Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,518 members, 7,823,226 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:02 AM

What Is The Reason For Cutting Baby's Hair In Islam? - Islam for Muslims (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / What Is The Reason For Cutting Baby's Hair In Islam? (24070 Views)

Sadaqa Is A Reason For The Increase In Provision / Palm Wine In Islam / Artificial Insemination To Get A Child: Is It A Sin In Islam? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Reason For Cutting Baby's Hair In Islam? by Onlyonebuhari: 6:02pm On Jun 26, 2020
It to remove and and dirt from the head.

Al-Haafiz said in al-Fath (9/593): In the hadeeth of Ibn ‘Abbaas that is narrated by al-Tabaraani it says: “Remove the harm from him and shave his head.” So he added the idea of shaving the head after saying remove the harm. Therefore we should interpret the word adha (harm) as referring to something more general in meaning than shaving the head. This is supported by the fact in that some versions of the hadeeth of ‘Amr ibn Shu’ayb it says: “and wipe the dirt from him”. Narrated by Abu’l-Shaykh. End quote.

Whatever the case, the hadeeth refers to boys only (ghulaam) and this supports the view of the Hanbalis.

And Allaah knows best.
Re: What Is The Reason For Cutting Baby's Hair In Islam? by MousahTanko(m): 6:27pm On Jun 26, 2020
In this fatwa:

Shaving the head of the baby is among the rites of aqeeqah. So a Muslim should never hesitate to do the shaving as well as all other Sunnah acts of aqeeqah, for they entail obedience of the Prophet (peace be upon him).

In responding to your question, Sheikh Ahmad Kutty, a senior lecturer and an Islamic scholar at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, states:

I congratulate both of you for this wonderful gift of Allah. You have every right to cherish it and give thanks to Him. I also pray that Allah grants your son sound faith and upbringing, and may he become a valuable asset to the community. Amen.

Aqeeqah is an important Islamic rite of initiation. It is a great sunnah of the Prophet Ibrahim (peace be upon him). This custom existed among the pre-Islamic Arabs, albeit in a twisted and distorted form, as they had mingled it with pagan customs.

Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) was sent by Allah to restore the pristine faith of the Prophet Ibrahim (peace and blessings be upon him). He thus restored `aqeeqah to its original status as a rite symbolizing the true tawheed (Oneness of Allah), purging it of all pagan associations and accretions.

The aqeeqah process consists of the following rites: shaving the head of the child and donating its equivalent in weight in charity; sacrificing a goat or a lamb and offering the meat in charity as thanksgiving; and giving the child a good name.

Thus, you should never hesitate to shave the head. If you are afraid of doing it yourself, you should get a barber or some experienced elder who can do it for you. Just as it is important from a religious point of view, it is also good for better hair growth. So don’t skip it.

As for weighing the hair, it should also be done. An ordinary, sensitive kitchen scale is all that is necessary for this purpose. If you cannot find one, you may go by an educated guesswork. In this case, it is better that you err in terms of giving more, rather than giving less.

As for the meat, if you are giving a feast, you should make sure that you invite some poor people to partake of it. For the original purpose of aqeeqah is not to feed those who are rich and well-fed.

Rather it is intended to offer an avenue for feeding the poor and indigent. An alternate way is to pick out some poor families and offer part of the meat to them, in case you are unable to invite them for the feast.

Finally, the aqeeqah ritual is the first step towards initiating the child into the Islamic faith and practices. Following this, you and your wife bear the added responsibility of nurturing sound faith, values, ethics, and morals in the child in your everyday living.

May Allah grant you the strength and knowledge to shoulder this heavy responsibility, amen.

Allah Almighty knows best.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Reason For Cutting Baby's Hair In Islam? by Olabenjamen22(m): 6:42pm On Jun 26, 2020
Oricha62:
GLORY BE TO ALLAH,THE LORD OF THE WORD.
I can not figure it out the reason why some christians have to claimed to be muslim just post or comment on Islamic articles.
To my muslim brothers ,please lets reply their abusive comments with a good ones.

Your IQ is beyond repair, atheist are dealing with you guys you are here calling Christians, are you alright at all?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Reason For Cutting Baby's Hair In Islam? by success4me(m): 8:19pm On Jun 26, 2020
Notyamate:
I went to greet a friend who recently gave birth to a baby girl. I carried this baby and she was so cute, and the hair, oh my God! This baby has hair, I mean the hair was just too much on her head. Dark curly, beautiful shinny hair.

