Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,200 members, 7,839,090 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 01:38 PM

CNPP Faults $7m Coal Power Plants’ Contracts. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / CNPP Faults $7m Coal Power Plants’ Contracts. (747 Views)

Nigeria Picks Kogi, Akwa Ibom For Nuclear Power Plants / FG Raises Alarm Over Dwindling Electricity Supply, Power Plants Shutdown / Jonathan Insulted Nigerians By Appointing Anenih As NPA Chairman – CNPP (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

CNPP Faults $7m Coal Power Plants’ Contracts. by Gbawe: 2:00pm On Jan 24, 2011
I really don't know when we will wise-up about the concept of same lousy old wine in new bottle. Nationally crippling cronyism is written over everything GEJ does.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/01/cnpp-faults-7m-coal-power-plants-contracts/

CNPP faults $7m coal power plants’ contracts

News Jan 24, 2011 By CHRIS OCHAYI

ABUJA—Registered opposition political parties have raised an alarm over the $7million consultancy contract awarded for Coal Fired Power Plants to be located in Enugu, Benue, Kogi and Gombe States, alleging that the contract was a ploy to siphon the nation’s treasury by this administration.

Operating under the umbrella body of Conference of Nigerian Political Parties, CNPP, the parties recalled that the PDP-led Federal Government had since year 2000 to date, spent over $20million on feasibility studies’ consultancy on Coal Fired Power Plants for Enugu, Benue, Kogi and Gombe States

The CNPP, in a statement  by its National Publicity Secretary, Mr. Osita Okechukwu, yesterday, noted the plethora of similar studies by private firms all at the disposal of the Federal Ministry of Power and the PHCN.

Mr. Okechukwu stressed further that, “even the Power Road Map released recently by President Jonathan highlighted the existence of update studies.”

According to him, “the Federal Executive Council, FEC, presided over by President Goodluck Jonathan, in continuation of o.rgy of waste and corruption, awarded consultancy contract at over $7million for Coal Fired Power Plants to be located in Enugu, Benue, Kogi and Gombe States.

“In the same meeting, the FEC re-awarded road contracts earlier awarded, running into billions, among which was the dualisation of Agege-Ota-Abeokuta, a road awarded to Julius Berger Plc in 2001 at N7.1billion.

“Conference of Nigerian Political Parties, CNPP, is miffed by such wastage and cover-up of corruption under President Jonathan; which accounts for why the over $20billion the regime inherited in May 2007 has depleted to less than $3billion.

“Accordingly, we are at a loss why President Jonathan is wasting huge funds and valuable time; when such studies are under his watch, just for asking?

“On re-award of road contracts, we applaud President Jonathan; however we detest the cover-up of billions siphoned by previous regimes, for the votes for the roads appear repeatedly in our duly appropriated annual budgets.

“Take for example the Agege-Ota-Abeokuta, Ilorin-Ibadan, Owerri-Onitsha and Gombe-Maiduguri and others; what happened to the monies appropriated and disbursed for their construction?

“In sum, President Jonathan should stop selling off our silver; consequently we challenge Nigerians not to vote for any presidential candidate who is not ready to renew the war against corruption and recover our looted funds.”
Re: CNPP Faults $7m Coal Power Plants’ Contracts. by blacksta(m): 2:22pm On Jan 24, 2011
God is my witness  - The level of Financial wastage in Nigeria  is unsustainable. Keep doling out cash like there is no tomorrow and Only a wicked man will carry on spending monies the way GEJ is doing.  How many times is one going to award contracts for a particular road and not ask questions. Utter madness $20 Million for feasibility studies over and over again.
Re: CNPP Faults $7m Coal Power Plants’ Contracts. by Gbawe: 2:47pm On Jan 24, 2011
blacksta:

God is my witness  - The level of Financial wastage in Nigeria  is unsustainable. Keep doling out cash like there is no tomorrow and Only a wicked man will carry on spending monies the way GEJ is doing.  How many times is one going to award contracts for a particular road and not ask questions. Utter madness $20 Million for feasibility studies over and over again.

