Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,325 members, 7,819,111 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:27 AM

COVID-19: Ndume Calls For Part-time National Assembly To Save Cost - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / COVID-19: Ndume Calls For Part-time National Assembly To Save Cost (16335 Views)

Fayose Orders Ekiti Assembly To Approve N10b Appropriation A Month To Hand Over / Court Of Appeal Allows National Assembly To Re-order 2019 Election Sequence / Impeach Buhari: Court Orders National Assembly To Begin Process (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

COVID-19: Ndume Calls For Part-time National Assembly To Save Cost by Islie: 1:13pm On Jun 10, 2020
..denies calling for reduction of civil servants’ salaries

The Chairman, Senate Committee on Army, Senator Ali Ndume, on Wednesday called for conversion of the National Assembly to a part-time legislature during the ongoing Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic to save cost.

Ndume who spoke to reporters during an interview in Abuja, however denied calling on the Federal Government to cut the salaries of civil servants in the country.

He said that the report which credited the claim to him quoted him out of context.

He insisted that Public Servants across the three arms of government “not working full-time” during the present pandemic should no longer be paid 100 per cent of their salaries.

“The statement credited to me was not a complete statement and I was quoted out of context,” Ndume said.

He added: “When they asked me questions about the revised budget, I said we should fasten our belts during this pandemic due to the fall in the prices of crude oil which is the mainstay of our economy.

“I said the Federal Government should critically look into cutting down of the cost of governance.

“I called for the reduction of overhead cost, salaries of senior public servants and the recurrent expenditure. That is what I said and I still stand by it.”

He noted that taking into cognizance the fact that the salaries of the lower level civil servants are too small, he couldn’t have called for their further reduction.

“As a matter of fact, Nigerian Civil Servants deserve palliatives from all tiers of government, even with their salaries.

“I maintain that since most of us who are Public Servants across the three arms of government are not working full time for now, our salaries should no longer be paid 100 per cent.

“Overhead should also not be 100 per cent again. All those travel allowances should stop because we are no longer traveling.

“We are operating from online now, the provision for stationery should be stopped. By that so many expenditure would have been removed.”

He said that in view of the prevailing economic circumstances in the country that, he is the firm opinion that the National Assembly could be made to operate on a “part-time basis to save cost during the period of this pandemic.”

He said: “As far as I’m concerned, we can make the National Assembly a part time arrangement for now since we conduct our sitting once or twice in a week these days.

“If we make it part time, that means our salaries must be reduced.

“The reality is that we can’t continue in a situation like this where 70 per cent of the country’s budget is going to personnel and recurrent expenditure as if everything is okay.

“This is a time when we are borrowing to fund the budget. I didn’t say salaries of civil servants who are struggling to survive, should be slashed.

“Under this critical circumstances where 70 per cent of the budget goes to recurrent expenditure and overhead, then the government should really sit down and critically look at it.

“The government should identify public officers that can work part time and reduce their salaries.

“For example, even we in the National Assembly, for the period of this pandemic, I strongly advocate that the work of the legislature and other people should be made par time and therefore, pay them on part time basis to reduce the cost.

“There are jobs that are not critical, that could be converted to part-time basis to reduce cost. We cannot make the jobs of medical personnel part-time.

“There are other essential service workers like the Police and the Army which cannot be on part time.

“However, other jobs should be converted to part-time. A director who is sitting at home working via virtual means does not deserve a full salary.

“The current situation is not sustainable. I even believe in a Parliamentary System of Government.

“When Prof. Ango Abdullahi, said Nigeria should revert to the parliamentary system of government, I said I support it because the Presidential system of government is not for poor countries like Nigeria.

“Today, if Nigerians demand a reversion to the parliamentary system of government, I will support it.

“The running cost of the government must be reduced by a certain percentage that is significant so as to create jobs for the unemployed.”

https://thenationonlineng.net/covid-19-ndume-calls-for-part-time-national-assembly-to-save-cost/

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: COVID-19: Ndume Calls For Part-time National Assembly To Save Cost by Racoon(m): 1:40pm On Jun 10, 2020
Hypocrite! Can you pls call for a thorough reduction in the excessive financial burden of the NASS on this nation first before any other thing? Will your colleagues agree to a unicameral legislature first before the part time basis thing?

