Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,611 members, 7,809,235 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:18 AM

Where Do I Pay The Bride Price, I Really Need Advice. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Where Do I Pay The Bride Price, I Really Need Advice. (1958 Views)

Is It Compulsory For The Man To Pay The Bills??? / Bayo Adedeji, Wakanow CEO: I Pay My Chef N100k But Caught Him Stealing From Me / Bride Price Collection Is Big Business In Some Parts Of Nigeria (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Where Do I Pay The Bride Price, I Really Need Advice. by wizboi26(m): 1:19pm On Jun 12, 2020
There is this family I want to marry into, but the Father of the girl did not pay the bride price of the mum, and she bore seven children for the man. The man left the woman and the children to base in another state, without caring about the welfare of the wife and children. Now I want to marry the first daughter in the family, it is becoming complected, because the family of the woman are saying that the children does not belong to the man, because he has not paid for the wife's bride price, that they own the children. And the woman is now saying that even if the Man is ready to come and pay her bride price, that she wouldn't accept it. My question now is that, is it right to go on the do the necessary things in her maternal home ?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Where Do I Pay The Bride Price, I Really Need Advice. by Davash222(m): 1:23pm On Jun 12, 2020
inforesource:
Must you marry there? Marriage has not started you are already having issues.
There's no issue there. As long as the man didn't pay the mother's bride price, he's not the father of the girl.

2 Likes

Re: Where Do I Pay The Bride Price, I Really Need Advice. by inforesource: 1:23pm On Jun 12, 2020

1 Like

Re: Where Do I Pay The Bride Price, I Really Need Advice. by Nobody: 1:29pm On Jun 12, 2020
wizboi26:
There is this family I want to marry into, but the Father of the girl did not pay the bride price of the mum, and she bore seven children for the man. The man left the woman and the children to base in another state, without caring about the welfare of the wife and children. Now I want to marry the first daughter in the family, it is becoming complected, because the family of the woman are saying that the children does not belong to the man, because he has not paid for the wife's bride price, that they own the children. And the woman is now saying that even if the Man is ready to come and pay her bride price, that she wouldn't accept it. My question now is that, is it right to go on the do the necessary things in her maternal home ?
Whatever the case may be the father should be given the bride price even though he might have been useless to her and her mum.Do the right thing now to avoid troubles in view
Re: Where Do I Pay The Bride Price, I Really Need Advice. by inforesource: 1:30pm On Jun 12, 2020
Davash222:

There's no issue there. As long as the man didn't pay the mother's bride price, he's not the father of the girl.
Let him enter we will know if there is any issue.
Re: Where Do I Pay The Bride Price, I Really Need Advice. by Ningen(m): 1:30pm On Jun 12, 2020
Her dad and her paternal side are non-existent.
Do with what is available. It's OK.

Please go ahead. undecided

1 Like

Re: Where Do I Pay The Bride Price, I Really Need Advice. by wizboi26(m): 1:30pm On Jun 12, 2020
Davash222:

what if the Man is ready to do the necessary things. But the woman don't want?
Re: Where Do I Pay The Bride Price, I Really Need Advice. by wizboi26(m): 1:32pm On Jun 12, 2020
Rozz:
Whatever the case may be the father should be given the bride price even though he might have been useless to her and her mum.Do the right thing now to avoid troubles in view
that's what my parents are saying. That there may be problems in future

1 Like

Re: Where Do I Pay The Bride Price, I Really Need Advice. by Davash222(m): 1:34pm On Jun 12, 2020
wizboi26:
After 7 children and one of the children is about getting married? That's gold-digging.

3 Likes

Re: Where Do I Pay The Bride Price, I Really Need Advice. by Nobody: 1:37pm On Jun 12, 2020
wizboi26:
There maybe problems in future only if you pay the bride price to the wrong person,do the right thing now and save yourself from any future problems.Thats the only advantage some of these careless fathers have.Its painful sha
Re: Where Do I Pay The Bride Price, I Really Need Advice. by ZIMDRILL(m): 1:41pm On Jun 12, 2020
wizboi26:

well the father's story of not paying has nothing to do with you, dont be used to settle people's problem

You must do right to both the father's side and the mother's side

1 Like

Re: Where Do I Pay The Bride Price, I Really Need Advice. by Oluromantic: 1:51pm On Jun 12, 2020
It means you'll pay double. Give her dad some money and persuade him to do the right thing first then u can pay your own too. As for the old woman in d village who said she won't take the bride price, she will when real money shows up, ppl in d village will persuade her to accept it.
Re: Where Do I Pay The Bride Price, I Really Need Advice. by wizboi26(m): 1:53pm On Jun 12, 2020
ZIMDRILL:

well the father's story of not paying has nothing to do with you, dont be used to settle people's problem

