Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,660 members, 7,823,872 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:02 PM

Why Nigeria’s Northcentral States Can’t Be Renamed “Middle Belt” - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Nigeria’s Northcentral States Can’t Be Renamed “Middle Belt” (1548 Views)

24 States Can’t Pay Salaries Without FG Allocation / 2023: Voting Analysis of Northcentral States With The Federal Capital Territory / Pictures As PDP Leaders Storm Ilorin For Northcentral Rally (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Nigeria’s Northcentral States Can’t Be Renamed “Middle Belt” by Racoon(m): 10:57am On Jun 13, 2020
By Farooq A. Kperogi, Ph.D.

A member of the House of Representatives from Benue State by the name of Kpam Sokpo was reported to have sponsored a bill this week titled "Geo-political Zones of the Federation Bill 2020,” which proposes that the North-Central states of Benue, Kogi, Kwara, Nasarawa, Niger, Plateau, and the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja, should be renamed the “Middle Belt Zone.”

This isn’t the first time this proposal has been made, but it’s probably the first time it has been formally presented as a bill. As someone who did extensive reporting on the contemporary manifestations and history of the Middle Belt identity in the early 2000s when I was a reporter, I think Sokpo’s bill has no chance of passing. Here’s why.

Middle Belt Youth from Zuru, Kebbi State. Credit: Middle Belt Republic Facebook Group.First, the term “Middle Belt” belongs in the category of what I once called cartographic genteelisms in a June 25, 2017 column titled “Geographic Genteelisms: How We Use Geography to Hide Our Prejudice.”

I defined cartographic or geographic genteelisms as euphemistic labels we have invented to cover our prejudices or to help us make willfully opaque references to ethnic, racial, or religious identities.

Middle Belt isn’t a merely geographic concept.It’s actually more religio-cultural than it is geographic.That is why several prominent advocates for the Middle Belt are from states other than what is now known as the North-Central zone.

For instance, the late Dr. Bala Takaya, with whom I related robustly in Jos in the early 2000s, was from Adamawa State but was one of the intellectual powerhouses of Middle Belt politics and identity. Dan Suleiman, a onetime chairman of the Middle Belt Forum, is also from Adamawa State.

So, in spite of appearances to the contrary, Middle Belters aren’t merely Nigerians who are caught in the mid-region of the country. Shorn of all pretenses, Middle Belt refers to Northern Nigerian Christians who are not ethnically Hausa. It excludes non-Hausa northern Muslims and Hausa Muslims in Nigeria’s central states.

It also excludes Hausa Christians, although they are more welcome to this identity marker than Hausa Muslims are. That’s why a non-Hausa Christian from southern Borno, or from southern Kebbi, which is as far north as you can get, is considered a “Middle Belter,” but Hausa Muslims like Abdulsalami Abubakar or Ibrahim Babangida from Niger State aren’t.

The Middle Belt, in other words, has historically referred to Christian ethnic minorities in all the six north-central states, the northeastern states of Bauchi, Gombe, Borno, Yobe, Adamawa, and Taraba, and the northwestern states of Kaduna and Kebbi.

Middle Belt intellectuals customarily talk of the “geographical Middle Belt” and the “cultural Middle Belt.” The cultural Middle Belt is indifferent to land borders. As I pointed out in my 2017 article, this is merely a tediously roundabout way to say a Middle Belter is a Christian (or at least a non-Muslim), non-Hausa person whom colonial cartography had labelled a “northerner.”

Andrew Barnes, a professor of history at Arizona State University, made this point eloquently in his 2007 academic article titled “The Middle Belt Movement and the Formation of Christian Consciousness in Colonial Northern Nigeria” published in the Church History journal.

He pointed out that when what is now known as the Middle Belt Movement was formed in 1949, it was initially called the “Non-Muslim League,” which he said was a “reflection of the shared perception on the part of the participants that what they had in common was a desire to be free of the Muslim political control that was to be implemented throughout the northern region as a prelude to decolonization.”

