Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,459 members, 7,819,671 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:33 PM

Biography Of The Embattled APC National Chairman Com. Adams Oshiomole - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Biography Of The Embattled APC National Chairman Com. Adams Oshiomole (3647 Views)

Gboyega Oyetola Present His Certificate Of Return To Adams Oshiomole / Is This APC National Chairman , Adams Oshiomole’s Mansion? (VIDEO) / Iara Oshiomhole Shines At APC National Convention (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Biography Of The Embattled APC National Chairman Com. Adams Oshiomole by Kiddo01(m): 6:51am On Jun 17, 2020
Adams Aliyu Oshiomhole (born 4 April 1952) is a former labor leader, turned politician who 2012 was elected for a second term as the Governor of Edo State in Nigeria on the platform of the Action Congress . His first term was won following his court appeal to the results of a massively rigged April 2007 election in which the candidate of the ruling People's Democratic Party Oserheimen Osunbor had initially been declared the winner. He assumed office on 12 November 2008 after winning the appeal.
Oshiomhole was formerly president of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), and was prominent as the leader of a campaign of industrial action against high oil prices in Nigeria.

Background
Adams Aliyu Oshiomhole was born on 4 April 1952 at Iyamho, near Auchi in Edo State. He was born Muslim but was led to Christianity by his late wife Clara who died of cancer aged 54. He is Catholic and his Christian name is Eric. After his secondary education, he obtained a job with the Arewa Textiles Company, where he was elected union secretary. He became a full-time trade union organizer in 1975. He then studied at Ruskin College, Oxford in the United Kingdom where he majored in economics and industrial relations.
He also attended the National Institute for Policy and Strategic Studies, Kuru.

In May 2015 he married a young model called Lara Fortes

Labor leader
In 1982, Adams Oshiomhole was appointed General Secretary of the National Union of Textile Garment and Tailoring Workers of Nigeria, a union with over 75,000 workers. After democracy was restored in 1999, he became president of the Nigerian Labour Congress. Early in the administration of President Olusegun Obasanjo he negotiated a 25% wage increase for public sector workers. In return he publicly supported Obasanjo and endorsed his candidacy when he was re-elected in 2003. The Textile union elected Oshiomhole for a second term as General Secretary, while he continued as president of the NLC.

The relationship with Obasanjo turned sour as neglect of local oil refineries led to reliance on imported gasoline, followed by rises in the price of fuel. Oshiomhole led strikes and demonstrations against the increases. He faced arrests, tear gas and temporary blockades of union offices, and Obasanjo introduced legislation to make it more difficult for the NLC to strike. The NLC alleges that on 9 October 2004 Oshiomhole was abducted by State Security Services during a protest, but the Nigerian government say he submitted to voluntary custody.

Oshiomhole represented African Workers for two terms on the Governing Body of the International Labour Organisation (ILO), serving on the committee on Freedom of Association. He was also a member of the Executive Board of the International Confederation of Free Trade Unions.

Edo State Governor
In April 2007, Adams Oshiomhole ran for Governor of Edo State under the Action Congress Party, with which his Labour Party had entered a strategic alliance. Oserheimen Osunbor of the People's Democratic Party (PDP) was declared the winner. However, the AC contested the election on the basis of various irregularities. On 20 March 2008, an Edo State election tribunal nullified the election of Oserheimen Osunbor and declared Oshiomhole the winner. On 11 November 2008, a federal Appeal Court sitting in Benin City upheld the ruling of the state's elections petitions tribunal, declaring Oshiomole to be the Governor of Edo State. The decision was based on several voting irregularities.

