Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,693 members, 7,820,419 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:29 PM

Is Alcohol Consumption A Sin? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Alcohol Consumption A Sin? (1604 Views)

Is Alcohol Consumption Sinful Enough To Take One To Hell? / Is Alcohol Consumption A Sin / Is Alcohol Consumption A Sin? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Alcohol Consumption A Sin? by Nobody: 3:29pm On Jan 27, 2011
Thanks
Re: Is Alcohol Consumption A Sin? by kingadeoba(m): 4:53pm On Jan 27, 2011
it a sin I ll prove it by the Bible if you're a Christian in my next reply
Re: Is Alcohol Consumption A Sin? by Nobody: 5:07pm On Jan 27, 2011
I AM a christian and I fully believe in God,Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit.
Re: Is Alcohol Consumption A Sin? by JeSoul(f): 5:09pm On Jan 27, 2011
Oga freshdude, this topic has been debated here countless times. Please check out this thread and the google link below for many other threads. Godbless.

Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol?  
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-319288.0.html#msg4481678

http://www.google.com.ng/cse?cx=partner-pub-6465801557104924%3Abko28ysgdng&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=alcohol+sin&siteurl=www.nairaland.com%2Fnigeria%2Ftopic-319288.0.html
Re: Is Alcohol Consumption A Sin? by inedi: 9:16pm On Jan 27, 2011
no it is not a sin
Re: Is Alcohol Consumption A Sin? by Azibalua(f): 9:34am On Jan 29, 2011
Matthew 15:11
11 It is not what goes into the mouth of a man that makes him unclean and defiled, but what comes out of the mouth; this makes a man unclean and defiles[ him].
Re: Is Alcohol Consumption A Sin? by Dalby(m): 11:50am On Jan 29, 2011
1 Timothy 5:23

New Living Translation (©2007)
Don't drink only water. You ought to drink a little wine for the sake of your stomach because you are sick so often.

English Standard Version (©2001)
(No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for the sake of your stomach and your frequent ailments.)

New American Standard Bible (©1995)
No longer drink water exclusively, but use a little wine for the sake of your stomach and your frequent ailments.

International Standard Version (©2008)
Stop drinking only water, but use a little wine for your stomach because of your frequent illnesses.

GOD'S WORD® Translation (©1995)
Stop drinking only water. Instead, drink a little wine for your stomach because you are frequently sick.

King James Bible
Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities.

American King James Version
Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for your stomach's sake and your often infirmities.

American Standard Version
Be no longer a drinker of water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities.

Bible in Basic English
Do not take only water as your drink, but take a little wine for the good of your stomach, and because you are frequently ill.

Douay-Rheims Bible
Do not still drink water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake, and thy frequent infirmities.

Darby Bible Translation
Drink no longer only water, but use a little wine on account of thy stomach and thy frequent illnesses.

English Revised Version
Be no longer a drinker of water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities.

Webster's Bible Translation
Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake, and thy frequent infirmities.

Weymouth New Testament

World English Bible
Be no longer a drinker of water only, but use a little wine for your stomach's sake and your frequent infirmities.

Young's Literal Translation
no longer be drinking water, but a little wine be using, because of thy stomach and of thine often infirmities;
Re: Is Alcohol Consumption A Sin? by citadeledu: 3:47pm On Jan 31, 2011
my dear ,ignoring a fact doesnt change that fact,drinking achohol is a sin when you are born again and i ll prove it with biblical refrences

NUMBERS 6 vs 3
LEVETICUS 10 vs 9
JUDGES 13 vs 4
What God commands Christians regarding alcohol is to avoid drunkenness (Ephesians 5:18). The Bible condemns drunkenness and its effects (Proverbs 23:29-35). Christians are also commanded to not allow theirbodies to be “mastered” by anything (1 Corinthians 6:12;2 Peter 2:19). Drinking alcohol in excess is undeniably addictive. Scripture also forbids a Christian from doing anything  that might offend other Christians or encourage them to sin against their conscience (1 Corinthians 8:9-13). In light of these principles, it would be extremely difficult for any Christian to say he is drinking alcohol in excess to the glory of God (1 Corinthians 10:31).
Yes i know there are many vs. such as this one that say wine is good but the fact is this is not talking about fermented wine. *.YAYIN: Intoxicating, fermented wine *.TIROSH: Fresh grape juice *.SHAKAR: Intoxicating, intensely alcoholic, strong drinkThese are the three definitions of wine in the old testament taken from any dictionary made in the 1860's or before will say that wine is fermented and unfremented we today have changed the meanings of many words Believing the word wine every time you see it in the bible is fermented,would be like saying everytime you see the word man in the bible that it is a male all because we today changed too much. Alright thanks i ll stop here
Re: Is Alcohol Consumption A Sin? by nuella2(f): 4:33pm On Jan 31, 2011
Abeg no drink ogogoro before you go out for evangelism, cos the smell fit make demon vex slap you grin grin grin

