Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,098 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:46 AM

Lagos High Court Sentences Two Men To Death For Rape, Robbery - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Lagos High Court Sentences Two Men To Death For Rape, Robbery (985 Views)

Abia Court Sentences Two Former Bakassi Operatives To Death By Hanging / Court Sentences Two To Death By Hanging For Robbery In Ekiti / Court Sentences Two Internet Fraudsters To Three Months Jail (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos High Court Sentences Two Men To Death For Rape, Robbery by rodeo0070(m): 9:11am On Jun 12, 2020
The Lagos State High Court, Igbosere, on Wednesday sentenced two armed robbers, Williams Umoh Udoh and Ubong Lazarus Isaiah to death for armed robbery and rape in Lagos.

The Solicitor-General/Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Justice, who is also the State lead prosecutor, Ms. Titilayo Shitta-Bey, said the two robbers were earlier arraigned by the government on an amended five-count charge in June 2017.

She submitted that the duo was arrested by the police and arraigned for conspiracy to commit robbery and armed robbery which contravenes the criminal justice act of Lagos State and urged the court to sentence the defendants accordingly, having found them guilty of the charges against them.

Shitta-Bey said the defendants, who pleaded not guilty, robbed the residents of Shepherd Estate, Ijegun on the 2nd of August 2015, while the 1st defendant William Udoh raped one of the victims during the robbery.

According to her “The testimonies of six witnesses including the victim of rape and armed robbery confirmed the allegations of the crime against Udoh and Isiah”.

The trial judge, Hon. Justice Atinuke Ipaye stated that the evidence provided by the prosecutor's witnesses was credible, compelling and cogent for the conviction of the defendants.

Justice Ipaye said she found the two robbers guilty of the charge and punishable under section 261, 297 and 295 (2) of the Criminal Law, CH, C.17 Vol 13 Laws of Lagos State 2015 and sentenced them accordingly.

SOURCE: https://brandspurng.com/2020/06/12/lagos-high-court-sentences-two-men-to-death-for-rape-robbery/

1 Like

Re: Lagos High Court Sentences Two Men To Death For Rape, Robbery by thesicilian: 9:17am On Jun 12, 2020
In my opinion, witness testimony alone, no matter how many witnesses, is never enough to sentence anyone to death.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos High Court Sentences Two Men To Death For Rape, Robbery by merit455(m): 9:23am On Jun 12, 2020
Death,no nah
Re: Lagos High Court Sentences Two Men To Death For Rape, Robbery by XXLMANDIGO: 9:24am On Jun 12, 2020
a
Re: Lagos High Court Sentences Two Men To Death For Rape, Robbery by Seun(m): 9:35am On Jun 12, 2020
Armed robbers and rapists should not be sentenced to death unless they killed someone. The punishment for armed robbery and rape should be significantly more lenient than the punishment for murder. Otherwise, what incentive do heartless robbers and rapists have to exercise restraint and refrain from killing their victims? If it was up to me, I would impose sentences of up to 5 years for rapists and up to 10 years for armed robbers who didn’t kill anyone. I would reserve the death penalty for people convicted of first degree murder based on very solid evidence.

23 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Lagos High Court Sentences Two Men To Death For Rape, Robbery by joseph1832(m): 9:37am On Jun 12, 2020
Seun:
Armed robbers and rapists should not be sentenced to death unless they killed someone. The punishment for armed robbery and rape should be significantly more lenient than the punishment for murder. Otherwise, what incentive do heartless robbers and rapists have to exercise restraint and refrain from killing their victims? If it was up to me, I would impose sentences of up to 5 years for rapists and up to 10 years for armed robbers who didn’t kill anyone. I would reserve the death penalty for people convicted of first degree murder based on very solid evidence.
oh really. If you've ever found yourself staring at the end of the barrel of a gun, knowing the person at the other end hold your life in his hand, you wouldn't have typed what you typed above.

1 Like

Re: Lagos High Court Sentences Two Men To Death For Rape, Robbery by Davash222(m): 9:38am On Jun 12, 2020
Seun:
I was banned here for saying something like this last week. The MOD banned me for few days.