In 2012, he was elected to a second term, winning the elections in a massive landslide. ended his tenure on November 12 2016

Re: Biography Of The Embattled APC National Chairman Com. Adams Oshiomole by JosEast(m): 6:55am On Jun 17, 2020
Oshio baba
Re: Biography Of The Embattled APC National Chairman Com. Adams Oshiomole by Kiddo01(m): 7:04am On Jun 17, 2020
And some governors called him uneducated leader

Nigeria Na waoooo

1 Like

Re: Biography Of The Embattled APC National Chairman Com. Adams Oshiomole by seanfer(m): 7:15am On Jun 17, 2020
So he had post secondary education and some people here said he’s just a tailor without certificate.
I’m not supporting him because they’re all the same. But I think we the youth of this country need to stop taking everything we heard from this politicians serious.
Let us fight for our future.
Re: Biography Of The Embattled APC National Chairman Com. Adams Oshiomole by effty(m): 7:28am On Jun 17, 2020
He never majored in anything apart from working as a labourer in the textile mills. Stop posting this Wikipedia rubbish that can be edited at anytime.

1 Like

Re: Biography Of The Embattled APC National Chairman Com. Adams Oshiomole by oyatz(m): 7:30am On Jun 17, 2020
Just like calling dog a bad name just to hang him

Kiddo01:
And some governors called him uneducated leader

Nigeria Na waoooo
Re: Biography Of The Embattled APC National Chairman Com. Adams Oshiomole by oyatz(m): 7:33am On Jun 17, 2020
Do you know what it means to be elected as the National President of Nigerian Labour Congress (NLC)?

Do you think a Labourer can represent Nigeria in the International Labour Organization for two terms?

So a Labourer can study at the Prestigious National Institute of Policy and Strategic Studies, Kuru?

Think deeply sir

effty:
He never majored in anything apart from working as a labourer in the textile mills. Stop posting this Wikipedia rubbish that can be edited at anytime.

2 Likes

Re: Biography Of The Embattled APC National Chairman Com. Adams Oshiomole by Macphenson: 8:17am On Jun 17, 2020
He then studied at Ruskin College, Oxford in the United Kingdom where he majored in economics and industrial relations.

Who else noticed that date is conspicuously missing here showing its a lie.

6 Likes

Re: Biography Of The Embattled APC National Chairman Com. Adams Oshiomole by Kiddo01(m): 8:27am On Jun 17, 2020
Macphenson:
He then studied at Ruskin College, Oxford in the United Kingdom where he majored in economics and industrial relations.

Who else noticed that date is conspicuously missing here showing its a lie.

Which date are you looking for
Re: Biography Of The Embattled APC National Chairman Com. Adams Oshiomole by Macphenson: 8:28am On Jun 17, 2020
Kiddo01:

Which date are you looking for

The date and year he attended the Ruskin College.

3 Likes

Re: Biography Of The Embattled APC National Chairman Com. Adams Oshiomole by effty(m): 8:49am On Jun 17, 2020
oyatz:
Do you know what it means to be elected as the National President of Nigerian Labour Congress (NLC)?

Do you think a Labourer can represent Nigeria in the International Labour Organization for two terms?

So a Labourer can study at the Prestigious National Institute of Policy and Strategic Studies, Kuru?

Think deeply sir

What is NIPSS, Kuru? I have seen so many senior ratings in the military that did one or two things there. There is nothing prestigious about it.

Meanwhile, MC Oluomo is the Chairman of the NURTW in Lagos and if by providence he becomes the President of the NURTW in Nigeria, he will represent Nigeria at any ITF/ILO forum.

Have a great day sir.

P.S.: Read about NLC and tell me what it takes to be a leader there.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biography Of The Embattled APC National Chairman Com. Adams Oshiomole by Purplebirdrep: 8:57am On Jun 17, 2020
Forget to tell us his University of polytechnic of higher learning he attended. Could it be oversight

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Biography Of The Embattled APC National Chairman Com. Adams Oshiomole by Zendinho(m): 9:09am On Jun 17, 2020
So na Oshomoele dey sow all him clothes.....
Re: Biography Of The Embattled APC National Chairman Com. Adams Oshiomole by Nobody: 10:13am On Jun 17, 2020
Oshiomole is without a degree certificate...
He's a Primary school graduate that lucky was in his side, that was why he wasn't refined at all.
He is jumping from one place to another.
Re: Biography Of The Embattled APC National Chairman Com. Adams Oshiomole by slivertongue: 10:50am On Jun 17, 2020
seanfer:
So he had post secondary education and some people here said he’s just a tailor without certificate.
I’m not supporting him because they’re all the same. But I think we the youth of this country need to stop taking everything we heard from this politicians serious.
Let us fight for our future.

haba!!! u don withdraw ur support for osho baba ??

