Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,560 members, 7,955,080 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 04:22 PM

490 New COVID-19 Cases, 274 Discharged And 31 Deaths On June 16 - (7397 Tested) - Health (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 490 New COVID-19 Cases, 274 Discharged And 31 Deaths On June 16 - (7397 Tested) (43579 Views)

667 New COVID-19 Cases, 274 Discharged And 12 Deaths On June 19 -(2504 Tested) / 663 New COVID-19 Cases, 166 Discharged And 4 Deaths On June 9 - (2987 Tested) / 288 New COVID-19 Cases, 1240 Tested, 140 Discharged And 3 Deaths On May 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 490 New COVID-19 Cases, 274 Discharged And 31 Deaths On June 16 - (7397 Tested) by Enugupikin: 10:09am On Jun 17, 2020
Investnow2017:

Dear can you tell us what your typical is like at your centre. Your narration will interest a lot of folks. Really good to know that you are one of those on the frontline. Kudos dear. Please share your experience with us. Hope I am not asking too much. Thanks
Well, my center got filled up but the hospital has to quickly set up another isolation centre... majority of the patients are actually kept under strict observation and are fed by the government...only very few(I mean few) get complicated and those are usually aged and have other co-morbidities..So those ones are giving palliative care and certain drugs(which I won't talk about here)...most of our patients aren't even needing ventilators..but suffice to say that majority of the young people have no symptoms to having mild symptoms like anosmia, rhinorrhea and cough but on the other hand just like I said before some of the elderly with co-morbidities can actually get bad..in anycase isolating people isn't a good experience for them..so everyone should try to abide by the NCDC guidelines but COVID19 is never a death sentence

1 Like

Re: 490 New COVID-19 Cases, 274 Discharged And 31 Deaths On June 16 - (7397 Tested) by AFONJAPIG(m): 10:14am On Jun 17, 2020
Jelzin2412:

Where and where did it end pls? Cos I still see up 120k cases per day globally. Perhaps I can get acquainted with the place u got your own statistics.
check Taiwan please
Re: 490 New COVID-19 Cases, 274 Discharged And 31 Deaths On June 16 - (7397 Tested) by God2man2again(m): 11:12am On Jun 17, 2020
The increase in number of cases in Lagos could be from a particular area.
Re: 490 New COVID-19 Cases, 274 Discharged And 31 Deaths On June 16 - (7397 Tested) by Investnow2017: 11:21am On Jun 17, 2020
Enugupikin:

Well, my center got filled up but the hospital has to quickly set up another isolation centre... majority of the patients are actually kept under strict observation and are fed by the government...only very few(I mean few) get complicated and those are usually aged and have other co-morbidities..So those ones are giving palliative care and certain drugs(which I won't talk about here)...most of our patients aren't even needing ventilators..but suffice to say that majority of the young people have no symptoms to having mild symptoms like anosmia, rhinorrhea and cough but on the other hand just like I said before some of the elderly with co-morbidities can actually get bad..in anycase isolating people isn't a good experience for them..so everyone should try to abide by the NCDC guidelines but COVID19 is never a death sentence
Thanks for your kind response. Do you think those screaming scam and audio really have good reasons to do so? I know though about the medical ethics regarding patient confidentiality, but do you think it is out of place for the govt to do a video deliberately blurring the faces of those on intensive care? Remember this is a pandemic. You see 31 deaths have been reported and some think it was merely a contrived figure (really absurd to think that way really). What is your general assessment of the handling of the pandemic? Hope I am not stressing you?
Re: 490 New COVID-19 Cases, 274 Discharged And 31 Deaths On June 16 - (7397 Tested) by Investnow2017: 11:22am On Jun 17, 2020
AFONJAPIG:
check Taiwan please
What exactly has Nigeria done to reduce the figures or eradicate the pandemic like Taiwan?
Re: 490 New COVID-19 Cases, 274 Discharged And 31 Deaths On June 16 - (7397 Tested) by astonished: 11:26am On Jun 17, 2020
ADUBA1:

While are you people always doubt everything government even when your life is endangered. For your info doctors involved in covid19 care were exempted from the strike and the test are not necessarily carried in hospital e.g African center for excellence is not a hospital but a testing centre. Other health workers are not on strike. Consultants are not also on strike

I am sure you are one of the benefitiary of this covid-419,

police on the highway

1 Like

Re: 490 New COVID-19 Cases, 274 Discharged And 31 Deaths On June 16 - (7397 Tested) by Enugupikin: 11:45am On Jun 17, 2020
Investnow2017:

