Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,476 members, 7,819,736 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:00 PM

Does Obaseki Want To Be Like His Grandfather?-Thisday - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Does Obaseki Want To Be Like His Grandfather?-Thisday (2080 Views)

El-Rufai: "This Is Why Buhari Loves Keyamo Like His Son" / Adamu Atiku Abubakar At His Grandfather's Burial In Onitsha (Photo) / Chinomso Prince Egbuchere Finds Biafran Pounds His Grandfather Hid In Ceiling (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Obaseki Want To Be Like His Grandfather?-Thisday by Nobody: 10:47am On Jun 13, 2020
The saddest thing about betrayal is that it never comes from your enemies.
Many people know the story of the British punitive action of 1897 that razed the powerful and prosperous Benin Kingdom to the ground, looted its palace, killed an untold number, and sent Oba Ovonramwen on exile to Calabar, where he finally died.

What many don’t know is the role Agho Ogbeide (later Obaseki) played by helping the British administer Benin in the Oba’s absence.

Agho was a friend and business associate to Oba Ovonramwen from when he was crown prince. When he ascended the throne, Ovonramwen created an influential chieftaincy title for his friend; the Obaseki of Benin. Ovonramwen also married his daughter to Obaseki and gifted him 100 slaves.

But when the British struck and exiled Ovonramwen, Obaseki turned his back on his friend, teamed up with the invaders, and acted as Oba of Benin between 1897 and 1914 as the paramount chief in Benin.

Ovonramwen’s first son took over after his death in 1914 as Eweka II. But the British broke with tradition by appointing Obaseki the Iyase of Benin (Chief Adviser to the Oba). Consequently, a power struggle ensued, with the Iyase overshadowing the Oba.

Fast forward 100+ years and history is repeating itself. When Adams Oshiomhole anointed Agho Obaseki’s grandson, Godwin Obaseki , his successor as Governor of Edo State, he never imagined he would be betrayed by Obaseki in barely three years.

But he was warned! The elders in Benin steeped in history opposed Oshiomhole, fearing he was about to resurrect the ghost of the past, but he insisted on his friend, assuring the palace that what is in the past is the past.

Alas! Oshiomhole has been shocked by the viciousness of Obaseki’s attacks. Anyone he suspects of close to Oshiomole is hounded out of government and made irrelevant.

Indeed, Obaseki is following the path of his grandfather in the despicable act of betrayal. Now, how will Oshiomhole explain to the elders that he unleashed this man on them? Oshiomhole is fighting to maintain some influence in a state he once governed. But is using the full power of his office to it its limit to show Oshiomhole how far he is willing to go. What ever becomes the outcome, those who warned Oshiomhole about Obaseki will be silently saying “we told you so.”

https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2019/12/15/does-obaseki-want-to-be-like-his-grandfather/

2 Likes

Re: Does Obaseki Want To Be Like His Grandfather?-Thisday by Nobody: 10:56am On Jun 13, 2020
This is why I love YaYa Bello, He don’t mess with issues like this, If I were Obaseki, The first thing I will do is decamp to The PDP, Second step: I will call the Housing and order demolitions of the houses that belong to oshomole loyalists , It’s when you have roof on top of your head that you have time for politics , I will put the State in a debt they can’t get out from in the next four years, Assassinations of all Top rank Hooligans and stubborn politicians, In short nothing less than 800 people will have been confirmed dead 24 hours after my suspension have been announced, You don’t be a half devil. You need Bello style sometimes. How dare you take my food from me, Bleep you.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Does Obaseki Want To Be Like His Grandfather?-Thisday by Mysticwebb: 11:03am On Jun 13, 2020
Abeg leave matter, all politicians are betrayals. Didn't Oshomole betray his godfather and even publicly boasted about it? Or is Oshomole's grandfather also a betrayal?
From our political history, it is clear that a successor to a governor always fight to break free from him and become his own boss. Some succeed while some fail. At the end, we will know Obaseki's fate.

5 Likes

Re: Does Obaseki Want To Be Like His Grandfather?-Thisday by Nobody: 11:03am On Jun 13, 2020
Who did obaseki betray? Certainly not the people. So if he pack Edo money and give it to OSHIOMOLE, then he wouldn't be a betrayer abi?

Black man with black sense.

11 Likes

Re: Does Obaseki Want To Be Like His Grandfather?-Thisday by festacman(m): 11:04am On Jun 13, 2020

6 Likes

Re: Does Obaseki Want To Be Like His Grandfather?-Thisday by LibertyRep: 11:08am On Jun 13, 2020
They had to to dig history again.

