Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,134 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:42 AM

How Much Is The Minimum Amount To Run Masters Degree In Canada - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / How Much Is The Minimum Amount To Run Masters Degree In Canada (7261 Views)

Which Is Better: Masters Degree In Australia Or Canada? / Minimum Amount Needed To Go To Canada / Things To Run Away From When You Are In Uyo, Akwa Ibom State (pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Much Is The Minimum Amount To Run Masters Degree In Canada by investorMK(m): 9:28am On Jun 16, 2020
How much will it cost to run masters degree in Canada..... Including transport, school fees, accommodation and any other expenses
Re: How Much Is The Minimum Amount To Run Masters Degree In Canada by babakb: 2:37pm On Jun 16, 2020
investorMK:
How much will it cost to run masters degree in Canada..... Including transport, school fees, accommodation and any other expenses

20 Million Naira
Re: How Much Is The Minimum Amount To Run Masters Degree In Canada by flyingpig: 4:03pm On Jun 16, 2020
babakb:

20 Million Naira

And with tuition waved or rendered free based on academic performance, can it drop to say 5million?

1 Like

Re: How Much Is The Minimum Amount To Run Masters Degree In Canada by babakb: 7:49pm On Jun 16, 2020
flyingpig:

And with tuition waved or rendered free based on academic performance, can it drop to say 5million?

If your MSC is tuition free in Canada, you will still need about 6 Million in your account to prove to the Visa Officer that you have the required living expense for the two years.
Re: How Much Is The Minimum Amount To Run Masters Degree In Canada by flyingpig: 9:39pm On Jun 16, 2020
babakb:

If your MSC is tuition free in Canada, you will still need about 6 Million in your account to prove to the Visa Officer that you have the required living expense for the two years.

Do you think that for a tuition-free Masters degree in America, that 6million naira in my account can convince the visa officer I can sustain myself?

Is 6million ok too for USA

1 Like

Re: How Much Is The Minimum Amount To Run Masters Degree In Canada by Ca4real: 5:48am On Jun 17, 2020
babakb:

Is there any tuition free M.sc in Canada?
Re: How Much Is The Minimum Amount To Run Masters Degree In Canada by babakb: 7:18am On Jun 17, 2020
flyingpig:

Do you think that for a tuition-free Masters degree in America, that 6million naira in my account can convince the visa officer I can sustain myself?

Is 6million ok too for USA

I don't know about US.
Re: How Much Is The Minimum Amount To Run Masters Degree In Canada by demmy79: 9:50am On Jun 17, 2020
babakb:

I don't know about US.
You can study less than 4millions in Canada it depends on d school
Re: How Much Is The Minimum Amount To Run Masters Degree In Canada by investorMK(m): 10:22am On Jun 17, 2020
Mod pls move this to front page..... We need more talk on this
Re: How Much Is The Minimum Amount To Run Masters Degree In Canada by ednut1(m): 10:30am On Jun 17, 2020
investorMK:
Mod pls move this to front page..... We need more talk on this
why not visit the website of the schools in canada. They state their fees there. Also research about cost of living in a year in the town. Behave like a literate person na.

4 Likes

Re: How Much Is The Minimum Amount To Run Masters Degree In Canada by Gerrard59(m): 11:20am On Jun 17, 2020
babakb:

If your MSC is tuition free in Canada, you will still need about 6 Million in your account to prove to the Visa Officer that you have the required living expense for the two years

No wonder 8 out of 10 prospective students from Nigeria are denied visas to study in Canada.

https://qz.com/africa/1708714/canada-rejects-most-african-student-visa-applicants/amp/

1 Like

Re: How Much Is The Minimum Amount To Run Masters Degree In Canada by flyingpig: 11:47am On Jun 17, 2020
Gerrard59:

No wonder 8 out of 10 prospective students from Nigeria are denied visas to study in Canada.

https://qz.com/africa/1708714/canada-rejects-most-african-student-visa-applicants/amp/

Lolz

I wonder the next country Nigerians will discover now that USA and Canada are out of the list.

I think Germany's free education is gaining more popularity within Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: How Much Is The Minimum Amount To Run Masters Degree In Canada by Gerrard59(m): 12:49pm On Jun 17, 2020
flyingpig:

Lolz

I wonder the next country Nigerians will discover now that USA and Canada are out of the list.

I think Germany's free education is gaining more popularity within Nigeria.