I'm not saying they should ban you, Sir.
Re: Lagos High Court Sentences Two Men To Death For Rape, Robbery by Nobody: 9:39am On Jun 12, 2020
Take it easy Madam Judge. Judicial mistake may take long to correct.
Re: Lagos High Court Sentences Two Men To Death For Rape, Robbery by Iamtony(m): 9:40am On Jun 12, 2020
Seun:
Armed robbers and rapist are same with kidnappers ,terrorists, and murders all deserve death sentence

Nobody has any right to wield any weapon to violate anyones human rights.

When all this people go out for their wicked operations evil is all that is in their heart, they are all deliberate actions they carry out .
Re: Lagos High Court Sentences Two Men To Death For Rape, Robbery by Rilwayne001: 9:41am On Jun 12, 2020
While terrorists and bandits are getting money and Pat on their back despite their killings up and down the North. This life no balance. LOL.

But Sha if you can't do the time, don't do the crime.

1 Like

Re: Lagos High Court Sentences Two Men To Death For Rape, Robbery by jumobi1(m): 9:41am On Jun 12, 2020
Seun:

Too lenient. Rape is seriously serious. Rapists kill a part of the victim. It’s worse than armed robbery IMO.
Re: Lagos High Court Sentences Two Men To Death For Rape, Robbery by joseph1832(m): 9:41am On Jun 12, 2020
thesicilian:
In my opinion, witness testimony alone, no matter how many witnesses, is never enough to sentence anyone to death.
what then do you propose, life in prison?
Re: Lagos High Court Sentences Two Men To Death For Rape, Robbery by Mightyhaiz: 9:43am On Jun 12, 2020
Seun:
pasn when carry gun go Rob na murderer already.. why give anybody any incentives at all for vices.. plenty will take a chance,..after all las Las 5 years (reckoning with u)
Re: Lagos High Court Sentences Two Men To Death For Rape, Robbery by XXLMANDIGO: 9:44am On Jun 12, 2020
You were not at the trial or judgment. There must have been identification parade done and witnessed by the witnesses , where some other innocent persons are paraded with the victims to pick out the real offenders. Also there must have been other circumstantial evidence, not mentioned in the news to corroborate the testimony of the witnesses.

thesicilian:

1 Like

Re: Lagos High Court Sentences Two Men To Death For Rape, Robbery by Nobody: 9:45am On Jun 12, 2020
Seun:

It is about what works best to challenge the nature and menace of the crime a people face. We all witnessed the brutal rape and murder of a young lady recently. They bashed her head in with a fire extinguisher. Animals like that don't deserve to live.

The proliferation of rape and armed robbery is a serious menace for Nigeria. Committ those offences and lose the right to live. The world may frown but the Chinese know what they want to achieve and why they made corruption punishable by death.
Re: Lagos High Court Sentences Two Men To Death For Rape, Robbery by CodeTemplar: 9:46am On Jun 12, 2020
Seun:
Lol. Same way he/she who bears false witness carry more damnation than the original liar.
Re: Lagos High Court Sentences Two Men To Death For Rape, Robbery by Mightyhaiz: 9:46am On Jun 12, 2020
jumobi1:

Too lenient. Rape is seriously serious. Rapists kill a part of the victim. It’s worse than armed robbery IMO.
no one worse..all 'worst' jor..

u rape pasn finish ,she depress comit suicide.. u Rob pasn of all his belongings ,he depress comit suicide or him family member die due to subsequent hardship.. all no be murder?
Re: Lagos High Court Sentences Two Men To Death For Rape, Robbery by thesicilian: 9:49am On Jun 12, 2020
joseph1832:
what then do you propose, life in prison?
At the extreme, yes, life imprisonment. There have been cases too many to count where key witnesses came forward many years later to say they lied, or were pressure to lie, against a defendant. What happens if the defendant is already dead?
Re: Lagos High Court Sentences Two Men To Death For Rape, Robbery by CodeTemplar: 9:49am On Jun 12, 2020
Oshigun:

It is about what works best to challenge the nature and menace of the crime a people face. We all witnessed the brutal rape and murder of a young lady recently. They bashed her head in with a fire extinguisher. Animals like that don't deserve to live.

The proliferation of rape and armed robbery is a serious menace for Nigeria. Committ those offences and lose the right to live. The world may frown but the Chinese know what they want to achieve and why they made corruption punishable by death.
If you condemn rapist and killers to same punishment, then rapist are more likely to kill their victims in a bid to remain untraced and uncaught. You are being emotional and illogical here if you expect all rapist to die irrespective how the victims end up.
Re: Lagos High Court Sentences Two Men To Death For Rape, Robbery by fkj950ax(m): 9:51am On Jun 12, 2020
Seun:

Robbery and Armed Robbery have a big distinction in law.