I complimented the mother about the hair saying if I have a baby I want her hair to be plenty as hers. She replied that I better not be too happy about the hair, that they'll cut it before the naming ceremony. I was like why? She said it's a Muslim thing.

Although I know the hair will grow back, but I would like to know the reason behind this cutting of a thing.

Is it done to all Muslims over the world, or is it just in only Nigeria?

It is the Prophets injunction to shave the head of your child on the seventh day.The reason being that there is no Dada (Dreadlock) in Islam & we are made to know that the hair brought by the child to this World is a filth which has been mixed with blood & aminioc fluids from the mother's womb,therefore Muslims are enjoyed to shave it to avoid Demons turning the child's head to their abode & start to control the child to act abnormally & with great annoyance like the case of most Dada's. Yoruba's even use to eulogize Dada's(Dreadlocks) as Dada Awuru,(Dada Awuru) Dada ijangbon, (Dada trouble maker)Dada Fitinati (Dada Tribulations)& so many other eulogies to depicts the type of angers associated with any child you refused to shave he or her hair called Dada. That hair a child brings to this world if not shaved will eventually turn to Dreadlocks because of the filthy & dirt in it & will arm the child in future because the Devil & Demons will be disturbing that child hence Prophet Muhammad's command to shave it.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Reason For Cutting Baby's Hair In Islam? by nurusystem(m): 8:28pm On Jun 26, 2020
sunshineV:
I still don't understand why we practice Arabian culture when we have our own

What about the Israelite are the Christian
Re: What Is The Reason For Cutting Baby's Hair In Islam? by nurusystem(m): 8:29pm On Jun 26, 2020
Hndrrxxx:
Now what's your problem if you are no more a Muslim Leave my religion to me. YOUR RELIGION WILL ALWAYS BE YOUR RELIGION AND MY RELIGION WILL ALWAYS BE MY RELIGION. PEACE ❤️
wrong opinion.
Re: What Is The Reason For Cutting Baby's Hair In Islam? by nurusystem(m): 8:30pm On Jun 26, 2020
neyobanti:
Thank you for your curiosity.With the little knowledge I have, Moslems are enjoined to shave the head of a new baby because the hair is dirty.Also,moslems are enjoined to shave this hair, weigh it and give equivalent weight of the hair in charity to the needy.These are basic islamic rites to welcome the new-born into this world.

Authentic
Re: What Is The Reason For Cutting Baby's Hair In Islam? by hamzeiy: 9:17pm On Jun 26, 2020
Xmuslim:

I'm no more a Muslim, but I have answer to your question.

Shaving children hair and killing animal as a sacrifice on behalf of the baby is a popular pegan pre-Islamic practice.

Muhammad/Islam adopted the practice with little modifications

1. Muslim kill the animal on the seventh day after birth
2. Muslim don't stain the head of the baby with the blood of the animal like the pegan use to do.

Summary

It is a culture that Muhammad met in his community and adopted into his religion. But many today's Muslim do not know and they are not ready to modernise their Islam to suit the current century because they are afraid of hell fire. Maybe they think their God is brutal
Considering that you're no more a Muslim is a typical reason why you got everything wrong...fas Alu ahlu zikir in kuttum la taAlum meaning
"Ask those who know if you don't know".

Your ignorance of the deen is the reason you left it in the first place.
Barbing the hair of a male child is Sunnah and that of the female is not even encouraged. Most Muslims do it out of ignorance.
Re: What Is The Reason For Cutting Baby's Hair In Islam? by gentleibraheem(m): 9:38pm On Jun 26, 2020
Xmuslim:

Research more. According to Muhammad, the last batch of people that will leave hell are those with an atom of iman. They didn't observe other pillars of Islam.

I'm not against punishment, but eternal hell does not justify any crime.

Qur'an does not talk about earth rotation on it orbit, how heart works, perfect description of formation of featus. Dr zakir naik came up with all these. It is called the miracle of re-interpretation. Infact Qur'an contradict science if we go by traditional tafsir. Modern people are only trying to re-interpret the Qur'an to correct the error. This is what I realised with certainty and part of the reasons why I left the deen

Moreover, all the things that seems scientific in the Qur'an were found in other books that were around before Qur'an. Qur'an even made the same mistakes those books made

Once more, jew and Christian does not agree that Abraham ever set foot on makkah. So, I don't trust Qur'an when it says Abraham entered makkah