I know it’s easy for northern Muslims in the northcentral states to feel alienated by this history—and for Muslims in the northwest and the northeast to smell an anti-Muslim conspiracy. But that’s both simplistic and insensitive.

Religion is northern Nigeria’s dominant contradiction. Identities are defined by it and excluded on the basis of it. It is inevitable that when people are shut out because of their religious identity, they will unite and organize on the basis of the reason for their exclusion.

I recall a conversation I had with a Fulani Christian from Kano by the name of Bulus Karaye in the early 1990s about the systematic exclusion of northern Christians in politics and quotidian life in even their home states. He told me although I was a non-Hausa person from Kwara State, I stood a better chance to be governor of Kano than he who was native to the state.

He was right. In 1992, a Muslim, culturally Hausa man with an Igbo father and a Hausa mother almost became the governor of Kano State. From 2007 to 2011, Ibrahim Shekarau, who is ethnically Babur from southern Borno, became governor of Kano State. Interestingly, Christians from Southern Borno historically regard themselves as belonging to the “Middle Belt.”

In other words, the assertion of a Middle Belt identity is legitimate and justified because it is a response to the overt exclusion of Christian ethnic minorities in the North because of their religious identity. The late Bala Takaya introduced me to what Middle Belt intellectuals call the concentric circle of power and influence in Northern Nigeria.

There are different variations of the concentric circle, but the one I remember has Hausa and Fulani Muslims at the core of the circle and non-Hausa Christian northerners at the outer edges of the circle. All other northern identity categories fit somewhere in-between.

Like white people who deny the existence of white privilege, many in the far north had dismissed the accuracy of the concentric circle of power and privilege in the region. However, since at least the year 2000, in response to President Obasanjo’s apparent preferential treatment of non-Hausa, non-Muslim Northerners in political appointments between 1999 and 2007, many people in the subregion have now embraced the label “core north.”

Since the existence of a core necessarily implies the existence of a periphery, the implication is that parts of the North that aren’t “core” are peripheral & insignificant, which basically affirms the accuracy of the concentric circle of power & influence that Middle Belt intellectuals had called attention to many years ago but which Hausa Muslims had dismissed as mistaken.

However, the agitation for a Middle Belt geo-political identity is another attempt to create a new “core” (I’ve also heard the expression “core Middle Belt”!) with its own new periphery.

In other words, just like “core north” is a geographic genteelism for “Hausa Muslim North,” “Middle Belt” is a geographic genteelism for a Christian ethnic minority region out of what colonial cartographers designated as the “North” since the early 1900s.

Kwara, Niger, and most of Kogi states don’t fit this identity. Kwara, for instance, is predominantly Muslim. What is more, central & southern Kwara are linguistically Yoruba, which gives them more cultural affinity with the Southwest than with the North or the “Middle Belt.” Kwara North is peopled by Baatonu, Nupe, and Bokobaru people who share more cultural and religious affinities with people from, say, Sokoto than they do with people from Plateau.They would be lost in a Middle Belt zone.

Everyone knows most of Niger State used to be part of the Sokoto Province. It is culturally indistinguishable from states in the far north. Kogi is a confluence of so many cultural, ethnic, and religious influences and doesn’t fit quite easily in a Middle Belt Zone.

The Ebira in the state are predominantly Muslim. The Okun people are linguistically and culturally closer to Ekiti State than they are to any state in the North or the “Middle Belt,” although the late Bello Ijumu from there was prominent in the Middle Belt movement. The Igala are so spread out that they can be found even in the Southeast and in Edo and Delta States. And so on.

Most importantly, though, Muslims in Kwara, Niger, Kogi, and even Nassarawa states are unlikely to accept being part of a region whose name owes etymological debts to a 1940s movement called the Non-Muslim League.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/tribuneonlineng.com/why-nigerias-north-central-region-cant-be-renamed-middle-belt/amp/

Re: Why Nigeria’s Northcentral States Can’t Be Renamed “Middle Belt” by Caseless: 10:59am On Jun 13, 2020
Farooq, this is a brilliant one.

