Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,119 members, 7,814,929 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:51 PM

Now The North Bleeds ( Daily Trust ) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Now The North Bleeds ( Daily Trust ) (2079 Views)

Why The North Bleeds And The People Sleep - Farooq A. Kperogi / Atiku Vs Buhari: Daily Trust Newspaper Opinion Poll / Kemi Adeosun Resigns Over NYSC Certificate Scandal - Daily Trust (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Now The North Bleeds ( Daily Trust ) by Paperwhite(m): 3:23pm On Jun 17, 2020
By 2015 when President Muhammadu Buhari defeated President Goodluck Jonathan, it was a weeping North that “voted” overwhelmingly to oust the ruling Peoples Democratic Party.

Today, 5 years down in time, the North bleeds.

In the last three weeks, over 300 lives were lost to armed bandits operating in Southern Kaduna, Taraba, Benue, and, of course, the North East states of Borno and Adamawa.Added to this were Kebbi, Zamfara and the President’s home state of Katsina.

A rueful Governor Aminu Bello Masari lamented this way “I am a very unhappy person because we have never had any moment of respite within the last five years that the leadership of this state can describe as comfortable.”

Five years is for how long Katsina State’s son of the soil has been in charge of Nigeria, and recall that he came as the righteous man of integrity who will rescue the country from corruption which was believed to be the bane of the insecurity that was ravaging the land under Goodluck.

The whole of this week has seen the hitherto solid groundswell of support for President Muhammadu Buhari eroding down to its lowest ebb, with past diehard associates vehemently voicing their description of Buhari as incompetent and a failure.

APC Chieftain and Professor of Parasitology, Shehu Usman Modibbo, renowned scholar, Dr. Usman Bugaje, and the entire cyberspace of activists, have condemned the inability of the government to stop the wanton vicious bandit killings, kidnapping and rape being perpetrated in the North.

Last Friday in mosques was a babel of prominent Imams angrily lamenting the wanton killings and vicious crimes in the “neglected” North, not even stopping calling President Buhari by name and raining curses.

Much of all, this is on the social media, in hope that the gut feelings of the frustrated would find its way to President Muhammadu Buhari and elicit action.

Professor Ango Abdullahi who leads the Northern Elders Forum lamented that the North in its entire life had never known this level of insecurity.Said he, “Northern Elders Forum (NEF) is alarmed at the rising insecurity of communities and their properties in the North.

“The recent escalation of attacks by bandits, rustlers and insurgents leave the only conclusion that the people of the North are now completely at the mercy of armed gangs who roam towns and villages at will, wreaking havoc.

“It would appear that the administration of President Muhammadu Buhari and governors have lost control over the imperatives of protecting people of the North, a constitutional duty that they swore to uphold.”

Ango attributed this to the insurgents “sensing a huge vacuum in political will and capacity” and exploiting same “with disastrous consequences on communities and individuals.”In 2015, our insecurity was mainly the raging war against the Boko Haram insurgency in the North East.
Today, the entire Northern Nigeria is where to live and die in senseless violence.

Nigerians, and Northerners especially, are exasperated because they can see clearly that the Military, hard as it has tried, is at wits end to find answers to the rising territorial wave of banditry and other vicious crimes.No one seems to have the answer to the question as to why the North is bleeding.

This paper’s columnist, Mahmud Jega, opened his Monday piece this week, asking, “when and how did Northern Nigeria become the Ground Zero of insecurity in Nigeria, playground for insurgents, kidnappers, cattle rustlers, bandits, armed robbers, epicentre of senseless killings, burning of villages and springing up of IDP camps in every available school building and open space?”

The North is bleeding because the problems of ignorance and poverty have finally come to a head.Banditry is a reaction to Buhari’s economic policies which seek to address the national predicament but sadly ruin the hopes of ordinary people, for long, left uneducated, poor and without any governance benefits in amenities.

To use a Martin Luther King Jnr quote that has become popular recently, “Violence is the language of the unheard.”