Breeze don blow oh, fowl nyash go soon open.
Oga Xmuslim what do you understand by eeman. You should know better that it goes beyond bearing witness that prophet Muhammad is the messenger of Allah. I guess this research is up to you. Mind you the concept of eeman is very elementary in Islamic schools Xmuslim.
Why do you think any punishment is OK but eternal hell. I'd like to understand what you're thinking while typing that .
And this is the funniest part. What happened to the verses and how are they reinterpreted in a religion you referred to as obsolete with the people not ready to modernise it. You seemed to study the quran in an absurd way or rather didn't even really studied it but picked up points to question its authenticity. Besides, it's better of you support your ascertions with proof.
CONTRADICTION bruv. You proudly posted about not subscribing to the ideology of any religion. That you view it as a first party or what was the English you used earlier. Unlike us the third parties. I felt you were objectively searching for the truth. But here is a sentiment. You don't trust the Qur'an because the bible and Jews don't. Impartial Xmuslim.
Read!!!!
Re: What Is The Reason For Cutting Baby's Hair In Islam? by Xmuslim: 12:46am On Jun 27, 2020
gentleibraheem:

Breeze don blow oh, fowl nyash go soon open.
Oga Xmuslim what do you understand by eeman. You should know better that it goes beyond bearing witness that prophet Muhammad is the messenger of Allah. I guess this research is up to you. Mind you the concept of eeman is very elementary in Islamic schools Xmuslim.
Why do you think any punishment is OK but eternal hell. I'd like to understand what you're thinking while typing that .
And this is the funniest part. What happened to the verses and how are they reinterpreted in a religion you referred to as obsolete with the people not ready to modernise it. You seemed to study the quran in an absurd way or rather didn't even really studied it but picked up points to question its authenticity. Besides, it's better of you support your ascertions with proof.
CONTRADICTION bruv. You proudly posted about not subscribing to the ideology of any religion. That you view it as a first party or what was the English you used earlier. Unlike us the third parties. I felt you were objectively searching for the truth. But here is a sentiment. You don't trust the Qur'an because the bible and Jews don't. Impartial Xmuslim.
Read!!!!
regarding the first part,go and ask your scholar about the condition of entering paradise in Islam and come back to reply me. It seems you have very little knowledge about Islam.

I don't need to reply the remaining part of your write up. Its a waste of time trying to explain to someone with confirmation biase. You will always be right in your mind grin
Re: What Is The Reason For Cutting Baby's Hair In Islam? by yetunsbay(m): 6:15am On Jun 27, 2020
Elzakzaky:
Jesus is the way, the truth and the life. No one enters heaven except through him
dey there and be deceiving yourself. Meanwhile , I belief in prophet Isa (Jesus)
Re: What Is The Reason For Cutting Baby's Hair In Islam? by meekmill(m): 7:12am On Jun 27, 2020
Xmuslim:
regarding the first part,go and ask your scholar about the condition of entering paradise in Islam and come back to reply me. It seems you have very little knowledge about Islam.

I don't need to reply the remaining part of your write up. Its a waste of time trying to explain to someone with confirmation biase. You will always be right in your mind grin

Oh man , I don’t Think you were a Muslim at first,
Because you know nothing, and you tryna spend excessive time just to criticize the religion because you have a weak level of faith , you might be infected, please get treated fast!!!
Re: What Is The Reason For Cutting Baby's Hair In Islam? by AbuAeesha: 7:18am On Jun 27, 2020
Xmuslim:

I'm no more a Muslim, but I have answer to your question.

Shaving children hair and killing animal as a sacrifice on behalf of the baby is a popular pegan pre-Islamic practice.

Muhammad/Islam adopted the practice with little modifications

1. Muslim kill the animal on the seventh day after birth
2. Muslim don't stain the head of the baby with the blood of the animal like the pegan use to do.