Thanks for your kind response. Do you think those screaming scam and audio really have good reasons to do so? I know though about the medical ethics regarding patient confidentiality, but do you think it is out of place for the govt to do a video deliberately blurring the faces of those on intensive care? Remember this is a pandemic. You see 31 deaths have been reported and some think it was merely a contrived figure (really absurd to think that way really). What is your general assessment of the handling of the pandemic? Hope I am not stressing you?
Is a great discussion and I don't mind.
Well I think those screaming scam is based on the fact that some of them haven't seen anyone directly infected with COVID19, that alone is ignorance and I don't think ignorance is an excuse, Afterall how many people here have visited Washington DC to know is the capital of the USA or Beijing to know if it is truly the capital of China.Of course not everyone but we have this information. The government on the other hand isn't so keen in publicity and I guess part of the reasons is not to put so much fear on the citizens(which I think isn't personally enough). But there are pictures and videos of COVID19 patients in Nigeria allover the country but people think is scam because most of those patients dance and look physically ok, I think the events in Italy and Spain make people think we are not having the real COVID19.But I think a lot of factors are at play here, because Nigeria has a very high young population compared to abroad in which a handful of the population is elderly..let's take for instance in Kaduna where 80% of those infected were Almajirii kids, all of them recovered without even knowing they had COVID19..
Well on the general assessment of handling the pandemic, I think the NCDC is really doing a great job..Dr Chikwe should be highly commended but I think the government isn't looking into the welfare of healthcare providers which isn't good and part of the reasons resident drs went on strike to fight for all because even the the medical laboratory scientists will also benefit and nurses...the government should have a health insurance for us because we have families who love us too .

3 Likes

Re: 490 New COVID-19 Cases, 274 Discharged And 31 Deaths On June 16 - (7397 Tested) by AFONJAPIG(m): 12:05pm On Jun 17, 2020
Investnow2017:

What exactly has Nigeria done to reduce the figures or eradicate the pandemic like Taiwan?
you are asking me
Re: 490 New COVID-19 Cases, 274 Discharged And 31 Deaths On June 16 - (7397 Tested) by Investnow2017: 12:30pm On Jun 17, 2020
Enugupikin:

Is a great discussion and I don't mind.
Well I think those screaming scam is based on the fact that some of them haven't seen anyone directly infected with COVID19, that alone is ignorance and I don't think ignorance is an excuse, Afterall how many people here have visited Washington DC to know is the capital of the USA or Beijing to know if it is truly the capital of China.Of course not everyone but we have this information. The government on the other hand isn't so keen in publicity and I guess part of the reasons is not to put so much fear on the citizens(which I think isn't personally enough). But there are pictures and videos of COVID19 patients in Nigeria allover the country but people think is scam because most of those patients dance and look physically ok, I think the events in Italy and Spain make people think we are not having the real COVID19.But I think a lot of factors are at play here, because Nigeria has a very high young population compared to abroad in which a handful of the population is elderly..let's take for instance in Kaduna where 80% of those infected were Almajirii kids, all of them recovered without even knowing they had COVID19..
Well on the general assessment of handling the pandemic, I think the NCDC is really doing a great job..Dr Chikwe should be highly commended but I think the government isn't looking into the welfare of healthcare providers which isn't good and part of the reasons resident drs went on strike to fight for all because even the the medical laboratory scientists will also benefit and nurses...the government should have a health insurance for us because we have families who love us too .
Oh thanks. How many in your centre have succumbed to this virus to the best of your knowledge? Do you have idea how the deceased are buried?
Yes, I do know though that more than 90% of Covid-19 patients in Nigeria are mild to moderate, only few are really serious or critical. From your personal experience thus far, how do you think this pandemic can be eradicated in Nigeria, although I do know that that is a tough call? I have this strong belief that NCDC should work hard to kill the 'virus' of disbelief which has made many to disregard any form of containment measures put in place, if they want to succeed. Because I can tell that majority of Nigerians even among the literate have serious doubt about the honesty of the government regarding this pandemic. We live in an age where seeing is believing. These days even when you suspect that there is a ghost, people want to see the "picture or video" cheesy That is what the digital age has led us to.
I commend you all the frontline workers. It aches when you come to find out that while your colleagues were celebrated abroad, you are instead even ridiculed here. Sad. Well it is a call nevertheless. Thanks for your time. It seems you are not on duty today. I am just hazarding a guess cheesy
Re: 490 New COVID-19 Cases, 274 Discharged And 31 Deaths On June 16 - (7397 Tested) by ceejayluv(m): 12:35pm On Jun 17, 2020
Vicvalentine:

So if a sample shows that someone has covid19 and then died of cancer , they’ll still tag it a Covid 19 death.

How sure are that the equipment ain’t already made to positive results
Of course, the immune system was compromised And the covid accelerated the death. That's the same way HIV works.
Re: 490 New COVID-19 Cases, 274 Discharged And 31 Deaths On June 16 - (7397 Tested) by LeiderJa: 12:50pm On Jun 17, 2020
Vicvalentine:

So if a sample shows that someone has covid19 and then died of cancer , they’ll still tag it a Covid 19 death.
How sure are that the equipment ain’t already made to positive results

Our equipments are made to detect the virus with high accuracy but low speed.

If a cancer patient who is in terminal stage gets the virus, don't you think the virus will finish the person off? The immune system is already down. Also if a person dies, the issue is not to increase statistics but to find out if the person had covid and whether to isolate the families
Re: 490 New COVID-19 Cases, 274 Discharged And 31 Deaths On June 16 - (7397 Tested) by FLYFIRE(m): 12:54pm On Jun 17, 2020
SCAM

Re: 490 New COVID-19 Cases, 274 Discharged And 31 Deaths On June 16 - (7397 Tested) by AmTruth: 12:57pm On Jun 17, 2020
What is happening down South South in this report. Rivers, Bayelsa, Delta all in the top.