Buhari’s war on corruption had humiliated Northern elite hitherto held in high esteem by ordinary folks, whose eyes today, have opened to the perception that all that wealth was from proceeds of crime, and the choice of criminal activity seems to be paying the local unlawful.

Far from the reach of the law, they raid vulnerable villagers freely, loot livestock, food, and valuables, kill the men and rape women indiscriminately, usually high on mind bending and sex enhancement drugs.

The North is getting rewarded for its neglect of education, its failure to develop agricultural industries while yet, providing abode to the abjectly poor, and over 10 million street children.

No one is to blame but the leaders.They ruined one another in their jostle for power & now their entire poorly developed region is a flowing river of the blood and tears of their disadvantaged rural dwellers.

And what direction are some of Buhari’s Northern Ministers looking?

-Sadiya Umar Farouq, Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development of Nigeria, feeds school children in their homes within two weeks in the pandemic lockdown with N13bn.

-Alhaji Muhammed Sabo Nanono, Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development for Agriculture, meanwhile, is going to kill pests in the North with another N13bn.

I argue that if you spend just N4bn, you could buy 5000 AK47s even from the black market.N3bn to raise and train and pay a defence force of 5000 men against bandits.

You could still spare N6bn to commit to logistics and quieten Katsina, Zamfara, Kebbi and even reserve some for Borno.As for the N13bn that fed children in two weeks and they are again hungry now, a serious government could have borrowed from Jigawa State’s Sule Lamido.

With every N400m, you could have loaned 1000 peasant farmers a pair of oxen work bulls, a plough, a harrow, and a carte (wagon).Peasant farmers keep promises and pay back loans.

We here, wasted a chance to have food sufficiency, with pastoralists making money to replenish their stock and live in peace and harmony with farmers.

Now the North bleeds while in contrast, the South has, having lost leadership, tidied up its act and in the midst of all the adversities in the past 5 years, stabilised its polity, grown its economy and is thriving.

Military force alone did not quieten the South and will not stabilise the North either.Poverty must be addressed with opportunity to pursue economic purpose.Enterprising communities will not take up banditry.And politically, will the North offer the nation leadership in 2023? Not with the Buhari trail of tears and blood.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailytrust.com.ng/now-the-north-bleeds.html/amp

5 Likes

Re: Now The North Bleeds ( Daily Trust ) by Litesanti(m): 3:35pm On Jun 17, 2020
"Ugly truth,"

3 Likes

Re: Now The North Bleeds ( Daily Trust ) by TheFreeOne: 3:35pm On Jun 17, 2020
A rueful Governor Aminu Bello Masari lamented this way “I am a very unhappy person because we have never had any moment of respite within the last five years that the leadership of this state can describe as comfortable.”

He who brings home ants infested firewood should expect the visit of lizards.

Northern leaders ignored needed education and development of their region for political gains and power grabs at the centre so they shouldn't feign surprise or shock why the north has become *Ground Zero of insecurity in Nigeria, playground for insurgents, kidnappers, cattle rustlers, bandits, armed robbers, epicentre of senseless killings*

And as the popular saying goes, as you laid your bed so shall you lie on it.

I pray concerned and educated youths in the north will rise to the occasion and effect needed change that'll sweep away those greedy, wicked and selfish leaders.

4 Likes

Re: Now The North Bleeds ( Daily Trust ) by EbukaHades10(m): 3:40pm On Jun 17, 2020
The matter even tire Matthias

Re: Now The North Bleeds ( Daily Trust ) by Subduer: 3:46pm On Jun 17, 2020
BANDITRY is a reaction to Buhari’s economic policies which seek to address the national predicament but sadly ruin the hopes of ordinary people, for long, left uneducated, poor and without any governance benefits in amenities.

Buhari is more FOCUSED on using RUGA, Cattle Colony, etc, to transfer to his FULANI nomads, the natural ancestral lands of Nigeria's native ethnic people.

