Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,034 members, 7,863,699 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 12:22 AM

Tinubu, Building A Sand Castle? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tinubu, Building A Sand Castle? (956 Views)

Presidency Denies Rift Between Buhari, Tinubu / Nigerians On Twitter Angrily React To Buhari Building A Helipad In Daura / Jonathan And His Government Steal 400,000 Barrels Of Oil Daily - Tinubu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tinubu, Building A Sand Castle? by Beaf: 4:36am On Jan 24, 2011
[size=14pt]Tinubu, building a sand castle?[/size]
People & Politics Jan 24, 2011 By Ochereome Nnanna

WHILE I was still on vacation, an anonymous source sent an interesting text message to me. It reads: “Tinubu’s democracy in action! His wife, Remi Tinubu, picks the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) senatorial ticket of Lagos Central. His daughter, Sade Tinubu, picks the ticket for Lagos State Assembly, Agege Constituency and Tinubu’s son in-law Oyetunde Ojo, House of Reps! Lola Akande, Remi’s elder sister, House of Assembly. Lagosians must resist this impostor and self-acclaimed custodian of democracy…”

Just about a week ago, a Lagos-based newspaper, The Premier, carried a screaming headline: “Tinubu Colonises Lagos”. That came in the wake of the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN’s) primaries in the state, after which many interest groups complained bitterly that the wishes of the delegates were largely sidelined while candidates preferred by the leadership of the party “imposed”.

Candidates were also made to fill, sign and submit withdrawal forms. This means that even when a candidate had been given a ticket, he can still be withdrawn by the party’s leadership sending in his withdrawal form to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC). The National Chairman of the Party, Chief Bisi Akande has already defended the party’s strong grip on its members, arguing that any member that is uncomfortable with the rules of the ACN should move along elsewhere.

The ACN is widely expected to return the South West to the era of block or group political behaviour in 2011 after an eight-year stint under former President Olusegun Obasanjo. Having taken over in four states (Lagos, Edo, Ekiti and Osun) it has its eyes on Ogun and Oyo states which are currently under the control of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).

For the first time since we reclaimed democratic rule, we are beginning to see the emergence of a party (ACN) that believes in tight control of its internal affairs. We see in the party the gradual restoration of party supremacy. The ACN looks very much like a party that will soon become ideologically distinct from the rest. Unless this happens, there will be little that will bind members to the party except, perhaps, strong leadership and the ability of the party to provide an effective platform for winning of elections.

We may soon be provided with the choice to make between a Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) (which appears to be dropping godfatherism and imposition in preference for internal democracies) and a tightly controlled, ideologically-based ACN. While the PDP is modelling itself as a party where members can come and go and return; an umbrella for all, the ACN and perhaps, the nascent Congress for Democratic Change (CPC) being nurtured by General Muhammadu Buhari, could gradually return to the pre-war party culture of strong internal control of party processes and membership behaviour.

In the PDP-type “open-house” party system, there are no permanent, visible single leaders. Obasanjo’s attempt to make himself “life leader” collapsed soon after he left office. Whoever heard of the single person who controls the affairs of the Democratic Party or Republican Party in the US? Anyone can belong to either of them by simply walking in. But they are differentiated by their ideologies, where the conservative Republicans incline towards strong state institutions, traditions and big business, while the more permissive Democrats lean more towards welfarism and social reforms.

It may be a Herculean task building a political party with strong controls at this juncture of our history. Tinubu appears to be setting up a cult of excessive godfatherism. It might work only in the near term while the ACN is on the upward swing. It may not survive for long outside Lagos. I do not see how Tinubu will be able to cage Comrade Adams Oshiomhole of Edo State as he did Governor Babatunde Fashola in Lagos. I also don’t see how he can unduly dictate to any governor the party might produce in the East or North of the country.

Any such attempt might simply result in the migration of such governors to the nearest open house, most likely the PDP. Unless Tinubu and his advisers evolve a means of building a strong party without compromising the right of members to play effective roles in the emergence of candidates (internal democracy) he might merely be building a sand castle that is soon blown down by incendiary discontent. If the outcome of the ACN’s primaries in Lagos is anything to go by, then, I am afraid that the ACN might be in for turbulent times ahead.