Those in the south who hate the fact that the north has a common language and somewhat traditionally connected are the ones pushing this divisive agitation because the south lacks that identity. The tip of southern end is SS but such location in the north is called 'core north' depite mostly being on the western and eastern flank.
If your definition of middlebelt is based on religion, you have as many christians in the north as you have in the SE or SS. If it's about excluding muslims, fulani and hausa, then, you have more muslims in the middlebelt aka northcentral than christians and you have indigenous hausa and fulani in every state in the north or middlebelt.
The proponents of middlebelt instead of northcentral want the northern identity taken off, have they forgotten those in Taraba, ADAMAWA, GOMBE, YOBE, BORNO, BAUCHI, KEBBI, etc? Because to them middlebelt is about muslims exclusion and christian inclusion.
Muslims are in the majority in the proposed middlebelt, and won't be part of anything that stands to exclude them. Here the failure of the project begins.

The north is a bloc, the southern dividers should find something to get busy with.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Nigeria’s Northcentral States Can’t Be Renamed “Middle Belt” by opportunes: 10:59am On Jun 13, 2020
I am speechless...this man want to bring division among the middle belters
Re: Why Nigeria’s Northcentral States Can’t Be Renamed “Middle Belt” by MightySparrow: 11:00am On Jun 13, 2020
So far we have Oodua republic, I no send.
Re: Why Nigeria’s Northcentral States Can’t Be Renamed “Middle Belt” by HornyTave: 11:03am On Jun 13, 2020
Call it whatever you like, all we want is security of lives and massive development.
Re: Why Nigeria’s Northcentral States Can’t Be Renamed “Middle Belt” by Racoon(m): 11:13am On Jun 13, 2020
In so much that the North-Central is the appellation known to the Nigerian constitution, the region is not regarded as part of the so called "monolithic north".So whatever, the marriage of 1966 have long been torn apart.
Re: Why Nigeria’s Northcentral States Can’t Be Renamed “Middle Belt” by Davash222(m): 11:13am On Jun 13, 2020
MightySparrow:
So far we have Oodua republic, I no send.
Kwara, Oodua land, is in NORTH central controlled by the Fulani.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria’s Northcentral States Can’t Be Renamed “Middle Belt” by MightySparrow: 11:48am On Jun 13, 2020
Davash222:

When we get to the bridge we will cross it.
Re: Why Nigeria’s Northcentral States Can’t Be Renamed “Middle Belt” by Caseless: 11:53am On Jun 13, 2020
Davash222:

dem don start.
Did he mention your tribe?
Re: Why Nigeria’s Northcentral States Can’t Be Renamed “Middle Belt” by Caseless: 11:55am On Jun 13, 2020
HornyTave:
Call it whatever you like, all we want is security of lives and massive development.
no more, no less.
Re: Why Nigeria’s Northcentral States Can’t Be Renamed “Middle Belt” by Caseless: 12:10pm On Jun 13, 2020
opportunes:
I am speechless...this man want to bring division among the middle belters
what division? The rep member sponsoring this bill should first address the division in his home state of benue due to monopolization of governorship of the state by Tiv to the exclusion of idomas without recourse to zoning arrangement, then we can begin to talk of division.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Nigeria’s Northcentral States Can’t Be Renamed “Middle Belt” by Kyase(m): 12:50pm On Jun 13, 2020
Caseless:
Farooq, this is a brilliant one.

