Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,696 members, 7,809,626 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:09 PM

What Could Be Done As My 2004 Honda CR-V Burns Oil At 255k Miles?. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Could Be Done As My 2004 Honda CR-V Burns Oil At 255k Miles?. (1985 Views)

Help My 2004 Avalon / Dutch Firm Releases 'First Solar Car That Travels 450 Miles On Single Charge' / Neatly Used Honda CR-V For Sale@500k (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Could Be Done As My 2004 Honda CR-V Burns Oil At 255k Miles?. by Martiny(m): 5:01am On Jun 15, 2020
Hi all, professional advice needed as my 6months old tokunbo Honda CR-V 2004 at 255,000 miles burns oil, I notice a black colour on the exhaust too. I discover a regular shortage on the guage even when recently serviced.
Re: What Could Be Done As My 2004 Honda CR-V Burns Oil At 255k Miles?. by tonylaw07(m): 6:46am On Jun 15, 2020
1. What kind of oil are you using.
2. The rings in the engine could be worn out .
Re: What Could Be Done As My 2004 Honda CR-V Burns Oil At 255k Miles?. by Martiny(m): 7:14am On Jun 15, 2020
Visco 2000. I see, will replacing the engine rings be reliable than buying a tokunbo Engine please?
Re: What Could Be Done As My 2004 Honda CR-V Burns Oil At 255k Miles?. by Martiny(m): 7:15am On Jun 15, 2020
Forte (Visco 2000) . I see, will replacing the engine rings be reliable than buying a tokunbo Engine please?
Re: What Could Be Done As My 2004 Honda CR-V Burns Oil At 255k Miles?. by Martiny(m): 7:45am On Jun 15, 2020
[quote author=tonylaw07 post=90682164]1. What kind of oil are you using.
2. The rings in the engine could be worn out .

Forte (Visco 2000) . I see, will replacing the engine rings be reliable as buying a tokunbo Engine please?

1 Like

Re: What Could Be Done As My 2004 Honda CR-V Burns Oil At 255k Miles?. by ksmart027(m): 9:10am On Jun 15, 2020
Buy new engine and dont use visco 2000 when you change the engine. Use oil weight 5w30

1 Like

Re: What Could Be Done As My 2004 Honda CR-V Burns Oil At 255k Miles?. by alphaNomega: 9:55am On Jun 15, 2020
Martiny:
Forte (Visco 2000) . I see, will replacing the engine rings be reliable than buying a tokunbo Engine please?

Buy a new engine!
Re: What Could Be Done As My 2004 Honda CR-V Burns Oil At 255k Miles?. by erico2k2(m): 11:30am On Jun 15, 2020
alphaNomega:

Buy a new engine!
9ja we are very quick to condemn Engine, at least the Engine should be opened up to see what the issue is, we don't even know if he has a leak external or internal yet or one of them ones where the oil leaks unto the body of the block and burns out there etc

1 Like

Re: What Could Be Done As My 2004 Honda CR-V Burns Oil At 255k Miles?. by alphaNomega: 12:30pm On Jun 15, 2020
erico2k2:

9ja we are very quick to condemn Engine, at least teh Engine should be opened up to see what the issue is, we don't even know if he has a leak external or internal yet or one of them ones where the oil leaks unto the body of the block and burns out there etc
The engine should be opened up at whose cost? Penny-wise bro
Re: What Could Be Done As My 2004 Honda CR-V Burns Oil At 255k Miles?. by erico2k2(m): 1:14pm On Jun 15, 2020
alphaNomega:
The engine should be opened up at whose cost? Penny-wise bro
I will prefer my current Engine being opened and if there is no damage to the block parts replace and rebuilt than buying a used non tested Engine.At least you know what you have buying a used Engine is penny wise pound foolish, just imagine buying a used Engine of 300k miles

2 Likes

Re: What Could Be Done As My 2004 Honda CR-V Burns Oil At 255k Miles?. by kunki90(m): 1:52pm On Jun 15, 2020
On point, one can not just be throwing money on car parts anyhow. Finding the source of problem is key

erico2k2:

I will prefer my current Engine being opened and if there is no damage to the block parts replace and rebuilt than buying a used non tested Engine.At least you know what you have buying a used Engine is penny wise pound foolish, just imagine buying a used Engine of 300k miles