Tinubu should be reminded of the old warning by Sun Tzu: “Power without control is nothing”.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/01/tinubu-building-a-sand-castle/
Re: Tinubu, Building A Sand Castle? by jmaine: 9:03am On Jan 24, 2011
Beaf:

[size=14pt]Tinubu, building a sand castle?[/size]
People & Politics Jan 24, 2011 By Ochereome Nnanna

WHILE I was still on vacation, an anonymous source sent an interesting text message to me. It reads: “Tinubu’s democracy in action! His wife, Remi Tinubu, picks the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) senatorial ticket of Lagos Central. His daughter, Sade Tinubu, picks the ticket for Lagos State Assembly, Agege Constituency and Tinubu’s son in-law Oyetunde Ojo, House of Reps! Lola Akande, Remi’s elder sister, House of Assembly. Lagosians must resist this impostor and self-acclaimed custodian of democracy…”

Just about a week ago, a Lagos-based newspaper, The Premier, carried a screaming headline: “Tinubu Colonises Lagos”. That came in the wake of the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN’s) primaries in the state, after which many interest groups complained bitterly that the wishes of the delegates were largely sidelined while candidates preferred by the leadership of the party “imposed”.

Candidates were also made to fill, sign and submit withdrawal forms. This means that even when a candidate had been given a ticket, he can still be withdrawn by the party’s leadership sending in his withdrawal form to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC). The National Chairman of the Party, Chief Bisi Akande has already defended the party’s strong grip on its members, arguing that any member that is uncomfortable with the rules of the ACN should move along elsewhere.

The ACN is widely expected to return the South West to the era of block or group political behaviour in 2011 after an eight-year stint under former President Olusegun Obasanjo. Having taken over in four states (Lagos, Edo, Ekiti and Osun) it has its eyes on Ogun and Oyo states which are currently under the control of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).

For the first time since we reclaimed democratic rule, we are beginning to see the emergence of a party (ACN) that believes in tight control of its internal affairs. We see in the party the gradual restoration of party supremacy. The ACN looks very much like a party that will soon become ideologically distinct from the rest. Unless this happens, there will be little that will bind members to the party except, perhaps, strong leadership and the ability of the party to provide an effective platform for winning of elections.

We may soon be provided with the choice to make between a Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) (which appears to be dropping godfatherism and imposition in preference for internal democracies) and a tightly controlled, ideologically-based ACN. While the PDP is modelling itself as a party where members can come and go and return; an umbrella for all, the ACN and perhaps, the nascent Congress for Democratic Change (CPC) being nurtured by General Muhammadu Buhari, could gradually return to the pre-war party culture of strong internal control of party processes and membership behaviour.

In the PDP-type “open-house” party system, there are no permanent, visible single leaders. Obasanjo’s attempt to make himself “life leader” collapsed soon after he left office. Whoever heard of the single person who controls the affairs of the Democratic Party or Republican Party in the US? Anyone can belong to either of them by simply walking in. But they are differentiated by their ideologies, where the conservative Republicans incline towards strong state institutions, traditions and big business, while the more permissive Democrats lean more towards welfarism and social reforms.

It may be a Herculean task building a political party with strong controls at this juncture of our history. Tinubu appears to be setting up a cult of excessive godfatherism. It might work only in the near term while the ACN is on the upward swing. It may not survive for long outside Lagos[b]. I do not see how Tinubu will be able to cage Comrade Adams Oshiomhole of Edo State as he did Governor Babatunde Fashola in Lagos[/b]. I also don’t see how he can unduly dictate to any governor the party might produce in the East or North of the country.

Any such attempt might simply result in the migration of such governors to the nearest open house, most likely the PDP. Unless Tinubu and his advisers evolve a means of building a strong party without compromising the right of members to play effective roles in the emergence of candidates (internal democracy) he might merely be building a sand castle that is soon blown down by incendiary discontent. If the outcome of the ACN’s primaries in Lagos is anything to go by, then, I am afraid that the ACN might be in for turbulent times ahead.

