Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,025 members, 7,818,027 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:26 AM

Robbers Bomb Bank With Dynamite In Lagos: Police Is Worried About Their Safety - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Robbers Bomb Bank With Dynamite In Lagos: Police Is Worried About Their Safety (9974 Views)

Lagos police arrests gangsters, murderers & armed robbers / Ikorodu Robbers Bomb Their Operational Vehicles As They Escape (photo) / . (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Robbers Bomb Bank With Dynamite In Lagos: Police Is Worried About Their Safety by aloyemeka1: 9:28pm On Jan 24, 2011
Robbers bomb bank in Lagos • Police recover unexpended dynamite, as bank declares operation unsuccessful
By SEYE OJO and CHRISTOPHER ORJI

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Armed robbers in the early hours of yesterday allegedly bombed a new generation bank in Ayobo. It was gathered that the gunmen, numbering about 50, stormed the bank at about 1. 30a.m and operated for three hours. A visit to the bank showed that its bulletproof security doors were smashed with a powerful explosive. Also, three Automated Teller Machines (ATM) and the bank’s security post were wreaked by bullets and dynamites.
Sources revealed that the police have recovered one unexpended dynamite at the scene.

When Saturday Sun visited the bank yesterday, two Armoured Personnel Carriers (APCs) were stationed at the bank. Also, there were police vans in the bank premises.

A source in the bank told newsmen that no life was lost and that no money was carted away by the invading gunmen, who allegedly came from Ayetoro boundary of Ogun State. He explained that the robbers were unsuccessful because of the security measures put in place in the bank, while giving assurance that there was no cause for alarm.

The bank chief explained that newsmen were not allowed to enter the bank for security reasons, adding that security operatives have to do forensic analysis at the scene.

It was gathered that immediately the robbers arrived the bank, they divided themselves into three groups. One group barricaded the road that led to the bank from Iyana-Ipaja; the second group blocked the road from the other end, while the third forced its way into the bank building.

Residents of Ayobo, who pleaded anonymity, likened the incident to the Ikeja bomb blast that occurred on Sunday, January 27, 2001. They said the sound of the explosives and gunshots woke them from their sleep and they scampered for safety.

One of the residents stated: “At 1. 00a.m, I heard heavy sound and I stood up immediately. I listened carefully and the sound continued at intervals. At first, I thought it was another Ikeja bomb blast. So, I went to hide under my bed but the sound continued. Later, I realised that the sound was coming from the location of the bank.”

Another resident, Sikiru Iyanda, told Saturday Sun: “When the sound from the dynamites and gunshots woke me up, what came to my mind was that these Boko Haram militants have come to invade Lagos. So, I called my wife and children and we began to pray.

“It was in the middle of the night; we could not run anywhere. All we could do was to pray to God to save us. It was later that we got to know that armed robbers came to the bank to operate.”

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2011/jan/22/national-22-01-2011-013.htm
Re: Robbers Bomb Bank With Dynamite In Lagos: Police Is Worried About Their Safety by Stompie: 9:51pm On Jan 24, 2011
And after all that effort,they left with nothing grin

This is serious though,50 armed robbers. Thank God no one was hurt
Re: Robbers Bomb Bank With Dynamite In Lagos: Police Is Worried About Their Safety by aloyemeka1: 9:53pm On Jan 24, 2011
Next time, they will come with B52 bomber jets. Inside sources claims the police is now saying to your tents oh israel, we no fit fight this one o.
Re: Robbers Bomb Bank With Dynamite In Lagos: Police Is Worried About Their Safety by otikpoko(m): 9:56pm On Jan 24, 2011
This is serious!!!!
Re: Robbers Bomb Bank With Dynamite In Lagos: Police Is Worried About Their Safety by babaowo: 9:58pm On Jan 24, 2011
no cash missing hmmmmmmmmmm
Re: Robbers Bomb Bank With Dynamite In Lagos: Police Is Worried About Their Safety by abasifo(m): 10:03pm On Jan 24, 2011
aloy/emeka:

Robbers bomb bank in Lagos • Police recover unexpended dynamite, as bank declares operation unsuccessful
By SEYE OJO and CHRISTOPHER ORJI

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Armed robbers in the early hours of yesterday allegedly bombed a new generation bank in Ayobo. It was gathered that the gunmen, numbering about 50, stormed the bank at about 1. 30a.m and operated for three hours. A visit to the bank showed that its bulletproof security doors were smashed with a powerful explosive. Also, three Automated Teller Machines (ATM) and the bank’s security post were wreaked by bullets and dynamites.

