Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,188 members, 7,811,481 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:44 PM

SA Shuts Schools 4 Days After Reopening, As Covid-19 Strikes 77 Facilities - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / SA Shuts Schools 4 Days After Reopening, As Covid-19 Strikes 77 Facilities (1965 Views)

The Taliban Closes Afghan Girls’ Schools Hours After Reopening (Pictures) / Ambrose Alli University Law Graduate Dies In Accident 4 Days After Signing Out / Osun State Government Shuts Schools Indefinitely (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

SA Shuts Schools 4 Days After Reopening, As Covid-19 Strikes 77 Facilities by TMKsouth: 6:19pm On Jun 11, 2020
Teaching at seventy-seven schools in the Eastern Cape province of South Africa have been affected within four days of reopening - some due to confirmed Covid-19 cases and others as a result of suspected cases.

Eastern Cape education department of spokesperson Loyiso Pulumani said 48 of the schools were investigating suspicions of the novel coronavirus, and 29 were closed after positive cases were confirmed.

The department, which manages about 5 000 schools, has called for calm.

According to the Nationals, 31 of the schools were in the Buffalo City Metro (BCM), incorporating East London, King William's Town, the capital Bhisho and surrounding rural settlements.

Eastern Cape chairperson of the National Association of School Governing Bodies, Mongameli Peter, said they had warned the department about the premature reopening of schools.

"In Nelson Mandela Bay, there are more than five schools closed and in [the] BCM, there are 31. The numbers are rising by each hour. We are concerned. We had said before that let us use June and July for thorough preparations and open schools in August. This situation is forcing the education stakeholders to review their position on this matter
."

Schools were reopened in a staggered manner for pupils in grades 12 and 7 on Monday, amid great anxiety from parents, SGBs (school governing bodies) and teacher unions over the possible rapid spread of Covid-19.

The province has two metropoles - Nelson Mandela Bay and Buffalo City - and six district municipalities. Schools in these areas were expecting 13 000 pupils in grades 12 and 7 to return on Monday.

On Thursday, Pulumani said, "Schools do not need to be closed for an indefinite amount of time as cleaning occurs. After advice from the health department on who needs to isolate and [after] cleaning has been done, schooling can resume."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.news24.com/amp/news24/southafrica/news/29-eastern-cape-schools-close-due-to-positive-covid-19-cases-48-more-have-suspected-cases-20200611

Re: SA Shuts Schools 4 Days After Reopening, As Covid-19 Strikes 77 Facilities by calaway: 6:28pm On Jun 11, 2020
A decision fraught with folly....How does a rational adult phantom that CHILDREN can be responsible by a hair strand to navigate a risky Highly contagious disease ridden environment.

1 Like

Re: SA Shuts Schools 4 Days After Reopening, As Covid-19 Strikes 77 Facilities by Sabby1(m): 6:31pm On Jun 11, 2020
It is quite difficult to contain corona virus spread in schools, considering the fact that pupils and students could rarely have a nice time without coming in contact with each other.

Personally, I feel schools should still be shutdown till a more profound way of reducing the spread is brought forward, because the corona virus disease spread isn't ready to end soon.

2 Likes

Re: SA Shuts Schools 4 Days After Reopening, As Covid-19 Strikes 77 Facilities by TMKsouth: 6:46pm On Jun 11, 2020
Sabby1:
It is quite difficult to contain corona virus spread in schools, considering the fact that pupils and students could rarely have a nice time without coming in contact with each other.

Playtime has been scrapped, but clearly these measures aren't enough.

1 Like

Re: SA Shuts Schools 4 Days After Reopening, As Covid-19 Strikes 77 Facilities by TMKsouth: 6:48pm On Jun 11, 2020
calaway:
A decision fraught with folly....How does a rational adult phantom that CHILDREN can be responsible by a hair strand to navigate a risky Highly contagious disease ridden environment.