1 Like

Re: Biography Of The Embattled APC National Chairman Com. Adams Oshiomole by Caseless: 10:52am On Jun 17, 2020
Oshio is more educated than most people calling him names here. Oshio will even emerge out of this crisis stronger than he did after the initial setbacks after the suspension from his ward chapter of the party.
Re: Biography Of The Embattled APC National Chairman Com. Adams Oshiomole by seanfer(m): 11:06am On Jun 17, 2020
slivertongue:

haba!!! u don withdraw ur support for osho baba ??

Don't get it twisted.. I spoke against Obaseki's unappreciating attitude towards Oshiomhole and the party as a whole... As it stands now Obaseki is still the one that will lose more because by Monday Oshiomhole will approach the Supreme Court for stay of execution and once that is granted He will come back as the party chairman. While obaseki's disqualification stands. No difference between Ajimobi and Oshiomhole.
Re: Biography Of The Embattled APC National Chairman Com. Adams Oshiomole by Kul3ger(m): 11:10am On Jun 17, 2020
Oga kindly research deeper and attach dates to his certificates, from primary school leaving certificate.....E get watin i de find grin grin

Re: Biography Of The Embattled APC National Chairman Com. Adams Oshiomole by iluvdonjazzy: 12:22pm On Jun 17, 2020
He fought the godfathers of Edo politics to a stand still and became the GODFATHER.

1 Like

Re: Biography Of The Embattled APC National Chairman Com. Adams Oshiomole by slivertongue: 2:20pm On Jun 17, 2020
seanfer:

Don't get it twisted.. I spoke against Obaseki's unappreciating attitude towards Oshiomhole and the party as a whole... As it stands now Obaseki is still the one that will lose more because by Monday Oshiomhole will approach the Supreme Court for stay of execution and once that is granted He will come back as the party chairman. While obaseki's disqualification stands. No difference between Ajimobi and Oshiomhole.

well am.not in edo to know the waters running under d bridge but if u are an APC member in Edo. please sue for peace. cos if u fail, i may come hunting the party.
obaseki looks a person who wants to be in PDP and control APC using his men. thus making APC weak, and losss imminent. don't be too sure of supreme injunctions on Monday
Re: Biography Of The Embattled APC National Chairman Com. Adams Oshiomole by seanfer(m): 2:25pm On Jun 17, 2020
slivertongue:

well am.not in edo to know the waters running under d bridge but if u are an APC member in Edo. please sue for peace. cos if u fail, i may come hunting the party.
obaseki looks a person who wants to be in PDP and control APC using his men. thus making APC weak, and losss imminent. don't be too sure of supreme injunctions on Monday

I concur with your suggestion... I am just talking about the judicial process
Re: Biography Of The Embattled APC National Chairman Com. Adams Oshiomole by Owologbo(m): 3:53pm On Jun 17, 2020
Kiddo01:
Adams Aliyu Oshiomhole (born 4 April 1952) is a former labor leader, turned politician who 2012 was elected for a second term as the Governor of Edo State in Nigeria on the platform of the Action Congress . His first term was won following his court appeal to the results of a massively rigged April 2007 election in which the candidate of the ruling People's Democratic Party Oserheimen Osunbor had initially been declared the winner. He assumed office on 12 November 2008 after winning the appeal.
Oshiomhole was formerly president of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), and was prominent as the leader of a campaign of industrial action against high oil prices in Nigeria.