You must do right to both the father's side and the mother's side
don't really understand,how so I have to do right to both parents side. Am I to pay the bride price to both the Father's and the mother's family?
Re: Where Do I Pay The Bride Price, I Really Need Advice. by Nobody: 2:11pm On Jun 12, 2020
This one nah problem oooo grin grin Ehn pay the bride price to the maternal side nah. Abi what if the Man is dead or a one night stand solider with no trace. You can't destroy a child's happiness because the parents no wan get sense nah.

If I'm to be in your shoes, I will scrap everything go marry in court. When them ready, them go come take them bride price. grin

2 Likes

Re: Where Do I Pay The Bride Price, I Really Need Advice. by infogenerator(m): 2:41pm On Jun 12, 2020
Op your story seem legit, so I'll give you a piece of my experience on this.

Everyone asking you to look well before you leap are actually correct and I personally advice you listen to them.

My cousin married a particular girl from Beyelsa about 8 years ago, we travelled from Lagos to Beyelsa for the wedding. Both parents of the bride had the same exact issue....after paying the bride price to the girl's father, we were mandated to go back and pay another exact pride price to the girl's mother and her family, because according to them we haven't paid the bride price yet...it took us 3 days to do all these in Beyelsa state, crossing rivers to their villages and all. He actually did two traditional ceremony.

They are married today and far from being happy. No kids yet to show for it even when they are both medically certified to be ok....

So please don't intentionally put yourself in a tight corner ....

Here is what you do, let them know you're interested in their daughter, but you don't want a marriage that is divided from the get go, so they should fix their differences and let you pay her bride price as customs demands once and for all.

I have seen where two bitterly separated parents come together for just that day, so their kids can get married, if they can't do that for their own daughter's happiness, marriage and future, then candidly I'll tell you to run away from such a family

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Where Do I Pay The Bride Price, I Really Need Advice. by EDGEof2MORO: 3:13pm On Jun 12, 2020
inforesource:

Help me ask o
Re: Where Do I Pay The Bride Price, I Really Need Advice. by ZIMDRILL(m): 3:53pm On Jun 12, 2020
wizboi26:
don't really understand,how so I have to do right to both parents side. Am I to pay the bride price to both the Father's and the mother's family?

In general when you pay bride price, the mum get few things that are spefic for her and same applies to the father
Re: Where Do I Pay The Bride Price, I Really Need Advice. by SmileDance(f): 4:04pm On Jun 12, 2020
Am I the only one who thinks this bride price of a thing is slavery? Pay money in exchange for a human being?

5 Likes

Re: Where Do I Pay The Bride Price, I Really Need Advice. by Bola146(f): 4:47pm On Jun 12, 2020
Just be very sure that you can cope with all these wahala... Ask your wife to verify and find out what you can do
Re: Where Do I Pay The Bride Price, I Really Need Advice. by Acidosis(m): 5:00pm On Jun 12, 2020
It's not your business whether your wife's mother had 35 children for a man that failed to pay her bride price.

The first mistake you made was involving yourself with their family issues. Tell them you're paying the bride price to the father of the bride according to tradition. If they're unwilling to let peace reign by allowing you do the right thing, simply walk away.
Re: Where Do I Pay The Bride Price, I Really Need Advice. by wizboi26(m): 5:35pm On Jun 12, 2020
infogenerator:
Op your story seem legit, so I'll give you a piece of my experience on this.

Everyone asking you to look well before you leap are actually correct and I personally advice you listen to them.

My cousin married a particular girl from Beyelsa about 8 years ago, we travelled from Lagos to Beyelsa for the wedding. Both parents of the bride had the same exact issue....after paying the bride price to the girl's father, we were mandated to go back and pay another exact pride price to the girl's mother and her family, because according to them we haven't paid the bride price yet...it took us 3 days to do all these in Beyelsa state, crossing rivers to their villages and all. He actually did two traditional ceremony.

They are married today and far from being happy. No kids yet to show for it even when they are both medically certified to be ok....

So please don't intentionally put yourself in a tight corner ....

Here is what you do, let them know you're interested in their daughter, but you don't want a marriage that is divided from the get go, so they should fix their differences and let you pay her bride price as customs demands once and for all.