I think so too considering it's largely living expenses one has to fork out for. However, the queue to obtaining visas is extremely long and many have fears about racial discrimination even though discrimination of whatever kind will continue as far as human beings are concerned.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Much Is The Minimum Amount To Run Masters Degree In Canada by flyingpig: 12:55pm On Jun 17, 2020
Gerrard59:

I think so too considering it's largely living expenses one has to fork out for. [b]However, the queue to obtaining visas is extremely long [/b]and many have fears about racial discrimination even though discrimination of whatever kind will continue as far as human beings are concerned.

Then such person is not free to leave this hell hole.

Bro, oil won't ever rise above $50 per barrel again considering the massive investment into EV. And with Buhari's insane debt, Nigeria will become a desert after 2023.

Inflation will spike, minimum wage will be cut by any percent. Civil service will cut down recruitment. Salaries will be owed. More private establishments will be taxed. And ASUU strike won't be solved. How can you govern this country when the major revenue earner is losing relevance? This is what motivates me to jump shift. And the tough VISA hurdles won't discourage me. If A country declines I try B country. So long I migrate LEGITIMATELY and it is an economy where wealth can be made.

Concerning racial slurs, I am going there for money, and not to become a freedom fighter so it won't bother me. Words don't hurt me, not with tribalism all around me inside Nigeria.

So long there is avenue for the black man to make money legitimately, then your monkey chants are shait to me.

14 Likes

Re: How Much Is The Minimum Amount To Run Masters Degree In Canada by babakb: 1:37pm On Jun 17, 2020
Gerrard59:

On point.
Re: How Much Is The Minimum Amount To Run Masters Degree In Canada by Nobody: 2:05pm On Jun 17, 2020
flyingpig:

Bro, oil won't ever rise above $50 per barrel again considering the massive investment into EV. And with Buhari's insane debt, Nigeria will become a desert after 2023.

Inflation will spike, minimum wage will be cut by any percent. Civil service will cut down recruitment. Salaries will be owed. More private establishments will be taxed. And ASUU strike won't be solved. How can you govern this country when the major revenue earner is losing relevance? This is what motivates me to jump shift. And the tough VISA hurdles won't discourage me. If A country declines I try B country. So long I migrate LEGITIMATELY and it is an economy where wealth can be made.

Concerning racial slurs, I am going there for money, and not to become a freedom fighter so it won't bother me. Words don't hurt me, not with tribalism all around me inside Nigeria.

So long there is avenue for the black man to make money legitimately, then your monkey chants are shait to me.
Y not Canadian PR instead?
Re: How Much Is The Minimum Amount To Run Masters Degree In Canada by Gerrard59(m): 2:11pm On Jun 17, 2020
flyingpig:

Kudos! I love your analysis which is going to be the reality. No wonder a friend isn't optimistic of Nigeria's future in 2030 and beyond considering declining revenues. That said, we think alike.

3 Likes

Re: How Much Is The Minimum Amount To Run Masters Degree In Canada by babakb: 2:26pm On Jun 17, 2020
sherylbakky:
Y not Canadian PR instead?

Canada PR is too much wahala, for higher chances you must possess the following:
Be below 30 years
Have a masters degree
Have over 3 years professional working experience
Have 8 7 7 7 in IELTS
Have over 6M in your account as proof of funds
Anything less than these just forget it.

1 Like

Re: How Much Is The Minimum Amount To Run Masters Degree In Canada by babakb: 2:37pm On Jun 17, 2020
flyingpig:

Real man, myself I don't give a shiit about racism as long as I am making my dollars.

Another area which you can explore is becoming an ESL instructor e.g teach english as a second language.

Let me break it down, Countries like China, UAE, Singapore, Malaysia, Japan, South Korea, Hong Kong etc only employ native English speakers (real oyibo) to teach them English so you have zero chance there.

But countries like Vietnam, Russia, Thailand, Brazil, Costa Rica, Argentina etc will give you a chance if you obtain onsite TEFL or CELTA certification, for now average monthly salary is 1k USD.

Obtain a 3 months tourist visa and run any of the course in your preferred country for 6 weeks, 5k USD should cover everything, Visa, Tuition, Accommodation, Feeding and Transportation.

TEFL and CELTA bodies assist with job search for their onsite graduates.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Much Is The Minimum Amount To Run Masters Degree In Canada by tensazangetsu20(m): 3:38pm On Jun 17, 2020
babakb:

Real man, myself I don't give a shiit about racism as long as I am making my dollars.