Hmmmmn.
Re: 490 New COVID-19 Cases, 274 Discharged And 31 Deaths On June 16 - (7397 Tested) by Nobody: 12:58pm On Jun 17, 2020
Enough this naw... Haba too much of everything is bad angry
Re: 490 New COVID-19 Cases, 274 Discharged And 31 Deaths On June 16 - (7397 Tested) by Ayobami7(m): 1:02pm On Jun 17, 2020
hmmmm
Re: 490 New COVID-19 Cases, 274 Discharged And 31 Deaths On June 16 - (7397 Tested) by gambia(m): 1:04pm On Jun 17, 2020
May God will see us through, I lost a loved one to the virus as well. cry
Re: 490 New COVID-19 Cases, 274 Discharged And 31 Deaths On June 16 - (7397 Tested) by myforty68: 1:06pm On Jun 17, 2020
number of tests quoted is false. it is less than 3000. this is important because test postitivity rate is key.
we will be winning when the test postivity rate dips below 10%
Re: 490 New COVID-19 Cases, 274 Discharged And 31 Deaths On June 16 - (7397 Tested) by BillionaireTalk: 1:07pm On Jun 17, 2020
hmm may God help us
Re: 490 New COVID-19 Cases, 274 Discharged And 31 Deaths On June 16 - (7397 Tested) by Drogo(m): 1:09pm On Jun 17, 2020
Meanwhile,Ogun state has decided to shut down the major isolation centre at Ikenne to commence home treatment for patients.
Re: 490 New COVID-19 Cases, 274 Discharged And 31 Deaths On June 16 - (7397 Tested) by Saintinoo(m): 1:10pm On Jun 17, 2020
References:

https://twitter.com/NCDCgov/status/1273027750392102912?s=19

https://covid19.ncdc.gov.ng/

How did they manage to test more than 7k samples yesterday, was it for yesterday alone or what.

1 Like

Re: 490 New COVID-19 Cases, 274 Discharged And 31 Deaths On June 16 - (7397 Tested) by Saintinoo(m): 1:16pm On Jun 17, 2020
PowerOfLove:
Did anybody see '31 deaths' on June 16?
According to NCDC they combined the deaths figures of Lagos from 12th to 15th which amounted to 25, so that is the reason they had 31 death.

1 Like

Re: 490 New COVID-19 Cases, 274 Discharged And 31 Deaths On June 16 - (7397 Tested) by Gokoyer0(m): 1:16pm On Jun 17, 2020
Did you know any motive behind govt inflating this figure like that? What do they wanna gain from this?
myforty68:
number of tests quoted is false. it is less than 3000. this is important because test postitivity rate is key.
we will be winning when the test postivity rate dips below 10%
Re: 490 New COVID-19 Cases, 274 Discharged And 31 Deaths On June 16 - (7397 Tested) by Saintinoo(m): 1:19pm On Jun 17, 2020
Enugupikin:

Lol..you're still ignorant..I'm a resident Dr myself and our NARD president and secretary are from my teaching hospital, I'm telling u that houseofficers are part of us resident drs by association..We were shared on duties for the management of COVID19 of which I was among..some of my colleagues who are also resident drs contracted the virus but have now fully recovered...even in the main hospital where I work the consultants even barely come around, resident drs do the surgeries, and without them the consultants won't even book for a procedure..I don't know when someone is explaining something to you guys who don't even know what is happening you keep basking in ignorance undecided
Please kindly state name of your hospital, full name and state of service or keep quiet...

I am a resident doctors, i am this and that, your comment here is full of pride, how much do you earn if at all you are what you claim to be...
Re: 490 New COVID-19 Cases, 274 Discharged And 31 Deaths On June 16 - (7397 Tested) by Saintinoo(m): 1:20pm On Jun 17, 2020
PowerOfLove:
31 deaths...that is where I am really afraid. Can they give us figures per state? Lumping them together and giving us total figure is not helping matters. Let them give us the break down of fatality per state. This way, people will know which state is having the highest death toll and they will be more serious about it.
The 31 deaths is not for one day according to NCDC
Re: 490 New COVID-19 Cases, 274 Discharged And 31 Deaths On June 16 - (7397 Tested) by Saintinoo(m): 1:25pm On Jun 17, 2020
Investnow2017:

Dear can you tell us what your typical is like at your centre. Your narration will interest a lot of folks. Really good to know that you are one of those on the frontline. Kudos dear. Please share your experience with us. Hope I am not asking too much. Thanks
Oga what do you think this guy will tell you?
Re: 490 New COVID-19 Cases, 274 Discharged And 31 Deaths On June 16 - (7397 Tested) by Beedude(m): 1:26pm On Jun 17, 2020
@REFERENCES . Was 7397 actually tested?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Five Common Nigerian Home Remedies And Their Uses / 24-Year-Old Lady's Huge Facial Tumour Removed (Photos) / 'I Will Return As A Man' - Woman Who Attempted Suicide On Her Birthday (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.