3 Likes

Re: Now The North Bleeds ( Daily Trust ) by Nobody: 3:52pm On Jun 17, 2020
Having seen their negative and no-going-back minds, she shouted:

There is God oo.

She was laughed at but the strength of a hero/heroine can also be the tragic flaw.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Now The North Bleeds ( Daily Trust ) by Racoon(m): 3:55pm On Jun 17, 2020
Suffice to say, the problem of northern Nigeria is simply self-inflicted.Remember, the arrow heads of the Nigerian security architecture is firmly in the hands of hausa-fulani muslims yet the region is just a theatre of endless bloodshed & killings.

1 Like

Re: Now The North Bleeds ( Daily Trust ) by saaron(m): 3:59pm On Jun 17, 2020
Are these northern elites still against Amotekun? What stops northern govs from using Hisbah sharia police to tackle terrorist murderers? Wicked people.
Karma is just serving them their own home cooked meal. Afterall they're the creators of boko haram and fulani terrorist militia group.
The terrorists they unleashed on Middle Belt and Southern Nigeria will be redirected x7 to them by karma.
ONE NIGERIA DOES NOT EXIST!

8 Likes

Re: Now The North Bleeds ( Daily Trust ) by LibertyRep: 4:00pm On Jun 17, 2020
The North has always been bleeding.

So says history.

1 Like

Re: Now The North Bleeds ( Daily Trust ) by sweerychick(f): 4:03pm On Jun 17, 2020
When a dog taste blood, it hungers for more, the same current president that openly said that baboons and dogs would be soaked in blood if he doesn't win!. Violence and Chaos is what that region is known for, I have lost 4 personal relations in that region alone due to tribal unrest. I'm sorry to say this but the North has shed so much blood that the cry of the innocent is beginning to haunt them. My only prayers is that the appointed time would come for every region to stay on their own.

2 Likes

Re: Now The North Bleeds ( Daily Trust ) by Maxymilliano(m): 4:40pm On Jun 17, 2020
Northerners should either go and beg the Chadian President to come and help clear BH & bandits or they should take up arms to defend their lives and their properties, because one thing is crystal clear, the joker of a President that is permanently in shock cannot protect them!

4 Likes

Re: Now The North Bleeds ( Daily Trust ) by mandarin: 6:24pm On Jun 17, 2020
I think northern elites were silent when fulani militiamen and herdsmen plundered and murdered in middle belt and various states in southern Nigeria. I think the Nigeria police and security apparatus are stretched beyond capacity and stressed. Community policing and states based security apparatus should be used to tackle this challenge.
Re: Now The North Bleeds ( Daily Trust ) by Captainrambo2: 6:37pm On Jun 17, 2020
Well what can we say

Sai baba undecided
Re: Now The North Bleeds ( Daily Trust ) by Yankee101: 6:37pm On Jun 17, 2020
For years and years the North allowed chadians, nigeriens and Fulani into the country to help with voters, intimidation etc. The COVID-19 lockdown, Amotekun etc means no more customers. So who do they face now?

Their employers, the North

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Now The North Bleeds ( Daily Trust ) by Bighead9: 7:01pm On Jun 17, 2020
It's well

1 Share

Re: Now The North Bleeds ( Daily Trust ) by CodeTemplar: 7:10pm On Jun 17, 2020
North bleeds? 300 deaths isn't bleeding the real bleeding is when about N300bn is transferred across the middle of the country northward and monthly then about half of it heads out of the country in personal "earnings".

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Now The North Bleeds ( Daily Trust ) by SpecialAdviser(m): 7:38pm On Jun 17, 2020
I am not one of those who trust this north for any dime. They can do anything for power. I won't be surprised if the whole killings is a 2023 calculations.

I really pity people down south who go about licking their ass for a crumb on the table.