Another area which you can explore is becoming an ESL instructor e.g teach english as a second language.

Let me break it down, Countries like China, UAE, Singapore, Malaysia, Japan, South Korea, Hong Kong etc only employ native English speakers (real oyibo) to teach them English so you have zero chance there.

But countries like Vietnam, Russia, Thailand, Brazil, Costa Rica, Argentina etc will give you a chance if you obtain onsite TEFL or CELTA certification, for now average monthly salary is 1k USD.

Obtain a 3 months tourist visa and run any of the course in your preferred country for 6 weeks, 5k USD should cover everything, Visa, Tuition, Accommodation, Feeding and Transportation.

TEFL and CELTA bodies assist with job search for their onsite graduates.
Singapore is English speaking O. The salaries in Hong Kong are amazing though. Western level salaries.

1 Like

Re: How Much Is The Minimum Amount To Run Masters Degree In Canada by Zigdore: 10:38pm On Jun 17, 2020
demmy79:
You can study less than 4millions in Canada it depends on d school

please guide me on this. I have been researching to find something around that figure.
Re: How Much Is The Minimum Amount To Run Masters Degree In Canada by babakb: 6:11am On Jun 18, 2020
Zigdore:

please guide me on this. I have been researching to find something around that figure.

Only Canadian citizens or PRs will study with 4M, international students must cough out 15 to 20 Million to study in Canada.

This is why we have high study visa denial rate, people will just package study visa with wrong information thinking that Visa Officers will just approve, they are very thorough and if you don't have funds for full tuition and living expenses plus a very strong ties to your home country they will just stamp your visa denial sharp sharp.

1 Like

Re: How Much Is The Minimum Amount To Run Masters Degree In Canada by Zigdore: 9:37pm On Jun 18, 2020
babakb:

Only Canadian citizens or PRs will study with 4M, international students must cough out 15 to 20 Million to study in Canada.

This is why we have high study visa denial rate, people will just package study visa with wrong information thinking that Visa Officers will just approve, they are very thorough and if you don't have funds for full tuition and living expenses plus a very strong ties to your home country they will just stamp your visa denial sharp sharp.

very clear now. Thank you.

I will consult u later about Canada. for advise.
can I pm u so we chat
Re: How Much Is The Minimum Amount To Run Masters Degree In Canada by capem9: 10:02pm On Jun 18, 2020
I think it depends on the university
Re: How Much Is The Minimum Amount To Run Masters Degree In Canada by VickyRotex(f): 1:41am On Jun 19, 2020
babakb:

Must? Where did you get this figure from?

I agree that some schools are more expensive than the other but dont make 15 million the bench mark.

The op is talking about Masters, not BSc that will run for upto 4yrs. I agree that most schools will cost up to that for Bsc. But for Masters you'll find schools with lesser tuition than 15m. (More like for even less than half of 15 million) even with living expenses et al, that's still on the high side for what you're expected to have.

Besides, PRs or Citizens don't cough out upto 4M unless for courses like MBA which some schools still have at lesser tuition cost for these 2 groups.

@Zigdore, dont let the 15M-20M figure scare you. You can find a school for way less, you just have to be ready to make research. It's true that the higher your proof of fund the better your chances of being approved a visa, but start first by looking out for schools that have what you'd like to study and map out their tuition costs, etc.

1 Like

Re: How Much Is The Minimum Amount To Run Masters Degree In Canada by babakb: 4:57am On Jun 19, 2020
VickyRotex:

Must? Where did you get this figure from?

I agree that some schools are more expensive than the other but dont make 15 million the bench mark.

The op is talking about Masters, not BSc that will run for upto 4yrs. I agree that most schools will cost up to that for Bsc. But for Masters you'll find schools with lesser tuition than 15m. (More like for even less than half of 15 million) even with living expenses et al, that's still on the high side for what you're expected to have.

Besides, PRs or Citizens don't cough out upto 4M unless for courses like MBA which some schools still have at lesser tuition cost for these 2 groups.

@Zigdore, dont let the 15M-20M figure scare you. You can find a school for way less, you just have to be ready to make research. It's true that the higher your proof of fund the better your chances of being approved a visa, but start first by looking out for schools that have what you'd like to study and map out their tuition costs, etc.