There goes the saying: If you don't want them recite the history of your ancestors for you, don't join politics.
Re: Does Obaseki Want To Be Like His Grandfather?-Thisday by HornyTave: 11:11am On Jun 13, 2020
You should learn your history again

Obaseki actually betrayed the Oba that led to the downfall of Benin empire. the British wanted to crown him Oba but feared a new rebellion from the populace who regard The Oba as God and his line can not be broken. It took great love and struggle on the part of Oshomole to make Obaseki acceptable to the Oba and binis.
Re: Does Obaseki Want To Be Like His Grandfather?-Thisday by Captainrambo2: 11:12am On Jun 13, 2020
This day paper is very stupid undecided
Re: Does Obaseki Want To Be Like His Grandfather?-Thisday by Mraphel: 11:17am On Jun 13, 2020
Too much pride finish obaseki and some Bini people

Nor be them claimed Oduduwa is from Benin?And wants to make themselves bigger than Ooni of ife and Alaafin?

2 Likes

Re: Does Obaseki Want To Be Like His Grandfather?-Thisday by SpecialAdviser(m): 11:25am On Jun 13, 2020
Mraphel:
Na pride finish obaseki and Bini people

Nor be the claimed Oduduwa is from Benin?And wants to make themselves bigger than Ooni of ife and Alaafin

Politics in Nigeria is the more you look, the less you see. I am always appalled by you guys statement that politicians should be humble to their benefactors. Nobody talking for the interest of the people. Were governors elected to satisfy their god fathers? Is it not the people?

This is same reason Nigeria has been this backward. And to understand the u guys support such nonsense is a big SHAME.
I feel more dissapointed when I see educated people even towing this line. Such a big SHAME. I am not a Bini guy and do not really care who wins the election. But with you guys attitude, Nigeria is heading to a DOOM.

4 Likes

Re: Does Obaseki Want To Be Like His Grandfather?-Thisday by LabDNA: 11:54am On Jun 13, 2020
myboy2111:
The saddest thing about betrayal is that it never comes from your enemies.
Many people know the story of the British punitive action of 1897 that razed the powerful and prosperous Benin Kingdom to the ground, looted its palace, killed an untold number, and sent Oba Ovonramwen on exile to Calabar, where he finally died.

What many don’t know is the role Agho Ogbeide (later Obaseki) played by helping the British administer Benin in the Oba’s absence.

Agho was a friend and business associate to Oba Ovonramwen from when he was crown prince. When he ascended the throne, Ovonramwen created an influential chieftaincy title for his friend; the Obaseki of Benin. Ovonramwen also married his daughter to Obaseki and gifted him 100 slaves.

But when the British struck and exiled Ovonramwen, Obaseki turned his back on his friend, teamed up with the invaders, and acted as Oba of Benin between 1897 and 1914 as the paramount chief in Benin.

Ovonramwen’s first son took over after his death in 1914 as Eweka II. But the British broke with tradition by appointing Obaseki the Iyase of Benin (Chief Adviser to the Oba). Consequently, a power struggle ensued, with the Iyase overshadowing the Oba.

Fast forward 100+ years and history is repeating itself. When Adams Oshiomhole anointed Agho Obaseki’s grandson, Godwin Obaseki , his successor as Governor of Edo State, he never imagined he would be betrayed by Obaseki in barely three years.

But he was warned! The elders in Benin steeped in history opposed Oshiomhole, fearing he was about to resurrect the ghost of the past, but he insisted on his friend, assuring the palace that what is in the past is the past.

Alas! Oshiomhole has been shocked by the viciousness of Obaseki’s attacks. Anyone he suspects of close to Oshiomole is hounded out of government and made irrelevant.

Indeed, Obaseki is following the path of his grandfather in the despicable act of betrayal. Now, how will Oshiomhole explain to the elders that he unleashed this man on them? Oshiomhole is fighting to maintain some influence in a state he once governed. But is using the full power of his office to it its limit to show Oshiomhole how far he is willing to go. What ever becomes the outcome, those who warned Oshiomhole about Obaseki will be silently saying “we told you so.”

https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2019/12/15/does-obaseki-want-to-be-like-his-grandfather/

This story came up before Obaseki first tenure. You APC zombies claimed it was propaganda.

Now you APC monkeys are the one pushing the same propaganda.

Oga go and sleep, whatever made Edo people vote him in his first tenure will ensure they vote him second time, regardless of party affiliation.

