Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,076 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:30 AM

INEC Is Broke, Can’t Pay Salary, Says Jega - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / INEC Is Broke, Can’t Pay Salary, Says Jega (7858 Views)

INEC Is Plotting To Release Results Elections To Favour APC- Wike / MASSOB Shuts Down Enugu, Says Jega Must Go! / Insecurity, Funding Threaten 2015 Elections, Says Jega (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

INEC Is Broke, Can’t Pay Salary, Says Jega by 4mulanoni(m): 11:24pm On Oct 03, 2012
INEC Is Broke, Can’t Pay Salary, Says Jega
By Joseph Erunke On October 4, 2012 @ 1.28am

ABUJA-Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, is so broke that it may not be able to pay staff salaries from next month.

Chairman of INEC, Prof. Attahiru Jega, disclosed this to bewildered members of the House of Representatives Committee on Electoral Matters, who visited INEC headquarters in Abuja, yesterday.

Dr. Abdulkadir Sulaiman, who represented Prof. Jega, said: “If we don’t do anything about it on time, we may not be able to pay salary by next month.”

Following this development, the chairman called on the legislators to quickly intervene and save the situation, else the commission’s aspiration of conducting the 2015 general election in line with international best practices would be a mirage.

He also told the visiting legislators, led by the Chairman of the Committee, Mr. Jerry Manwe, that the paucity of fund had drastically slowed down the pace of work on all the capital projects being executed by the commission.

According to him, no other release has reached INEC as the second quarter release did not come directly to the commission.

Jega said: “Of the N35 billion earmarked for the commission in the 2012 budget, only N10 billion was released to the commission in March. That was seven months ago.
“The second quarter of the money was released to the commission last month, September.”
“However, it was not sent directly to the commission, it was lodged in the Treasury Savings Account under the office of the Accountant-General of the Federation. The commission is yet to access this fund.

“It has sent complaint to the Minister of Finance, requesting for exemption from the TSA scheme in view of the autonomy granted this commission in the 1999 Constitution and the 2010 Electoral Act.

“The commission is still awaiting the Minister’s response. And in view of the fact that the N10 billion released to the commission is quite low, the commission has to suspend most of its projects, pending the time the remaining money is released.

He said the projects include renovation of INEC offices nationwide, printing of permanent voter cards, purchase of 100 KVA power generating sets in INEC offices nationwide, construction of residences of INEC Resident Commissioners, and electrification of state offices of INEC.
He commended the House of Representatives Committee on Electoral Matters for finding time to visit the commission to find out things for themselves.

Jega said the commission was ready to cooperate with relevant bodies in ensuring that its operations were carried out as spelt out in the constitution.

Manwe said the revelation about the state of the commission by its leadership was worrisome.
He said his committee condemns Federal Government’s handling of the affairs of INEC in totality, stressing that an urgent letter would be sent to both the Minister of Finance and Accountant-General of the Federation to appear before the House to explain reasons behind the Federal Government’s position.

He said the committee was totally committed to assisting the commission conduct hitch-free elections in 2015.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/10/inecs-broke-cant-pay-salary-jega/
Re: INEC Is Broke, Can’t Pay Salary, Says Jega by CyberG: 11:27pm On Oct 03, 2012
4mulanoni: Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, is sobroke that it may not be able topay staff salaries, as from next month.
The Chairman of INEC, Prof. Attahiru Jega disclosed this to bewildered members of the House of Representatives Committee on Electoral Matters who visited INEC headquarters in Abuja, Wednesdasy.
Acting Chairman of INEC, Dr Abdulkadir Sulaiman, who represented Prof. Jega said “if we don’t do anything about it on time, we may not be able to pay salary by next month’’.
Following this development, the chairman called on the legislators to quickly intervene and save the situation, else the commission’s aspiration of conducting the 2015 general election in line with international best practice would be a mirage.
He also told the visiting legislators led by the Chairman of the House Committee on Electoral Matters, Hon Jerry Manwe that the paucity of his fund has drastically slowed down the pace of work on all the capital projects being currently executed by the nation’s electoral umpire.
Professor Jega explained that out of the N35 billion earmarked for the commission in this year’s budget, only 10 billion was released to it in March this year which was meant for the first quarter.

We know all the money was stolen...but ask Iwuala why she hasn't released their money? Imagine, and this stupid flop of a woman is writing a book?

1 Like

Re: INEC Is Broke, Can’t Pay Salary, Says Jega by violent(m): 11:30pm On Oct 03, 2012
When they say "wont be able to pay salaries"...does that refer to salaries of Junior employees or does it include those of very senior level employees up to the chairman himself?
Re: INEC Is Broke, Can’t Pay Salary, Says Jega by killuminati(m): 11:54pm On Oct 03, 2012
Gerrrrrrrout hia jooor undecided

See ur fat neck jega, abeg park well make see btter tins sir angry

U no talk of garri prize, na salary prize u dey talk undecided

If I vex I fit stone dis man hot eba for face

Nonsense!!!!
Re: INEC Is Broke, Can’t Pay Salary, Says Jega by excondido(m): 12:08am On Oct 04, 2012
mimiko should volunteer to pay them nah.

