Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,074 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:16 AM

Aliyu Aziz: Over 100 Million Nigerians Have No Form Of Identification - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Aliyu Aziz: Over 100 Million Nigerians Have No Form Of Identification (15516 Views)

Abdul Aziz Yari Of Zamfara State Testing Mic For Tinubu / Abdul Aziz Yari Visits Wike Again (Pictures) / Find Out Why There Should Be No Form Of Criminality In Kaduna (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Aliyu Aziz: Over 100 Million Nigerians Have No Form Of Identification by ExAngel007(f): 12:42am On Jun 11, 2020
The National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) says more than 100 million Nigerians have no form of identification.

Aliyu Aziz, director-general of the NIMC, disclosed this during a meeting with editors held via Zoom on Wednesday.

Aziz, who spoke on the topic: “Strategic Roadmap for ID Development”, said less than 50 percent of the country’s population is not enrolled in the commission’s database.

“Over 100 million Nigerians have no identity (ID). These include the poorest and the most vulnerable groups, such as the marginalised – women and girls, the less-educated people, migrants, refugees, asylum seekers, stateless persons, people with disabilities and people living in rural and remote areas,” he said.

“The estimated population of Nigeria stands at 200 million. Only about 38 percent of the population have any form of ID.”

According to the NIMC boss, the commission has issued 41.5 million unique identifiers, known as national identification numbers (NIN), since the commencement of identity registration and enrolment in 2012.

He also said the commission registers all Nigerian citizens within and outside the country, as well as legal residents.

“Between 2012 till date, only 41.5 million citizens and legal residents have been enrolled into the National Identity Database (NIDB) and issued unique NIN, an average of 5.2 million enrollments per annum,” he said.

“At this rate, it will take a long time to enroll the remainder of the people currently living in the country today, and by that time, about 292 million more people would have been added.

“Hence, the need for a strategy to enroll the backlog within the shortest possible time. And that is the reason for the idea of strategic roadmap and the birth of the ecosystem approach.”

Aziz said while the identity card had an expiration date, the NIN issued was for a lifetime, and emphasised the need for people to be registered.

“Identity matters a lot for development, as inclusive and trusted ID systems can help achieve the goals of empowering individuals and enhancing their access to rights, services and the formal economy,” he added.

“It helps in strengthening transparency, promoting efficiency and effectiveness in governance, service delivery and accountability.

“It also supports private sector development and service delivery, grows digital economy as well as regional and global integration as well as generates reliable data.

“Good ID system supports development goals, including access to finance, gender and equality, empowerment, access to basic health and education services, child protection, migration and labour market opportunities, improved access and quality of social protection as well as governance.”

He said people were registering more in Lagos, Abuja, Kaduna and Kano compared to other cities, while residents in the south-east appeared to show little interest in the identity capturing, NAN reported.

According to the NIMC director-general, the commission had entered strategic partnerships with NAN, National Orientation Agency (NOA), Nigerian Television Authority (NTA) and other media agencies to sensitise Nigerians on the importance of identity registration.
https://www.thecable.ng/nimc-dg-over-100-million-nigerians-have-no-form-of-identification

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Aliyu Aziz: Over 100 Million Nigerians Have No Form Of Identification by chatinent: 12:52am On Jun 11, 2020
Nigeria is a heterogeneous international village. Hey Taxi, take me to Burundi.

47 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Aliyu Aziz: Over 100 Million Nigerians Have No Form Of Identification by Justpassingby45(m): 1:10am On Jun 11, 2020
Cause by his people up north in the name of Boko Haramist

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Aliyu Aziz: Over 100 Million Nigerians Have No Form Of Identification by domido(m): 1:24am On Jun 11, 2020
Is it the identity of the ones who expire or the ones who have registered but up till now have no ID card to show?

146 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Aliyu Aziz: Over 100 Million Nigerians Have No Form Of Identification by jacquincy: 2:08am On Jun 11, 2020
NIMC and any program that will reveal the true statistics of the nothern population cannot really work under this govt. Goodluck started identity management well.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Aliyu Aziz: Over 100 Million Nigerians Have No Form Of Identification by Nobody: 2:40am On Jun 11, 2020
Do we even have a border in Nigeria? Anybody can just cross the border and claim to be Nigerian and there’s nothing the govt can do about it.

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Aliyu Aziz: Over 100 Million Nigerians Have No Form Of Identification by Trueigbo: 5:20am On Jun 11, 2020
Because we have over 100million who are not Nigerians

Smh

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Aliyu Aziz: Over 100 Million Nigerians Have No Form Of Identification by Untainted007: 5:21am On Jun 11, 2020
Does it make any difference? If it does Covid 19 palliatives for instance won't av gone to wrong hands. Our president who have been calling some people the poorer of the poorest. In a country that is working will always av updated data if every occupants in the country.

1 Like

Re: Aliyu Aziz: Over 100 Million Nigerians Have No Form Of Identification by Nobody: 5:21am On Jun 11, 2020
True, the process getting one is stressful

Be security smart. Install a car tracker to always know your car is safe

Check my signature

1 Like

Re: Aliyu Aziz: Over 100 Million Nigerians Have No Form Of Identification by MANNABBQGRILLS: 5:21am On Jun 11, 2020
The estimated population of Nigeria stands at 200 million. Only about 38 percent of the population have any form of ID.”

The foundation of this nation has been destroyed since and prior 1960.

In saner Climes, you are absolutely NOTHING'S without your identity or Social Security Pin/Number.
And they have the database for every citizens.

Where do we even start from in our darling nation?
No database whatsoever, 
Someone can commit a crime in Lagos and run to Sokoto, he may be there for years with no one finding him or her,
it's not like that in Obodo oyibo.

