Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,699 members, 7,820,438 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:49 PM

490 New COVID-19 Cases, 274 Discharged And 31 Deaths On June 16 - (7397 Tested) - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 490 New COVID-19 Cases, 274 Discharged And 31 Deaths On June 16 - (7397 Tested) (43359 Views)

667 New COVID-19 Cases, 274 Discharged And 12 Deaths On June 19 -(2504 Tested) / 663 New COVID-19 Cases, 166 Discharged And 4 Deaths On June 9 - (2987 Tested) / 288 New COVID-19 Cases, 1240 Tested, 140 Discharged And 3 Deaths On May 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 490 New COVID-19 Cases, 274 Discharged And 31 Deaths On June 16 - (7397 Tested) by Ajibel(m): 4:31am On Jun 17, 2020
Godpikin4real:
Really? tongue cool cool

so you havent heard of breakyourownnews?
dumbo
Re: 490 New COVID-19 Cases, 274 Discharged And 31 Deaths On June 16 - (7397 Tested) by Joefat: 4:41am On Jun 17, 2020
CanadaOrBust:
31 deaths??!
How come we never see photos like the one below about 9ja corona patients??

The New York Times

By Benjamin Mueller and Roni Caryn RabIn
June16, 2020

Common Drug Reduces Coronavirus Deaths, Scientists Report

A steroid, dexamethasone, is the first drug shown to help save severely ill coronavirus patients, according to scientists in Britain.

LONDON — In an unexpected sign of hope amid the expanding pandemic, scientists at the University of Oxford said on Tuesday that an inexpensive and commonly available drug reduced deaths in patients with severe Covid-19, the illness caused by the coronavirus.

If the finding is borne out, the drug, a steroid called dexamethasone, would be the first treatment shown to reduce mortality in severely ill patients. Had doctors been using the drug to treat the sickest Covid-19 patients in Britain from the beginning of the pandemic, up to 5,000 deaths could have been prevented, the researchers estimated.

In severe cases, the virus directly attacks cells lining the patient’s airways and lungs. But the infection also can prompt an overwhelming immune reaction that is just as harmful. Three-quarters of hospitalized Covid-19 patients receive some form of oxygen.

The drug appears to reduce inflammation caused by the immune system, protecting the tissues. In the study, dexamethasone reduced deaths of patients on ventilators by one-third, and deaths of patients on oxygen by one-fifth.

The trial led by Dr. Horby was a randomized, controlled clinical trial, the gold standard for medical research. About 2,100 severely ill Covid-19 patients were given low doses of dexamethasone, orally or intravenously, once a day. Their outcomes were compared with 4,300 patients who had received the usual care.

The trial was stopped early, because the investigators felt that the benefit was obvious. But they said that the drug did not help moderately ill patients who were not receiving oxygen.

Oga u have problem with this your episode comment..
Re: 490 New COVID-19 Cases, 274 Discharged And 31 Deaths On June 16 - (7397 Tested) by CanadaOrBust: 5:03am On Jun 17, 2020
Joefat:

Oga u have problem with this your episode comment..

Oga why don’t u tell us what problem u have
Re: 490 New COVID-19 Cases, 274 Discharged And 31 Deaths On June 16 - (7397 Tested) by EmekaBlue(m): 5:11am On Jun 17, 2020
Lowest price in abuja. Available in large quantity.

Quote me if interested

Re: 490 New COVID-19 Cases, 274 Discharged And 31 Deaths On June 16 - (7397 Tested) by Nobody: 5:45am On Jun 17, 2020
omat20:
Sanwo-Olu should just lock us down. Lagosians no dey hear word. We will soon reach 10k cases be the end of the week
May heaven lockdown you and your family indefinitely since that's what you wish for.
Re: 490 New COVID-19 Cases, 274 Discharged And 31 Deaths On June 16 - (7397 Tested) by Nobody: 5:48am On Jun 17, 2020
References:

https://twitter.com/NCDCgov/status/1273027750392102912?s=19

https://covid19.ncdc.gov.ng/

Covid419: Scamdemic, Plandemic or Scamplandemic?

-- We can mingle during the day but there is curfew at night. Does the virus sleep during the day?

-- You open markets but close schools. Is market imuned to the virus?

-- Washing hands, using facemask, social distancing, stay at home, etc. If one works, why asking us to practice all these inside the house of God.

-- There are about 10k 'active cases' of covid419 patients in Nigeria. Where and where did they keep them?

-- Since we must copy the Western countries in everything except in giving palliatives. Now that their figures are decreasing, why is our own increasing?

