Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,690 members, 7,820,401 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:17 PM

SA Diplomat To Nigeria Chronicles Life Under Lockdown In Abuja (EXCERPTS) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / SA Diplomat To Nigeria Chronicles Life Under Lockdown In Abuja (EXCERPTS) (777 Views)

I Didn't Collect ₦‎20m From Peter Obi, My Life Under Threat ― Taraba LP Chair / Our Lives Under Lockdown By Abuja, Lagos And Kaduna Residents / Senator Adeleke’s Life Under Threat, PDP Cries Out (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

SA Diplomat To Nigeria Chronicles Life Under Lockdown In Abuja (EXCERPTS) by TMKsouth: 1:39am On Jun 16, 2020
29 MAY 2020

Honourable Bobby J Moroe - High Commissioner

As the world’s skies began to shut down, with the Covid-19 pandemic spreading, travellers abroad scrambled to get home and governments laid on repatriation flights. But for key diplomats this wasn’t an option – they had to stay in place, at their stations.

I write this article from my apartment in Abuja, the capital of Nigeria. Like many of my ilk, and the general population, I am in lockdown, observing Covid-19 protocols as outlined by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC).

This is the same spot where I have been sitting since the beginning of lockdown in Nigeria on Monday 30 March 23:00 (22:00 GMT). Since then, I have been working remotely, with intermittent visits to the office as the Nigerian government was courteous enough to grant movement permits to the diplomatic corps.

This was the first time in my career as a diplomat that I’ve had to embrace the idea of working from home. It was something foreign to me, an approach I have always resisted due to the architecture of my work. But under such volatile circumstances, one is left with two options: adapt or resist. I chose the former. In brief, the Covid-19 pandemic prevailed over my resistance.

(...)

We in Abuja and Lagos are not immune from this sense of anxiety. Our true emotions we endure silently in our little corners, because giving up is not an option and staying the course represents the true character of a diplomat.

Similarly, I also agonised about developments in my immediate environment in which I faced direct threat of infection. This is a natural reaction for a diplomat whose life is metaphorically marked by duality – a life in South Africa and a life in Nigeria.

Being away from home during a period of such a lethal pandemic leaves one with a pain that cuts deep. But such is the life of a diplomat – to represent your country at all costs, defend it by all means, keep the flag flying high and remain steadfast in the frontline when many have retreated.

(...)

When the Nigerian government announced its first 14-day lockdown at the end of March, many South Africans could not return to South Africa. Though the announcement about closing the skies was made in good time, to allow a window period for travellers to reschedule travel, it coincided with travel dates of many South Africans who came to Nigeria on either short business trips or to visit friends.

As the clock ticked and days passed, anxiety grew, and many were overcome by panic and uncertainty. They did not know if they would get home soon. Some had exhausted their limited budget for daily subsistence and accommodation since these are linked to the duration of stay on business trips. Those who visited friends had to extend their stays and reached out to their families to provide financial assistance for day-to-day expenses.

Another group of affected South Africans was not intending to be repatriated. They live in Nigeria with in-laws and are financially dependent on spouses who work in South Africa, some as priests and others as informal traders. These people no longer had income and could not send money home to Nigeria for family upkeep.

(...)

At this point, a WhatsApp group of South Africans in Nigeria was activated and a total of 119 South Africans, from different states in Nigeria, confirmed their wish to be repatriated. In order to facilitate their movements, the mission made contact with police commissioners in the respective states to issue road travel permits for passage to Lagos, the point of departure.

On 12 April, this group of South Africans converged on the Murtala Muhammed International Airport in Lagos to board a South African Airways flight to South Africa. They were all subjected to a 14-day mandatory quarantine at home, but were joyful at the prospect of being reunited with families.

This entire experience was for me an emotional journey but, most remarkably, a reminder that, as diplomats, ours is a task of serving and putting our right foot forward, even in the toughest of times.

https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/opinionista/2020-05-29-covid-19-chronicles-of-a-south-african-diplomat-in-nigeria/

Re: SA Diplomat To Nigeria Chronicles Life Under Lockdown In Abuja (EXCERPTS) by WannaHowzit(m): 2:26am On Jun 16, 2020
He praised us!

1 Like

Re: SA Diplomat To Nigeria Chronicles Life Under Lockdown In Abuja (EXCERPTS) by sweetsell: 2:32am On Jun 16, 2020
Unlike foolish Nigerians that will go to a country far superior n beta in everything n be labeling it populace lazy. Foolish set of people.

WannaHowzit:
He praised us!

1 Like

Re: SA Diplomat To Nigeria Chronicles Life Under Lockdown In Abuja (EXCERPTS) by Nobody: 2:49am On Jun 16, 2020
Lost Addict
Re: SA Diplomat To Nigeria Chronicles Life Under Lockdown In Abuja (EXCERPTS) by saintvc(m): 2:59am On Jun 16, 2020
No more xenophobia thanks to covid 19
Re: SA Diplomat To Nigeria Chronicles Life Under Lockdown In Abuja (EXCERPTS) by TMKsouth: 3:24am On Jun 16, 2020
LostAddict:
Lost Addict

Is there a pun hidden in there somewhere? Be careful with your answer, I'm from SA. wink

1 Like

Re: SA Diplomat To Nigeria Chronicles Life Under Lockdown In Abuja (EXCERPTS) by Nobody: 3:59am On Jun 16, 2020
TMKsouth:

Is there a pun hidden in there somewhere? Be careful with your answer, I'm from SA. wink

No pun intended. I know you are from SA you are popular on this street.

2 Likes

Re: SA Diplomat To Nigeria Chronicles Life Under Lockdown In Abuja (EXCERPTS) by TMKsouth: 4:00am On Jun 16, 2020
LostAddict:

No pun intended. I know you are from SA you are popular on this street.

Cool man. Was hoping there was. It would have been a clever one.

1 Like

Re: SA Diplomat To Nigeria Chronicles Life Under Lockdown In Abuja (EXCERPTS) by WannaHowzit(m): 5:51am On Jun 16, 2020
sweetsell:
Unlike foolish Nigerians that will go to a country far superior n beta in everything n be labeling it populace lazy. Foolish set of people.

Exactly.
Re: SA Diplomat To Nigeria Chronicles Life Under Lockdown In Abuja (EXCERPTS) by TMKsouth: 6:54am On Jun 16, 2020
-

Re: SA Diplomat To Nigeria Chronicles Life Under Lockdown In Abuja (EXCERPTS) by TMKsouth: 9:52am On Jun 16, 2020
TODAY SA CELEBRATES YOUTH DAY. Remembering the 1976 Soweto students uprising when they marched for quality education but the apartheid regime shot them down.

Re: SA Diplomat To Nigeria Chronicles Life Under Lockdown In Abuja (EXCERPTS) by WannaHowzit(m): 10:09pm On Jun 17, 2020
TMKsouth:
TODAY SA CELEBRATES YOUTH DAY. Remembering the 1976 Soweto students uprising when they marched for quality education but the apartheid regime shot them down.

Hope you enjoyed

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Canadian & Belgian Firms Bid For Calabar Deep Seaport Project / JUST IN: PDP Urges Buhari To Tender His Resignation As President Immediately / Obaseki Free To Return To APC If… —Wike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.