Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,501 members, 7,812,552 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:15 PM

Meeting Between Yoruba And Ibo Leaders In 1989 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Meeting Between Yoruba And Ibo Leaders In 1989 (2068 Views)

Murray-Bruce Announced Bianca Ojukwu As Miss Intercontinental In 1989 (Video) / President Babangida’s Visit To Britain In 1989 (Photos, Video and Memories) / Bianca Onoh Ojukwu As Winner Of Miss Intercontinental In 1989 (Throwback Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Meeting Between Yoruba And Ibo Leaders In 1989 by cocolacec(m): 10:27am On Jun 21, 2020
HISTORICAL PERSPECTIVE OF HATRED BETWEEN IGBO AND YORUBA

I had the privilege of attending some meetings of the Yoruba and Igbo Leaders. I was not a leader but a youth who knew how to wash his hands.

At one of those meetings in Owerri, I think in 1989, I think, I listened to Uncle Bola Ige and other Yoruba Leaders take the likes of Mbakwe, R. B. Okafor and others to the cleaners when the Igbo said the Yoruba were betrayers, citing that Chief Obafemi Awolowo led them into secession with a promise that if the Igbo left Nigeria, the Yoruba would follow suit.

They accused him of not following up on his promise. Trust Uncle Bola Ige! He pointed to Chief Mbakwe and said, "you were there in the meeting between Awolowo and Ojukwu as I was. Is that statement correct?".He turned to two other Igbo and two Yoruba Leaders who were at that meeting and asked the same question, saying he had transcripts of the meeting between Awolowo and Ojukwu.

They kept quiet while the Yoruba Leaders affirmed that Awolowo never promised to follow the East into secession. What he said was that if the Igbo were "driven" out of Nigeria the Yoruba would take it seriously and reassess their own position. Igbo Leaders DID NOT CONTEST this version.

Then Chief Bola Ige threw in the clincher! "Who are you to accuse the Yoruba of betrayal?" he roared, and continued:

1. At Independence Awolowo offered a joint government between the NCNC and AG, with Zik as Prime Minister and Awo as Finance Minister. Awo and Zik "were still negotiating" when it was announced that Zik would be President in a coalition with NPC of the North. The East then collaborated in destroying the West and sending Awolowo and his leutenants to jail!

2. What of the 1965 elections which the West and the East agreed to boycott? We met all night and reached agreement about 3am on the day of the election. In the morning, while the Yoruba boycotted the election, the Igbo went to vote

3. After the 1979 elections Yoruba (UPN) and Igbo (APP?) Leaders were still at the negotiating table for a coalition when to their surprise, an announcement was heard that the Igbo (APP) had agreed to a coalition with the North (NPN)

4. After the 1983 elections, 1979 repeated itself. Not giving up, Awolowo reached out to Azikiwe again for cooperation. Talks started and they met in Benin where Awo pleaded passionately that only a collaboration between The Igbo and the Yoruba could save Nigeria. They didn't reach agreement but promised to meet again. Before the next meeting, the Igbo had again teamed up with the North.

Uncle Bola paused and then continued "we can go on and on. So how dare you accuse the Yoruba of betrayal? How many Igbo have been killed in Lagos, Ibadan, Akure, Oshogbo (he mentioned other Yoruba towns)? You have your businesses in the West and went to Western schools. Yet you count the Yoruba as your enemy. You get killed in Kaduna, Kano, Bauchi, Zaria etc and have your goods looted yet you consider the Hausa/ Fulani your friends. It's your choice. If you want to be slaves for ever, we can't help you"

I had never been so scared in my life. I thought the roof was going to fall. There was a pin drop silence and no Igbo dared interrupt Uncle Bola Ige because he was telling the truth. The Yoruba Leaders ended the meeting at that point and left. I hope Chief C. O. Adebayo's memoirs will give more details of those exchanges.

