Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,021 members, 7,821,557 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:58 PM

Is It Proper For A Four Year Old Child To Own A Phone? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Proper For A Four Year Old Child To Own A Phone? (1005 Views)

Is It Proper For Your Wife To Insist She Must Be Checking Your Phone Always? / Marriage: My Mother Inlaw Calls My Wife Everyday Is It Proper? / Married Woman Disrupts Husband Secret Wedding, Brings Their Child To The Altar (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Proper For A Four Year Old Child To Own A Phone? by netherlands: 2:01pm On Jun 10, 2020
Please do make an input here as parents.

I gave my four years old daughter my old phone to be using, no Sim card though, yet I still ponder if this is proper. Should I take it back or let her have it?

What do you think, as a parent?
Thanks!

Re: Is It Proper For A Four Year Old Child To Own A Phone? by Righteousness89(m): 2:07pm On Jun 10, 2020
netherlands:

I gave my four years old daughter my old phone to be using, no Sim card though, yet I still ponder if this is proper. Should I take it back or let her have it?

Thanks!

NO!
Take it back!

3 Likes

Re: Is It Proper For A Four Year Old Child To Own A Phone? by sweetnonsense(m): 2:14pm On Jun 10, 2020
I don't think this is wrong in any way... We are in a digital Era.... Provided the child is well checked at all times, then you're giving your child an headstart in comparison to his/her peers...

2 Likes

Re: Is It Proper For A Four Year Old Child To Own A Phone? by XXXXTENTACION: 2:14pm On Jun 10, 2020
Righteousness89:

NO! Take it back!
why should they take it back

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper For A Four Year Old Child To Own A Phone? by sweetnonsense(m): 2:15pm On Jun 10, 2020
Righteousness89:

NO!
Take it back!
you don't just tell people what to do without stating your reasons...

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper For A Four Year Old Child To Own A Phone? by Righteousness89(m): 2:17pm On Jun 10, 2020
sweetnonsense:
you don't just tell people what to do without stating your reasons...

Oga/Madam pls why not give her your advice and move on!
Re: Is It Proper For A Four Year Old Child To Own A Phone? by XXXXTENTACION: 2:22pm On Jun 10, 2020
netherlands:

Thanks!
it depends on your reason of giving the child the phone. For example you can give your child a phone if you don't constantly stay at home so you use the phone to communicate with your child. so i don't think it is wrong.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Proper For A Four Year Old Child To Own A Phone? by Donald3d(m): 2:23pm On Jun 10, 2020
grin grin

The problem is not the tool, its what the person does with the tool

I see nothing wrong with introducing children to devices early, but you have to do it cautiously and guide them.

I got introduced to technology since I was a baby, and I mean that literally. There were gadgets everywhere, although they were not smart phones, they didn't exist then. But whats most important here, is that they were tools.

What matters is what the tools are used for. Today I can do almost anything you can think of with computers, I mean anything, I just need to set my mind to it.

People who tell parents not to give their kids smartphones, play disgusting songs with foul language and tell their kids to dance to it, some of you buy water guns and toy guns for your kids. Which is more damaging in the long run ?.

Proper guidance is the best way to train kids, give them a tool and let them experiment very early, the right tools, with proper leadership.

Proper leadership in this case, is "do as I do" , not "do as I say" . Set a good example, not just in your words, but in your actions.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Proper For A Four Year Old Child To Own A Phone? by NobleAngell(f): 2:24pm On Jun 10, 2020
A 4yrs old? No pls she's too young. Get her an age-appropriate gadget. Better still, why not buy her a Lego, or buildingblocks or even jigsaws. All those can improve a child's intellectual capacity and help stimulate logical reasoning. A phone won't do that.

4 Likes

Re: Is It Proper For A Four Year Old Child To Own A Phone? by fati2001(m): 2:28pm On Jun 10, 2020
in my view she is too young.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Proper For A Four Year Old Child To Own A Phone? by Donald3d(m): 2:35pm On Jun 10, 2020
NobleAngell:
A 4yrs old? No pls she's too young. Get her an age-appropriate gadget. Better still, why not buy her a Lego, or buildingblocks or even jigsaws. All those can improve a child's intellectual capacity and help stimulate logical reasoning. A phone won't do that.

