Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,196 members, 7,815,180 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:32 AM

Buhari Considers Pastor Tunde Bakare As Running Mate - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Considers Pastor Tunde Bakare As Running Mate (1496 Views)

Buhari Considers Balance In SGF Choice / President-Elect, Buhari, Considers Only 19 Ministries / Would Consider Tunde Bakare As The Martin Luther King Jr. Of Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari Considers Pastor Tunde Bakare As Running Mate by paule: 10:55am On Jan 24, 2011
As a back-up plan to the current alliance talks between the opposition parties, the presidential flagbearer of the Congress for Progressive Change (CPC), Gen. Muhammadu Buhari, is seriously considering picking Pastor Tunde Bakare as his running mate in the April elections.

The is even as the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) continues with its talks with CPC today with the possibility of reaching an agreement and signing an MoU ahead of the elections. The All Nigeria Peoples Party (ANPP) is also a party to the talks.

Although Buhari is said to be strongly pursuing an alliance with ACN with him as the presidential candidate, he is said to be uncomfortable with the idea of a Muslim-Muslim ticket should Asiwaju Ahmed Bola Tinubu be presented by ACN as its candidate.

The arrangement being worked upon, THISDAY learnt, is for the ANPP chairman, Chief Ogbonnaya Onu, to be the chairman of the alliance, while the CPC will produce the presidential candidate and ACN the vice-presidential candidate.

“Although Nigerians have voted for a Muslim-Muslim ticket before (MKO Abiola and Babagana Kingibe), Buhari has the disadvantage of being portrayed as a religious extremist so it would be a hard sell, especially with the religious crises up North,” a source familiar with the calculations told THISDAY last night.

However, should Tinubu not be on the ticket, that could be a disincentive to the inner circle of the ACN.

Several political analysts believe that without the alliance with ACN, Buhari’s presidential ambition may not be realisable. Herein lies the dilemma.

The Bakare option is said to be very appealing to the Buhari inner circle as Plan B in the event that the alliance talks do not come to fruition.

Bakare, the Senior Pastor of the Latter Rain Assembly, is an activist who convened the Save Nigeria Group (SNG) which campaigned vigorously to break the political logjam created by the long absence of the late President Umaru Musa Yar’Adua from the country early last year.

However, the pastor told THISDAY on phone last night that he was not yet aware of the plan.

“I will not react to speculations. We have had interactions with many political parties. When they (CPC) reach out to me, I will let you know,” he said.

A source close to the Buhari camp told THISDAY yesterday that the CPC presidential candidate will soon send emissaries to ask Bakare to consider an offer to contest with him.

The source said Buhari's new move came on the heels of the failure of CPC and ACN to reach agreement on which platform to present candidates for the elections.

The calculations being put forward by the choice of Bakare is that the pastor as an influential personality within the Christian fold will help immensely to boost the chances of Buhari in garnering more votes in the South, which has been a major concern of the former head of state.

Negotiations between the two opposition political parties were last Friday suspended over disagreement on which platform to present the presidential candidate.

A member of the negotiating team told THISDAY shortly after the breakdown of talks that the leadership of ACN wanted Buhari to contest on the platform of ACN.

According to him, ACN's position did not go down well with the CPC team led by former speaker of the House of Representatives, Alhaji Bello Masari, which eventually led to suspension of talks.

However, as it turned out, both parties were not ready to sacrifice their party identities for the alliance to sail through and as such the parties decided to call back their representatives at the talks for consultations.

"The alliance talks were deadlocked because ACN is insisting that Buhari accepts to run for the presidency on its platform. This insistence was not acceptable to the CPC and the alliance negotiation was suspended till further notice," he said.

ACN's National Publicity Secretary, Alhaji Lai Muhammed, had said at a recent function at the party's headquarters in Abuja that the party is not in a hurry to go into any alliance that would make it lose its core values.

He said though ACN is under considerable pressure to join forces with other progressive parties in a bid to forge a formidable team that can upstage the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the general election, it will not do so at the expense of its party ideology.