Abi you go dey read revelation when you tell the person to open to John 3v16, cos you go dey see double.
Re: Is Alcohol Consumption A Sin? by Dalby(m): 12:32pm On Feb 01, 2011
citadeledu:

my dear ,ignoring a fact doesn't change that fact,drinking Ashil is a sin when you are born again and i ll prove it with biblical references

NUMBERS 6 vs 3
LEVETICUS 10 vs 9
JUDGES 13 vs 4
What God commands Christians regarding alcohol is to avoid drunkenness (Ephesians 5:18). The Bible condemns drunkenness and its effects (Proverbs 23:29-35). Christians are also commanded to not allow theirbodies to be “mastered” by anything (1 Corinthians 6:12;2 Peter 2:19). Drinking alcohol in excess is undeniably addictive. Scripture also forbids a Christian from doing anything that might offend other Christians or encourage them to sin against their conscience (1 Corinthians 8:9-13). In light of these principles, it would be extremely difficult for any Christian to say he is drinking alcohol in excess to the glory of God (1 Corinthians 10:31).
Yes i know there are many vs. such as this one that say wine is good but the fact is this is not talking about fermented wine. *.YAYIN: Intoxicating, fermented wine *.TIROSH: Fresh grape juice *.SHAKAR: Intoxicating, intensely alcoholic, strong drinkThese are the three definitions of wine in the old testament taken from any dictionary made in the 1860's or before will say that wine is fermented and unfremented we today have changed the meanings of many words Believing the word wine every time you see it in the bible is fermented,would be like saying everytime you see the word man in the bible that it is a male all because we today changed too much. Alright thanks i ll stop here

Numbers 6 vr 1-4
Num 6:1 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,
Num 6:2 Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, When either man or woman shall separate [themselves] to vow a vow of a Nazarite, to separate [themselves] unto the LORD:
Num 6:3 He shall separate [himself] from wine and strong drink, and shall drink no vinegar of wine, or vinegar of strong drink, neither shall he drink any liquor of grapes, nor eat moist grapes, or dried.
Num 6:4 All the days of his separation shall he eat nothing that is made of the vine tree, from the kernels even to the husk.

This is when a vow is made we should make conclusions from the context, not just a verse

Lev 10vr 8-11

Lev 10:8 And the LORD spake unto Aaron, saying,
Lev 10:9 Do not drink wine nor strong drink, thou, nor thy sons with thee, when ye go into the tabernacle of the congregation, lest ye die: [it shall be] a statute for ever throughout your generations:
Lev 10:10 And that ye may put difference between holy and unholy, and between unclean and clean;
Lev 10:11 And that ye may teach the children of Israel all the statutes which the LORD hath spoken unto them by the hand of Moses.

Judges 13 vs 1 - 25

. . . .

Judges 13 vr 3 And the angel of the LORD appeared unto the woman, and said unto her, Behold now, thou art barren, and bearest not: but thou shalt conceive, and bear a son.
Judges 13 vr 4 Now therefore beware, I pray thee, and drink not wine nor strong drink, and eat not any unclean thing:
Judges 13 vr 5 For, lo, thou shalt conceive, and bear a son; and no razor shall come on his head: for the child shall be a Nazarite unto God from the womb: and he shall begin to deliver Israel out of the hand of the Philistines.

. . . .

A vow was to be made here by Samsons mother who had been barren and was about to be blessed with a child (Samson). If it was meant to be a No No it would have been added with the 10 commandment, to probably be the 11th
Re: Is Alcohol Consumption A Sin? by tpiah2: 1:09pm On Feb 01, 2011
chipping it in a Spirit-controlled service where I am most spiritual gnaws at my conviction.

explain this plz.

you were sipping alcohol during a church service?

(1) (Reply)

What It Means To Follow Jesus: By Dag Heward Mills. / True Meaning Of Worship / The CallED, The SanctifiED And The PreservED - An Exposition On Jude Verse One.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.