Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,792 members, 7,813,624 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:08 PM

Our Lives Under Lockdown By Abuja, Lagos And Kaduna Residents - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Our Lives Under Lockdown By Abuja, Lagos And Kaduna Residents (26576 Views)

Buhari Extends Eased Lockdown By 4 Weeks / Guidelines For Easing Of Lockdown By Presidential Task Force (PTF) / People That Will Feel The Additional 14 Days Lockdown By The President (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Our Lives Under Lockdown By Abuja, Lagos And Kaduna Residents by agwom(m): 6:24am On Apr 04, 2020
* ‘We’re not bothered about washing hands, let’s get water to drink first’

Days after the lockdown order in Abuja, the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), residents who live on the lower rungs of the social ladder have begun to fret about how they would get food to eat and portable water. Most of Abuja’s suburbs do not have portable water and residents depend on vendors to get their supply from boreholes. Grace Ijeoma lives in a slum at Abattoir, Karu, a suburb of Abuja, with her three children. She is one of millions of Nigerians who live from hand to mouth, so the lockdown means that getting her daily sustenance is a big challenge.

“We are not talking about washing hands. Let us get enough water to drink and bath. In this lockdown we are afraid we might run out of resources, so we have to manage,” she said. Some of the vendors who supply water in the area said they could not comply with the lockdown because they had to meet residents’ water need, and at the same time, earn a living. They noted that water was getting scarce now that more people are at home and use more water. They added that some vendors who left for their home states before the lockdown had made it difficult for those of them who stayed behind to meet the high demand for water by residents.

“Because people are staying at home more than normal, they need more water, and the few of us cannot meet their demand. Some people just have to manage the water because they can’t get enough,” a vendor, Ahmad Sani, said. Tunji Adeboye also said, “This is the third day of the lockdown and we are already feeling the impact. I am afraid of what would happen in the next few days because we depend solely on what we earn daily. This will be tough for us.”

Daily Trust Saturday observed that businesses were also opened at Durumi III, Lokogoma and Utako village, Abuja’s prominent slum areas. Some residents who spoke with our reporters said they could not stay at home for 14 days and do nothing because they lacked a sustainable source of income. A welder at Durumi III said he had to open his workshop so that he could get money to feed his family. The man, who pleaded anonymity and operated without a signpost at his workshop, said he resided in the community and had no challenge coming to his workshop.

A vulcaniser at Lokogoma, who identified himself as James, said there would be nothing for him to eat if he did not work. He said the risk of disobeying the lockdown was worth it as his family could also risk going to bed without food if he stayed at home. At Utako village, a cobbler, Isah Abdul, said he had walked round the community and other places looking for customers, but business was not the same anymore. He, however, added, “The little I have made is worth it.”

Abdul, who spoke in Hausa language, was resting under a tree before a motorist parked to polish his shoes. There was a mild drama when Abdul insisted on collecting N100 for polishing a pair of black sandals while the motorist disagreed as he was ready to part with only N50. Abdul said the lockdown led to the increase in price as they later settled for N80.
https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/abuja-lagos-kaduna-residents-our-lives-under-lockdown.html

3 Likes

Re: Our Lives Under Lockdown By Abuja, Lagos And Kaduna Residents by LivingSage: 6:37am On Apr 04, 2020
What are we to do now.
Exposing to Covid-19 EQUALS death
Exposing to hunger-20 EQUALS death
Now, It all lies on Government to manage the two so as not to be like a person who tried killing a bird with Cutlass, bird flew, Cutlass lost

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Our Lives Under Lockdown By Abuja, Lagos And Kaduna Residents by yanabasee(m): 7:08am On Apr 04, 2020
LivingSage:
What are to do now.
Now, It all lies on Government to manage the two so as not to be like a person who tried killing a bird with Cutlass, bird flew, Cutlass lost

There is no government in Nigeria, but a political body... And there's absolutely nothing they can do right now...

They're even more afraid themselves.... Because, there is no abroad for them to run to.....

By now, Buhari would have handed over to poor Osinbajo and run to UK in the name of medical check up...

If you know how to stay alive and survive.. please adhere to your own personal planning.

86 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Our Lives Under Lockdown By Abuja, Lagos And Kaduna Residents by donbachi(m): 7:19am On Apr 04, 2020
No worry urself...wen d foodstuffs wey dem stock finish...no be person go tell dem..na dia belle go tell dem.

4 Likes

Re: Our Lives Under Lockdown By Abuja, Lagos And Kaduna Residents by shadelek(m): 7:21am On Apr 04, 2020
Nigeria Government!
You asked someone to stay at the back of the doors without making necessary provision regarding feeding and comfortability.
Even in the middle of this Corona stuff, NASS members are being given 2020 Toyota Camry and yet, citizens are suffering.
Anyways, they're receiving their judgements gradually.

10 Likes

Re: Our Lives Under Lockdown By Abuja, Lagos And Kaduna Residents by helinues: 7:22am On Apr 04, 2020
Irony of present situation

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Our Lives Under Lockdown By Abuja, Lagos And Kaduna Residents by RapistOnBail: 7:22am On Apr 04, 2020
lipsrsealed

Wahala dey this country. I pity the poor, they put their hopes in gods while they die of hunger. embarassed

7 Likes

Re: Our Lives Under Lockdown By Abuja, Lagos And Kaduna Residents by Primusinterpares(m): 7:23am On Apr 04, 2020
Things are just tied down.
My marriage plans are already paused. Work is standing alone, small saving is depleting, no income, area Bois will not let you do lockdown in peace n serenity, NEPA will not even give you light.
God just help us.

+ I hear say China scientist are coming to Nigeria please can someone tell me what they wanna come here n do?