Tinubu should be reminded of the old warning by Sun Tzu: “Power without control is nothing”.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/01/tinubu-building-a-sand-castle/
[b][/b]

And they call him the tutor general of the Modern Nigerian Politics and the Governor emeritus. . What a way to tutor his disciples who are obviously very lame and weak
Re: Tinubu, Building A Sand Castle? by KnowAll(m): 9:54am On Jan 24, 2011
[size=14pt]Where the wife and daughters are running, the electorates should vote PDP or Labour. I implore Labour and PDP put credible candidates in those consetuencies and run a thorough campaign against the ACN. The ACN should not take the electorates for granted. The fact no internal primaries were held in the ACN is bad enough reasons for any discerning and intelligent voter to cross the aisle to the other side. Clearly these people are not running for the benefit of their wards but for their own personal gains.

PDP has deep pocket and should make that senatorial and reps ward hell for Tinubu and his family. He(Tinubu) can impose whoever he likes whilst disregarding simple democratic principles the bottom-line is the electorates still have a God giving right to choose who they felt would be good reprenstation to them.

I would implore tribal minorities in Lagos like Igbos , Ijaws and HAUSA and other dis-enfranchised Yorubas to vote against this one family domination of the politics of Lagos. President Goodluck Jonathan should also roll out all their big guns to campaign for pdp candidates. If they put in a good fight they would defeat Tinubu in his backyard, at least they did it  twice now in Ikorodu and Eti-Osa and it can be done again.[/size]
Re: Tinubu, Building A Sand Castle? by seanet03: 4:23pm On Jan 24, 2011
[s]
KnowAll:

[size=14pt]Where the wife and daughters are running, the electorates should vote PDP or Labour. I implore Labour and PDP put credible candidates in those consetuencies and run a thorough campaign against the ACN. The ACN should not take the electorates for granted. The fact no internal primaries were held in the ACN is bad enough reasons for any discerning and intelligent voter to cross the aisle to the other side. Clearly these people are not running for the benefit of their wards but for their own personal gains.

PDP has deep pocket and should make that senatorial and reps ward hell for Tinubu and his family. He(Tinubu) can impose whoever he likes whilst disregarding simple democratic principles the bottom-line is the electorates still have a God giving right to choose who they felt would be good reprenstation to them.

I would implore tribal minorities in Lagos like Igbos , Ijaws and HAUSA and other dis-enfranchised Yorubas to vote against this one family domination of the politics of Lagos. President Goodluck Jonathan should also roll out all their big guns to campaign for pdp candidates. If they put in a good fight they would defeat Tinubu in his backyard, at least they did it  twice now in Ikorodu and Eti-Osa and it can be done again.[/size]
[/s]
You are wasting your time. PDP will fail woefully in South West. Stop deceiving yourself
Re: Tinubu, Building A Sand Castle? by blacksta(m): 4:32pm On Jan 24, 2011
The case here is  one of a  lesser evil  cause at the moment it is hard to separate ACN from PDP. A number of people i have spoken too on ground in south west have claimed they would rather vote for ACN government with the hope that would get a candidate like Fashola than one that came from allleged PDP primaries like Oyinlola, AKala, OGD.

Take myself for example as a Yoruba person - would i ever vote an ACN candidate even though i know that ACN way of choosing candidates is different from the ideal. I say give me ACN anytime when you have the likes of Fayemi, Adams, Rauf and BRF.
Re: Tinubu, Building A Sand Castle? by seanet03: 4:54pm On Jan 24, 2011
blacksta:

The case here is  one of a  lesser evil  cause at the moment it is hard to separate ACN from PDP. A number of people i have spoken too on ground in south west have claimed they would rather vote for ACN government with the hope that would get a candidate like Fashola than one that came from allleged PDP primaries like Oyinlola, AKala, OGD.

Take myself for example as a Yoruba person - would i ever vote an ACN candidate even though i know that ACN way of choosing candidates is different from the ideal. I say give me ACN anytime when you have the likes of Fayemi, Adams, Rauf and BRF.
Men you don talk am jare, this PDP boyboys for nairaland dont know anything.
ACN for Ever.
Re: Tinubu, Building A Sand Castle? by RichDad1(m): 5:27pm On Jan 24, 2011
why all this rants? I think BRF was impossed too? And hes doing wonders, i beg let the best man do the job.whether elected,selected,impossed i dont care as long as the masses benefit form it.Next story
Re: Tinubu, Building A Sand Castle? by jacobs123(m): 6:52pm On Jan 24, 2011
Rich Dad:

why all this rants? I think BRF was impossed too? And hes doing wonders, i beg let the best man do the job.whether elected,selected,impossed i dont care as long as the masses benefit form it.Next story

If anyone cannot understand that Fashola and Tinubu had (having) problems because he's not doing Tinubu's bidding, then there's no way to help you. Fashola fans will readily acknowledge him as the best performing Governor but he's probably had the roughest last 2 years of all the Governors not from the opposition but from his Godfather and the ACN controlled House of Assembly. That should tell you something.