I have seen where two bitterly separated parents come together for just that day, so their kids can get married, if they can't do that for their own daughter's happiness, marriage and future, then candidly I'll tell you to run away from such a family
. Thanks a lot, this is exactly what am scared of. There is no way I can pay a my in-laws bride price. There can still be some spiritual implications, if I get to do it the wrong way. In Africa tradition is tradition.

1 Like

Re: Where Do I Pay The Bride Price, I Really Need Advice. by lilyheaven: 5:39pm On Jun 12, 2020
Please send your uncles to go and dig up their culture. You didn't state the name of the place, so I won't be able to give you the correct answer.
Each tribe have their tradition.
Re: Where Do I Pay The Bride Price, I Really Need Advice. by infogenerator(m): 5:44pm On Jun 12, 2020
wizboi26:
. Thanks a lot, this is exactly what am scared of. There is no way I can pay a my in-laws bride price. There can still be some spiritual implications, if I get to do it the wrong way. In Africa tradition is tradition.

My friend, you're right about African cultures, respect them and they will respect you.

This is your first chance of letting your woman, her family and your family inclusive know you're ready for marriage and that you're gonna be the man in your home.

Don't make any mistake at this early stage. They can unite and come together for the sake of this marriage, it is possible and I have seen it happen.

Aurevoir Mon Ami.
Re: Where Do I Pay The Bride Price, I Really Need Advice. by Pavore9: 6:27pm On Jun 12, 2020
Had 1, 2,3.......7 children without bride price paid, some men get mind o and topping it up.with deadbeat! shocked

In some communities in igboland, those children belong to their maternal side as their biological father and his kinsmen felt it not necessary to follow the traditions of marital rites.

4 Likes

Re: Where Do I Pay The Bride Price, I Really Need Advice. by wizboi26(m): 6:29pm On Jun 12, 2020
infogenerator:

My friend, you're right about African cultures, respect them and they will respect you.

This is your first chance of letting your woman, her family and your family inclusive know you're ready for marriage and that you're gonna be the man in your home.

Don't make any mistake at this early stage. They can unite and come together for the sake of this marriage, it is possible and I have seen it happen.

Aurevoir Mon Ami.
Thanks bro, we actually know that in Africa the child belongs to the man no matter what. when the time comes, the child must always look for his father
Re: Where Do I Pay The Bride Price, I Really Need Advice. by wizboi26(m): 6:30pm On Jun 12, 2020
lilyheaven:
Please send your uncles to go and dig up their culture. You didn't state the name of the place, so I won't be able to give you the correct answer.
Each tribe have their tradition.
the mum is Benin while the dad is ibibio( akwa ibom)
Re: Where Do I Pay The Bride Price, I Really Need Advice. by Pavore9: 6:34pm On Jun 12, 2020
wizboi26:

Then do research both sides to know what traditions says about the situation.
Re: Where Do I Pay The Bride Price, I Really Need Advice. by infogenerator(m): 6:53pm On Jun 12, 2020
wizboi26:
Thanks bro, we actually know that in Africa the child belongs to the man no matter what. when the time comes, the child must always look for his father

True
Re: Where Do I Pay The Bride Price, I Really Need Advice. by lilyheaven: 7:36pm On Jun 12, 2020
wizboi26:
Let me ask some questions, I will come back and tell you what I found out.
Re: Where Do I Pay The Bride Price, I Really Need Advice. by wizboi26(m): 7:41pm On Jun 12, 2020
lilyheaven:

Let me ask some questions, I will come back and tell you what I found out.
ok thanks bro, I really appreciate.
Re: Where Do I Pay The Bride Price, I Really Need Advice. by Ishilove: 7:41pm On Jun 12, 2020
wizboi26:
As long as he didn't pay the mother's bride price, culturally the children belongs to the woman's family and the bride price goes to them.

As for the mother not accepting the father's bride price, please don't get involved in their family drama. Why is it now that it is time to collect gifts and bride price money that the old man remembers he should have legally married the mama? Abeg, the man wants to reap where he did not sow.

2 Likes

Re: Where Do I Pay The Bride Price, I Really Need Advice. by Mariangeles(f): 7:47pm On Jun 12, 2020
wizboi26:

If you must marry her, the best thing for now would be to marry her in a court and/or a church wedding, you can pay the bride price later, after the family issue is finally settled. No time to waste!

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Mum Has Been Away For 18years. / Baby Uses Joystick As Plaything! / How Do I Avoid Paying My Wife Alimony In The Event Of Divorce?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.