There was a country.

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Aliyu Aziz: Over 100 Million Nigerians Have No Form Of Identification by Lexusgs430: 5:22am On Jun 11, 2020
The politicians are already using it, to their advantage...........

2023 on their minds, another vote rigging bonanza..........

3 Likes

Re: Aliyu Aziz: Over 100 Million Nigerians Have No Form Of Identification by jamesharryson(m): 5:22am On Jun 11, 2020
Nigeria is a dead zone
Re: Aliyu Aziz: Over 100 Million Nigerians Have No Form Of Identification by Nobody: 5:22am On Jun 11, 2020
Jokers!, what about people that registered since 19 kpirigim (2014), we are yet to see how the actual ID's look like talk more of touch it.
I was even told mine had expired, that i need to renew!!! Nonsense and ingredients

17 Likes

Re: Aliyu Aziz: Over 100 Million Nigerians Have No Form Of Identification by ForeThinker: 5:23am On Jun 11, 2020
Inside Life

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable

6 Likes

Re: Aliyu Aziz: Over 100 Million Nigerians Have No Form Of Identification by Mekanus(m): 5:24am On Jun 11, 2020
Useless NIMC

7 Likes

Re: Aliyu Aziz: Over 100 Million Nigerians Have No Form Of Identification by realwiz1(m): 5:24am On Jun 11, 2020
How would they have when it takes eternity to issue them their National identity card undecided

10 Likes

Re: Aliyu Aziz: Over 100 Million Nigerians Have No Form Of Identification by Cutiekatty: 5:24am On Jun 11, 2020
So we get data base?
Re: Aliyu Aziz: Over 100 Million Nigerians Have No Form Of Identification by YoungLionone: 5:24am On Jun 11, 2020
Q

1 Like

Re: Aliyu Aziz: Over 100 Million Nigerians Have No Form Of Identification by Juell(m): 5:25am On Jun 11, 2020
Hmmm..... Those who have registered, where are their ID cards? Ordinary ID you people can not print and give people. I weep for this country.

20 Likes

Re: Aliyu Aziz: Over 100 Million Nigerians Have No Form Of Identification by MANNABBQGRILLS: 5:25am On Jun 11, 2020
Cutiekatty:
So we get data base?
They should start from somewhere.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Aliyu Aziz: Over 100 Million Nigerians Have No Form Of Identification by fixedhollies(m): 5:26am On Jun 11, 2020
Whose fault?

1 Like

Re: Aliyu Aziz: Over 100 Million Nigerians Have No Form Of Identification by directonpc(m): 5:27am On Jun 11, 2020
How
Re: Aliyu Aziz: Over 100 Million Nigerians Have No Form Of Identification by Ogbuu101: 5:29am On Jun 11, 2020
Na lie
Re: Aliyu Aziz: Over 100 Million Nigerians Have No Form Of Identification by richard870(m): 5:29am On Jun 11, 2020
Nonsense

1 Like

Re: Aliyu Aziz: Over 100 Million Nigerians Have No Form Of Identification by hamid6249: 5:29am On Jun 11, 2020
This is as a result of imvompetence from various part of government agencies that issues it out , na only voters card you fit get for naija without waiting for 10 years before it get ready

2 Likes

Re: Aliyu Aziz: Over 100 Million Nigerians Have No Form Of Identification by Ghostmode2two(m): 5:30am On Jun 11, 2020
How easy is the collection when you are registered. Imagine that you don't know your NIN and the phone number you used in registering is lost, how can one get the ID Card? Can you just walk into their office and your ID could be traced with your name and email?
Re: Aliyu Aziz: Over 100 Million Nigerians Have No Form Of Identification by XXLMANDIGO: 5:34am On Jun 11, 2020
Sad bit whose fault?
Re: Aliyu Aziz: Over 100 Million Nigerians Have No Form Of Identification by 1Alex: 5:34am On Jun 11, 2020
I was locked down Anambra after a visit, that i went to NIMC office in anambra yesterday to register, I was told that the office has been close for a very long time.

This is how their office is.[img]https://ibb.co/4N2kZbY[/img]

I was directed to a first bank where they also do the registration, I went there and was told that since February they have not been coming.

It is written on their website that they also register at the awka immigration office, I went there, yet was told that for a long time, they have not come. Is this how people will register and have Identification?

13 Likes

Re: Aliyu Aziz: Over 100 Million Nigerians Have No Form Of Identification by recievesense: 5:34am On Jun 11, 2020
NIMC check my moniker

1 Like

Re: Aliyu Aziz: Over 100 Million Nigerians Have No Form Of Identification by Nobody: 5:34am On Jun 11, 2020
how do you want them to register when it takes like forever go get a national ID.

ordinary card we can't print for people in this country

6 Likes

Re: Aliyu Aziz: Over 100 Million Nigerians Have No Form Of Identification by Triangles1(m): 5:35am On Jun 11, 2020
Silently I wept the day a Niger man shows me his Nigeria National Identity Card, for over 5 years now I have my own registered at WUSE center just to check last year I was told 2015 batch is not ready.

We always accept any shit and angles this gov push us to.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Aliyu Aziz: Over 100 Million Nigerians Have No Form Of Identification by miteolu(m): 5:36am On Jun 11, 2020
Oga! Where is my Original National ID?

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Garba Shehu To Yakasai: Buhari's Support For Bola Tinubu Is Unquestionable / Check Out Hon Patrick Obahiagbon Grammer Session In The House Of Rep: Na Waoh! / This Is The Reason Fashola Does Not Want To Be Probed - A Must Read.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.