The criminal that goes on a crime spree and arms himself or herself has displayed intent to use the arm in the course of the crime. This always leads to bodily arm and or death of the victims.

Rape usually involves the rapist holding a form of weapon to force the victim to submission. If the victim refuses or fight back, the weapon is used to subdue the victim, which shows intent again.
Re: Lagos High Court Sentences Two Men To Death For Rape, Robbery by XXLMANDIGO: 9:58am On Jun 12, 2020
I slightly disagree especially the armed robbery. Once a person is armed he could kill any time depending on his state of mind, not necessarily because the victim didn't cooperate . He could be under the influence of drugs or other substance. There is sanctity of life (maybe not in Nigeria)The society should not place people's life on the indiscretion of criminal elements. Maximum penalty should be considered that to some extent will deter people from this action.

Seun:
Re: Lagos High Court Sentences Two Men To Death For Rape, Robbery by Nobody: 11:20am On Jun 12, 2020
CodeTemplar:
If you condemn rapist and killers to same punishment, then rapist are more likely to kill their victims in a bid to remain untraced and uncaught. You are being emotional and illogical here if you expect all rapist to die irrespective how the victims end up.

I could say the same of you because the punishment and deterrent related to a crime has to match the peculiarity of the society in question.

Nigeria, unlike many developed nations, has a lot of unemployed, illiterate, violent, restive and criminal minded young people and adults. To send the signal to them that armed robbery and rape gets lenient sentences is totally wrong.

It is the kid gloves bandits in the North have been treated with that is now encouraging their savage killing spree.

In the first coming of Buhari, he quelled and decimated the Maitatsine uprising by matching fire for fire. Brutality for brutality.

Today's kid gloves approach is failing Nigeria horribly and I am fed up of seeing innocent children hacked to death brutally by unreformable savages been encouraged to be more daring because of government soft-pedalling.

Awawa boy and One million gang tried it during lockdown. Lagosians lynched a couple brutally and their noise disappeared quickly because they were petrified. Scared of death and the brutal lynching they had seen dished out to their 'comrades'. Any other approach would have seen us Lagosians in trouble with Lagos quickly descending into chaos when criminals become more daring due to no deterrent.

Too many Nigerians than is good are lawless. If you dont move against certain crimes when they begin trending then you encourage many potential criminals to become hardened and merciless killers. This is not the UK or Belgium. Local problems, local solutions.
Re: Lagos High Court Sentences Two Men To Death For Rape, Robbery by Ajibade123(m): 1:05pm On Jun 12, 2020
Seun:
5 years for rapist you say?? Rape is an attempted murder you know
Re: Lagos High Court Sentences Two Men To Death For Rape, Robbery by folarr(m): 2:35pm On Jun 12, 2020
Seun:
Seun, I want to ask you something, is there any way we can talk privately?
Re: Lagos High Court Sentences Two Men To Death For Rape, Robbery by Nnamz(m): 1:43am On Jun 14, 2020
Seun:
5 years for rape? Are you mad Are you okay? Do you have sisters? Do you have female cousins or just relatives in general that are females? If you have a sister, blood sister oh, I hope she never gets raped.

I am not saying rapists should get the death sentence but haba 5 years? At least 20 years for rapists. In fact, rapists should get more time than robbers because in most cases it is poverty that drives one to commit robbery so let's blame the worthless country for their actions (give first time offenders for robbery maybe 3 years; 5 highest) but rapists, they have no excuse for such despicable heinous crime so I say 20 years or more.
Re: Lagos High Court Sentences Two Men To Death For Rape, Robbery by Lampy336: 3:22am On Jun 14, 2020
Your head is there you make sense ajeh..

1 Like

Re: Lagos High Court Sentences Two Men To Death For Rape, Robbery by Mayng01(m): 12:06pm On Jun 14, 2020
Before opening the tread, I know say na woman the judge go be.

(1) (Reply)

Ethiopian Migrant Raped And Killed By Her Ghanaian Employee Over An Unpaidsalary / Anambra Harlot Fights Customer For Paying Her With Torn Old Naira Note / Black SA Player Accused of Calling England Opponent "White C**t" at Rugby WC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.