2 Likes

Re: INEC Is Broke, Can’t Pay Salary, Says Jega by Chanchit: 2:22am On Oct 04, 2012
This would be a very good news for Tinubu, he could offer to pay their salary till december sef, if Jega would only co-operate with ACN for Akeredolu to win in Ondo.

I thought they said Ineec is an independent body...? Hmmm, so they are still depenent, when it comes to money matter.
Re: INEC Is Broke, Can’t Pay Salary, Says Jega by Nobody: 2:26am On Oct 04, 2012
excondido: mimiko should volunteer to pay them nah.
hahaha. . .ondo people will stone him to death
Re: INEC Is Broke, Can’t Pay Salary, Says Jega by Nobody: 3:47am On Oct 04, 2012
But his own will be paid abi?

Shame on Nigeria and everything it represents.
Re: INEC Is Broke, Can’t Pay Salary, Says Jega by Nobody: 3:48am On Oct 04, 2012
Scrap this INEC of a body and give us back Military. Democracy is seemingly expensive, very expensive. It would be reasonable if we are spending all these money and getting something meaningful out of it, but that is not the case.

1 Like

Re: INEC Is Broke, Can’t Pay Salary, Says Jega by taharqa: 3:56am On Oct 04, 2012
CyberG:

We know all the money was stolen...but ask Iwuala why she hasn't released their money? Imagine, and this stupid flop of a woman is writing a book?
Na wa. Money kept in transit at TSA administrd by d Account-General means that Iweala has 'eaten' the money? Do you know d meaning of TSA?
Re: INEC Is Broke, Can’t Pay Salary, Says Jega by phemybof(m): 4:38am On Oct 04, 2012
killuminati: Gerrrrrrrout hia jooor undecided

See ur fat neck jega, abeg park well make see btter tins sir angry

U no talk of garri prize, na salary prize u dey talk undecided

If I vex I fit stone dis man hot eba for face

Nonsense!!!!
shut ur dirty mouth up, u nonsense guy.dey were talkin of real issue wich bad poverty devlpmnt party of PDP want to use to disorganiz INEC plan to condut fair bt not fre election n u ar sayin gari pric,hw dos it match?.lets gv oursef brain of speech

1 Like

Re: INEC Is Broke, Can’t Pay Salary, Says Jega by Korrection(m): 4:41am On Oct 04, 2012
sorry but when were you born?? the worst democracy is better than the best military rule..are you up to 12 years old? sorrry just asking
Danka7777: Scrap this INEC of a body and give us back Military. Democracy is seemingly expensive, very expensive. It would be reasonable if we are spending all these money and getting something meaningful out of it, but that is not the case.

1 Like

Re: INEC Is Broke, Can’t Pay Salary, Says Jega by achinu(m): 4:49am On Oct 04, 2012
GEJ currently has no use for INEC/Jega until next presidential election when INEC's rigging machine will be put into action, then funds will be released sharp, sharp.......I dey laugh, baba iyabo smirk on my face cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: INEC Is Broke, Can’t Pay Salary, Says Jega by Basic(m): 4:55am On Oct 04, 2012
Wasteful spending is one of the viruses killing this country.
INEC works only once in every four years, yet the government keeps paying employees that lay idle for that period.
Another instance that annoys me more is the National Population Commission. The least interval between two population counts is 10 years, yet the government keeps paying the Commission's employees even for being idle for 10 years.
I understand that these agencies are responsible for a few other minor tasks. But only a few employees should be kept for long while the bulk should be hired only when they're needed.

3 Likes

Re: INEC Is Broke, Can’t Pay Salary, Says Jega by eledalo: 5:21am On Oct 04, 2012
Basic: Wasteful spending is one of the viruses killing this country.
INEC works only once in every four years, yet the government keeps paying employees that lay idle for that period.
Another instance that annoys me more is the National Population Commission. The least interval between two population counts is 10 years, yet the government keeps paying the Commission's employees even for being idle for 10 years.
I understand that these agencies are responsible for a few other minor tasks. But only a few employees should be kept for long while the bulk should be hired only when they're needed.

How daft. Once every 4 years? What of the Ondo state elections that are taking place in a few weeks? Or Edo state? Or the various re-runs of House of Assembly? INEC is responsible for a few other minor tasks? Election is now a minor task. You really are Basic. Think of how politicians will misuse this opportunity to influence the actions of INEC officials! Who the heck do you think is involved in all the Election tribunals across the country - NEPA? I agree that Nigeria's civil service is overbloated, but man, this is the duuumbest argument I've seen to reduce it - Kudos on achieving that.

3 Likes

Re: INEC Is Broke, Can’t Pay Salary, Says Jega by micklplus(m): 5:54am On Oct 04, 2012
If INEC is this broke according to Prof. Jega, how difficult would it be for politician to induce INEC Official?

