Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,902 members, 7,814,053 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:10 AM

History Of Etche People In Rivers State. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / History Of Etche People In Rivers State. (3158 Views)

Who Noticed What NTA Did While Gov. Wike Was Speaking At Etche LGA / Cynthia Nwala, Etche Legislative Assembly Leader Beaten & Stripped Unclad / Nyesom Wike Blowing Correct Igbo To The Etche People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

History Of Etche People In Rivers State. by Ctorch: 4:46pm On Jun 20, 2020
Etche people migrated from Benin.

THE BENIN ORIGIN:

In a very ambitious attempt to construct the historical past of Etche, Achonwa (1980) traced the migration of the people from a particular place and point in time. According to him: The Etche people left the Benin Kingdom about 7th century. They moved up to Agbor, and entered the Orashi River through Ndoni. Creek-settling for brief while at the present-day Omoku … they moved eastwards up to Abua. They crossed Abua to Ndele on land; stopping finally at Igbo, the first Etche settlement. There is the speculation that “this horde” was an amalgam of many other tribes, which according to Achonwa included the Ikwerres, Abuans, Ekpeyes, etc. He submits that this was responsible for the settlement known as Ikwerre-Ngwo – a conglomerate of peoples. According to Onyema (2000), Etche is part of the Benin in Diaspora of the fourteenth century.

He moved along with the Ogbas, Ekpeyes and Ikwerres. They crossed the River Niger from one spot and spread themselves southwesterly and southeasterly from the spot they crossed the River Niger. This myth has some credence. There is similarity of language among the Ogbas, the Ikwerres and the Etches. There is also similarity of language between the “Etches” and Igbodos” of Delta State. “Igbodo” is a town between Asaba and Agbor in Delta State. There is a town called Obite in Ogba land and Obite town in Etche. Also, an address sent to the Ekpeye people in their annual “OGWU EKPEYE” cultural festival by the Oba of Benin confirmed this aspect of the history. The present Oba of Benin was one time Divisional Officer in the then Ahoada Division, which comprised Etche, Ikwerre, Ekpeye, Ogba and Abua. They were then known as clans.
Re: History Of Etche People In Rivers State. by Nobody: 4:55pm On Jun 20, 2020
Well I think the history is in order.

Etche People in Rivers state are Benin people.

While the Etche People in Imo state are Igbos.

I agree with the history...

5 Likes

Re: History Of Etche People In Rivers State. by BREYZ: 4:57pm On Jun 20, 2020
Wetin you wan use this history do?

1 Like

Re: History Of Etche People In Rivers State. by Nwanyiogwashi(f): 4:57pm On Jun 20, 2020
Juliusmalema:

While the Etche People Imo state are Igbos.

grin cheesy grin cheesy best answer

5 Likes

Re: History Of Etche People In Rivers State. by AskProf: 4:59pm On Jun 20, 2020
Ctorch:
Etche people are migrated from Benin.

THE BENIN ORIGIN:

In a very ambitious attempt to construct the historical past of Etche, Achonwa (1980) traced the migration of the people from a particular place and point in time. According to him: The Etche people left the Benin Kingdom about 7th century. They moved up to Agbor, and entered the Orashi River through Ndoni. Creek-settling for brief while at the present-day Omoku … they moved eastwards up to Abua. They crossed Abua to Ndele on land; stopping finally at Igbo, the first Etche settlement. There is the speculation that “this horde” was an amalgam of many other tribes, which according to Achonwa included the Ikwerres, Abuans, Ekpeyes, etc. He submits that this was responsible for the settlement known as Ikwerre-Ngwo – a conglomerate of peoples. According to Onyema (2000), Etche is part of the Benin in Diaspora of the fourteenth century.

He moved along with the Ogbas, Ekpeyes and Ikwerres. They crossed the River Niger from one spot and spread themselves southwesterly and southeasterly from the spot they crossed the River Niger. This myth has some credence. There is similarity of language among the Ogbas, the Ikwerres and the Etches. There is also similarity of language between the “Etches” and Igbodos” of Delta State. “Igbodo” is a town between Asaba and Agbor in Delta State. There is a town called Obite in Ogba land and Obite town in Etche. Also, an address sent to the Ekpeye people in their annual “OGWU EKPEYE” cultural festival by the Oba of Benin confirmed this aspect of the history. The present Oba of Benin was one time Divisional Officer in the then Ahoada Division, which comprised Etche, Ikwerre, Ekpeye, Ogba and Abua. They were then known as clans.

Who taught you history?
Re: History Of Etche People In Rivers State. by Bethel4Life(f): 5:01pm On Jun 20, 2020
Hhmm
Re: History Of Etche People In Rivers State. by Endlesspeace(f): 5:01pm On Jun 20, 2020
lipsrsealed
Re: History Of Etche People In Rivers State. by Bethel4Life(f): 5:02pm On Jun 20, 2020
Re: History Of Etche People In Rivers State. by caleboxylic: 5:10pm On Jun 20, 2020
Hahhahhahah. Nothing I won't read on nairaland.
Re: History Of Etche People In Rivers State. by proeast(m): 5:19pm On Jun 20, 2020
Most people have myths and legends, these are stories that are told to children at bedtime. It doesn't change facts.