Who was doing d counting ?
Re: Robbers Bomb Bank With Dynamite In Lagos: Police Is Worried About Their Safety by DeepSoul(f): 10:10pm On Jan 24, 2011
^^ Good question oh!

How did they get all the details about how they divided themselves in groups and how many they were??

Abi 9ja don get CCTV
Re: Robbers Bomb Bank With Dynamite In Lagos: Police Is Worried About Their Safety by MMM2(m): 10:11pm On Jan 24, 2011
thank GOD dere waz no death record.
Re: Robbers Bomb Bank With Dynamite In Lagos: Police Is Worried About Their Safety by Nobody: 10:19pm On Jan 24, 2011
How they got the exact number of armed robbers in the incident is really mysterious. There's need for questioning
Re: Robbers Bomb Bank With Dynamite In Lagos: Police Is Worried About Their Safety by VERYANGRY(m): 10:23pm On Jan 24, 2011
Im sure they didn't come for the cash in the first place grin grin,,for 3 Urs nd police didn't show up to engage them Very soon now,armed robbers go dey go with armoured tanks nd ATM pulling machine,those lads dey vex well well sha,bombing a bank nd doing the gun play thin for 3hr,good movie though
Re: Robbers Bomb Bank With Dynamite In Lagos: Police Is Worried About Their Safety by orbaxy(m): 10:25pm On Jan 24, 2011
abasifo:

e be like you just dey come.
CIA been warn GEJ but him no take the threat serious. They already had the statistics.
"we know who did it, but we pray that these criminals well repent and turn themselves over"
Re: Robbers Bomb Bank With Dynamite In Lagos: Police Is Worried About Their Safety by tlops(m): 10:26pm On Jan 24, 2011
O ga gan oh, this lazy thieves
Re: Robbers Bomb Bank With Dynamite In Lagos: Police Is Worried About Their Safety by VERYANGRY(m): 10:29pm On Jan 24, 2011
Yeah,that figure,whoever figured that number out should appear bf the house of assemble,how did he manage to count them or he is an insider grin
Re: Robbers Bomb Bank With Dynamite In Lagos: Police Is Worried About Their Safety by CyberG: 10:32pm On Jan 24, 2011
aloy/emeka:

Next time, they will come with B52 bomber jets. Inside sources claims the police is now saying to your tents oh israel, we no fit fight this one o.

LOL. . .well, the money they want to steal will be long turned to ashes by the end of their bombing runs.
Re: Robbers Bomb Bank With Dynamite In Lagos: Police Is Worried About Their Safety by fredoooooo: 10:34pm On Jan 24, 2011
abasifo:

good question, lol
Re: Robbers Bomb Bank With Dynamite In Lagos: Police Is Worried About Their Safety by PeeDaVinci: 10:36pm On Jan 24, 2011
nigeria's journalists at work again, why do they just like exaggeration??i am sure the number can never be up to 50, na wa ooo
Re: Robbers Bomb Bank With Dynamite In Lagos: Police Is Worried About Their Safety by Prince081: 10:51pm On Jan 24, 2011
They are loosers cos they were ill prepared.
Fighter jets would have made the job easier.
Rubbish
Re: Robbers Bomb Bank With Dynamite In Lagos: Police Is Worried About Their Safety by sulad82i(m): 10:58pm On Jan 24, 2011
Only God know how long those pple were there . . . . with no police or any security personnel on site. Maybe they were deep asleep undecided
Re: Robbers Bomb Bank With Dynamite In Lagos: Police Is Worried About Their Safety by McCoy91(m): 11:19pm On Jan 24, 2011
Dulling robbers. 50, 3 hours. Lol @ the people thinking hiding under the bed can save them from bomb blasts. .
Re: Robbers Bomb Bank With Dynamite In Lagos: Police Is Worried About Their Safety by violent(m): 11:25pm On Jan 24, 2011
At 1. 00a.m, I heard heavy sound and I stood up immediately. I listened carefully and the sound continued at intervals. At first, I thought it was another Ikeja bomb blast. So, I went to hide under my bed but the sound continued. Later, I realised that the sound was coming from the location of the bank.”