Background
Adams Aliyu Oshiomhole was born on 4 April 1952 at Iyamho, near Auchi in Edo State. He was born Muslim but was led to Christianity by his late wife Clara who died of cancer aged 54. He is Catholic and his Christian name is Eric. After his secondary education, he obtained a job with the Arewa Textiles Company, where he was elected union secretary. He became a full-time trade union organizer in 1975. He then studied at Ruskin College, Oxford in the United Kingdom where he majored in economics and industrial relations.
He also attended the National Institute for Policy and Strategic Studies, Kuru.

In May 2015 he married a young model called Lara Fortes

Labor leader
In 1982, Adams Oshiomhole was appointed General Secretary of the National Union of Textile Garment and Tailoring Workers of Nigeria, a union with over 75,000 workers. After democracy was restored in 1999, he became president of the Nigerian Labour Congress. Early in the administration of President Olusegun Obasanjo he negotiated a 25% wage increase for public sector workers. In return he publicly supported Obasanjo and endorsed his candidacy when he was re-elected in 2003. The Textile union elected Oshiomhole for a second term as General Secretary, while he continued as president of the NLC.

The relationship with Obasanjo turned sour as neglect of local oil refineries led to reliance on imported gasoline, followed by rises in the price of fuel. Oshiomhole led strikes and demonstrations against the increases. He faced arrests, tear gas and temporary blockades of union offices, and Obasanjo introduced legislation to make it more difficult for the NLC to strike. The NLC alleges that on 9 October 2004 Oshiomhole was abducted by State Security Services during a protest, but the Nigerian government say he submitted to voluntary custody.

Oshiomhole represented African Workers for two terms on the Governing Body of the International Labour Organisation (ILO), serving on the committee on Freedom of Association. He was also a member of the Executive Board of the International Confederation of Free Trade Unions.

Edo State Governor
In April 2007, Adams Oshiomhole ran for Governor of Edo State under the Action Congress Party, with which his Labour Party had entered a strategic alliance. Oserheimen Osunbor of the People's Democratic Party (PDP) was declared the winner. However, the AC contested the election on the basis of various irregularities. On 20 March 2008, an Edo State election tribunal nullified the election of Oserheimen Osunbor and declared Oshiomhole the winner. On 11 November 2008, a federal Appeal Court sitting in Benin City upheld the ruling of the state's elections petitions tribunal, declaring Oshiomole to be the Governor of Edo State. The decision was based on several voting irregularities.

In 2012, he was elected to a second term, winning the elections in a massive landslide. ended his tenure on November 12 2016

will you stop all this crap you are posting? After his secondary School? What is the name of the secondary School? He attended ICE.
Even his primary School result is questionable.
Oshomole is just an obiama that was fortunate to found himself in the seat of power.
State the names of the schools he attended (from primary to whichever level he got to) with date of entry and graduation if my point above points are false.
Re: Biography Of The Embattled APC National Chairman Com. Adams Oshiomole by WATCHOVER(m): 4:18pm On Jun 17, 2020
Caseless:
Oshio is more educated than most people calling him names here. Oshio will even emerge out of this crisis stronger than he did after the initial setbacks after the suspension from his ward chapter of the party.
Stop day dreaming
Re: Biography Of The Embattled APC National Chairman Com. Adams Oshiomole by patwilly(m): 4:40pm On Jun 17, 2020
Long before Oshiomole became Governor, I read he studied Labour studies at Oxford. Surprised to learn now he just possesses a scholl cert. It needs clearing up. I've doubted the narrative the former NLC leader didn't acquire tertiary education judging from his antecedents.
Re: Biography Of The Embattled APC National Chairman Com. Adams Oshiomole by oyatz(m): 10:55pm On Jun 17, 2020
MC Olumo is a person. Being MC Oluomo is not necessarily a PERMANENT deficiency in Education, Exposure or Character which can be aquired or remolded over time.

I know a former Director of Town Planning in Osun State who told me he was able to retired in 2012 at the age of 56 years after spending 35 years in service.
Then I asked how managed sir? He said he started work at the age of 21 years with O/L but through the opportunity of in-service training, he was able to go to university and aquired many professional certificates along the line of civil service and rose to become a Director.