Truly saddening but many of us have predicted this already. Can Jonathan ,for example , "ask questions" about road contracts not implemented in the past when it is his indispensible cronies , like Anenih, who will face sanction and punisment for embezzlement? Jonathan has no choice but to award new rounds of contracts including 'padding' for his 'pals'. Some of these 'pals' ,like Anenih, are even enjoying how GEJ is giving them another chance to plunder our national wealth. Why will some folks not conclude that Nigeria belongs to them and their family when , as nefarious as they may act, some desperado is always in need of their crookedness.
Re: CNPP Faults $7m Coal Power Plants’ Contracts. by homerac7: 2:51pm On Jan 24, 2011
God bless d CNPP man for d factual observations. I was confused when I saw Ota-Abeokuta express dualization in d original news days ago. I Ws wondering if its not same road dt knw very well dt Ws dualized already under OBJ regime. I know dt Gombe-Biu-Maiduguri dualization Ws on as at some two years ago, I simply assumed dt its probably another stage of it Dts being newly awarded, bt d thought of Ota-Abeokuta road kept me in confusion until someone now confirms d scam wt it.

Shame on GEJ. But I'm sure his blind and insincere head-over-heels supporters will c nothing wrong wt dt and simply rush to take place of Ima Niboro to blame some imaginary northerner.
Re: CNPP Faults $7m Coal Power Plants’ Contracts. by Ibime(m): 3:07pm On Jan 24, 2011
Politics of distribution from the centre is being taken to new levels under the present administration.
Re: CNPP Faults $7m Coal Power Plants’ Contracts. by Nsiman(m): 5:05pm On Jan 24, 2011
We have electricity wahala, now gej is looking 4 solution to it, its now a problem. So because the road contract was not executed, it shldn't be re-awarded b4 modalities 4 the former contract sum recovery looked into? Gej is gej, obj is obj, forget talking about party
Re: CNPP Faults $7m Coal Power Plants’ Contracts. by Nsiman(m): 5:05pm On Jan 24, 2011
We have electricity wahala, now gej is looking 4 solution to it, its now a problem. So because the road contract was not executed, it shldn't be re-awarded b4 modalities 4 the former contract sum recovery looked into? Gej is gej, obj is obj, forget talking about party
Re: CNPP Faults $7m Coal Power Plants’ Contracts. by redsun(m): 5:16pm On Jan 24, 2011
D minister that awarded that contract will get at least 20 percent of d total sum as mandatory kickback.,no kickback no work
Re: CNPP Faults $7m Coal Power Plants’ Contracts. by homerac7: 5:22pm On Jan 24, 2011
Nsiman, did u read b4 posting? Well d way u hav to repeat urself everytime makes me think dt u r some artificial intelligience spamware. But just in case u r human, D GADDEM ROADS HAVE BEEN DUALIZED ALREADY!
Re: CNPP Faults $7m Coal Power Plants’ Contracts. by blacksta(m): 5:57pm On Jan 24, 2011
redsun:

D minister that awarded that contract will get at least 20 percent of d total sum as mandatory kickback.,no kickback no work

GEJ will get 20 %

Dam Patience will also get 20%

Contractor will spend 6% to start the contract and midway abandon the whole project and pocket the remaining 34%

Nigerians will get -100%

Another government will start the process again - Circle of Madness continues
Re: CNPP Faults $7m Coal Power Plants’ Contracts. by redsun(m): 8:24pm On Jan 24, 2011
Do u know that if u are not in anyway related to d politician or top perm sec incharge,u don't get any plausible contract.
Re: CNPP Faults $7m Coal Power Plants’ Contracts. by redsun(m): 8:27pm On Jan 24, 2011
They award contracts to their relatives with impunity which is a crime by itself.Naija govt is a crime syndicate,like d mob
Re: CNPP Faults $7m Coal Power Plants’ Contracts. by redsun(m): 8:29pm On Jan 24, 2011
Obj is d calpone,a ruthless killer.
Re: CNPP Faults $7m Coal Power Plants’ Contracts. by Gbawe: 11:47pm On Jan 24, 2011
redsun:

They award contracts to their relatives with impunity which is a crime by itself.Naija govt is a crime syndicate,like d mob

That is what I mean when I wrote:
Nationally crippling cronyism is written over everything GEJ does.

I would not be surprised to see Anenih , under GEJ , gain a portfolio involving the revamping and upgrading of our transport infrastructure . that is how desperate and insensitive Jonathan is.

(1) (Reply)

Gov. Theo Orji Begs Igp For Orji Kalu's Arrest / How Obasanjo’s Third Term Agenda Affected Nigeria – Daniel / Ribadu Throws Cheap Shots At Ciroma.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.