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: COVID-19: Ndume Calls For Part-time National Assembly To Save Cost by Wiseandtrue(f): 1:42pm On Jun 10, 2020
not only on a part basis, the cost of running the NASS should also be reduced drastically

This is how they will continue to talk about it until their tenure ends

Yeye people

APC- All Promises Cancelled!!!

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: COVID-19: Ndume Calls For Part-time National Assembly To Save Cost by Ebenezer2O2O(m): 1:58pm On Jun 10, 2020
Reduction of civil servant's salary bawo?
Who even came up with such idea?
Rather these Senator's salaries should be cut by 20% same way Akwa Ibom State Government did to the State's appointees.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: COVID-19: Ndume Calls For Part-time National Assembly To Save Cost by PureGoldh(m): 1:59pm On Jun 10, 2020
Covid-19 matter na real full-time business for dx top officials

1 Like 1 Share

Re: COVID-19: Ndume Calls For Part-time National Assembly To Save Cost by Ebenezer2O2O(m): 1:59pm On Jun 10, 2020
[s]
Wiseandtrue:
not only on a part basis, the cost of running the NASS should also be reduced drastically

Yeye people

[/s] SHUT UP

4 Likes

Re: COVID-19: Ndume Calls For Part-time National Assembly To Save Cost by Easybela(f): 1:59pm On Jun 10, 2020
undecided mcheeeeeeeeew, wetin concern me

1 Like

Re: COVID-19: Ndume Calls For Part-time National Assembly To Save Cost by XXLMANDIGO: 2:00pm On Jun 10, 2020
I hope he said and genuinely mean this... smiley

1 Like

Re: COVID-19: Ndume Calls For Part-time National Assembly To Save Cost by Patrioticman007(m): 2:00pm On Jun 10, 2020
Wiseandtrue:

Yeye people

Why are we quick to discriminate against, political party class,religion, tribe & others.

9 Likes

Re: COVID-19: Ndume Calls For Part-time National Assembly To Save Cost by Lanre4uonly(m): 2:00pm On Jun 10, 2020
Easier said than done.
Re: COVID-19: Ndume Calls For Part-time National Assembly To Save Cost by gambia(m): 2:01pm On Jun 10, 2020
I hope they can do that.
Re: COVID-19: Ndume Calls For Part-time National Assembly To Save Cost by paulolee(m): 2:01pm On Jun 10, 2020
rawbish...stupid sets of hypocrites...what about the said billions budgeted for renovation of houses?? abi u jus want talk mk e be lyk say u holy...time shall tell

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: COVID-19: Ndume Calls For Part-time National Assembly To Save Cost by iCauseTrouble: 2:01pm On Jun 10, 2020
Audio Call..... Next topic please shocked

2 Likes

Re: COVID-19: Ndume Calls For Part-time National Assembly To Save Cost by AmazingELixir: 2:02pm On Jun 10, 2020
lipsrsealed

Diswan want make dem suspend am....save cost for who exactly.

1 Like

Re: COVID-19: Ndume Calls For Part-time National Assembly To Save Cost by TripA(m): 2:02pm On Jun 10, 2020
if you read the write up the man has spoken sense
but the greed this nation suffers would make this mere talk as useless as the comments in NL to effect anything positively

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: COVID-19: Ndume Calls For Part-time National Assembly To Save Cost by Wiseandtrue(f): 2:03pm On Jun 10, 2020
Patrioticman007:

Why are we quick to discriminate against, political party class,religion, tribe & others.
I don't do tribe, religion e.t.c

But political party Yes!!!

Stating facts Yes!!!

How else do you feel about people you call to represent your interest and they are there doing what

Should Ndume still be talking about this issue Shouldn't it have come to realization looking at how poverty has ravaged this country and the promise made by this government on running a low key government in terms of finance undecided

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: COVID-19: Ndume Calls For Part-time National Assembly To Save Cost by Goke7: 2:03pm On Jun 10, 2020
Nobody will listen to him especially his colleagues

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: COVID-19: Ndume Calls For Part-time National Assembly To Save Cost by BlowYourMind: 2:04pm On Jun 10, 2020
This is better
Re: COVID-19: Ndume Calls For Part-time National Assembly To Save Cost by ArcSEMPECJ(m): 2:06pm On Jun 10, 2020
Ebenezer2O2O:
SHUT UP

Why such a reply on her comment??

