Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,805 members, 7,824,342 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 08:36 AM

Passion Over Everything- The first step to success - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Passion Over Everything- The first step to success (569 Views)

Art Tutorial On How To Draw Realistic Dreadlocks First Step / Which Is Equivalent To Success, Hard Work, Smartwork, Luck? / What Odd Job Did You Do On Your Way To Success? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Passion Over Everything- The first step to success by Nobody: 8:26am On Jun 16, 2020
I just completed a writing project, I can finally let my hair down for at least three days.

I actually finished on Sunday, but you know editing and other requirements that come next could add extra hours to your time.

The last three weeks have been something else. I had to use nairaland to relieve my stress. I'll write a little and come on nairaland to vent my spleen until the guy told me that the deadline was in two days. I had to write the remaining 11000 words in two days.. Lol.

Passion over everything

I remember when I was in the final days of secondary school where everyone created a slumbook, I jumped on the train too. At the page where the owner of the slumbook writes about him or herself, I wrote, I wanted to be a renowned author, that going to the university will just be to get a degree.

Am I a renowned author now? Not yet. I've got a couple of unpublished books (fiction), and three published books on Amazon Kindle (non-fiction & fiction).

When I graduated from University, I started searching for a job. This was not always the plan. I had so many plans.

My first plan was to be a housewife and an author. I always envisioned myself at home typing away with a typewriter, just like my sweetheart, Danielle Steel did. I'm yet to get married. So, this plan is still on hold.

The second plan was to work in the Federal Ministry like my mum. I've not seen someone enjoy a work-life balance like her. She is still working until this moment, though she has 2-3 years left. Do you know the extra allowances they paid during this covid19?

Government work is the best! But seems it's not yet time for general recruitment. Although I'll admit I've not taken out time to get a connection there.

Even the number my mum collected from Abuja, I'm yet to inquire about it. But if you must work in government, you'll need to be a prayer warrior. The kind of things that go on there? Hmm!

The third plan was an oil company. I was in my final year at university when my mind went there. That time I've started liking money and prestige.

I told my dad, he said he has a friend. That was how I was hoping until I passed my bus stop because of hope. The man retired before I finished NYSC. He couldn't even put his children there. And then he died due to liver complications.

I have never liked bank jobs, because back then, they had this uniform thing they wear, and I don't like such rules. So it was not an option. But when all my other cards were exhausted, I started considering it. I tried one.

The interview went well, the panel of three HR executives loved me. I remember the lady asking me if I use a contact lens. She was admiring me. Did I get the job, Nope! Why? I failed the personality test. And that's how I failed the personality tests of KPMG and PWC.

I have a weakness, or so I thought, when I fail at one thing, I don't attempt it again. I tried to overcome this weakness with PWC and applied again. Read all the personality test format. I was still unsuccessful.

I finally decided to try "unstructured organizations". I got a job at an IT company where I was managing all the administrative duties. From the front desk to customer service, project manager, social media manager, etc. At a point, they wanted to teach me graphic design.

Out of 30 days in a month, I'll surely miss at least 6 days. I hate routine, which may be the reason I've been failing personality tests.

It was a small company, but well connected. The CEO of the company's mum was a House of Rep member, so he had connections. At one time, I was managing her social media platforms and even created a Wikipedia page for her. I also got to meet her. She looked powerful in her pictures but quite nice in person.

The company was a stone throw to my house, 30 mins walk, 5 mins ride. But I dreaded going to work every day. I just couldn't bear the thought of relating physically with people and taking orders. I felt suffocated.

I had a friend in the office who was the only reason I kept going. But when he resigned, I started planning my exit strategy. I did resign after giving three weeks notice.

My boss kept asking me why. I said I wanted to try out writing. This was half true because I was also looking for a job that will pay me 200k like my colleague that left...lol.

I got a send-off party with a big cake. Nice people they were, but before I collected my salary for that month, it was a thug of war.

They've never owed before, I guess they saw no need to keep their integrity since I was leaving. But being the kind of person that doesn't tolerate nonsense, I forced the money from their hands.