3 Likes

Re: Does Obaseki Want To Be Like His Grandfather?-Thisday by PIMPAR: 11:55am On Jun 13, 2020
Is in the blood betrayal. But he ought to have retraced his steps, few months ago when IPOB started showing support for him

1 Like

Re: Does Obaseki Want To Be Like His Grandfather?-Thisday by Racoon(m): 11:58am On Jun 13, 2020
The reward for treachery or betrayal is more dose of same.Politics is a dirty game.
Re: Does Obaseki Want To Be Like His Grandfather?-Thisday by PIMPAR: 11:59am On Jun 13, 2020
Captainrambo2:
This day paper is very stupid undecided
You don't want the truth?
Re: Does Obaseki Want To Be Like His Grandfather?-Thisday by GIdiata(m): 11:59am On Jun 13, 2020
Wafritalkblogg:
This is why I love YaYa Bello, He don’t mess with issues like this, If I were Obaseki, The first thing I will do is decamp to The PDP, Second step: I will call the Housing and order demolitions of the houses that belong to oshomole loyalists , It’s when you have roof on top of your head that you have time for politics , I will put the State in a debt they can’t get out from in the next four years, Assassinations of all Top rank Hooligans and stubborn politicians, In short nothing less than 800 people will have been confirmed dead 24 hours after my suspension have been announced, You don’t be a half devil. You need Bello style sometimes. How dare you take my food from me, Bleep you.

and how many did Bello kill?
u think say na so e easy abi?
Re: Does Obaseki Want To Be Like His Grandfather?-Thisday by Nobody: 12:00pm On Jun 13, 2020
LabDNA:

This story came up before Obaseki first tenure. You APC zombies claimed it was propaganda.

Oga go and sleep, whatever made Edo peopls vote him in his first tenure will ensure they vote him second time, regardless of party affiliation.

Some of you just read the headline
Re: Does Obaseki Want To Be Like His Grandfather?-Thisday by hollah123: 12:09pm On Jun 13, 2020
Wafritalkblogg:
I just want to take this as a joke n believe u are still a kid.
Mummy is calling u to return her phone boy

In your free time,go n read about Charles Taylor, Idi Amin Dada,gbagbo Laurent n see life from a different perspective.

Don't forget to read 48 laws of power too n never miss some laws like

*Don't bite the fingers that fed u
*Don't try to outsmart d master, obaseki not only outsmart d system that brought him but humiliated those who worked for him forgetting that he will need them.

1 Like

Re: Does Obaseki Want To Be Like His Grandfather?-Thisday by hollah123: 12:11pm On Jun 13, 2020
LabDNA:

Oga go and sleep, whatever made Edo peopls vote him in his first tenure will ensure they vote him second time, regardless of party affiliation.
thank God u didn't mention ewedu this time around

1 Like

Re: Does Obaseki Want To Be Like His Grandfather?-Thisday by realstars: 12:14pm On Jun 13, 2020
We Will See The End Of This Battle,
Re: Does Obaseki Want To Be Like His Grandfather?-Thisday by LabDNA: 12:16pm On Jun 13, 2020
hollah123:
thank God u didn't mention ewedu this time around

Edo people no dey chop ewedu.

1 Like

Re: Does Obaseki Want To Be Like His Grandfather?-Thisday by Nobody: 12:17pm On Jun 13, 2020
hollah123:
I just want to take this as a joke n believe u are still a kid.
Mummy is calling u to return her phone boy

In your free time,go n read about Charles Taylor, Idi Amin Dada,gbagbo Laurent n see life from a different perspective.

Don't forget to read 48 laws of power too n never miss some laws like

*Don't bite the fingers that fed u
*Don't try to outsmart d master, obaseki not only outsmart d system that brought him but humiliated those who worked for him forgetting that he will need them.
Lol if you have your MSC then Quote me and I will give you a mail where you can submit your cv for a better living, I will give you a job that will put you on the same level with your role model. Not everyone is miserable like you , I know 2 House or reps men that re Nairalanders
Re: Does Obaseki Want To Be Like His Grandfather?-Thisday by hollah123: 12:22pm On Jun 13, 2020
Wafritalkblogg:

Lol if you have your masters, Quote me and I will give you a mail where you can submit your cv too, I will give you a job that will put you on the same level with your role model.
u want me to believe u are made but guy it's obvious u are dumb, irrespective of what u are what u typed gave u up as a big baby n someone with d brain of a toddler.

Well behind d keypad every one is a billionaire so I am not surprised,many people come here to flaunt their imagined lifestyle so I don't care.

Next time don't let your fingers b faster than your brain,think about d implications of what u are dropping n how people will view u after dropping it

#nairaland Dangote weh-done sir
Re: Does Obaseki Want To Be Like His Grandfather?-Thisday by Nobody: 12:24pm On Jun 13, 2020
hollah123:
u want me to believe u are made but guy it's obvious u are dumb, irrespective of what u are what u typed gave u up as a big baby n someone with d brain of a toddler.