My take: there is no more Covid19 but Covid419. Polithiefcians and ever corrupt civil servants should please continue to steal our commonwealth but release us to struggle for our daily bread. We are not depending on government for anything whatsoever. Thank you.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 490 New COVID-19 Cases, 274 Discharged And 31 Deaths On June 16 - (7397 Tested) by Phyde: 6:14am On Jun 17, 2020
Divinenwa:
With all those guideline the thing just de increase
Guidelines can never work on a corrupt system.
Re: 490 New COVID-19 Cases, 274 Discharged And 31 Deaths On June 16 - (7397 Tested) by ceejayluv(m): 6:49am On Jun 17, 2020
Godpikin4real:
Really? tongue cool cool

Please stop sharing such obviously fake photoshops....
Re: 490 New COVID-19 Cases, 274 Discharged And 31 Deaths On June 16 - (7397 Tested) by ceejayluv(m): 6:51am On Jun 17, 2020
grossintel:
To be honest, in as much as I believe the numbers aren't real, I know someone who got the virus and battling with he's life. Please people should be careful!
The numbers are underreported. It's clearly far beyond that

1 Like

Re: 490 New COVID-19 Cases, 274 Discharged And 31 Deaths On June 16 - (7397 Tested) by Nobody: 6:52am On Jun 17, 2020
I wonder if NCDC did an Impact Assessment of Covid-19 on an average Nigerian before blindly copying the measures adopted by the Oyibo man.

Annoyingly, they left out Palliatives.

1 Like

Re: 490 New COVID-19 Cases, 274 Discharged And 31 Deaths On June 16 - (7397 Tested) by zionema(m): 6:53am On Jun 17, 2020
Thanks to God Edo state did not feature on the list
Re: 490 New COVID-19 Cases, 274 Discharged And 31 Deaths On June 16 - (7397 Tested) by ceejayluv(m): 6:53am On Jun 17, 2020
Ajibel:

Can you explain how they're using it to steal public funds, thanks
Abeg ask him oo. Paranoid folks are an interesting lot.
Re: 490 New COVID-19 Cases, 274 Discharged And 31 Deaths On June 16 - (7397 Tested) by PowerOfLove: 7:04am On Jun 17, 2020
Did anybody see '31 deaths' on June 16?
Re: 490 New COVID-19 Cases, 274 Discharged And 31 Deaths On June 16 - (7397 Tested) by Enugupikin: 7:09am On Jun 17, 2020
LeiderJa:

Resident doctors association are the ones that declared strike on Monday 15th. Not house officers or consultants. Google ARD.

If there's need for a doctor, there will be provision because resident doctors are not the only doctors in the land.

Again, the ministry of health is not really in charge of the cases. Rather it's the agency for disease control (NCDC). This is why you won't find isolation centres in hospitals. Rather in spaces or stadiums allocated by the government.

I've witnessed an ARD strike before and the only thing that changed was increased work effort from consultants and house officers. There are also general practitioners who are in the system.

The people that do tests in medicine are called medical lab scientists. They are obviously not on strike.

The lab scientists are the guys with the technical know-how to handle the lab equipments not the resident doctors.

Lastly if there's any strain on the healthcare quality by the strike action, it won't be noticeable right now because they just began on Monday

It seems you're the one with little knowledge of what's going on.
U
Re: 490 New COVID-19 Cases, 274 Discharged And 31 Deaths On June 16 - (7397 Tested) by ceejayluv(m): 7:15am On Jun 17, 2020
Enugupikin:

Lol..you're still ignorant..I'm a resident Dr myself and our NARD president and secretary are from my teaching hospital, I'm telling u that houseofficers are part of us resident drs by association..We were shared on duties for the management of COVID19 of which I was among..some of my colleagues who are also resident drs contracted the virus but have now fully recovered...even in the main hospital where I work the consultants even barely come around, resident drs do the surgeries, and without them the consultants won't even book for a procedure..I don't know when someone is explaining something to you guys who don't even know what is happening you keep basking in ignorance undecided

You both are in the Same line of argument Generally... It's that other man that claimed all doctors are on strike therefore nobody is managing covid patients that is the ignorant one.
Re: 490 New COVID-19 Cases, 274 Discharged And 31 Deaths On June 16 - (7397 Tested) by Enugupikin: 7:20am On Jun 17, 2020
ceejayluv:

You both are in the Same line of argument Generally... It's that other man that claimed all doctors are on strike therefore nobody is managing covid patients that is the ignorant one.
Even this guy ..he claims houseofficers are working with consultants BC they're not part of resident drs...he doesn't know that by association houseofficers are part of us and go to strike with us just as I speak now...and if he had known very well he would understand the resident drs are the engine of the hospital and not even consultants who barely come around,..let me even shock u, most of those consultants haven't even be coming to work since COVID19, most are elderly and are afraid, the young resident drs run the show.
I was also trying to correct his misconceptions that resident drs don't work in isolation centres..in our centre here we had a duty roster of which I have been working there too(two weeks in and two weeks out)..some of colleagues who contracted COVID19 have now recovered. smiley
Re: 490 New COVID-19 Cases, 274 Discharged And 31 Deaths On June 16 - (7397 Tested) by Saintinoo(m): 7:25am On Jun 17, 2020
Gibsonworld05:
Doctors on Covid-19 duty are exempted from the strike.
Oga dem follow..
Re: 490 New COVID-19 Cases, 274 Discharged And 31 Deaths On June 16 - (7397 Tested) by Saintinoo(m): 7:28am On Jun 17, 2020
LeiderJa:

Ncdc is handling the cases not resident doctors.