After leaving the place, I started writing. Prior to this time, I asked some people about it. I came to discover people don't really know things top of their heads.

Don't ask people for information, research, and read about it. I remember I asked two people and they were clueless. Even the one that said he has been writing for years. I wonder what he has been writing.

Starting my freelance career was not rosy. I was a novice without a mentor, who didn't know the importance of in-depth research before testing uncertain waters.

I started with poor pay, but I didn't mind. I loved what I was doing and I was getting paid to learn new things.

You know, one of the reasons, I chose writing, again, is because when I started working in the corporate world, I felt I was becoming dull. I only knew about the company and its products. I had no time for any other thing.

While growing up, I thought of myself as an information gatherer. At every stage in my life, I had two exercise books, which I used in jotting down interesting facts. I have two right now.

I always loved going to the library and reading encyclopedias. The first time I read about the US and its Presidents was in my dad's official library.

I remember when I had a fall out with my teacher in secondary school and she will ask me to leave the class each time she came to teach, I'll go to the school's library. One day, I stumbled on the history of Nelson Mandela. It was so interesting I had to write it out.

Do you know that the question of Nelson Mandela came out in my second year in University and I answered it so well that I got a B? Other students got D and F.

If I had not read that history, I wouldn't have attempted that question because the man didn't teach it. And I only knew three out of the five-question the lecturer set.

There was also a particular class I didn't like attending in my third year of junior secondary, I'll go to the library instead.

I loved gathering information about the things I admired and intrigued me. But when I started working, I realized I didn't have time for my hobby, and I didn't know anything going on around me. I felt dull.

I knew I had to make a change. But how? I couldn't access libraries any longer. The company my dad worked for got privatized and the library and other benefits we enjoyed were shut down. I was out of school, and at that time, I didn't know of government libraries.

I never knew freelance writing will afford me the opportunity to enjoy my hobby once more.

I started writing, but the pay wasn't enough. So I applied for an editorial assistant job. Now, the agreement was that I'll go with the editor to interview entrepreneurs and celebrities, write articles for the company's blog and manage the social media page. I was to work remotely. This was a great job, why? Because I could work remotely. I didn't have to spend all day locked up in a cage.

I enjoyed the first few months of the job. I mean, I was interviewing celebrities and successful entrepreneurs, organizing shows and all. I have contacts that if I give online beggars they will be eternally grateful. But I had to stop. Why? Uncle was not upholding his side of the agreement, and I hate being cheated.

The plan was to interview, write, and update social platforms. Why are you asking me to go to unnecessary places when you can get the job done via email?

I've said it before, I don't tolerate nonsense. I left the job and concentrated on my writing, which was already picking up by then.

Freelancing is not easy, especially when you're writing and not outsourcing. There are lots of risks attached to it.

I remember when I registered on a writing platform, freelancer. I bid for jobs, and I got two offers. If I had known about outsourcing, I would have outsourced one right? Rather I ignored one and focused on the wrong one.

Do you know what the client did to me? First of all, he said we should communicate through Skype. I didn't know it wasn't permitted. It should have been a red flag for me.

I ended up writing about 20 articles only for the guy to disappear. It broke me. I almost gave up the thought of writing, if not for my passion. I prayed Psalm 109:8 for the guy o.

Can you imagine he came back asking that I should write one more article? According to him, the person that gave out the project said he won't pay until I've written it?

I just ignored him. When I saw RedPhoenix mentions, I laughed. Life comes with risks, but the question is, is it worth it?

If that experience didn't make me give up on writing, I doubt anything will. Writing is where I find peace and fulfillment.

When I didn't like going to work, I thought I was a lazy person. Well, I can be lazy sometimes. But writing brings out the strength in me.

I could stay awake for 36 hours, just to meet a deadline. The adrenaline rush is something I can't explain in words. Probably better than an org...asm.

I learn a lot, and some of the information has helped my personal life. I'll be forever grateful to myself for taking that step to try out freelance writing. Am I going to write a fiction soon? Definitely, while on vacation in Dubai or Paris. But now, I'm sticking to non-fiction.