15 Likes

Re: Our Lives Under Lockdown By Abuja, Lagos And Kaduna Residents by WonderManly(m): 7:23am On Apr 04, 2020

1 Like

Re: Our Lives Under Lockdown By Abuja, Lagos And Kaduna Residents by DriggityDre: 7:23am On Apr 04, 2020
LivingSage:
What are to do now.
Nawao. This your picture get as e be..

1 Like

Re: Our Lives Under Lockdown By Abuja, Lagos And Kaduna Residents by 24krests: 7:24am On Apr 04, 2020
J
Re: Our Lives Under Lockdown By Abuja, Lagos And Kaduna Residents by bluefilm: 7:24am On Apr 04, 2020
Doctor2021:
This is serious

So seriou, I tell you.
Re: Our Lives Under Lockdown By Abuja, Lagos And Kaduna Residents by Jestin: 7:24am On Apr 04, 2020
It is a pity that our Government can not provide the citizens with basic human needs such as water and electricity. We have a very long way to go in Nigeria seriously.

1 Like

Re: Our Lives Under Lockdown By Abuja, Lagos And Kaduna Residents by u11ae1013: 7:24am On Apr 04, 2020
Are those 2.5 million household not in Abuja

OH I forgot, they didn't give buhari massive vote

4 Likes

Re: Our Lives Under Lockdown By Abuja, Lagos And Kaduna Residents by shuttox: 7:24am On Apr 04, 2020
abeg make una help me with any amount..i only received december salary last month, No hope again..my hussle stopped because of cornavirus..no means to feed please help me....any amount 0046533149 GTBANK

2 Likes

Re: Our Lives Under Lockdown By Abuja, Lagos And Kaduna Residents by Janiobi(m): 7:24am On Apr 04, 2020
I am only here to wish everyone a happy safe day and a good morning to you all nairalanders.
you wan lock naija for house without food?
are you okay? @B

2 Likes

Re: Our Lives Under Lockdown By Abuja, Lagos And Kaduna Residents by TheKing4040(m): 7:25am On Apr 04, 2020
Hunger bad, so when the real hunger comes knocking, them nor go tell person..
Re: Our Lives Under Lockdown By Abuja, Lagos And Kaduna Residents by Bossontop(m): 7:25am On Apr 04, 2020
undecided
E get many things wey no jus possible for naija....like development, good governance, 24hrs electricity, government helping her citizens etc........ Dem plenty sha

9 Likes

Re: Our Lives Under Lockdown By Abuja, Lagos And Kaduna Residents by IamPatriotic(m): 7:25am On Apr 04, 2020
This is the first week of the lockdown and it's the week of grace. If the restriction continue into the weeks ahead and people don't have the resources to restock their, lockdown will melt away irrespective of if coronavirus is killing Nigerians or not hunger is not a child's play.

2 Likes

Re: Our Lives Under Lockdown By Abuja, Lagos And Kaduna Residents by VillageHead: 7:25am On Apr 04, 2020
Those that put in place these type of orders without any palliative measures to cushion its effects are sprawling obese while the subjects are growing thinner by the day.

Which way Nigeria!

Shey na like dis we go dey stay?

Re: Our Lives Under Lockdown By Abuja, Lagos And Kaduna Residents by noni14(m): 7:25am On Apr 04, 2020
May God help us
Re: Our Lives Under Lockdown By Abuja, Lagos And Kaduna Residents by nofeeajoke: 7:25am On Apr 04, 2020
God is involve

1 Share

Re: Our Lives Under Lockdown By Abuja, Lagos And Kaduna Residents by omoadeleye(m): 7:26am On Apr 04, 2020
Inside life
Re: Our Lives Under Lockdown By Abuja, Lagos And Kaduna Residents by koffsman(m): 7:26am On Apr 04, 2020
To sit at home is not the problem the real problem is poverty and hunger

1 Like

Re: Our Lives Under Lockdown By Abuja, Lagos And Kaduna Residents by Nobody: 7:27am On Apr 04, 2020
It is well
Re: Our Lives Under Lockdown By Abuja, Lagos And Kaduna Residents by LivingSage: 7:28am On Apr 04, 2020
Make me understand your assertion please
Modified: Now I understand
DriggityDre:

Nawao. This your picture get as e be..
Re: Our Lives Under Lockdown By Abuja, Lagos And Kaduna Residents by Ladiesdoctor(m): 7:28am On Apr 04, 2020
Thank God for the lockdown some people for don carry the corona since.

If you are doubting me, ask Italy, USA, Spain, Iran

Thank God for the lockdown because some people would have carry the corona go villages during Easter and that will be a confirmed disaster.

Some people and complaints are like 5 and 6

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Our Lives Under Lockdown By Abuja, Lagos And Kaduna Residents by olukaygold(m): 7:29am On Apr 04, 2020
We have no Government in Nigeria. Wetin I'll just say is Stay home stay safe control yourself when you're hungry nobody will come to your help cry cry so pathetic

Ekiti kete real estate investors. This is an opportunity for you. Buy this two bedroom bungalow, invest on the remaining land and be making 1.5m-2m annually

1 Like

Re: Our Lives Under Lockdown By Abuja, Lagos And Kaduna Residents by ignis: 7:29am On Apr 04, 2020
This is what happens when you copy other countries solutions to problem forgetting that the questions are different and everywhere is unique.

Lockdown is not the solution to ending this pandemic in Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: Our Lives Under Lockdown By Abuja, Lagos And Kaduna Residents by MadeINchenzen2: 7:29am On Apr 04, 2020

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Court Cases Won’t Stop Handover To Tinubu, Shettima – FG / Hadi Sirika And The Return Of Nigeria Airways / Fayose To Magu: I Must Not Die In EFCC Cell As You Have Boasted

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.