There are educational games too, there are educational animations, not saying physical hand-held toys are bad, they are important too.
Whether we like it or not, technology is here to stay, its the future, the earlier the better, with proper guidance

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper For A Four Year Old Child To Own A Phone? by NobleAngell(f): 2:37pm On Jun 10, 2020
XXXXTENTACION:
it depends on your reason of giving the child the phone. For example you can give your child a phone if you don't constantly stay at home so you use the phone to communicate with your child. so i don't think it is wrong.
That cannot be her reason because she said she took out the sim.
Re: Is It Proper For A Four Year Old Child To Own A Phone? by Ningen(m): 2:57pm On Jun 10, 2020
The way I see it, simcard or not; you're giving her the opportunity to be addicted to a phone at such a young. So know what you're getting into.

With supervision, it can aid her development.
But if you neglect this, it'll backfire so bad.

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper For A Four Year Old Child To Own A Phone? by netherlands: 3:05pm On Jun 10, 2020
XXXXTENTACION:
OK
Which means I have to get her a Sim then,. Thanks on that.
Re: Is It Proper For A Four Year Old Child To Own A Phone? by netherlands: 3:07pm On Jun 10, 2020
Righteousness89:

NO! Take it back!
OK But you have to give reasons why I should take it back. ...
Re: Is It Proper For A Four Year Old Child To Own A Phone? by netherlands: 3:08pm On Jun 10, 2020
sweetnonsense:
I don't think this is wrong in any way... We are in a digital Era.... Provided the child is well checked at all times, then you're giving your child an headstart in comparison to his/her peers...
OK
Thanks
That's a good point there.
Re: Is It Proper For A Four Year Old Child To Own A Phone? by netherlands: 3:12pm On Jun 10, 2020
Righteousness89:

Oga/Madam pls why not give her your advice and move on!

Calm down.
You might have a point but you need to tell us. That's why I created the thread, so I can get both opposing views.
So please go on and tell me why you want me to take it back.
Thanks.
Re: Is It Proper For A Four Year Old Child To Own A Phone? by netherlands: 3:15pm On Jun 10, 2020
Donald3d:
grin grin

The problem is not the tool, its what the person does with the tool

I see nothing wrong with introducing children to devices early, but you have to do it cautiously and guide them.

I got introduced to technology since I was a baby, and I mean that literally. There were gadgets everywhere, although they were not smart phones, they didn't exist then. But whats most important here, is that they were tools.

What matters is what the tools are used for. Today I can do almost anything you can think of with computers, I mean anything, I just need to set my mind to it.

People who tell parents not to give their kids smartphones, play disgusting songs with foul language and tell their kids to dance to it, some of you buy water guns and toy guns for your kids. Which is more damaging in the long run ?.

Proper guidance is the best way to train kids, give them a tool and let them experiment very early, the right tools, with proper leadership.

Proper leadership in this case, is "do as I do" , not "do as I say" . Set a good example, not just in your words, but in your actions.
Thanks a lot.
Re: Is It Proper For A Four Year Old Child To Own A Phone? by netherlands: 3:18pm On Jun 10, 2020
Ningen:
The way I see it, simcard or not; you're giving her the opportunity to be addicted to a phone at such a young. So know what you're getting into.

With supervision, it can aid her development.
But if you neglect this, it'll backfire so bad.

OK
I'm other words, you are in support and you are against... Lol.
Re: Is It Proper For A Four Year Old Child To Own A Phone? by netherlands: 3:27pm On Jun 10, 2020
NobleAngell:
OK
I get your point, though I don't agree with you on where you said phones can't improve child's intellectual capacity and stimulate logical reasoning. It's a smartphone and she's good with it, that's why I let her have it. But I just don't know if am doing the right thing. That's why I want other parents to come up with reasons for and against as the cases may be.
Re: Is It Proper For A Four Year Old Child To Own A Phone? by netherlands: 3:32pm On Jun 10, 2020
fati2001:
in my view she is too young.
OK
But what then does her being too young entail in this case. What do you think could be a negative effect or aspect of her having a phone at that age?