Somethings I've learned about freelance writing:

When possible, ask for part payment before beginning any project. However, this might not work with a structured organization. But if it's structured, they won't scam you.

You don't have to wait for the job that comes with lots of dollars. You're wasting time and money ( I learned this recently). Do small writing jobs, but remember to keep bidding on big jobs. Don't let the small ones take all your time.

Read any thread or article about writing. Someone might spill info without intending to. Read comments on blogs. They contain lots of info that will help you.

Keep improving yourself. If you're not writing, make sure you're learning. However, the best way to learn is on the job. I learned SEO writing and sales copy on the job. That is why you shouldn't despise small jobs, they present more learning opportunities.

Have your own works. I don't know if you can write for someone better than you write for yourself. Have your blog posts, ebook, sales copy, and use them for samples too. But ensure you've published them somewhere.

Always request for reviews. You will need them to get better-paying clients.

Don't listen to naysayers. It's all about what you love doing, and not what people think you should be doing.

If you commit suicide from depression and frustration of doing what is in vogue, they will only type " Why now? He/she shouldn't have done it." And they will go back to their normal lives. Keep doing you, the haters can jog.

Live life for you and if anyone questions your decision, ignore them. They will soon come to accept you. This applies to everyone, irrespective of what you choose to do whether it's a chef, farmer, teacher, auditor, accountant, etc. Your sense of fulfillment is all that matters.

Lastly, don't spend all the money you earn. Reinvest it in yourself. You can start a writing agency, publishing company, further your education, get foreign exposure (LLC), invest in the stock, real estate, etc. This will also help upgrade your earning. I learned this the hard way.

I was in a relationship with someone who wanted me to get a job (like the one I was doing was play).

I was trying to prove to him that I was happy with the writing, and I was earning well too. I became extravagant. Don't do that, you don't need to prove yourself to anyone. Cut such people from your life. They will only distract you from your goal.

Also, understand that not everyone gets the concept of content writing, especially in Nigeria.

I had to take my time and explain to a CEO who gave me his card and asked for a proposal by the time I was done telling him all the wonderful things I could do for his company.

If you read to this point, I must congratulate you on your patience. Have a wonderful week. And remember, if you don't feel that burning fire in whatever you're doing, you're not living.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Passion Over Everything- The first step to success by Mrkcee(m): 8:27am On Jun 16, 2020
Good one!
Re: Passion Over Everything- The first step to success by Nobody: 8:50am On Jun 16, 2020
Mrkcee:
Good one!

Thanks, Mrkcee
Re: Passion Over Everything- The first step to success by RedPhoenix: 8:44pm On Jun 16, 2020
Nooil:
I just completed a writing project, I can finally let my hair down for at least three days.

I actually finished on Sunday, but you know editing and other requirements that come next could add extra hours to your time.

The last three weeks have been something else. I had to use nairaland to relieve my stress. I'll write a little and come on nairaland to vent my spleen until the guy told me that the deadline was in two days. I had to write the remaining 11000 words in two days.. Lol.

Passion over everything

I remember when I was in the final days of secondary school where everyone created a slumbook, I jumped on the train too. At the page where the owner of the slumbook writes about him or herself, I wrote, I wanted to be a renowned author, that going to the university will just be to get a degree.

Am I a renowned author now? Not yet. I've got a couple of unpublished books (fiction), and three published books on Amazon Kindle (non-fiction & fiction).

When I graduated from University, I started searching for a job. This was not always the plan. I had so many plans.

My first plan was to be a housewife and an author. I always envisioned myself at home typing away with a typewriter, just like my sweetheart, Danielle Steel did. I'm yet to get married. So, this plan is still on hold.

The second plan was to work in the Federal Ministry like my mum. I've not seen someone enjoy a work-life balance like her. She is still working until this moment, though she has 2-3 years left. Do you know the extra allowances they paid during this covid19?

Government work is the best! But seems it's not yet time for general recruitment. Although I'll admit I've not taken out time to get a connection there.

Even the number my mum collected from Abuja, I'm yet to inquire about it. But if you must work in government, you'll need to be a prayer warrior. The kind of things that go on there? Hmm!