Moreover there are consultants and house officers. I think the reported cases are lower than actual figures because we use a slow method of testing and also because an average Nigerian will hide his symptoms.
Please NCDC do not treat coronavirus patients, the state government does that through their doctors.

1 Like

Re: 490 New COVID-19 Cases, 274 Discharged And 31 Deaths On June 16 - (7397 Tested) by padresolomon: 7:30am On Jun 17, 2020
Galactico4ever:
Lol.Resident Doctors are on strike and healthcare personnels are running away from duty.Who is now testing and treating these patients?The virus is real,yes, but Covid19 in Nigeria is really a fraud and a medium for embezzling public funds.

Stop displaying your ignorance in public
Re: 490 New COVID-19 Cases, 274 Discharged And 31 Deaths On June 16 - (7397 Tested) by ceejayluv(m): 7:41am On Jun 17, 2020
Enugupikin:

Even this guy ..he claims houseofficers are working with consultants BC they're not part of resident drs...he doesn't know that by association houseofficers are part of us and go to strike with us just as I speak now...and if he had known very well he would understand the resident drs are the engine of the hospital and not even consultants who barely come around,..let me even shock u, most of those consultants haven't even be coming to work since COVID19, most are elderly and are afraid, the young resident drs run the show.
I was also trying to correct his misconceptions that resident drs don't work in isolation centres..in our centre here we had a duty roster of which I have been working there too(two weeks in and two weeks out)..some of colleagues who contracted COVID19 have now recovered. smiley

Good to know. It's a pity many Nigerians don't still believe the virus is spreading here. I guess the health sector may have to do more in sensitisation.
Is there any law forbidding news reporters from recording Intensive care patients even if it's to blur their faces And details. People have to see what is happening, not just hear.
Re: 490 New COVID-19 Cases, 274 Discharged And 31 Deaths On June 16 - (7397 Tested) by Nobody: 7:42am On Jun 17, 2020
NCDC and APC are twins. The only thing they know is how to increase numbers.
Must they rig in everything? Na WA o, all these things for the money.
Re: 490 New COVID-19 Cases, 274 Discharged And 31 Deaths On June 16 - (7397 Tested) by PowerOfLove: 7:45am On Jun 17, 2020
31 deaths...that is where I am really afraid. Can they give us figures per state? Lumping them together and giving us total figure is not helping matters. Let them give us the break down of fatality per state. This way, people will know which state is having the highest death toll and they will be more serious about it.
Re: 490 New COVID-19 Cases, 274 Discharged And 31 Deaths On June 16 - (7397 Tested) by Liposure: 8:02am On Jun 17, 2020
And some people say its not real
Re: 490 New COVID-19 Cases, 274 Discharged And 31 Deaths On June 16 - (7397 Tested) by SirWarlock: 8:38am On Jun 17, 2020
DamZik:
Covid419: Scamdemic, Plandemic or Scamplandemic?

-- We can mingle during the day but there is curfew at night. Does the virus sleep during the day?

-- You open markets but close schools. Is market imuned to the virus?

-- Washing hands, using facemask, social distancing, stay at home, etc. If one works, why asking us to practice all these inside the house of God.

-- There are about 10k 'active cases' of covid419 patients in Nigeria. Where and where did they keep them?

-- Since we must copy the Western countries in everything except in giving palliatives. Now that their figures are decreasing, why is our own increasing?

My take: there is no more Covid19 but Covid419. Polithiefcians and ever corrupt civil servants should please continue to steal our commonwealth but release us to struggle for our daily bread. We are not depending on government for anything whatsoever. Thank you.
The numbers are still going up worldwide
Re: 490 New COVID-19 Cases, 274 Discharged And 31 Deaths On June 16 - (7397 Tested) by chukasson(m): 8:45am On Jun 17, 2020
be showing us photos of the deceased......USA and UK showed us photos of Nigerians that died in their country.....keep giving us audio.....foolish country....31 death my foot!!!!
Re: 490 New COVID-19 Cases, 274 Discharged And 31 Deaths On June 16 - (7397 Tested) by LeiderJa: 8:46am On Jun 17, 2020
Enugupikin:

Lol..you're still ignorant..I'm a resident Dr myself and our NARD president and secretary are from my teaching hospital, I'm telling u that houseofficers are part of us resident drs by association..We were shared on duties for the management of COVID19 of which I was among..some of my colleagues who are also resident drs contracted the virus but have now fully recovered...even in the main hospital where I work the consultants even barely come around, resident drs do the surgeries, and without them the consultants won't even book for a procedure..I don't know when someone is explaining something to you guys who don't even know what is happening you keep basking in ignorance undecided

See why Nigerians fail IELTS?