My former pastor in 2004 once told us a story about himself. He said in 1987, he was a messenger in the office of Director of Medical Services in the Ministry of Health of old Oyo State. He said the exposure and contact he had with many doctors coming to their office inspired him that he too can become like them and he started attending extra mural evening classes for A-Levels. He eventually got admitted to Medical School and became a Medical Doctor!

Summary: Don't assume everybody stay at their entry level qualifications. As a matter of fact, those who rose to the top have improved themselves in education, exposure and expertise.

effty:

What is NIPSS, Kuru? I have seen so many senior ratings in the military that did one or two things there. There is nothing prestigious about it.

Meanwhile, MC Oluomo is the Chairman of the NURTW in Lagos and if by providence he becomes the President of the NURTW in Nigeria, he will represent Nigeria at any ITF/ILO forum.

Have a great day sir.

P.S.: Read about NLC and tell me what it takes to be a leader there.

1 Like

Re: Biography Of The Embattled APC National Chairman Com. Adams Oshiomole by effty(m): 10:25am On Jun 18, 2020
oyatz:
MC Olumo is a person. Being MC Oluomo is not necessarily a PERMANENT deficiency in Education, Exposure or Character which can be aquired or remolded over time.

I know a former Director of Town Planning in Osun State who told me he was able to retired in 2012 at the age of 56 years after spending 35 years in service.
Then I asked how managed sir? He said he started work at the age of 21 years with O/L but through the opportunity of in-service training, he was able to go to university and aquired many professional certificates along the line of civil service and rose to become a Director.

My former pastor in 2004 once told us a story about himself. He said in 1987, he was a messenger in the office of Director of Medical Services in the Ministry of Health of old Oyo State. He said the exposure and contact he had with many doctors coming to their office inspired him that he too can become like them and he started attending extra mural evening classes for A-Levels. He eventually got admitted to Medical School and became a Medical Doctor!

Summary: Don't assume everybody stay at their entry level qualifications. As a matter of fact, those who rose to the top have improved themselves in education, exposure and expertise.

Solid points you have laid out. However, my points remain the same. While you may attend seminars and workshops as a union leader, you don't need any qualification to be the President of a union. Whatever is it that qualified you to be a member qualifies you to be the President.
Re: Biography Of The Embattled APC National Chairman Com. Adams Oshiomole by whizzler: 11:56am On Jun 18, 2020
oyatz:

Thanks for this piece. People tend to assume that we all must go through the normal channel of education forgetting that not everyone has such opportunities. I have seen someone who became a PhD older while going through the adult education and part time route
Re: Biography Of The Embattled APC National Chairman Com. Adams Oshiomole by oyatz(m): 12:40pm On Jun 18, 2020
You are making a grave error sir .

If you show this post to a DPO in the Nigeria Police, a School Principal, a Bank Director or any reasonable man that is about 50 years of age, they will point out the errors in this post.

In life, it is NOT easy to get to the top in any profession or organization, if it were to be easy everybody will get to the top.

In addition to the general requirements to be a member of an organization, trade union, association, profession or any human community, there are extra requirements needed to get to the top. These requirements may be written or unwritten, explicit or implicit , formal or informal.

It is not every lecturer that can become Vice-Chancellors, it is not every doctor that can become the CMD, it is not every police officer that can become IG, it is not every soldier that can become a General, it is not every civil servant that can become a Permanent Secretary, it is not every priest that can become the Archbishop and it is NOT every citizen that can become the President!

We may not like Oshiomole as a person but the 21 year old Oshiomole attending adult course in Trade Unionism at the Ahmadu Bello University in 1973 is NOT the same Oshiomole of 2020.

In 1973, he was a disadvantaged 21 year old labourer in the Arewa Textile Factory, Kaduna who saw the future and decided to upgrade the limitations imposed on him by his poor background by studying further at a time many of his overpampered or more fortunate mates were crusising their fathers cars around or sleeping on three seater sofa in their parents' sitting room.