In the meantime, the tripartite talks among the opposition parties continue with a view to post-election merger since, by law, a merger is no longer possible before the April polls because of the six-month requirement.

Should the alliance talks succeed, however, the next challenge would be to manage the expectations of Mallam Ibrahim Shekarau and Mallam Nuhu Ribadu, both of whom have emerged as the presidential candidates of ANPP and ACN respectively.

“At this stage, the Northern leaders may have to step in as Shekarau still does not see eye-to-eye with Buhari and Ribadu sees himself as a candidate of change,” a source involved in the negotiations said. “Ribadu needs to be persuaded that he can play a strong role in the government if the alliance wins the election.”

An ACN governor told THISDAY: “If in the UK, the Conservatives and Liberal Democrats who are at opposite ends of ideological spectrum can form government, there is nothing wrong with CPC and ACN forming an alliance in Nigeria.”

In Ilorin at the weekend, Muhammed said the ongoing talks aimed at forming a broad-based alliance would brighten the chances of defeating PDP at the forthcoming polls.

Muhammed told journalists that the alliance has the capacity to lead to victory in April.

He said there was no doubt that if the alliance works as expected, it would deny the PDP chance of returning to power for the first time ever.

According to him, the alliance becomes imperative in view of the lack of confidence the people have in the PDP governments at all levels.

"I want to tell you that the biggest thing PDP is afraid of is the imminent alliance of ACN, CPC, and ANPP. With the alliance, PDP will be squarely defeated at the poll because many people, those who are not even politicians are encouraging this alliance because they said they are tired of the PDP government,” he said.

Muhammed said the ACN was being prevailed upon by the people to go into alliance with other major opposition parties to ensure an end is brought to PDP government.

He said the influence of ACN would allow the alliance to sweep the South-west while those of both the ANPP and CPC will clear the entire votes in the North-east and North-west zones, thereby giving them an edge over the PDP.

Muhammed added that they envisage a situation where the party would lead in most of the North-central states and win some of the states of the South-south and South-east zones.

Please see source: http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/buhari-considers-bakare-as-running-mate/85319/
Re: Buhari Considers Pastor Tunde Bakare As Running Mate by paule: 10:58am On Jan 24, 2011
This is the bomb, me go vote for Gen Buhari/Pst Bakare. The perfect combination in terms of religion, anti-corruption, ethnicity, infrastructure and economic emancipation. Sorry GEJ, i just changed my mind.
Re: Buhari Considers Pastor Tunde Bakare As Running Mate by akyus(m): 11:19am On Jan 24, 2011
Perfect combination.
Re: Buhari Considers Pastor Tunde Bakare As Running Mate by tolu001: 11:43am On Jan 24, 2011
I just wish this alliance work, this will be the beginning of the end for the People Deceiving People (PDP).
Re: Buhari Considers Pastor Tunde Bakare As Running Mate by Nobody: 12:48pm On Jan 24, 2011
you guys are jokers
tell mr. bakere to face his pulpit business and quit jumping from pillar to post begging for recognition or he will fail and hide his face like okotie and others who said god to told funny things about leading NIgeria.
Re: Buhari Considers Pastor Tunde Bakare As Running Mate by lonelypal(m): 12:56pm On Jan 24, 2011
A gud step in d right direction but Nigeria need more than a formidable opposition party.This guys are not made up of angels and saints. A formidable opposition only dislodges the party in power. What happens when they get in power? If they succeed eventually, they will have a lot to do to convince Nigerians that they will not toll d same line of PDP in the next four yrs.
Re: Buhari Considers Pastor Tunde Bakare As Running Mate by Mobinga: 1:03pm On Jan 24, 2011
I'll advise everyone that attends the political institution he calls a church to stop attending. angry
Re: Buhari Considers Pastor Tunde Bakare As Running Mate by Sparkle777(f): 1:21pm On Jan 24, 2011
i would completely vote for them since its a well known fact that Buhari's deputies always have a solid say in the govt affairs.gud one Buhari.
Re: Buhari Considers Pastor Tunde Bakare As Running Mate by Nobody: 1:31pm On Jan 24, 2011
Sparkle777:

