Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,147 members, 7,829,100 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 07:10 PM

Fashola: Economy May Collapse Without Govt Borrowing - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola: Economy May Collapse Without Govt Borrowing (225 Views)

Fayemi: APC May Collapse When Buhari Leaves Office / Okorocha: APC May Collapse After Buhari’s Tenure / Nigeria Economy May Slip Back Into Recession. Yari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fashola: Economy May Collapse Without Govt Borrowing by themomentng: 9:13pm On Jun 13, 2020
The Minister for Works and Housing, Mr Babatunde Fashola, says banks may collapse in Nigeria if the government does not borrow.

He said this in an Instagram Live Chat with City People, monitored by our correspondent on Saturday.

He explained that many people criticised government’s borrowing because of their limited understanding of it.

He said: “Let me say this about borrowing. Many people criticise it because they do not understand. If the government doesn’t borrow, a critical sector of the Nigerian economy may collapse – that is the financial and banking sector. The biggest business as to which banks make money is to lend.

“That is where they get interests to pay customers. It is by that lending that the government and private sector make profit. So, it is critical to employment also.”

However, the minister added that “It is legitimate to hear those who are concerned about borrowing.”

He noted that the projects, which the money borrowed are invested in, were touching lives.

“Since 2015, the infrastructural development of President Buhari is touching more lives than people have acknowledged,” Fashola added.

On how he felt when his ministerial portfolios were reduced to works and housing, the minister replied, “It is like asking me if I missed being governor. I don’t. It is a job and for every job what I bring to the table is to deploy to the fullest all my energies and skills that God has given me. Once I am done, I don’t look back.”

1 Like

Re: Fashola: Economy May Collapse Without Govt Borrowing by SarkinYarki: 9:14pm On Jun 13, 2020
Nonsense the Economy has already collapsed so just say civil service , NASS and politicians will collapse if Nigeria doesn't borrow
Re: Fashola: Economy May Collapse Without Govt Borrowing by crispus09(m): 9:18pm On Jun 13, 2020
make una continue borrowing everywhere, Agba to ro efo ika omo re yio je ni inure.
in brymo mister waka waka. ..........
Re: Fashola: Economy May Collapse Without Govt Borrowing by samincredible44(m): 10:02pm On Jun 13, 2020
so they have finally taught these man how to say rubbish.the economy died the very day buhari got into power
Re: Fashola: Economy May Collapse Without Govt Borrowing by OZAOEKPE(f): 10:03pm On Jun 13, 2020
Fashola is an over hyped goat
Re: Fashola: Economy May Collapse Without Govt Borrowing by slivertongue: 10:06pm On Jun 13, 2020
I use to take fashola serious. his portfolio has exposed competence level. .shameless group of rogues
Re: Fashola: Economy May Collapse Without Govt Borrowing by Mysticwebb: 10:06pm On Jun 13, 2020
That is the only thing that this government knows. Borrow, borrow and keep borrowing. Leaving a lot of debt for their would be successor.
Re: Fashola: Economy May Collapse Without Govt Borrowing by okeyglm: 10:33pm On Jun 13, 2020
The famous , electricity is not a rocket science. I dey greet you

(1) (Reply)

We Were Far More Productive In 1980 Than We Are Today / ‘you Are Mere Irritant, Featherweight’ – Femi Adesina Blast Northern Elders / Lagos Warns Against Drilling Boreholes Without Licence, Permit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.