The third plan was an oil company. I was in my final year at university when my mind went there. That time I've started liking money and prestige.

I told my dad, he said he has a friend. That was how I was hoping until I passed my bus stop because of hope. The man retired before I finished NYSC. He couldn't even put his children there. And then he died due to liver complications.

I have never liked bank jobs, because back then, they had this uniform thing they wear, and I don't like such rules. So it was not an option. But when all my other cards were exhausted, I started considering it. I tried one.

The interview went well, the panel of three HR executives loved me. I remember the lady asking me if I use a contact lens. She was admiring me. Did I get the job, Nope! Why? I failed the personality test. And that's how I failed the personality tests of KPMG and PWC.

I have a weakness, or so I thought, when I fail at one thing, I don't attempt it again. I tried to overcome this weakness with PWC and applied again. Read all the personality test format. I was still unsuccessful.

I finally decided to try "unstructured organizations". I got a job at an IT company where I was managing all the administrative duties. From the front desk to customer service, project manager, social media manager, etc. At a point, they wanted to teach me graphic design.

Out of 30 days in a month, I'll surely miss at least 6 days. I hate routine, which may be the reason I've been failing personality tests.

It was a small company, but well connected. The CEO of the company's mum was a House of Rep member, so he had connections. At one time, I was managing her social media platforms and even created a Wikipedia page for her. I also got to meet her. She looked powerful in her pictures but quite nice in person.

The company was a stone throw to my house, 30 mins walk, 5 mins ride. But I dreaded going to work every day. I just couldn't bear the thought of relating physically with people and taking orders. I felt suffocated.

I had a friend in the office who was the only reason I kept going. But when he resigned, I started planning my exit strategy. I did resign after giving three weeks notice.

My boss kept asking me why. I said I wanted to try out writing. This was half true because I was also looking for a job that will pay me 200k like my colleague that left...lol.

I got a send-off party with a big cake. Nice people they were, but before I collected my salary for that month, it was a thug of war.

They've never owed before, I guess they saw no need to keep their integrity since I was leaving. But being the kind of person that doesn't tolerate nonsense, I forced the money from their hands.

After leaving the place, I started writing. Prior to this time, I asked some people about it. I came to discover people don't really know things top of their heads.

Don't ask people for information, research, and read about it. I remember I asked two people and they were clueless. Even the one that said he has been writing for years. I wonder what he has been writing.

Starting my freelance career was not rosy. I was a novice without a mentor, who didn't know the importance of in-depth research before testing uncertain waters.

I started with poor pay, but I didn't mind. I loved what I was doing and I was getting paid to learn new things.

You know, one of the reasons, I chose writing, again, is because when I started working in the corporate world, I felt I was becoming dull. I only knew about the company and its products. I had no time for any other thing.

While growing up, I thought of myself as an information gatherer. At every stage in my life, I had two exercise books, which I used in jotting down interesting facts. I have two right now.

I always loved going to the library and reading encyclopedias. The first time I read about the US and its Presidents was in my dad's official library.

I remember when I had a fall out with my teacher in secondary school and she will ask me to leave the class each time she came to teach, I'll go to the school's library. One day, I stumbled on the history of Nelson Mandela. It was so interesting I had to write it out.

Do you know that the question of Nelson Mandela came out in my second year in University and I answered it so well that I got a B? Other students got D and F.

If I had not read that history, I wouldn't have attempted that question because the man didn't teach it. And I only knew three out of the five-question the lecturer set.

There was also a particular class I didn't like attending in my third year of junior secondary, I'll go to the library instead.

I loved gathering information about the things I admired and intrigued me. But when I started working, I realized I didn't have time for my hobby, and I didn't know anything going on around me. I felt dull.

I knew I had to make a change. But how? I couldn't access libraries any longer. The company my dad worked for got privatized and the library and other benefits we enjoyed were shut down. I was out of school, and at that time, I didn't know of government libraries.

I never knew freelance writing will afford me the opportunity to enjoy my hobby once more.