1 Like

Re: COVID-19: Ndume Calls For Part-time National Assembly To Save Cost by Yello1(m): 2:06pm On Jun 10, 2020
He actually said something worth reading. The cost of running our government in this country is a no no for a country of our status whose survival is dependent on oil. I wonder why we are bent on running d country with two legislative arm in d first place. What are those in the house of rep. Doing dt can not be done in d senate. Just a single legislative arm would hav saved us cost. To mar it all. Numerous house of assemblies members dt are just there wearing agbada doing nothing.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: COVID-19: Ndume Calls For Part-time National Assembly To Save Cost by Karlifate: 2:07pm On Jun 10, 2020
Senators, right now:

Re: COVID-19: Ndume Calls For Part-time National Assembly To Save Cost by kerry57: 2:07pm On Jun 10, 2020
Yeye senator, make them sacrifice their senatorial allowance for one year, e go do us to recover and not masses sacrificing. They only go sit, sleep, fight and steal and they get jumbo pay for this nonsense. I dont think we need senators, reps are enough.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: COVID-19: Ndume Calls For Part-time National Assembly To Save Cost by javaRookie: 2:09pm On Jun 10, 2020
Ndume who spoke to reporters during an interview in Abuja, however denied calling on the Federal Government to cut the salaries of civil servants in the country.

This is quite laughable.

Are you looking for a professional and eye catching book cover that can grab the attention of amazon buyers in 3 seconds? Look no further! You will get a professional cover design for any niche of choice. WhatsApp o.8.o27.57268 eight

Re: COVID-19: Ndume Calls For Part-time National Assembly To Save Cost by Dpsychologist: 2:09pm On Jun 10, 2020
His statement is contradicting.
Our politicians like making ambigious statement so that they can later claim innocence.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: COVID-19: Ndume Calls For Part-time National Assembly To Save Cost by drshrewd: 2:09pm On Jun 10, 2020
this not entirely bad idea as recurrent expenditure gulp over %85 of government's 'implimented budget' yearly.
I personally suggested they slash the salaries of all senior staffs by a half, slash down by %50 all government overhead costs(aids, assist, etc), running cost (aso rock, houses of assembly, ministries, etc ) maintenance cost of government, etc. This will free over 20% of this years budget which will amount to excess of #2 trillion. This money can be used as palliatives to 50m families(through BVN, ID, voters card, etc) and a month total lockdown complimented.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: COVID-19: Ndume Calls For Part-time National Assembly To Save Cost by Ebenezer2O2O(m): 2:10pm On Jun 10, 2020
ArcSEMPECJ:

Why such a reply on her comment??

because he's talking trash
Re: COVID-19: Ndume Calls For Part-time National Assembly To Save Cost by saraki2019(m): 2:10pm On Jun 10, 2020
media can kill people just for profits
Re: COVID-19: Ndume Calls For Part-time National Assembly To Save Cost by ArcSEMPECJ(m): 2:13pm On Jun 10, 2020
This is exactly one of the areas where I expected Buhari to address when he became the President but is quite a pity .........

Only for his government to go flexing muscles after ASU lecturers who are looking for a way to survive in this country that they themselves have made a mess of ....
Re: COVID-19: Ndume Calls For Part-time National Assembly To Save Cost by foleskay(m): 2:13pm On Jun 10, 2020
Was it not part time before, or is the not same plennary that always looks scanty during proceedings. How many members are always present in the house. Wht he should be saying is, make dem cut or slash their allowances by 40%. Awon ole

1 Like

Re: COVID-19: Ndume Calls For Part-time National Assembly To Save Cost by Videx99(m): 2:13pm On Jun 10, 2020
When will Nigerians be positive? Why do we always critisize anything political? The legislators receive millions of Naira in this hardship. The senator has made everything clear. Let's pray our leaders heed his advice ao that this country will move forward and come out of this economic hardship.
Re: COVID-19: Ndume Calls For Part-time National Assembly To Save Cost by FlordFlorez(m): 2:14pm On Jun 10, 2020
He has a good point but this people has a way of telling us what would make us happy alone without executing them any of them. Start with the 27B u people wants to use to renovate NASS building.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Is No One Talking About Sowore And Other Young Presidential Aspirants? / ‘How Fubara, Wike Reached Truce’ - Rivers Lawmaker, Enemi George / Oyo State To Ban Open Grazing; Herdsmen To Carry ID Cards

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.