Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,842 members, 7,813,835 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:31 PM

Can A Man Less Than 35 Years Contest For Governor - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Can A Man Less Than 35 Years Contest For Governor (288 Views)

Details Of The N75bn Fund Approved For Nigerian Youths Between 18 & 35 Years / I Will Give Women More Than 35 Percent If Elected In 2019, Says Olawepo Hashim / Ambode Faces Impeachment As 57 LG Chairmen Endorse Jide Sanwoolu For Governor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can A Man Less Than 35 Years Contest For Governor by callthefred: 11:27am On Jun 11, 2020
To lawyers and constitution gurus in the house. A friend wants to contest Edo governorship elections, however he would be a few days to 35 years by election day and would already be 35 by swearing in day. Can he contest?. Thanks.
Re: Can A Man Less Than 35 Years Contest For Governor by Amotolongbo(f): 11:35am On Jun 11, 2020
I am not a constitution Lawyer, but I think I can translate what the constitution states in my little understanding.

Part II State Executive
A - Governor of a State
176. (1) There shall be for each State of the Federation a Governor.
(2) The governor of a shall be the Chief Executive of that state
177. A person shall be qualified for election to the office of Governor of a State if (a) he is a citizen of Nigeria by birth;
(b) he has attained the age of thirty-five years;

(c) he is a member of a political party and is sponsored by that political party; and
(d) he has been educated up to at least School Certificate level or its equivalent.

https://www.wipo.int/edocs/lexdocs/laws/en/ng/ng014en.pdf
No, your friend is not qualified to contest sir

The bolded part states that a person shall be qualified for an election If he has attained the age of 35

Anyone that hasn’t officially reached the age of 35 as at the day of election isn’t eligible to be voted for, cos he isn’t elligible to contest.

Had the constitution stated that 35years is qualified to be in office, not election this time, then he can contest the election since he will be 35years before being sworn in.

1 Like

Re: Can A Man Less Than 35 Years Contest For Governor by oluwadabira111(m): 11:37am On Jun 11, 2020
callthefred:
To lawyers and constitution gurus in the house. A friend wants to contest Edo governorship elections, however he would be a few days to 35 years by election day and would already be 35 by swearing in day. Can he contest?. Thanks.
I don't think so but let's wait for the elders in the house!
Re: Can A Man Less Than 35 Years Contest For Governor by obonujoker(m): 11:55am On Jun 11, 2020
In a country like Nigeria or where?!
Re: Can A Man Less Than 35 Years Contest For Governor by Amotolongbo(f): 11:58am On Jun 11, 2020
obonujoker:
In a country like Nigeria or where?!
He said Edo State.

Na only Tokyo in Japan dey bear Edo before and e don change name. Shey Edo State Dey another country ni?
Re: Can A Man Less Than 35 Years Contest For Governor by CHRISDMANAGER(m): 12:03pm On Jun 11, 2020
No! He is not eligible to Contest for the office of the Governor..
The 1999 Constitution of the federal Republic of Nigeria Chapter VI ,Part 2 stated it clearly that for anyone to contest for the post of Governorship, he must be 35 years and above with some other conditions...
Re: Can A Man Less Than 35 Years Contest For Governor by Vyzz: 12:22pm On Jun 11, 2020
grin
Re: Can A Man Less Than 35 Years Contest For Governor by pyyxxaro: 12:29pm On Jun 11, 2020
Yes he can

But nor allow them Tony Kabaka use pepper body meet that ur friend oh

because the way Obaseki de worry them , if there catch ur friend

Naa UBTH e go do Christmas oh

(1) (Reply)

*Edo govt warns of stiff penalties for violators of COVID-19 gazette on politica / Nigeria’s State-owned Oil Corp. Publishes Audited Accounts / It's Funny Nairaland Doesn't Have A Poll.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.