i would completely vote for them since its a well known fact that Buhari's deputies always have a solid say in the govt affairs.gud one Buhari.
you think he still leave by those archaic principles seeing what atiku deed in his time as vp,abeg wake it past mid-day
Re: Buhari Considers Pastor Tunde Bakare As Running Mate by PapaBrowne(m): 1:44pm On Jan 24, 2011
He said the influence of ACN would allow the alliance to sweep the South-west while those of both the ANPP and CPC will clear the entire votes in the North-east and North-west zones, thereby giving them an edge over the PDP.

Muhammed added that they envisage a situation where the party would lead in most of the North-central states and win some of the states of the South-south and South-east zones.

The article was making sense until I read the part bolded in red, then I knew that these alliance planners are just dreamers!!
On what basis do you win some South South and South East states when the three parties involved don't even have offices in any of these states?
Or do they think Edo people will vote Buhari because Oshiomole is in ACN?? Thats a tall dream.
I don't understand why the opposition waits till 2 months before elections before they start dreaming up strategies to counter the PDP. It is not workable!!
PDP is a very popular party amongst the grassroots voters. These grassroot voters don't read newspapers to see all the negatives written about the PDP.

PDP will win the freest and fairest election in Nigeria! They will win because the opposition parties are not serious and know nothing about politics except to run to the pages of newspapers and cry rigging!! If they like make them no go begin prepare for 2015, let them be wasting their time talking about 2011!! Dreams!!
Re: Buhari Considers Pastor Tunde Bakare As Running Mate by Nobody: 1:49pm On Jan 24, 2011
daydreaming? undecided
Re: Buhari Considers Pastor Tunde Bakare As Running Mate by Bokoharam: 5:37pm On Jan 24, 2011
Is that what all that gra-gra is all about in SNG? And I have been thinking there is no selfish interest. I thought the Pastor Bakare was a neutral person who wanted the "Peace of Jerusalem." I am disappointed. Personal
Re: Buhari Considers Pastor Tunde Bakare As Running Mate by semid4lyfe(m): 7:49pm On Jan 24, 2011
PapaBrowne:
The article was making sense until I read the part bolded in red, then I knew that these alliance planners are just dreamers!!
On what basis do you win some South South and South East states when the three parties involved don't even have offices in any of these states?
Or do they think Edo people will vote Buhari because Oshiomole is in ACN?? Thats a tall dream.
I don't understand why the opposition waits till 2 months before elections before they start dreaming up strategies to counter the PDP. It is not workable!!
PDP is a very popular party amongst the grassroots voters. These grassroot voters don't read newspapers to see all the negatives written about the PDP.

PDP will win the freest and fairest election in Nigeria! They will win because the opposition parties are not serious and know nothing about politics except to run to the pages of newspapers and cry rigging!! If they like make them no go begin prepare for 2015, let them be wasting their time talking about 2011!! Dreams!!

Well spoken!

Where PDP does not win election and is not in power, it came a close second and is the most vibrant & vocal opposition. People forget there is something called structures and PDP is the only party with nationwide spread. They go everywhere to campaign and they have agents & foot soldiers who mobilize everywhere for them unlike other ''regional parties''
Re: Buhari Considers Pastor Tunde Bakare As Running Mate by Muza(m): 7:55pm On Jan 24, 2011
some times you dont ask for change,u hav to bring the change. . .Go Buhari/Bakare
Re: Buhari Considers Pastor Tunde Bakare As Running Mate by Nobody: 2:02am On Jan 26, 2011
imagine a God planing to vice a god,what a degrading move cry cry

(1) (Reply)

Good News - Nigeria's Oil Is Running Out: / Azikiwe And Ojukwu, Who Is The Leader Of The Igbos? / The New Zoning Reality

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.