1 Like

Re: What Could Be Done As My 2004 Honda CR-V Burns Oil At 255k Miles?. by alphaNomega: 3:27pm On Jun 15, 2020
erico2k2:

Sometimes you might be unfortunate to get a faulty replacement engine buy it's easier to replace (again) than having to figure out which of the myriads of parts should be replaced in the event of a botched engine rebuild
Re: What Could Be Done As My 2004 Honda CR-V Burns Oil At 255k Miles?. by alphaNomega: 3:28pm On Jun 15, 2020
kunki90:
On point, one can not just be throwing money on car parts anyhow. Finding the source of problem is key

How? You're buying a whole engine, not camshafts, rings and sensors
Re: What Could Be Done As My 2004 Honda CR-V Burns Oil At 255k Miles?. by erico2k2(m): 4:57pm On Jun 15, 2020
alphaNomega:

Sometimes you might be unfortunate to get a faulty replacement engine buy it's easier to replace (again) than having to figure out which of the myriads of parts should be replaced in the event of a botched engine rebuild
It's actually very easy to figure out where fluids are leaking from inside an Engine once it's out of a car and clear of all auxiliaries.If replacing with a brand new engine then yes with an Old one nahhhh cos the % of buying a faulty Engine is high as guarantees in 9ja in such form are nearly non-existent!. The culprit of this kind of leaks is usually the seals, so why not change the whole seals.
Re: What Could Be Done As My 2004 Honda CR-V Burns Oil At 255k Miles?. by erico2k2(m): 4:59pm On Jun 15, 2020
alphaNomega:
we should address the Engine for what it is, so in this context, there is nothing like buying a new Engine its a used Engine by my guess will be high millage so, therefore, is prone to the same wear and tear faults
Re: What Could Be Done As My 2004 Honda CR-V Burns Oil At 255k Miles?. by kunki90(m): 5:07pm On Jun 15, 2020
I said car parts not engine parts. Your own first goto solution is to change the entire engine you did not even mention a diagnosis, nawa o

alphaNomega:

1 Like

Re: What Could Be Done As My 2004 Honda CR-V Burns Oil At 255k Miles?. by 9icetoo(m): 5:20pm On Jun 15, 2020
Martiny:
Hi all, professional advice needed as my 6months old tokunbo Honda CR-V 2004 at 255,000 miles burns oil, I notice a black colour on the exhaust too. I discover a regular shortage on the guage even when recently serviced.
Black soot on the exhaust is not a confirmation that it's burning oil. It may be from incomplete fuel consumption.
Secondly, you have not ruled out external leaks.
Lastly, how many liters of oil does this engine burn between oil changes? Less than a liter isn't a very good reason to swap engines depending on the cost of the whole exercise.
Start with the easier things first.
Wash your engine and undercarriage thoroughly. Look for external leaks. Look for oil stains where you park.
Clean or change your pcv.

It's up to you to decide whether to ring the engine or source Tokunbo replacement depending on the mechanic expertise around you.
I'd ring the engine though.
Re: What Could Be Done As My 2004 Honda CR-V Burns Oil At 255k Miles?. by alphaNomega: 6:31pm On Jun 15, 2020
kunki90:

I said car parts not engine parts. Your own first goto solution is to change the entire engine you did not even mention a diagnosis, nawa o

there are some problems that don't need a diagnosis, you go straight for the head

1 Like

Re: What Could Be Done As My 2004 Honda CR-V Burns Oil At 255k Miles?. by Craziestgirl(f): 7:30pm On Jun 15, 2020
Gazzuzz and Luvinhunby must be laughing at these 'experts:

Not a single person mentioned that Forte Visco 2000 is 20w/50 was the wrong oil weight to use.
The oil has clogged the engine and sludge has most likely caused irreversible damage.
At this point, changing to the correct oil 5w/30 will dislodge the sludge in the innards of the engine and all hell will break loose.

Visit a qualified mechanic and diagnose. You might need to do multiple oil drain/replacement with whatever he/she recommends.

How do I know this? I owned same car for three years.

4 Likes

Re: What Could Be Done As My 2004 Honda CR-V Burns Oil At 255k Miles?. by MedicH: 8:23pm On Jun 15, 2020
Lol hey. Nigerians are suffering with their cars. Suffer heads everywhere. Incompetence here and there, block head here and there.
Re: What Could Be Done As My 2004 Honda CR-V Burns Oil At 255k Miles?. by Nobody: 8:27am On Jun 16, 2020
Martiny:
If you value your sanity and hard earned cash, please disregard all these Google talk above. This is one of those situations where you listen to your kazeem.
Get that engine ringed as eriko2k2 opined. Then start using 5w30 oil. Been there, done that.