Those in the south who hate the fact that the north has a common language and somewhat traditionally connected are the ones pushing this divisive agitation because the south lacks that identity. The tip of southern end is SS but such location in the north is called 'core north' depite mostly being on the western and eastern flank.
If your definition of middlebelt is based on religion, you have as many christians in the north as you have in the SE or SS. If it's about excluding muslims, fulani and hausa, then, you have more muslims in the middlebelt aka northcentral than christians and you have indigenous hausa and fulani in every state in the north or middlebelt.
The proponents of middlebelt instead of northcentral want the northern identity taken off, have they forgotten those in Taraba, ADAMAWA, GOMBE, YOBE, BORNO, BAUCHI, KEBBI, etc? Because to them middlebelt is about muslims exclusion and christian inclusion.
Muslims are in the majority in the proposed middlebelt, and won't be part of anything that stands to exclude them. Here the failure of the project begins.

The north is a bloc, the southern dividers should find something to get busy with.

You only see them showing concern only when election is approaching or they want to swing ..........
after election they call us all mallams, remembered the first time i traveled to one southern state, when they asked me of my state and I mentioned Benue, the next thing I will is "ooh Hausa"...............

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Nigeria’s Northcentral States Can’t Be Renamed “Middle Belt” by Kyase(m): 1:00pm On Jun 13, 2020
Caseless:
what division? The rep member sponsoring this bill should first address the division in his home state of benue due to monopolization of governorship of the state by Tiv to the exclusion of idomas without recourse to zoning arrangement, then we can begin to talk of division.
oga in democracy no room to complain, its all about the majority.
Re: Why Nigeria’s Northcentral States Can’t Be Renamed “Middle Belt” by Caseless: 1:07pm On Jun 13, 2020
Kyase:

You only see them showing concern only when election is approaching or they want to swing ..........
after election they call us all mallams, remembered the first time i traveled to one southern state, when they asked me of my state and I mentioned Benue, the next thing I will is "ooh Hausa"...............
Their hypocrisy smells to high heaven. How many of those southeastern states would allow a 'middlebeltan' to operate a business or filling station without being given a partner from the host community ? How many people have they employed from MB or are employed in the private or public sector in the south? They hate every northener but show love to northcentral/MB when they want to settle their scores with the north.
The SS and NC/MB are regions of minority tribes and they're my best regions in the country.
Re: Why Nigeria’s Northcentral States Can’t Be Renamed “Middle Belt” by Karlifate: 1:07pm On Jun 13, 2020
No be only middlebelt, na upper trouser.
North-Central has come to stay.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria’s Northcentral States Can’t Be Renamed “Middle Belt” by Caseless: 1:10pm On Jun 13, 2020
Kyase:
oga in democracy no room to complain, its all about the majority.
one'eh, daun jor! Ukpandebe! Msugh...

I'm not aganst majority, i'm only saying we have divisions everywhere.
Re: Why Nigeria’s Northcentral States Can’t Be Renamed “Middle Belt” by Caseless: 1:12pm On Jun 13, 2020
Karlifate:
No be only middlebelt, na upper trouser.
lol!
Re: Why Nigeria’s Northcentral States Can’t Be Renamed “Middle Belt” by helinues: 1:12pm On Jun 13, 2020
Ok
Re: Why Nigeria’s Northcentral States Can’t Be Renamed “Middle Belt” by Kyase(m): 1:18pm On Jun 13, 2020
Caseless:
one'eh, daun jor! Ukpandebe! Msugh...

I'm not aganst majority, i'm only saying we have divisions everywhere.
U ngu nena?
but say it in a way it wont look like its our fault
Re: Why Nigeria’s Northcentral States Can’t Be Renamed “Middle Belt” by strykr: 1:32pm On Jun 13, 2020
Caseless:
Their hypocrisy smells to high heaven. How of those southeastern would allow a 'middlebeltan' to operate a a business or filling station without being given a partner from the host community ? How many people have they employed from MB are employed in the private or public sector in the south? They hate every northener but show love to northcentral/MB when they want to settle their scores with the north.
The SS and NC/MB are regions of minority tribes and they're my best regions in the country.

Are you this obsessed with South easterners/Igbos. The article is talking about Northerners, the national assembly member that raised the bill was a Northerner. Every single person or thing mentioned was about not, yet you still found a way to bring easterners into the discussion. Is this not madness or what do we call it.