This is truly worrisome.
When an important agency like INEC could be starved of funds, I wonder how free and fair elections could truly be.
Re: INEC Is Broke, Can’t Pay Salary, Says Jega by naija2much: 6:12am On Oct 04, 2012
This is serious business! How will the staff-mostly the junior staff put food on their table? Agree to the terms of the 'bad guys' rigging the elections and get sufficient money to survive-i guess
Re: INEC Is Broke, Can’t Pay Salary, Says Jega by killuminati(m): 6:31am On Oct 04, 2012
phemybof: shut ur dirty mouth up, u nonsense guy.dey were talkin of real issue wich bad poverty devlpmnt party of PDP want to use to disorganiz INEC plan to condut fair bt not fre election n u ar sayin gari pric,hw dos it match?.lets gv oursef brain of speech
where do I know you from?

See animal dey call human 'nonsense'!
So as you mumu reach you no know say INEC na PDP? Na so ur brain dull reach? Answer me!
Re: INEC Is Broke, Can’t Pay Salary, Says Jega by kheart(m): 6:34am On Oct 04, 2012
Danka7777: Scrap this INEC of a body and give us back Military. Democracy is seemingly expensive, very expensive. It would be reasonable if we are spending all these money and getting something meaningful out of it, but that is not the case.
gbam seconded, after all nja practice garrison democrazy.
Re: INEC Is Broke, Can’t Pay Salary, Says Jega by Nobody: 6:47am On Oct 04, 2012
Korrection: sorry but when were you born?? the worst democracy is better than the best military rule..are you up to 12 years old? sorrry just asking
I don't reply people who are unable to reason.
Re: INEC Is Broke, Can’t Pay Salary, Says Jega by pendusky(m): 7:01am On Oct 04, 2012
J-Jonathan
E-Ebele
G-Goodluck
A-Azikiwe

I dont u knw who is broke here... grin grin

2 Likes

Re: INEC Is Broke, Can’t Pay Salary, Says Jega by Burger01(m): 7:13am On Oct 04, 2012
Nairalanders self. Can't people talk without picking on someone? Can't we just forget about abusive and insulting comments before making a post? Its a total piss off.. Mtcheww.

1 Like

Re: INEC Is Broke, Can’t Pay Salary, Says Jega by Dakingpin: 7:22am On Oct 04, 2012
Danka7777:
I don't reply people who are unable to reason.
Bros you just did tongue

1 Like

Re: INEC Is Broke, Can’t Pay Salary, Says Jega by tellwisdom: 7:26am On Oct 04, 2012
I still have some money in my pocket…Let them come have some and pay their workers sad sad
Re: INEC Is Broke, Can’t Pay Salary, Says Jega by bknight: 7:29am On Oct 04, 2012
pDude: But his own will be paid abi?

Shame on Nigeria and everything it represents.

Dude, sometime ago I read ur well written & very interesting stories in d romance section. A good tori indeed though I couldn't finish it cheesy

angry that said, if u continue to talk loosely like this, u may loose alotta regards. Regulate your mouth youngman! Nonsense!

Btw, shame on pDude and everything he represents.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: INEC Is Broke, Can’t Pay Salary, Says Jega by Nobody: 7:32am On Oct 04, 2012
kheart: gbam seconded, after all nja practice garrison democrazy.
. Thirded
Re: INEC Is Broke, Can’t Pay Salary, Says Jega by Nobody: 7:34am On Oct 04, 2012
CyberG:

really? So she should release the money without due processes so that when it is stolen you will start shouting for her resignation.

And her writing a book what does it have to do with you or you are been jealous
Re: INEC Is Broke, Can’t Pay Salary, Says Jega by Bawss1(m): 7:40am On Oct 04, 2012
gboss4sure:

really? So she should release the money without due processes so that when it is stolen you will start shouting for her resignation.

And her writing a book what does it have to do with you or you are been jealous

Why do you even bother. There are many wiseacres on NL this morning, people who have refused to use their brains for a minute but are ever ready to run their mouths and display their ignorance
Re: INEC Is Broke, Can’t Pay Salary, Says Jega by mkohagwu(m): 8:09am On Oct 04, 2012
Loool..funny
Re: INEC Is Broke, Can’t Pay Salary, Says Jega by megareal: 8:14am On Oct 04, 2012
I respect Jega, and for him to come out with such statement means things are really dire. However, taking into consideration the bureaucratic bottlenecks that abound in the civil service, September till date isn't that far. I guess the money will be released soon especially after this outcry but it may come in bits and pieces or some diminishing returns may take effect.. BTW, the house summoning the finance minister et al won't achieve anything. It will only take Ma Iweala a few minutes to bamboozle them with financial figures and they will be nodding in agreement and begging her to leave. What do they know? Summons my foot...
Re: INEC Is Broke, Can’t Pay Salary, Says Jega by aare07(m): 8:25am On Oct 04, 2012
INEC SHOULD GO TO POLITICIAN TO GET THE MONEY..........
Re: INEC Is Broke, Can’t Pay Salary, Says Jega by aare07(m): 8:27am On Oct 04, 2012
INEC SHOULD GO TO CAPITAL MARKET( that is those politician)
or

(1) (2) (Reply)

Borno To Pay Parents Who Send Their Children To School / Kwankwaso Commissions Orphans Scholarship Programme / Which Of These Atiku’s 4 Wives Will Be The First Lady If He Becomes President

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.