And for those of u who keep supporting Buhari incompetence, I say shame on you.
Re: Now The North Bleeds ( Daily Trust ) by slivertongue: 7:50pm On Jun 17, 2020
“It would appear that the administration of President Muhammadu Buhari and governors have lost control over the imperatives of protecting people of the North, a constitutional duty that they swore to uphold.”
Re: Now The North Bleeds ( Daily Trust ) by slivertongue: 7:55pm On Jun 17, 2020
I remember that year they blame GEJ for the attacks. GEJ and PDP mek una see me ooo. I no follow talk

3 Likes

Re: Now The North Bleeds ( Daily Trust ) by proeast(m): 8:02pm On Jun 17, 2020
They used their own hand to destroy their region.
Re: Now The North Bleeds ( Daily Trust ) by Finnese001: 8:06pm On Jun 17, 2020
Arrewa now

2 Likes

Re: Now The North Bleeds ( Daily Trust ) by Collyweed: 9:44pm On Jun 17, 2020
All these southerners making useless comments here. Wetin concern una!

Are you people in any way related to Mrs Karma?
Re: Now The North Bleeds ( Daily Trust ) by ThatFairGuy: 9:46pm On Jun 17, 2020
hmmmn. May The Almighty preserve our soul
Re: Now The North Bleeds ( Daily Trust ) by 989900: 9:52pm On Jun 17, 2020
No one is to blame but the leaders.They ruined one another in their jostle for power & now their entire poorly developed region is a flowing river of the blood and tears of their disadvantaged rural dwellers.

Touché
Re: Now The North Bleeds ( Daily Trust ) by Karlifate: 10:01pm On Jun 17, 2020
But they launched their own Shege Ka Fa Sa (Northern version of Amotekun) the other day, how come bandits are still killing innocent people everywhere

Re: Now The North Bleeds ( Daily Trust ) by WaveLion: 10:05pm On Jun 17, 2020
Useless story
Re: Now The North Bleeds ( Daily Trust ) by musa234(m): 10:05pm On Jun 17, 2020
A sad one indeed!
Re: Now The North Bleeds ( Daily Trust ) by Salvador1: 10:43pm On Jun 17, 2020
Sai barbarism till 3030

Cc: gandollar grin
Re: Now The North Bleeds ( Daily Trust ) by IduNaOba: 10:51pm On Jun 17, 2020
Bubril 2023
Who is with me?
Re: Now The North Bleeds ( Daily Trust ) by Gandollar(f): 5:00am On Jun 18, 2020
Columba90:
Having seen their negative and no-going-back minds, she shouted:

There is God oo.

She was laughed at but the strength of a hero/heroine can also be the tragic flaw.
I was embarrassed watching her buckle that way on international TV at the time, but like you rightly said, she saw through it all!

And she tried to fight them, but they were too powerful for her because there were saboteurs even in her own camp.

1 Like

Re: Now The North Bleeds ( Daily Trust ) by Gandollar(f): 5:12am On Jun 18, 2020
sweerychick:
When a dog taste blood, it hungers for more, the same current president that openly said that baboons and dogs would be soaked in blood if he doesn't win!. Violence and Chaos is what that region is known for, I have lost 4 personal relations in that region alone due to tribal unrest. I'm sorry to say this but the North has shed so much blood that the cry of the innocent is beginning to haunt them. My only prayers is that the appointed time would come for every region to stay on their own.
My gut feeling is that karma is paying them back for killing of 3m Biafran children by starvation.

Otherwise, how do you explain the unprovoked murder going on there. Even if they were educationally disadvantaged and poor, those issues of life should not take away your humanity.

They are very religiously clustered, that should have fostered unbreakable bond between them, rather than killing themselves in such mindless ways.

After the north, karma will fish out the rest of their collaborators.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Where Is Rtd Brigadier General Senator David Mark? / Why Linking Of NIN To Phone Numbers Should Be Scrapped / Breaking: Nigeria Is In Danger Over Chinese Loan –Rotimi Amaechi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.