Parents have an option not to send their kids to school. But then again, the government is putting them in a difficult position.
Re: SA Shuts Schools 4 Days After Reopening, As Covid-19 Strikes 77 Facilities by anubabab: 6:55pm On Jun 11, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W427bmUWQk4

Watch the facts about June 12 here.

2 Likes

Re: SA Shuts Schools 4 Days After Reopening, As Covid-19 Strikes 77 Facilities by WannaHowzit(m): 6:56pm On Jun 11, 2020
2020 school year should be cancelled globally so we all on the same footing next year. No one should open this year to gain advantage over others.
Re: SA Shuts Schools 4 Days After Reopening, As Covid-19 Strikes 77 Facilities by paulolee(m): 8:20pm On Jun 11, 2020
haabaaa....wrong move
Re: SA Shuts Schools 4 Days After Reopening, As Covid-19 Strikes 77 Facilities by TMKsouth: 8:26pm On Jun 11, 2020
paulolee:
haabaaa....wrong move

Someone has got to test the waters first. SA is trying it out as did Israel below. Lessons for other countries.

Re: SA Shuts Schools 4 Days After Reopening, As Covid-19 Strikes 77 Facilities by paulolee(m): 8:45pm On Jun 11, 2020
TMKsouth:

Someone has got to test the waters first. SA is trying it out as did Israel below. Lessons for other countries.
and that calabar ben ayade is doing it in Nigeria..i jus pray it ends well for him

2 Likes

Re: SA Shuts Schools 4 Days After Reopening, As Covid-19 Strikes 77 Facilities by TMKsouth: 8:54pm On Jun 11, 2020
paulolee:

and that calabar ben ayade is doing it in Nigeria..i jus pray it ends well for him

Yes, let's consider calabar as Nigeria's test case. But is it a competent state? I'm not in Nigeria.
Re: SA Shuts Schools 4 Days After Reopening, As Covid-19 Strikes 77 Facilities by SirWarlock: 8:59pm On Jun 11, 2020
TMKsouth:

Yes, let's consider calabar as Nigeria's test case. But is it a competent state? I'm not in Nigeria.
Who knows anymore undecided. They aren't testing
Re: SA Shuts Schools 4 Days After Reopening, As Covid-19 Strikes 77 Facilities by paulolee(m): 9:00pm On Jun 11, 2020
TMKsouth:

yes...he claimed dt its the only state without covid cases as reported by ncdc..
Re: SA Shuts Schools 4 Days After Reopening, As Covid-19 Strikes 77 Facilities by TMKsouth: 9:11pm On Jun 11, 2020
SirWarlock:
Who knows anymore undecided. They aren't testing

That doesn't sound good. I learnt from someone here that Kogi has done just 111 tests. Now you also telling me this?

FYI, in contrast SA hit the 1 million mark for tests today.
Re: SA Shuts Schools 4 Days After Reopening, As Covid-19 Strikes 77 Facilities by TMKsouth: 9:14pm On Jun 11, 2020
paulolee:

yes...he claimed dt its the only state without covid cases as reported by ncdc..

It would have been reasonable to reopen if they were testing on a large scale and were confident the state is low risk. But the poster above SirWarlock says it's actually the opposite.
Re: SA Shuts Schools 4 Days After Reopening, As Covid-19 Strikes 77 Facilities by SirWarlock: 9:58pm On Jun 11, 2020
TMKsouth:

That doesn't sound good. I learnt from someone here that Kogi has done just 111 tests. Now you also telling me this?

FYI, in contrast SA hit the 1 million mark for tests today.
Not according to official data from the ncdc. Data has it that they've only tested 4 samples that's why they've just 3 cases. I don't get the unnecessary tussle especially on the part of the state government undecided.
Re: SA Shuts Schools 4 Days After Reopening, As Covid-19 Strikes 77 Facilities by TMKsouth: 10:22pm On Jun 11, 2020
SirWarlock:
Not according to official data from the ncdc. Data has it that they've only tested 4 samples that's why they've just 3 cases. I don't get the unnecessary tussle especially on the part of the state government undecided.

