Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,822 members, 7,810,152 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:51 PM

Madam Tinubu Was A Slave Trader; FFK was right! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Madam Tinubu Was A Slave Trader; FFK was right! (335 Views)

I Had A Dream, FFK Was Calling Me To Come & I Kept Shouting" Blood Of Jesus" / FFK: 'Was Nigeria Created For Dangote Or Was Dangote Created For Nigeria?' / Madam Tinubu, The vilest among Women (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Madam Tinubu Was A Slave Trader; FFK was right! by VaselineCrew: 2:08pm On Jun 12, 2020
Fortune soon smiled on Madam Tinubu. Prince Adele won the right to the throne and he became the Oba of Lagos. Also by the time she moved to Lagos, she had expanded her business. She started dealing in arms, ammunition. She established a profitable trade in tobacco and salt. Most importantly she became a slave trader.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pulse.ng/gist/throwbackthursday-madam-efunroye-tinubu-king-maker-business-tycoon-slave-trader/qf0f6r6.amp

Madam Efunroye Tinubu (c. 1810 – 1887), born Efunporoye Osuntinubu[1], was a politically significant figure in Nigerian history because of her role as a powerful female aristocrat and [b]slave trader[/b]in pre-colonial and colonial Nigeria.[2][3][4] She was a major figure in Lagos during the reigns of Obas Adele, Oluwole, Akitoye, and Dosunmu.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Efunroye_Tinubu

Re: Madam Tinubu Was A Slave Trader; FFK was right! by BlowYourMind: 2:15pm On Jun 12, 2020
Ok
Re: Madam Tinubu Was A Slave Trader; FFK was right! by chatinent: 2:18pm On Jun 12, 2020
All polithievesians cannot be trusted. I mean all!
Re: Madam Tinubu Was A Slave Trader; FFK was right! by OK2NVME: 2:22pm On Jun 12, 2020
Madam Tinubu, The vilest among Women

On one occasion, during her final sojourn in Abeokuta, she was alleged to have sold a young boy into slavery and was accused of it. When arraigned before Ogundipe Alatise over the matter, she reportedly explained: 'I have a large house-hold and I must feed them well. I need money to do that, that's why'.
— Oladipo. Yemitan, 'Madame Tinubu: Merchant and King-maker'

Another section of Yemitan's Tinubu biography, referred to as the Amadie-Ojo Affair, captures a slave trading deal gone sour in 1853 (notably after the 1852 Treaty abolishing slavery in Lagos) wherein Madam Tinubu tells another slave trader (Domingo Martinez) that "she would rather drown the slaves [20 in number] than sell them at a discount".

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Hon Friday Osanebi, Former Deputy Speaker Is Suspended / Presidency Statement On The Security Incident In The State House On Thursday / Senator Bayo Osinowo (pepperito) Representing Lagos East Senatorial Is Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.