Summary

It is a culture that Muhammad met in his community and adopted into his religion. But many today's Muslim do not know and they are not ready to modernise their Islam to suit the current century because they are afraid of hell fire. Maybe they think their God is brutal
1. It is established from the Sunnah that the head of
the child is to be shaved on the seventh day after
the birth:
From Samurah (radiyallaahu `anhu) that Allaah’s
Messenger (salallaahu `alaihi wassallaam) said:
“A child is held in pledge by his `aqeeqah that is
slaughtered on his behalf on the seventh day, and
he is named and his head is shaved.”
Reported by Ahmad (7/5), Abu Dawood (2838), At-
Tirmidhee (1522). It was graded Saheeh by: At-
Tirmidhee, Al-Haakim, Abdur-Razzaaq Al-Ishbeelee
and others.
Salmaan Ibn `Aamir Ad-Dabbee (radiyallaahu ‘anhu)
said that: I heard Allaah’s Messenger (salallaahu
`alaihi wassallam) say:
“For the child there is an `aqeeqah, so spill blood
on his behalf (i.e. slaughter an animal) and remove
from him harm.”
Al-Bukhaaree (5472), Abu Dawood (2839).
Al-Hasan Al-Basree (d. 110H, rahimahullaah) said:
“The removal of harm is shaving the head.”
Reported by Abu Dawood (2840).
Ibn Abdil-Barr said in At-Tamheed (4/318) said:
“As for the shaving of the head of the child at the
time of `aqeeqah, then the scholars used to
recommend that – and it is established from the
Prophet (salallaahu `alaihi wassallam) in the
hadeeth regarding the `aqeeqah, ‘His head is shaved
and he is named.'”
2. Some benefits concerning the shaving of the
head of a baby:
Ibnul-Qayyim (rahimahullaah) said in At-Tuhfatul-
Mawlood (p.121):
“Removing the harm from him, and the removal of
weak hair so that stronger hair replaces it, which is
firmer than what was there before, and it is better
for one’s head. Alongside that there is relief for the
child, and opening of the pores in the scalp so that
the unpleasant vapour may escape with ease. And
in that there is a strengthening of the eyesight, the
nasal passage and the hearing.”
3. An issue: Should the hair of a baby girl be
shaved?
In this there is some differing between the Scholars,
but what is apparent is that the head of the baby
girl is also to be shaved for the following reasons:
Maalik Ibn Anas (d.179H, rahimahullaah) narrated
in Al-Muwatta (2/501) from Ja`far Ibn Muhammad,
from his father who said:
“Faatimah the daughter of Allaah’s Messenger
(salallaahu `alaihi wassallam) weighed the hair of
Hasan, Husayn, Zaynab and Umm Kulthoom, and
she gave its weight in silver as charity.”
This narration is mursal-saheeh (authentic except
for the fact that there is a narrator missing) –
however, there is within it Muhammad Ibn Al-
Husayn Ibn `Alee Ibn Abee Taalib (radiyallaahu
`anhumaa) who narrates this from his family, and he
is more knowledgeable concerning them. And this
is supported by the statement of the Messenger
(salallaahu `alaihi wassallam):
“And shave his head.”
Furthermore the Prophet (salallaahu `alaihi
wassallam) explained the wisdom behind removing
the hair of the new-born because it is harmful
saying: “And remove from him harm.”
So this encompasses every new-born, whether it be
male or female, and Allaah knows best.
that's the reasons for shaving with reference so u can confirm, not what you thought.islam isn't based on just thoughts.
May God grant us more guidance
Re: What Is The Reason For Cutting Baby's Hair In Islam? by gentleibraheem(m): 12:35pm On Jun 27, 2020
Xmuslim:

Dont end it this way please. It shows you dont have a valid response to my comment and that is the least I expect from you. Because you sounded intelligent initially but it seems you're getting frustrated at this juncture. (And that is not my intention)
I want to see things from your own point of view
Re: What Is The Reason For Cutting Baby's Hair In Islam? by Xmuslim: 2:18pm On Jun 27, 2020
gentleibraheem:

Dont end it this way please. It shows you dont have a valid response to my comment and that is the least I expect from you. Because you sounded intelligent initially but it seems you're getting frustrated at this juncture. (And that is not my intention)
I want to see things from your own point of view

Well, I wish we could continue. However, we can't reach a reasonable conclusion because of our different approach.

While I am here for the unbiase exploration of the truth, you are defending your religion. So, it does not matter any explanation I give. You will always defend your religion until the indoctrination is off your body system (which may take forever)

I don't really blame you for such biase and defensive method towards your religion, because you are a victim of misinformation and long term indoctrination. You are innocent to some extent. I wish you all the best.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Reason For Cutting Baby's Hair In Islam? by Oricha62(m): 5:10am On Jun 28, 2020
Olabenjamen22:

Your IQ is beyond repair, atheist are dealing with you guys you are here calling Christians, are you alright at all?
I send my salaam to you all .
Re: What Is The Reason For Cutting Baby's Hair In Islam? by ymstar(m): 1:43pm On Jul 28, 2020
Ok
Re: What Is The Reason For Cutting Baby's Hair In Islam? by Tayorshd2(m): 4:31am On Oct 01, 2022
Wat about if u are told not to shave it by different prophet but yet u are a muslim

Wat will you do ??

