Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,260 members, 7,822,317 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 09:57 AM

Is A Career In Cyber Security Worth It? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is A Career In Cyber Security Worth It? (861 Views)

Should I Take CFA Exams And Is It Worth It? / Government Work Is Not Worth It After All / How To Start A Career In Information Technology As A Novice In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is A Career In Cyber Security Worth It? by Enculer: 8:42pm On Jun 16, 2020
Hello All,

I would like to find out from people who are cyber security professionals. Please tell me what your experience has been. What are career prospects like? I ask this because I have seen plenty of people with certificates and some with experience but no job. During the COVID-19 pandemic, I have seen a number of cyber contacts go into the labour market and many are looking for jobs - kind of scary especially as the narative is that cyber security field is in need of hands - maybe they mean 'really really experienced hands'.

Another thing I observe is that most entry level jobs I see ask for like 5 years experience. How do you get around that? I have even seen a entry level job in the states that required CISSP - I mean CISSP requires a minimum of 5 years experience on its own.

Certificates open doors for you but experience will keep you in but then how does one break into the cyber security world from say electrical engineering?

Lastly I sense some 'elitist' thing with cyber security. I might be wrong but it is like the field is populated by smarty pants.

Please share your exprience and advice for someone planning to break into this field.
Re: Is A Career In Cyber Security Worth It? by Casan0va: 8:47pm On Jun 16, 2020
I actually bought a Cybersecurity course on Udemy but i am yet to complete it till now.

And now i'm seeing the experience stuff. Nna nawa o
Re: Is A Career In Cyber Security Worth It? by chatinent: 8:55pm On Jun 16, 2020
Personally, I advise people to have an alternate source of income to main jobs. You never can tell.
Re: Is A Career In Cyber Security Worth It? by Enculer: 9:29pm On Jun 16, 2020
chatinent:
Personally, I advise people to have an alternate source of income to main jobs. You never can tell.

That is a great advice. The reason I feel Cyber Security skills could be good skills to acquire. I was just wanting to hear from personal experiences.

What the world of cyber security is like.
Re: Is A Career In Cyber Security Worth It? by chatinent: 9:37pm On Jun 16, 2020
Enculer:

That is a great advice. The reason I feel Cyber Security skills could be good skills to acquire. I was just wanting to hear from personal experiences.

What the world of cyber security is like.
Life security matters, bro.
Re: Is A Career In Cyber Security Worth It? by Nobody: 3:04am On Jun 17, 2020
Yes op a career in cybersecurity can open so many doors for you.

Cc Timbers
Re: Is A Career In Cyber Security Worth It? by Timbers(m): 3:16am On Jun 17, 2020
Yes op there are vast opportunities in cybersecurity
Re: Is A Career In Cyber Security Worth It? by WoundedLamb: 11:44pm On Sep 13, 2020
OP, CS is great but can we talk about your name for a second? What language is that? I'm asking cause it's extremely vulgar in mine (French).

(1) (Reply)

Use This To Get Paid On Whatsapp - Whoever You Are / Websites For Professional Bodies / About Access Bank And Their Staff Cars

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.