You know state populations in Nigeria are the size of some countries?! Imagine hearing country X has only conducted 4 coronavirus tests in 3 months. Wouldn't that be embarrassing and reckless? I have no words.

1 Like

Re: SA Shuts Schools 4 Days After Reopening, As Covid-19 Strikes 77 Facilities by donbachi(m): 10:52pm On Jun 11, 2020
TMKsouth:

You know state populations in Nigeria are the size of some countries?! Imagine hearing country X has only conducted 4 coronavirus tests in 3 months. Wouldn't that be embarrassing and reckless? I have no words.
The ones u just typed,is called what?speeches I guess.lol.
Re: SA Shuts Schools 4 Days After Reopening, As Covid-19 Strikes 77 Facilities by chukwukapromise(m): 10:59pm On Jun 11, 2020
Hope dey for 9ja ladis?
Re: SA Shuts Schools 4 Days After Reopening, As Covid-19 Strikes 77 Facilities by SirWarlock: 11:03pm On Jun 11, 2020
TMKsouth:

At this point I just hope we're truly a special breed concerning covid sad Maybe our genes were prepared for it.
Re: SA Shuts Schools 4 Days After Reopening, As Covid-19 Strikes 77 Facilities by Lorazepam(f): 12:49am On Jun 12, 2020
TMKsouth:

cheesy cheesy cheesy
Bro, please how can one become a citizen of SA in a short period of time? this Nigeria matter don tire me grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: SA Shuts Schools 4 Days After Reopening, As Covid-19 Strikes 77 Facilities by TMKsouth: 2:10am On Jun 12, 2020
Lorazepam:

cheesy cheesy cheesy
Bro, please how can one become a citizen of SA in a short period of time? this Nigeria matter don tire me grin cheesy

Hi again! Well, it's at times of difficulty that our countries need us most.
Re: SA Shuts Schools 4 Days After Reopening, As Covid-19 Strikes 77 Facilities by TMKsouth: 2:11am On Jun 12, 2020
SirWarlock:
At this point I just hope we're truly a special breed concerning covid sad Maybe our genes were prepared for it.

Time will tell.
Re: SA Shuts Schools 4 Days After Reopening, As Covid-19 Strikes 77 Facilities by merieam16(f): 2:16am On Jun 12, 2020
lol watin den dey find up nd down. why did u open school wen u aren't sure of safety
Re: SA Shuts Schools 4 Days After Reopening, As Covid-19 Strikes 77 Facilities by TMKsouth: 2:18am On Jun 12, 2020
merieam16:
lol watin den dey find up nd down. why did u open school wen u aren't sure of safety

Safety measures are in place. Clearly they need to be strengthed.

https://www.nairaland.com/5907028/see-social-distancing-measures-public

1 Like

Re: SA Shuts Schools 4 Days After Reopening, As Covid-19 Strikes 77 Facilities by TMKsouth: 2:31am On Jun 12, 2020
donbachi:
The ones u just typed,is called what?speeches I guess.lol.

Last bit is figure of speech. grin
Re: SA Shuts Schools 4 Days After Reopening, As Covid-19 Strikes 77 Facilities by WannaHowzit(m): 6:59am On Jun 12, 2020
TMKsouth:

True.
Re: SA Shuts Schools 4 Days After Reopening, As Covid-19 Strikes 77 Facilities by gentlestdude(m): 9:28am On Jun 12, 2020
But this virus sef get as e be, na ear we dey use hear am
Re: SA Shuts Schools 4 Days After Reopening, As Covid-19 Strikes 77 Facilities by TMKsouth: 3:06pm On Jun 12, 2020
Gauteng is the province encompassing Johannesburg and Pretoria.

(1) (Reply)

Student Fights Lecturer & Tears His Shirt Because He Didn't Let Her Write Exam / ASUU, Don't Call Off Strike Yet; See Why Some Students Are Praying So / Esut Admission (second List)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.