I started writing, but the pay wasn't enough. So I applied for an editorial assistant job. Now, the agreement was that I'll go with the editor to interview entrepreneurs and celebrities, write articles for the company's blog and manage the social media page. I was to work remotely. This was a great job, why? Because I could work remotely. I didn't have to spend all day locked up in a cage.

I enjoyed the first few months of the job. I mean, I was interviewing celebrities and successful entrepreneurs, organizing shows and all. I have contacts that if I give online beggars they will be eternally grateful. But I had to stop. Why? Uncle was not upholding his side of the agreement, and I hate being cheated.

The plan was to interview, write, and update social platforms. Why are you asking me to go to unnecessary places when you can get the job done via email?

I've said it before, I don't tolerate nonsense. I left the job and concentrated on my writing, which was already picking up by then.

Freelancing is not easy, especially when you're writing and not outsourcing. There are lots of risks attached to it.

I remember when I registered on a writing platform, freelancer. I bid for jobs, and I got two offers. If I had known about outsourcing, I would have outsourced one right? Rather I ignored one and focused on the wrong one.

Do you know what the client did to me? First of all, he said we should communicate through Skype. I didn't know it wasn't permitted. It should have been a red flag for me.

I ended up writing about 20 articles only for the guy to disappear. It broke me. I almost gave up the thought of writing, if not for my passion. I prayed Psalm 109:8 for the guy o.

Can you imagine he came back asking that I should write one more article? According to him, the person that gave out the project said he won't pay until I've written it?

I just ignored him. When I saw RedPhoenix mentions, I laughed. Life comes with risks, but the question is, is it worth it?

If that experience didn't make me give up on writing, I doubt anything will. Writing is where I find peace and fulfillment.

When I didn't like going to work, I thought I was a lazy person. Well, I can be lazy sometimes. But writing brings out the strength in me.

I could stay awake for 36 hours, just to meet a deadline. The adrenaline rush is something I can't explain in words. Probably better than an org...asm.

I learn a lot, and some of the information has helped my personal life. I'll be forever grateful to myself for taking that step to try out freelance writing. Am I going to write a fiction soon? Definitely, while on vacation in Dubai or Paris. But now, I'm sticking to non-fiction.

When possible, ask for part payment before beginning any project. However, this might not work with a structured organization. But if it's structured, they won't scam you.

You don't have to wait for the job that comes with lots of dollars. You're wasting time and money ( I learned this recently). Do small writing jobs, but remember to keep bidding on big jobs. Don't let the small ones take all your time.

Read any thread or article about writing. Someone might spill info without intending to. Read comments on blogs. They contain lots of info that will help you.

Keep improving yourself. If you're not writing, make sure you're learning. However, the best way to learn is on the job. I learned SEO writing and sales copy on the job. That is why you shouldn't despise small jobs, they present more learning opportunities.

Have your own works. I don't know if you can write for someone better than you write for yourself. Have your blog posts, ebook, sales copy, and use them for samples too. But ensure you've published them somewhere.

Don't listen to naysayers. It's all about what you love doing, and not what people think you should be doing.

If you commit suicide from depression and frustration of doing what is in vogue, they will only type " Why now? He/she shouldn't have done it." And they will go back to their normal lives. Keep doing you, the haters can jog.

Live life for you and if anyone questions your decision, ignore them. They will soon come to accept you. This applies to everyone, irrespective of what you choose to do whether it's a chef, farmer, teacher, auditor, accountant, etc. Your sense of fulfillment is all that matters.

Lastly, don't spend all the money you earn. Reinvest it in yourself. You can start a writing agency, publishing company, further your education, get foreign exposure (LLC), invest in the stock, real estate, etc. This will also help upgrade your earning. I learned this the hard way.

I was in a relationship with someone who wanted me to get a job (like the one I was doing was play).

I was trying to prove to him that I was happy with the writing, and I was earning well too. I became extravagant. Don't do that, you don't need to prove yourself to anyone. Cut such people from your life. They will only distract you from your goal.

Also, understand that not everyone gets the concept of content writing, especially in Nigeria.