Apart from that adult classes, he aquired other qualifications including an undergraduate study at Ruskin College, Oxford and the Prestigious Nigerian Institute of Policy and Strategic Studies (reserved for the top management levels in Nigieria ) to emerged as the President of the Nigerian Labour Congress (NLC) the umbrella body of workers in the country.

His colleagues who didn't upgrade themselves remained mere labourers and retrenched after some years.

effty:
Solid points you have laid out. However, my points remain the same. While you may attend seminars and workshops as a union leader, you don't need any qualification to be the President of a union. Whatever is it that qualified you to be a member qualifies you to be the President.
Re: Biography Of The Embattled APC National Chairman Com. Adams Oshiomole by Wiseandtrue(f): 12:53pm On Jun 18, 2020
Kiddo01:

After his secondary education, he obtained a job with the Arewa Textiles Company, where he was elected union secretary.
Joined Arewa Textile Company as a what A tailor

He shouldn't be shy of his skills!

The same zeal he used as a labour leader has suddenly disappeared
Re: Biography Of The Embattled APC National Chairman Com. Adams Oshiomole by effty(m): 6:09pm On Jun 18, 2020
oyatz:
You are making a grave error sir .

If you show this post to a DPO in the Nigeria Police, a School Principal, a Bank Director or any reasonable man that is about 50 years of age, they will point out the errors in this post.

In life, it is NOT easy to get to the top in any profession or organization, if it were to be easy everybody will get to the top.

In addition to the general requirements to be a member of an organization, trade union, association, profession or any human community, there are extra requirements needed to get to the top. These requirements may be written or unwritten, explicit or implicit , formal or informal.

It is not every lecturer that can become Vice-Chancellors, it is not every doctor that can become the CMD, it is not every police officer that can become IG, it is not every soldier that can become a General, it is not every civil servant that can become a Permanent Secretary, it is not every priest that can become the Archbishop and it is NOT every citizen that can become the President!

We may not like Oshiomole as a person but the 21 year old Oshiomole attending adult course in Trade Unionism at the Ahmadu Bello University in 1973 is NOT the same Oshiomole of 2020.

In 1973, he was a disadvantaged 21 year old labourer in the Arewa Textile Factory, Kaduna who saw the future and decided to upgrade the limitations imposed on him by his poor background by studying further at a time many of his overpampered or more fortunate mates were crusising their fathers cars around or sleeping on three seater sofa in their parents' sitting room.

Apart from that adult classes, he aquired other qualifications including an undergraduate study at Ruskin College, Oxford and the Prestigious Nigerian Institute of Policy and Strategic Studies (reserved for the top management levels in Nigieria ) to emerged as the President of the Nigerian Labour Congress (NLC) the umbrella body of workers in the country.

His colleagues who didn't upgrade themselves remained mere labourers and retrenched after some years.

Do you belong to any union? Being a professional is different from being a unionist. I say no more.
Re: Biography Of The Embattled APC National Chairman Com. Adams Oshiomole by eagleu: 6:13pm On Jun 18, 2020
Gforce2015:
Oshiomole is without a degree certificate...
He's a Primary school graduate that lucky was in his side, that was why he wasn't refined at all.
He is jumping from one place to another.

People get leaders they deserve.
Re: Biography Of The Embattled APC National Chairman Com. Adams Oshiomole by BeLookingIDIOT(m): 6:26pm On Jun 18, 2020
He has no certificate bla bla bla yet he has achieved more than your entire generations.
Between hearing Oshiomhole and Obaseki speaking,who strikes you as more educated?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nnamdi Kanu Represents 99.9% Ndigbo’; As Igbo Lawyers Mobilise Defence / Tinubu's Supporters Brandish Deadly Weapons, Threaten Whoever Votes Atiku, Obi / ‘you Guys Are Jealous Of Me’, Ebele Obiano On Plastic Surgery Criticisms (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.