illegality At Once by montelik(m): 8:43am On Jan 23, 2011
Ma_J_Blige:

This is not political participation - voting is a civic right in a democracy. If you dont participate, you have no right to shout or even murmur about bad governance.

And should I choose not to exercise my civic right to vote, I should not be punished by my salary being with-held. Now what should be done is give incentive's for people to register rather than add baseless punitive measures.
Re: No Voter Card, No Salary, Says Fayemi - Stop This Illegality At Once by philip0906(m): 8:57am On Jan 23, 2011
Ma_J_Blige:

atleast type something meaningful 4 once in ya life. . .it will do u a whole lotta good
Re: No Voter Card, No Salary, Says Fayemi - Stop This Illegality At Once by MaJBlige(f): 10:28am On Jan 23, 2011
philip0906:

atleast type something meaningful 4 once in ya life. . .it will do u a whole lotta good

another NL animal. LOL who is saying unmeaningful things? whet is the meaning of this "ya" statement? LOL
Re: No Voter Card, No Salary, Says Fayemi - Stop This Illegality At Once by idupaul: 11:08am On Jan 23, 2011
Ma_J_Blige:

Just hear yourself , the poster has raised a credible issue and look at the dumb reply u have attached to it . Suffrage is voluntary on the part of the citizenry , It is only mandatory for govt to fulfil its role by providing ample suffrage opportunities for those voluntarily willing to participate
Re: No Voter Card, No Salary, Says Fayemi - Stop This Illegality At Once by Nobody: 11:46am On Jan 23, 2011
can you imagine,pls somebody tell me is voting a civil right or duty,i guess a duty can be imposed,anywayz,thank God for private sector
Re: No Voter Card, No Salary, Says Fayemi - Stop This Illegality At Once by Nobody: 12:05pm On Jan 23, 2011
Whats the difference between civil rights and civic responsibilities.
Re: No Voter Card, No Salary, Says Fayemi - Stop This Illegality At Once by Nobody: 12:32pm On Jan 23, 2011
Dats bull crap frm a govenor whom i tot shld knw better. Some people can decide to be apolitical and shld nt be punished abitrarilly snc dey ve not breached any known laws of FRN. D governor shld rather appeal to thier conscience dan issueing treats for he tries dat and an aggrieved person institutes a legal action against d state goverment, such person stands a 100% chance of becoming rich cos what d governour has done amounts to illegality which will be nullified eventually. The state A.G shld knw better & advice his boss abt its consequencies as well.
Re: No Voter Card, No Salary, Says Fayemi - Stop This Illegality At Once by blacksta(m): 3:21pm On Jan 23, 2011
I cant remember the country but it actually against the law not to register to vore. In the Nigerian context because of our young democracy i think it should be mandatory to vote. Nobody should have a right to complain if you dont vote.
Re: No Voter Card, No Salary, Says Fayemi - Stop This Illegality At Once by koruji(m): 5:49pm On Jan 23, 2011
@Ma_J_Blige
You are the one confusing people. Your statements are contradictory. I have a right to vote, and a right to complain about bad governance. One does not depend on the other, and I can choose to exercise both, either or none.

As someone said, the government needs to encourage people to register and vote - not impose draconian rules. Let's say we accept the rule, but INEC can't even get its machines working and was unable to register you, do you still get to receive your salary for work done? And if you force me to vote, what guaranttees that the person I voted for is not a deceiver (aka Yar'adua) that would further ruin my condition. Nigerian politicians, and I am talking in general (not about Gov. Fayemi who just started his term - in fact the news I read a few days ago that he would be inaugurating 100 transformers to mark his 100 days in office gladdened my heart; hopefully it is not for show), force you to vote with all zealousness then they spend their entire term fighting to cart away our resources. When they begin performing and demonstrating they are worth voting for people would voluntarily exercise their rights to get them elected. That is all there should be to it.

@blacksta
That one country practices this is not a recommendation for any other country. It is an abberation. If any government wants to ensure that you register and vote, they should take away privileges, not your rights, if you don't. Instead of these governors taking salary for work done (a right) they could say you will not receive a Xmas bonus next year - that is a privilege and a good incentive to go register, since the bonus is not part of your earnings.

blacksta:

I cant remember the country but it actually against the law not to register to vore. In the Nigerian context because of our young democracy i think it should be mandatory to vote. Nobody should have a right to complain if you dont vote.

Ma_J_Blige:

Re: No Voter Card, No Salary, Says Fayemi - Stop This Illegality At Once by Genius100: 9:53pm On Jan 23, 2011
blacksta:

Brazil

(1) (Reply)

Kwara Governor's Wife Always Christian, Why? / River Lekki: Fashola Is Working (serious Evidence In Pics) / Running Water And Electricity Constant In Libya - What Happened To Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.