Igbo obsession is very real o. Didn't know Igbo love and care is this important to your lives.

4 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria’s Northcentral States Can’t Be Renamed “Middle Belt” by Caseless: 1:45pm On Jun 13, 2020
Kyase:
U ngu nena?
but say it in a way it wont look like its our fault
lol! It's not your fault.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Nigeria’s Northcentral States Can’t Be Renamed “Middle Belt” by Justiceleague1: 1:45pm On Jun 13, 2020
Caseless:
Their hypocrisy smells to high heaven. How of those southeastern would allow a 'middlebeltan' to operate a a business or filling station without being given a partner from the host community ? How many people have they employed from MB are employed in the private or public sector in the south? They hate every northener but show love to northcentral/MB when they want to settle their scores with the north.

Tufiakwa

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria’s Northcentral States Can’t Be Renamed “Middle Belt” by Igboid: 1:49pm On Jun 13, 2020
strykr:

Are you this obsessed with South easterners/Igbos. The article is talking about Northerners, the national assembly member that raised the bill was a Northerner. Every single person or thing mentioned was about not, yet you still found a way to bring easterners into the discussion. Is this not madness or what do we call it.

Igbo obsession is very real o. Didn't know Igbo love and care is this important to your lives.

You are not even getting to the root.
Even the article writer found a way to squeeze Ndiigbo into it.
Ndiigbo can't catch a breath in this country, I swear.

see below :
He was right. In 1992, a Muslim, culturally Hausa man with an Igbo father and a Hausa mother almost became the governor of Kano State. From 2007 to 2011, Ibrahim Shekarau, who is ethnically Babur from southern Borno, became governor of Kano State

An article about Muslim and Christian North and they still found a way to squeeze Ndiigbo into it.
Mad o!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Nigeria’s Northcentral States Can’t Be Renamed “Middle Belt” by musabayokanu: 2:00pm On Jun 13, 2020
I think this is a welcome development and it will enable the region negotiate properly in the scheme of things. How
First, during election the core North call them North and take their votes, after election they read the riot act to them and differentiate the core north from the North.
Secondly, they have made the zone like bat, who is neither flying nor crawling, they didnt really belong anywhere in appointment and infrastructural allocation.

If the zone remain a neutral state, meaning they are either North nor South. Now both the north and south will need them to win hence they will be regarded as the swing state during federal elections. With this they will decide who to give their block vote based on your manifestor and promise to fulfill their gaps, they will give a block vote and get what they want as a zone.

The people saying the name cant fly because part of Adamawa, gombe, etc share in the North central......Ondo in SW, Imo and Abia in SE are still part of Niger Delta Development plan despite not being in the SS states.
This bill if put to vote will sail through because if the entire south and middle belt vote, the north will look it.

But it may not fly why?? Tinubu banking on riding on the back of the north to get to power may kick against it and hence his stooges will shoot it down.

i might be wrong in your view but this is my own opinion.
Re: Why Nigeria’s Northcentral States Can’t Be Renamed “Middle Belt” by Gondonu: 2:06pm On Jun 13, 2020
The north is not heterogeneously structured.Most of the jihad conquests that islamized a greater part of the extreme north could not success in most parts of the middle belt.Hence most populate by minority non-muslims.
Re: Why Nigeria’s Northcentral States Can’t Be Renamed “Middle Belt” by Caseless: 2:22pm On Jun 13, 2020
strykr:

I mentioned 'south' too. Abi na only una dey south? I highlighted east because they don't create space for outsiders or their businesses to thrive in their region. Besides, you are the ones adding northcentral aka MB to your secessionistic agenda. Why won't you be mentioned in a topic related to those you claim to love?