haha, smart move, i hear beds are now appropriate bomb shelters
Re: Robbers Bomb Bank With Dynamite In Lagos: Police Is Worried About Their Safety by blank(f): 11:26pm On Jan 24, 2011
Its possible dey were up 2 50. When robbers robbed d spare parts market in Nnewi and all d banks dere, they numbered over 60. This was in January 2006. I personally saw some in a truck numbering around 20. I rushed 2 hide in d ceiling but I heard many more trucks passing (or was it d same truck passing back n forth?) When news said over 60, I believed it.
Re: Robbers Bomb Bank With Dynamite In Lagos: Police Is Worried About Their Safety by poweredcom(m): 11:30pm On Jan 24, 2011
Men boys are not smiling,
Re: Robbers Bomb Bank With Dynamite In Lagos: Police Is Worried About Their Safety by Adido(m): 12:05am On Jan 25, 2011
abasifo:

ha ha ha ha ha ha. nice one!
Re: Robbers Bomb Bank With Dynamite In Lagos: Police Is Worried About Their Safety by likeithot(f): 12:06am On Jan 25, 2011
Na wah o, when will Naija become safe to live in. I can imagine how terrified the residents were. Oga o. May God help us in Naija o

How they got the exact number of armed robbers in the incident is really mysterious. There's need for questioning
[quote][/quote] I'm telling you o. lolz
Re: Robbers Bomb Bank With Dynamite In Lagos: Police Is Worried About Their Safety by hawley(m): 12:11am On Jan 25, 2011
The robbers are clearly uninformed grin
Dynamites do not open a vault, keys do. cheesy undecided
Re: Robbers Bomb Bank With Dynamite In Lagos: Police Is Worried About Their Safety by lastpage: 12:28am On Jan 25, 2011
Next time a bank builds its office next to my home/building, I WILL JUST VACATE THE AREA COMPLETELY! shocked

Except they can grant me "inconvenience/endangerment" loan grin

By the way, where did they get these dynamite and how come they never thought about the National Assembly?
@30Million naira/ Month, the N.A will yield more money (plus the one PDP just shared during primaries) than a Bank! lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
(No be me talk am o, l read am on the wall in front of me here, walahi grin )

Anyway, they say armed robbers are dumb people otherwise, they would not be armed robbers in the first place (think about 'pen-robbers'!)

Shioooo unto them
Re: Robbers Bomb Bank With Dynamite In Lagos: Police Is Worried About Their Safety by semid4lyfe(m): 1:33am On Jan 25, 2011
So upon the the 3hrs operation with dynamite and explosives + the blowing up of the ATM Machine and bank bullet-proof doors, the robbers left the bank with nothing? shocked The robbers are just plain stooopid grin

We're getting there small small sha. Very soon thieves will be carrying out well-planned and highly sophisticated & technology aided heists in this country. . .the type we only see in hollywood films.  cool
Re: Robbers Bomb Bank With Dynamite In Lagos: Police Is Worried About Their Safety by Nobody: 2:37am On Jan 25, 2011
Na wa 4 some people self,the news said about 50,they did not say they are 50,anyways even if they said 50, I will not doubt them,in that country anything is possible tongue
Re: Robbers Bomb Bank With Dynamite In Lagos: Police Is Worried About Their Safety by roselynbas(f): 3:20am On Jan 25, 2011
dem carry amoured tank after the robbery don finish for broad day light. why the tank no come out for night? hsss!
Re: Robbers Bomb Bank With Dynamite In Lagos: Police Is Worried About Their Safety by ruffhandu: 5:04am On Jan 25, 2011
Deep Soul:

^^ Good question oh!

How did they get all the details about how they divided themselves in groups and how many they were??

Abi 9ja don get CCTV

I doubt if there is a bank in Nigeria now without CCTV innside out.
Re: Robbers Bomb Bank With Dynamite In Lagos: Police Is Worried About Their Safety by Nobody: 6:17am On Jan 25, 2011
50? I doubt if any of them left without a kobo. I doubt?
Re: Robbers Bomb Bank With Dynamite In Lagos: Police Is Worried About Their Safety by sweeti14(f): 6:37am On Jan 25, 2011
*puts hands on head and laments* dem don turn Naija to Iraq finish oh! cry nah bomb dem dey take rob bank now sad shocked

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Insecurity In Iba Local Government Area Of Lagos As Kidnapping Is On The Rise / See What Happened To Girl Who Tried To Steal Yahoo Boys Phone / You Think This White People Love You (check Pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.