Guy, the cheapest University in Canada is Memorial University of New Foundland, please check their full tuition for MSC for International Students, other expenses plus proof of funds and tell me how much they amount to, its like you have forgotten that Naira is shiit now...
Re: How Much Is The Minimum Amount To Run Masters Degree In Canada by VickyRotex(f): 1:28pm On Jun 19, 2020
babakb:

Guy, the cheapest University in Canada is Memorial University of New Foundland, please check their full tuition for MSC for International Students, other expenses plus proof of funds and tell me how much they amount to, its like you have forgotten that Naira is shiit now...

I think you're missing my point. I'm not saying tuition fee or proof of fund cannot be upto 15M-20M, (infact it can be more than 20M, depending on one's school, cost of living, etc), my point is dont make it a benchmark and scare people off. It's a nice to have as POF, but yet I've seen VO's refuse people visa even after having a double of 20M as proof of funds, this is because there's more to a visa application (and more to what the VO's look out for) than POF.

I had my Masters in Canada and I didn't spend upto 10M for tuition. And I didn't attend Memorial University of NL (the supposedly cheapest school like you mentioned). Mine was even a very weird and brutal situation because I left the shores of Naija with CAD being about #145 to 1CAD, (gone are the days huh!) and in less than 3 months of arriving Canada it became about a double of #145. So imagine my tuition was a double of what I had planned, but it still did not get up to 10M. Now of course it would have increased with the dollar rate, but there are still schools with lesser tuition than the school I attended.

It's better for the op and the person you quoted to plan, but let's not discourage them about a figure that's likely not applicable to all situation.

That's all I will be saying about this,unless anyone has any question. Cheers!

7 Likes

Re: How Much Is The Minimum Amount To Run Masters Degree In Canada by Nobody: 2:20pm On Jun 19, 2020
Gerrard59:

I think so too considering it's largely living expenses one has to fork out for. However, the queue to obtaining visas is extremely long and many have fears about racial discrimination even though discrimination of whatever kind will continue as far as human beings are concerned.

Knowing the German language follow too. Without that you're on your own
Re: How Much Is The Minimum Amount To Run Masters Degree In Canada by Gerrard59(m): 10:35am On Jun 20, 2020
babakb:

Which is why I laugh when I see Canada coming top in polls on which country young Nigerians desire to study. Them plenty for Twitter and it's just so funny. Also, with the rising poverty and naira devaluation, to study abroad now and in the future go hard oh. I recall an article by an employee of McKinsey and Company who did her MBA at INSEAD (France) on the need to save for one's foreign education in dollars (aka domiciliary account) so as to guard against sudden devaluation. Oil prices aren't rising anytime soon let alone rise to 100$ per barrel (the most favourable for positive economic growth). My advise to folks who desire study abroad through self-sponsorship is to save in a foreign currency.

P.S. The person who I know that studies in Canada got sponsored by her uncles who work in Shell and ExxonMobil. When she entered, I cannot forget the laughter I had when she told me she plans returning after studies. However, she's done now and has gotten approval for post school visa. Fiam! She don japa! grin
Re: How Much Is The Minimum Amount To Run Masters Degree In Canada by flyingpig: 11:25am On Jun 20, 2020
Gerrard59:

Which is why I laugh when I see Canada coming top in polls on which country young Nigerians desire to study. Them plenty for Twitter and it's just so funny. Also, with the rising poverty and naira devaluation, to study abroad now and in the future go hard oh. I recall an article by an employee of McKinsey and Company who did her MBA at INSEAD (France) on the need to save for one's foreign education in dollars (aka domiciliary account) so as to guard against sudden devaluation. Oil prices aren't rising anytime soon let alone rise to 100$ per barrel (the most favourable for positive economic growth). My advise to folks who desire study abroad through self-sponsorship is to save in a foreign currency.

P.S. The person who I know that studies in Canada got sponsored by her uncles who work in Shell and ExxonMobil. When she entered, I cannot forget the laughter I had when she told me she plans returning after studies. However, she's done now and has gotten approval for post school visa. Fiam! She don japa! grin

She got back to Naija??

Why If I may ask. It's important to know why.

Many say its because jobs are tough to find in Canada or because Canada is too lonely or boring unlike USA.

(1) (2) (Reply)

FRSC Bans Night Travels For Petrol Drivers / Migrating To Seychelle / Direction From Iyana-ipaja To Surulere

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.