AbuAeesha:

1. It is established from the Sunnah that the head of
the child is to be shaved on the seventh day after
the birth:
From Samurah (radiyallaahu `anhu) that Allaah’s
Messenger (salallaahu `alaihi wassallaam) said:
“A child is held in pledge by his `aqeeqah that is
slaughtered on his behalf on the seventh day, and
he is named and his head is shaved.”
Reported by Ahmad (7/5), Abu Dawood (2838), At-
Tirmidhee (1522). It was graded Saheeh by: At-
Tirmidhee, Al-Haakim, Abdur-Razzaaq Al-Ishbeelee
and others.
Salmaan Ibn `Aamir Ad-Dabbee (radiyallaahu ‘anhu)
said that: I heard Allaah’s Messenger (salallaahu
`alaihi wassallam) say:
“For the child there is an `aqeeqah, so spill blood
on his behalf (i.e. slaughter an animal) and remove
from him harm.”
Al-Bukhaaree (5472), Abu Dawood (2839).
Al-Hasan Al-Basree (d. 110H, rahimahullaah) said:
“The removal of harm is shaving the head.”
Reported by Abu Dawood (2840).
Ibn Abdil-Barr said in At-Tamheed (4/318) said:
“As for the shaving of the head of the child at the
time of `aqeeqah, then the scholars used to
recommend that – and it is established from the
Prophet (salallaahu `alaihi wassallam) in the
hadeeth regarding the `aqeeqah, ‘His head is shaved
and he is named.'”
2. Some benefits concerning the shaving of the
head of a baby:
Ibnul-Qayyim (rahimahullaah) said in At-Tuhfatul-
Mawlood (p.121):
“Removing the harm from him, and the removal of
weak hair so that stronger hair replaces it, which is
firmer than what was there before, and it is better
for one’s head. Alongside that there is relief for the
child, and opening of the pores in the scalp so that
the unpleasant vapour may escape with ease. And
in that there is a strengthening of the eyesight, the
nasal passage and the hearing.”
3. An issue: Should the hair of a baby girl be
shaved?
In this there is some differing between the Scholars,
but what is apparent is that the head of the baby
girl is also to be shaved for the following reasons:
Maalik Ibn Anas (d.179H, rahimahullaah) narrated
in Al-Muwatta (2/501) from Ja`far Ibn Muhammad,
from his father who said:
“Faatimah the daughter of Allaah’s Messenger
(salallaahu `alaihi wassallam) weighed the hair of
Hasan, Husayn, Zaynab and Umm Kulthoom, and
she gave its weight in silver as charity.”
This narration is mursal-saheeh (authentic except
for the fact that there is a narrator missing) –
however, there is within it Muhammad Ibn Al-
Husayn Ibn `Alee Ibn Abee Taalib (radiyallaahu
`anhumaa) who narrates this from his family, and he
is more knowledgeable concerning them. And this
is supported by the statement of the Messenger
(salallaahu `alaihi wassallam):
“And shave his head.”
Furthermore the Prophet (salallaahu `alaihi
wassallam) explained the wisdom behind removing
the hair of the new-born because it is harmful
saying: “And remove from him harm.”
So this encompasses every new-born, whether it be
male or female, and Allaah knows best.
that's the reasons for shaving with reference so u can confirm, not what you thought.islam isn't based on just thoughts.
May God grant us more guidance
Re: What Is The Reason For Cutting Baby's Hair In Islam? by AbuAeesha: 11:22am On Oct 02, 2022
Tayorshd2:
Wat about if u are told not to shave it by different prophet but yet u are a muslim

Wat will you do ??

like by another Prophet other than Prophet Muhammad?
1. Qur'an says وان تطيعه تهتدو...And if you follow him (Prophet Muhammad)you shall be guided.Meaning the true is by following teaching of Muhammad.
2. The Qur'an says and We haven't sent you(Prophet Muhammad) except as a mercy to all being. meaning the message of Prophet Muhammad is to all being. and this does not conflicts the teachings of other prophets sent by God, except that those prophet were sent to certain persons or nations.
so we are to adhere to the teachings of Prophet Muhammad as much as we could.
God bless you!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Canadian Mathematician Tried To Prove Quran False, Ended Up Accepting Islam / Islamic Rulings On Buying And Selling Akube/okirika Clothes / Multiple Bombings Rock Saudi Arabia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.