There's a cheap mobil 5w30 for #5,500 now.

Truth is the piston rings were mostly likely worn at 255,000 miles. Changing oil to 20w50 Visco 2000 made it catastrophic in a relatively short time but you will definitely get your money's worth out of the ringing if done now. Don't waste money on a used engine yet. Your car engine by itself is practically tokunbo.
Re: What Could Be Done As My 2004 Honda CR-V Burns Oil At 255k Miles?. by donstefano8(m): 10:23am On Jun 16, 2020
kunki90:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNhuDCVIydw
Re: What Could Be Done As My 2004 Honda CR-V Burns Oil At 255k Miles?. by homeboy205: 7:25pm On Jun 16, 2020
ModelX:
If you value your sanity and hard earned cash, please disregard all these Google talk above. This is one of those situations where you listen to your kazeem.
Get that engine ringed as eriko2k2 opined. Then start using 5w30 oil. Been there, done that.

There's a cheap mobil 5w30 for #5,500 now.

Truth is the piston rings were mostly likely worn at 255,000 miles. Changing oil to 20w50 Visco 2000 made it catastrophic in a relatively short time but you will definitely get your money's worth out of the ringing if done now. Don't waste money on a used engine yet. Your car engine by itself is practically tokunbo.

To get correct person wey go ring ham nko??
To get genuine part nko??
Re: What Could Be Done As My 2004 Honda CR-V Burns Oil At 255k Miles?. by Nobody: 9:00pm On Jun 16, 2020
homeboy205:

To get correct person wey go ring ham nko??
To get genuine part nko??

Bros na the koko be dat sha.
Sometimes accidented motor dey better pass high mileage. Engine repair/replacement is like rolling dice.
Re: What Could Be Done As My 2004 Honda CR-V Burns Oil At 255k Miles?. by jacobjamie(m): 11:52pm On Jun 16, 2020
This topic is interesting, pls I just got my first Honda, a Honda Crv 2008, which oil make should I go for..... I have always thought any oil goes, Mobil, Forte oil not minding the type... It's actually a Naija used car... Want to handle it with care and love.. I need to give it all attention... What do u guys advice me to do first since I haven't driven it yet, am out of town from lagos, I thought of doing 1. full engine servicing 2. re wiring cuzz the fan was on bypass, 3. full diagnose.
Pls any other information? I need to know the type of oil recommended for this Honda Crv 2007 - 2011 model... Pls Help
Re: What Could Be Done As My 2004 Honda CR-V Burns Oil At 255k Miles?. by Eldemmi(m): 7:45am On Jun 18, 2020
I don't see anyone talking about PCT valve. it may be the culprit, tell your mechanic to help u change it or service it.
Re: What Could Be Done As My 2004 Honda CR-V Burns Oil At 255k Miles?. by ksmart027(m): 7:54am On Jun 18, 2020
Eldemmi:
I don't see anyone talking about PCT valve.
it may be the culprit, tell your mechanic to help u change it or service it.
pcv not pct
Re: What Could Be Done As My 2004 Honda CR-V Burns Oil At 255k Miles?. by Eldemmi(m): 8:27am On Jun 18, 2020
ksmart027:
pcv not pct
thanks for d correction , don't u think it can be cause?
Re: What Could Be Done As My 2004 Honda CR-V Burns Oil At 255k Miles?. by ksmart027(m): 9:12am On Jun 18, 2020
Eldemmi:

thanks for d correction , don't u think it can be cause?
yes, a clogged pcv valve can cause oil consumption
Re: What Could Be Done As My 2004 Honda CR-V Burns Oil At 255k Miles?. by radautoworks: 4:15pm On Aug 16, 2020
Don't know the fluid specs for your car? Use our online tool and don't let a kazeem tell you otherwise again.

Visit weblink.carquest.com/

username cust498
password Password1

(1) (Reply)

Conversion From Auto To Manual Transmission - Highlander 2004 / 1999 Model Toyota Camry Vrs 1999 Model Honda Crv / Mitsubishi Pajero Starting And Firing Issues

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.