Go over my epistle, understand it and come back. How does the strike by doctors affect testing when the people testing are lab scientists.

Even your posts on nairaland are littered with Palm wine tapper vocabulary which is sad for a doctor. I weep for your patients (that's if you're even a doctor)

I will no longer be answering you since you're averse to education.
Re: 490 New COVID-19 Cases, 274 Discharged And 31 Deaths On June 16 - (7397 Tested) by Enugupikin: 8:56am On Jun 17, 2020
LeiderJa:

See why Nigerians fail IELTS?

Go over my epistle, understand it and come back. How does the strike by doctors affect testing when the people testing are lab scientists.

Even your posts on nairaland are littered with Palm wine tapper vocabulary which is sad for a doctor. I weep for your patients (that's if you're even a doctor)

I will no longer be answering you since you're averse to education.
I have bursted his lies and he has come down to testing and name calling grin grin grin grin
When ignorant People write ,one certainly knows because they have nothing to talk about but resort to name calling...I'm happy I have schooled u without u paying a kobo..go and sin no more....

So na only testing of patients them de do for isolation centre? And after testing they're left like that? cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy...sorry for correcting your lies, u must be one bitter johesu(med lab scientist) coconut head grin grin grin
Re: 490 New COVID-19 Cases, 274 Discharged And 31 Deaths On June 16 - (7397 Tested) by UKkev: 9:12am On Jun 17, 2020
kenzysmith:
na today
stop deceiving yourself
Re: 490 New COVID-19 Cases, 274 Discharged And 31 Deaths On June 16 - (7397 Tested) by Vicvalentine: 9:40am On Jun 17, 2020
LeiderJa:

There was a time that 1000 people died per day in the UK. Google Ecuador covid pictures and see corpses outside in the street. Before a death is ruled as covid, they'll take samples and do test. This will help them to know whether to test the relatives of the person or not.

So if a sample shows that someone has covid19 and then died of cancer , they’ll still tag it a Covid 19 death.
How sure are that the equipment ain’t already made to positive results
Re: 490 New COVID-19 Cases, 274 Discharged And 31 Deaths On June 16 - (7397 Tested) by Investnow2017: 9:43am On Jun 17, 2020
Enugupikin:

I have bursted his lies and he has come down to testing and name calling grin grin grin grin
When ignorant People write ,one certainly knows because they have nothing to talk about but resort to name calling...I'm happy I have schooled u without u paying a kobo..go and sin no more....

So na only testing of patients them de do for isolation centre? And after testing they're left like that? cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy...sorry for correcting your lies, u must be one bitter johesu(med lab scientist) coconut head grin grin grin

Dear can you tell us what your typical is like at your centre. Your narration will interest a lot of folks. Really good to know that you are one of those on the frontline. Kudos dear. Please share your experience with us. Hope I am not asking too much. Thanks
Re: 490 New COVID-19 Cases, 274 Discharged And 31 Deaths On June 16 - (7397 Tested) by maasoap(m): 9:44am On Jun 17, 2020
Galactico4ever:
Lol.Resident Doctors are on strike and healthcare personnels are running away from duty.Who is now testing and treating these patients?The virus is real,yes, but Covid19 in Nigeria is really a fraud and a medium for embezzling public funds.

Tag it anything you like, you will soon wake up to reality. 30 covid-19 deaths yesterday, that should mean something to sensible nairalanders.

LeiderJa:

Ncdc is handling the cases not resident doctors.

Moreover there are consultants and house officers. I think the reported cases are lower than actual figures because we use a slow method of testing and also because an average Nigerian will hide his symptoms.

The truth is that I'm beginning to suspect some people around me, outside my home. One needs to cut down on going out frequently as many people are now showing different symptoms like that of malaria, catarrh, loss of sense of smell and taste. I'm not even living in Abuja, Lagos, Kano or Oyo States. This thing is silently spreading like fire

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

#Nobraday: Five Quick Ways To Firm Your Breasts Naturally / Five Common Nigerian Home Remedies And Their Uses / 573 New COVID-19 Cases, 129 Discharged And 4 Deaths On June 15 - (2079 Tested)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.