Well behind d keypad every one is a billionaire so I am not surprised,many people come here to flaunt their imagined lifestyle so I don't care.

Next time don't let your fingers b faster than your brain,think about d implications of what u are dropping n how people will view u after dropping it

#nairaland Dangote weh-done sir
Lol I never claim to be rich but come boy let upgrade your statues-quo. You can’t quote people without abusing them, You will learn the hard way, Drop your mail let give you a job born fool and it’s obvious you re not close to Politicians to know how heartless they can be, if you do you will know everything I put up there is possible.
Re: Does Obaseki Want To Be Like His Grandfather?-Thisday by hollah123: 12:27pm On Jun 13, 2020
Wafritalkblogg:

Lol I never claim to be rich but come boy let upgrade your statues-quo
a Dumbo upgrading my status.....abeg hold your side cos no time now u will get angry n d next thing u will think of is to kill 800 people.

U need to b checked into a psychiatric hospital bro....no Homo

it is people like u that will get angry n enter d supermarket with gun to kill everyone.....sorry bro I know u will b fine
Re: Does Obaseki Want To Be Like His Grandfather?-Thisday by Mightyhaiz: 12:28pm On Jun 13, 2020
Betrayal to oshomole and his band of thugs or betrayal to the Edo populace..

Because Edo's love obaseki..

This writer must be a hustler... Manabq grade hustler
Re: Does Obaseki Want To Be Like His Grandfather?-Thisday by Nobody: 12:31pm On Jun 13, 2020
hollah123:
a Dumbo upgrading my status.....abeg hold your side cos no time now u will get angry n d next thing u will think of is to kill 800 people.

it is people like u that will get angry n enter d supermarket with gun to kill everyone.....sorry bro I know u will b fine
Well if you re ashamed of dropping your mail for a better job I will advice you to go to your street councilor and learn from he or she on how heartless politicians can be. Small boy go take a rest , Money is necessary, Anyone that tries to block you is not meant to be.
Re: Does Obaseki Want To Be Like His Grandfather?-Thisday by Chikpat(m): 12:36pm On Jun 13, 2020
Its unfortunate Oshiomhole appears to be winning. I wish Obaseki the best of luck in an alternative party. I hope he wins. He deserves to win! Why not?
I also wish Tinubu the best of luck in his 2023 presidential ambition. In Edo 2020, that ambition died. Let's see if Ondo will bury it or resuscitate it
Re: Does Obaseki Want To Be Like His Grandfather?-Thisday by seanfer(m): 12:36pm On Jun 13, 2020
Mysticwebb:
Abeg leave matter, all politicians are betrayals.[b]Didn't Oshomole betray his godfather and even publicly boasted about it?[/b]Or is Oshomole's grandfather also a betrayal?
From our political history, it is clear that a successor to a governor always fight to break free from him and become his own boss. Some succeed while some fail. At the end, we will know Obaseki's fate.

At the bolded. Who is Oshiomhole’s Godfather in Edo.
Re: Does Obaseki Want To Be Like His Grandfather?-Thisday by Nobody: 12:37pm On Jun 13, 2020
hollah123:

1 Share

Re: Does Obaseki Want To Be Like His Grandfather?-Thisday by seunmsg(m): 12:38pm On Jun 13, 2020
Wafritalkblogg:

And you think you can do all these and get away with it? You think Obaseki would be Governor forever?
Re: Does Obaseki Want To Be Like His Grandfather?-Thisday by hollah123: 12:38pm On Jun 13, 2020
Wafritalkblogg:

Well if you re ashamed of dropping your mail for a better job I will advice you to go to your street councilor and learn from he or she on how heartless politicians can be. Small boy go take a rest , Money is necessary, Anyone that tries to block you is not meant to be.
so I believe that justifies killing 800 people by u?u want power but u don't care about those u want to govern, are u any different from d people u are castigating?

I wish we could see face to face I would have taken some time out to enlighten u about governance, politics n loyalty.

No start wetin u no go fit finish, anything is fair in war. obaseki threw stone believing he will finish his boss but Oshiomhole threw grenade
Re: Does Obaseki Want To Be Like His Grandfather?-Thisday by hollah123: 12:41pm On Jun 13, 2020
seunmsg:

And you think you can do all these and get away with it? You think Obaseki would be Governor forever?
don't mind that boy,killing 800 people just like that

(1) (2) (Reply)

BREAKING: Nnamdi Kanu To Send ‘biafra Soldiers’ To Benue / My Tomatoes Are Rotten Due To The Sit-at-home- Alhaji Yusuf, Begs Fg To Release / 2023: I Won’t Turn Down Your Calls, Tinubu Assures Nigerians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.