Mamora was the best ACN senator yet he was sacrificed for Gbenga Ashafa.

I still keep saying that Tinubu has only one vote. If he's in control it's because we have allowed him either deliberately or out of our docility. As for me, I'ld vote Fashola but every other thing goes to the opposition.
Re: Tinubu, Building A Sand Castle? by seanet03: 6:56pm On Jan 24, 2011
Rich Dad:

Seconded. Only F*O*O*L*S* will support a Primary Election that will throw up the likes of AKALA and OHAKIM at the expense of A consensus Primary that will produce the likes of Fashola and Adams Oshiomole. beaf and co are super I*D*I*O*T*S*
Re: Tinubu, Building A Sand Castle? by jacobs123(m): 7:19pm On Jan 24, 2011
seanet03:

Seconded. Only F*O*O*L*S* will support a Primary Election that will throw up the likes of AKALA and OHAKIM at the expense of A consensus Primary that will produce the likes of Fashola and Adams Oshiomole. beaf and co are super I*D*I*O*T*S*

It is probably only in NIGERIA that a party will tell you to go to hell if you don't like the fact they are imposing their candidates (Usually family members) instead of a primaries election and they still expect to win the election. I think we are a conquered people!!!

Nigerians need to move away from the feeling that the world is either black or white, either AC or PDP, we have to start looking at things objectively and ask where our interests are best served.
Re: Tinubu, Building A Sand Castle? by KnowAll(m): 7:42pm On Jan 24, 2011
By now Fashola should have built one of those train lines and at least some nice revenue would have been coming into d state's coffers but for dat greedy God father of his, who would rather not mind his own business after all he has done his 8 years. Why does he keep on putting d spanner in fashola's good works. Fashola should be man enough & call his bluff, we d electorates we would stand with him.

Tinubu is all about his family, a time would come in the not too far off future whereby d 3 Senators representing lagos would be either Tinubu's Uncles son or His Wife's junior brother's husband. And some foooools call dat democracy, democracy indeed.
Re: Tinubu, Building A Sand Castle? by jmaine: 7:53pm On Jan 24, 2011
jacobs123:

If anyone cannot understand that Fashola and Tinubu had (having) problems because he's not doing Tinubu's bidding, then there's no way to help you. Fashola fans will readily acknowledge him as the best performing Governor but he's probably had the roughest last 2 years of all the Governors not from the opposition but from his Godfather and the ACN controlled House of Assembly. That should tell you something.

Mamora was the best ACN senator yet he was sacrificed for Gbenga Ashafa.

I still keep saying that Tinubu has only one vote. If he's in control it's because we have allowed him either deliberately or out of our docility. As for me, I'ld vote Fashola but every other thing goes to the opposition.

Point seconded here. . Here is someone with full grasp of what is on ground and what most lagosians feel.  i keep my cool for others who feel otherwise.

KnowAll:

By now Fashola should have built one of those train lines and at least some nice revenue would have been coming into d state's coffers[b] but for dat greedy God father of his, who would rather not mind his own business after all he has done his 8 years. Why does he keep on putting d spanner in fashola's good works.[/b] Fashola should be man enough & call his bluff, we d electorates we would stand with him.

Tinubu is all about his family, a time would come in the not too far off future whereby d 3 Senators representing lagos would be either Tinubu's Uncles son or His Wife's junior brother's husband. And some foooools call dat democracy, democracy indeed.

Another Good Shot and point fully on track.
Re: Tinubu, Building A Sand Castle? by XueRengui: 10:31am On Oct 18, 2014
Family bu..

(1) (Reply)

8 Killed In Jos, 25 January 2011 / CPC Meets On Buhari’s Choice Of Bakare Monday / Saraki, Nnamani, Dokpesi, Ciroma’s wife join Jonathan’s campaign Dangote,Otedola

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.