Didn't you see where an igbo man almost became the governor of kano state? Can you allow that in your region?
Rochas was hated and called alhaji and okoroawusa because his mom is from the NC.
Re: Why Nigeria’s Northcentral States Can’t Be Renamed “Middle Belt” by strykr: 2:31pm On Jun 13, 2020
Caseless:
I mentioned 'south' too. Abi na only una dey south? I highlighted east because they don't create space for outsiders or their businesses to thrive in their region. Besides, you are the ones adding northcentral aka MB to your secessionistic agenda. Why won't you be mentioned in a topic related to those you claim to love?

Didn't you see where an igbo man almost became the governor of kano state? Can you allow that in your region?
Rochas was hated and called alhaji and okoroawusa because his mom is from the NC.

Na so. Igbos won't allow other people lead, but Igbos were the first to elect a fulani man as mayor in 1950s( fulani o, not even hausa). Igbos won't allow others buy land or properties yet na the same Igbo people you people say can do anything for money. The same Igboland that outsiders are not allowed is where an hausa man is building gas plant/refinery in Imo state. Keep on being lazy and waiting for Igbos to create space for you. You for tell Igbos to come and buy land for you and marry wife for you. Nonsense. Na Igbo matter go finally kill you.

Igbos don't like Rochas, but na dem vote for him two times. His inlaw still came second in elections after all the atrocities. Since beginning of Nigeria till now, have you ever voted for any Igbo man for anything in this country, even if na ordinary councillor. Even the half-Igbo man talked about in the article didn't win any post at the end, and I'm pretty sure it's because he's Igbo.

The only thing your people know how to do is to kill Igbos and loot their properties. After you come here and start crying that Igbo people are not giving you hugs and kisses every night.

Once again, na Igbo matter go finally kill una.

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria’s Northcentral States Can’t Be Renamed “Middle Belt” by Caseless: 2:42pm On Jun 13, 2020
@Musabayokanu, from your position, you want the NC to stand as a swing bloc? That's to say they should play the second fiddle to the south in an election, same thing you want to emanciate them from in the north.

The regions in the south are standing alone, how has that helped them in negotiating for their regions?
From Joseph Tarka, david mark to Bukola saraki, the NC has produced senate presidents. They have produced heads of state, and occupied every positions of importance.
What are you saying?
Re: Why Nigeria’s Northcentral States Can’t Be Renamed “Middle Belt” by Caseless: 2:57pm On Jun 13, 2020
Gondonu:
The north is not heterogeneously structured.Most of the jihad conquests that islamized a greater part of the extreme north could not success in most parts of the middle belt.Hence most populate by minority non-muslims.
but you have more muslims in the MB than christians.
Which jihad conquest islamized the north? Islam was in the north before anyone came with any conquest.
There are reports of companion of prophet muhammad(s.a.w) coming to the present day borno state. Even when bayajida came he met them reading Quran and practicing islam.
Danfodiyo came with the campaign to separate some cultural practice not in line with the teaching of islam.
Re: Why Nigeria’s Northcentral States Can’t Be Renamed “Middle Belt” by Caseless: 3:00pm On Jun 13, 2020
@strykr, igbos are councillors in sabon gari, kano. No one tries that in your region.
Re: Why Nigeria’s Northcentral States Can’t Be Renamed “Middle Belt” by Supan(m): 3:24pm On Jun 13, 2020
strykr:

The Igbos is the only deterrent to the fulani conquest of Nigeria.

They know it, that is why they are always fighting them.

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria’s Northcentral States Can’t Be Renamed “Middle Belt” by Supan(m): 3:30pm On Jun 13, 2020
Caseless:
@strykr, igbos are councillors in sabon gari, kano. No one tries that in your region.

Stop peddling these lies originated from your mosque.

During the last election, there were many aspirants from kaduna and benue states that contested for councillorship positions in Onitsha, Fegge Area, were Northerners have good numbers.

Go and make your findings. Nobody threatened them.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Nigeria Will Never Let BIAFRA Go. / 5 Things Amaechi Needs To Do To Defeat Atiku Effortlessly. / Oshiomole Explain Why He Dethroned King Of Uromi..video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.