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper For A Four Year Old Child To Own A Phone? by netherlands: 3:34pm On Jun 10, 2020
Donald3d:

There are educational games too, there are educational animations, not saying physical hand-held toys are bad, they are important too.
Whether we like it or not, technology is here to stay, its the future, the earlier the better, with proper guidance
OK
Good point!
Re: Is It Proper For A Four Year Old Child To Own A Phone? by fati2001(m): 3:37pm On Jun 10, 2020
netherlands:

OK
But what then does her being too young entail in this case. What do you think could be a negative effect or aspect of her having a phone at that age?
well.
you know based on African view, it's bad
but in Western it not bad.
for me just follow your heart desires.

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper For A Four Year Old Child To Own A Phone? by ambient: 3:41pm On Jun 10, 2020
My 4year old had a phone since he was two,and he is fine,he can operate anything on that phone but i made sure there is no sim card. He uses it to entertain himself when bored.

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper For A Four Year Old Child To Own A Phone? by yvelchstores(f): 3:41pm On Jun 10, 2020
Without Sim is fine. So long as you have deleted all videos and so on
Re: Is It Proper For A Four Year Old Child To Own A Phone? by netherlands: 3:49pm On Jun 10, 2020
fati2001:

well.
you know based on African view, it's bad
but in Western it not bad.
for me just follow your heart desires.

OK
But based on African views what reasons should we give the child in explaining to her that we have to take the phone back because it's bad according to African view.
I mean, how do you explain African views to 21st century 4year old,? Because take it or leave it, she is going to ask me the reasons why?
Re: Is It Proper For A Four Year Old Child To Own A Phone? by netherlands: 3:57pm On Jun 10, 2020
ambient:
My 4year old had a phone since he was two,and he is fine,he can operate anything on that phone but i made sure there is no sim card. He uses it to entertain himself when bored.
OK
Good.
My daughter have been using our phones since about same age but this is the first time she's actually owning one, and I know some people might have a different perspective on it. Which is why I am here. I want the best for my child like most parents too, but we can't be perfect at all, that's why I want other people's opinion. After all, there's an African saying that a child is not trained by one person.
Re: Is It Proper For A Four Year Old Child To Own A Phone? by Mariangeles(f): 4:15pm On Jun 10, 2020
netherlands:

OK
Good.
My daughter have been using our phones since about same age but this is the first time she's actually owning one, and I know some people might have a different perspective on it. Which is why I am here. I want the best for my child like most parents too, but we can't be perfect at all, that's why I want other people's opinion. After all, there's an African saying that a child is not trained by one person.

It makes absolute no sense for a 4yr old to own a phone.
Get her learning toys instead.

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper For A Four Year Old Child To Own A Phone? by Acidosis(m): 4:46pm On Jun 10, 2020
Nawao... So who will now use the toys in the market?? Adults?

2 Likes

Re: Is It Proper For A Four Year Old Child To Own A Phone? by XXXXTENTACION: 5:11pm On Jun 10, 2020
NobleAngell:
That cannot be her reason because she said she took out the sim.
olodo didn't you see where i said for example? I only used it as an illustration.
Re: Is It Proper For A Four Year Old Child To Own A Phone? by netherlands: 5:22pm On Jun 10, 2020
Mariangeles:

It makes absolute no sense for a 4yr old to own a phone. Get her learning toys instead.
OK But you have yet to tell us why. Elaborate on why it makes no sense.
Re: Is It Proper For A Four Year Old Child To Own A Phone? by netherlands: 5:24pm On Jun 10, 2020
Acidosis:

Nawao... So who will now use the toys in the market?? Adults?
LOL � That is a good question!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Zee World Series Age Is Just A Number November Teasers 2020 || 2 To 10 November / LG Double Door Fridge For Sale / Say Goodbye To Coffins" These Organic Burial Pods Will Turn Your Body Into...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.