3 Likes

Re: History Of Etche People In Rivers State. by IDENNAA(m): 5:22pm On Jun 20, 2020
The history is in order. Good luck to Etche and may you people prosper ! Peace

1 Like

Re: History Of Etche People In Rivers State. by DrGoodman: 5:27pm On Jun 20, 2020
Hogwash.

I can write my own and claim that Yoruba people migrated from Idoma, crossed the Niger river and spread westwards, floated on the benin river and landed at ife and that the first yoruba man to arrive is Oduduwa in the 13th century.

Please accept this hogwash also.

4 Likes

Re: History Of Etche People In Rivers State. by Nobody: 5:30pm On Jun 20, 2020
Etche too want to start claiming none Igbo ? Even with them being the custodian of amadioha

Lol ...they can be from hell or heave for all I care ....the Igbo race is a premium race ....we are a great people .... anyone who feels so big to distance themselves no problem ooh

7 Likes

Re: History Of Etche People In Rivers State. by gartamanta: 5:30pm On Jun 20, 2020
They say Etches, Ikwerres and Ogba are all from Bini. Today, all three speak Igbo and have Igbo names. Why would Bini people migrate to present day Rivers state and forget both their language and names? Is Bini that far from Rivers? Someone explain to me why Bini people who migrated sonewhere chose to forget their language and names?

7 Likes

Re: History Of Etche People In Rivers State. by caleboxylic: 5:34pm On Jun 20, 2020
Ikwerre and others that did that was because of the Nigeria Uncivil War that Biafra lost.

Most of them have stopped denying their igbo history.

4 Likes

Re: History Of Etche People In Rivers State. by Odingo1: 5:35pm On Jun 20, 2020
Hahahaha, nothing person nogo read for here. Etche people that is from Imo state.

6 Likes

Re: History Of Etche People In Rivers State. by AskProf: 5:35pm On Jun 20, 2020
gartamanta:
They say Etches, Ikwerres and Ogba are all from Bini. Today, all three speak Igbo and have Igbo names. Why would Bini people migrate to present day Rivers state and forget both their language and names? Is Bini that far from Rivers? Someone explain to me why Bini people who migrated sonewhere chose to forget their language and names?

Gbam.

4 Likes

Re: History Of Etche People In Rivers State. by donyfrank: 5:37pm On Jun 20, 2020
Don't mind them.
Is it not in dreams, if you dreamt of buying car, built new house and woke, then it won't be real.
But try dream of urinating , it will be real.

Historians indeed

1 Like

Re: History Of Etche People In Rivers State. by Rodwave: 5:43pm On Jun 20, 2020
Juliusmalema:

While the Etche People in Imo state are Igbos.

IDENNAA:
The history is in order. Good luck to Etche and may you people prosper ! Peace

I agree with these. No more debate. Case closed

1 Like

Re: History Of Etche People In Rivers State. by SLAP44: 5:52pm On Jun 20, 2020
DrGoodman:
Hogwash.

I can write my own and claim that Yoruba people migrated from Idoma, crossed the Niger river and spread westwards, floated on the benin river and landed at ife and that the first yoruba man to arrive is Oduduwa in the 13th century.

Please accept this hogwash also.

grin

2 Likes

Re: History Of Etche People In Rivers State. by helinues: 5:57pm On Jun 20, 2020
Interesting
Re: History Of Etche People In Rivers State. by Ekwutox: 6:43pm On Jun 20, 2020
Good for them.

I and my house hold have decided to distance ourselves from the human race, because our ancestors came from Pandora.

This is what we originally look like before inter breeding with human beings.

Since we all want to mad, we can all be mad together.

3 Likes

Re: History Of Etche People In Rivers State. by Savagethe21st(m): 2:56am On Jun 23, 2020
Odingo1:
Hahahaha, nothing person nogo read for here. Etche people that is from Imo state.
bro pls can one have nigeria and german citizenship. Or will one be dropped?
Re: History Of Etche People In Rivers State. by chukaodike: 5:35am On Sep 20, 2023
So how did they lost;
1. Bini names?
2. Bini Language?
3. Bini Town names?
4. Bini Tradition?

Why is it that almost all their ward chairmen have Igbo names?

Why are they speaking Bia, iboolachi, and isalachii?

Why are they town names Okehi, umueze, Igbo-etche, umuebulu, umuaturu, umuede, umuakpo, umudi, umuoye, umuoku, umu ukpo, chokocho, etc

Ozuzu in Etche is where the revered Amadioha shrine is.. it's tradition and Igbos in general revere Amadioha high which all nuke and cranny knows.

Etche in Imo state is same with Etche in Rivers State. Just boundary difference. This attempts to wipe out Igbos and make them unexistent and inconsequential in South South is not practically and realistically possible. Because where are you going start? Egbema in Rivers/Imo? Ukwuani? Ndokwa? Oshimili? Aniocha? Ndoni? Ogba? See no matter how politicians, and medias try to spin it, all these people subconsciously knows there are Igbos and have strong connection with the hinterlands just like me and my friend from Omuma.

This stories are for kids, uneducated and unexposed people. Even the person that wrote this knows it's all lies from the pit of hell.

I'm well exposed and know better now. I'm from Afara, Etche. Just so you know.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

No Longer North Central Call Us Middle Belt Or Central Nigeria. / What Would Happen To Nigeria If The US Imposed Trade Sanctions On Us? / Proof That Peter Obi Will Win 50% Of SW Vote - Check Comment On BBC Yoruba Page

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.