I had to take my time and explain to a CEO who gave me his card and asked for a proposal by the time I was done telling him all the wonderful things I could do for his company.
If you read to this point, I must congratulate you on your patience. Have a wonderful week. And remember, if you don't feel that burning fire in whatever you'reing, you're not living.

I read it all. Sub projects to me my lady
Re: Passion Over Everything- The first step to success by Nobody: 9:54pm On Jun 16, 2020
RedPhonix you didn't have to quote the whole writeup. You could have just typed out my moniker to get my attention.

I'll surely get in touch with you when I need help.
Re: Passion Over Everything- The first step to success by Nobody: 8:33pm On Jun 20, 2020
Nooil:

Passion over everything

If you read to this point, I must congratulate you on your patience. Have a wonderful week. And remember, if you don't feel that burning fire in whatever you're doing, you're not living.
Story bookgrin

1 Like

Re: Passion Over Everything- The first step to success by BrightForYou(m): 10:47pm On Jun 20, 2020
Nooil

This is superb. Thanks for sharing your story.
Please, how can I reach you? I'm going to need your help in some ways about writing.

Thanks.
Re: Passion Over Everything- The first step to success by Nobody: 5:32am On Jun 21, 2020
BrightForYou:
Nooil

This is superb. Thanks for sharing your story.
Please, how can I reach you? I'm going to need your help in some ways about writing.

Thanks.

Hi Bright, you can always send a dm
Re: Passion Over Everything- The first step to success by Genesils(m): 9:43am On Jun 21, 2020
Nice piece there... Very enlightening!

One other thing I've also come to notice about this profession is FOCUS and DEDICATION
Don't take writing as a side hustle or you might not make it big. Go all in!

1 Like

Re: Passion Over Everything- The first step to success by Nobody: 9:47am On Jun 21, 2020
Genesils:

One other thing I've also come to notice about this profession is FOCUS and DEDICATION

Exactly. You go hard or you go home. You must aim to become an expert to reap the fruits.

1 Like

Re: Passion Over Everything- The first step to success by BrightForYou(m): 12:17pm On Jun 21, 2020
Nooil:

Hi Bright, you can always send a dm
Thank you. Sent!
Re: Passion Over Everything- The first step to success by BrightForYou(m): 12:19pm On Jun 21, 2020
Genesils:

Deep.
Thanks for an another eye-opening tip.

1 Like

Re: Passion Over Everything- The first step to success by Nobody: 10:11pm On Jun 21, 2020
writers live from hand to mouth... sell something jaré.
write shaaa but do something else.

Everyone can write. it's just a side skill, look for something more joor !
Re: Passion Over Everything- The first step to success by Nobody: 3:57am On Jun 22, 2020
BadRadio:
writers live from hand to mouth... sell something jaré.

write shaaa but do something else.

Everyone can write. it's just a side skill, look for something more joor !

Oh really? I didn't know people like ladywriter and stagger live from hand to mouth.

If you read what I wrote, I'm sure you would have seen reinvest in yourself. But as usual, you go from thread to thread trying to get on my nerves. I'm slow to anger, but you don't want to get on my bad side.

Ps: I'm not referring to opera writers here okay?
Re: Passion Over Everything- The first step to success by Nobody: 8:50am On Jun 22, 2020
If you write only on the opera website, please try and do more with your life. The time you'll use in looking for people to click on your articles, you can use it to source for high paying clients.
Re: Passion Over Everything- The first step to success by Nobody: 10:13am On Jun 22, 2020
Nooil:

Oh really? I didn't know people like ladywriter and stagger live from hand to mouth.

If you read what I wrote, I'm sure you would have seen reinvest in yourself. But as usual, you go from thread to thread trying to get on my nerves. I'm slow to anger, but you don't want to get on my bad side.

shut up woman !
Re: Passion Over Everything- The first step to success by Nobody: 10:16am On Jun 22, 2020
Nooil:

...and dont talk about your bad side cos u don't know what I am capable of. okay? grin

(1) (Reply)

Join Halogen Cyber Security Hub / Reason Why People Change Jobs!(pic) / How I Made A Bag From Waste Nylon Bags

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 151
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.