Now to make three points from all this:

A. The Yoruba have been stretching their hand across the Niger for a handshake for a long time. The Igbo refused to take it for a long time until recently

B. Many Igbo Leaders of the 70s, 80s and 90s deliberately perpetrated the legend of Awolowo's role betraying them into the civil war and his role in prosecuting the war, to rally the Igbo population behind themselves. The Igbo agreed on Yoruba hatred than on any other issue. So it was the fabric that held them together for a long time

C. Time heals all things. Many Igbo reading this will be hearing for the first time that their leaders of old knew for a truth that Awolowo did not break his word to Ojukwu as alleged.

Me: Nothing can make ißo like Yoruba people since they teach hatred from birth despite breeding across Yorubaland with equal rights, ißo still hates the good people of Yorubaland.Yorubaland must retain that position back as the fastest growing region in the 50s and 60s. Yorubaland must be great again.

12 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Meeting Between Yoruba And Ibo Leaders In 1989 by Toosure70: 10:34am On Jun 21, 2020
Only if we can unite.

1 Like

Re: Meeting Between Yoruba And Ibo Leaders In 1989 by Amotolongbo(f): 10:41am On Jun 21, 2020
Lovely take on by Late Chief Bola Ige

2 Likes

Re: Meeting Between Yoruba And Ibo Leaders In 1989 by tatatar: 10:42am On Jun 21, 2020
Chill
They can't just forget so soon how a Yoruba leader used 3million of them for suya.
Let them mourn.

1 Like

Re: Meeting Between Yoruba And Ibo Leaders In 1989 by Nonybb: 10:43am On Jun 21, 2020
But Yorubas are still slave to the Hausa-Fulanis. Why can't you people talk about ODUDUWA REPUBLIC

7 Likes

Re: Meeting Between Yoruba And Ibo Leaders In 1989 by Nobody: 10:43am On Jun 21, 2020
It is their father's that failed..... I read the full details of the transcript BTW Awo and Ojukwu...

Azikwe fvcked Eastern Nigeria up but igbos wunt accept... They want to die in yoruba land and they still claim we hate them...

Their fathers taught them hatred from birth..

No problem. Igbos can go with the north.. WEST STILL STAND ALONE..

cc: GBOKASINCHA gabkosh anambralstson proeast helinues ipobantidote ipobflathead salewa97

4 Likes

Re: Meeting Between Yoruba And Ibo Leaders In 1989 by Nobody: 10:45am On Jun 21, 2020
Nonybb:
But Yorubas are still slave to the Hausa-Fulanis. Why can't you people talk about ODUDUWA REPUBLIC

Ur leaders in the east are still slave to North...
Ur father Azikwe betrayed the South and went to the North.. Deal with that

Oduduwa come or not, we Yorubas live well.. We dont give a fvck.. 2023, we are ruling again

U Sud be concerned about igbo plight coz u can never rule Nigeria....

U can't even get Biafra... So u lost in two ways gringrin

12 Likes

Re: Meeting Between Yoruba And Ibo Leaders In 1989 by Nobody: 10:48am On Jun 21, 2020
I repeat, this is not abt hate ooo..

With the kind of atmosphere igbos have caused in this nation,, they will never and can never rule this nation...

They shud just be satisfied with their 5 SE states.....

Yorubas only loved them but they turn it to hate... This same hate they inherited from their fathers

9 Likes

Re: Meeting Between Yoruba And Ibo Leaders In 1989 by Nobody: 10:52am On Jun 21, 2020
Nonybb:

See who your fathers voted in 11 elections..

Now let's talk boy, who are the real slaves??

10 Likes

Re: Meeting Between Yoruba And Ibo Leaders In 1989 by Asgard13: 10:59am On Jun 21, 2020
We come on time

Yoruba WhatsApp group thread

Na this one una wan release

The Nigerian government is dealing serious is Tinubu and his acn group

Yoruba people of southwest wan use style divert attention

On top igbos matter

Let’s go there

2 Likes

Re: Meeting Between Yoruba And Ibo Leaders In 1989 by Asgard13: 11:02am On Jun 21, 2020
ProfDview1:

Ur leaders in the east are still slave to North...
Ur father Azikwe betrayed the South and went to the North.. Deal with that

Oduduwa come or not, we Yorubas live well.. We dont give a fvck.. 2023, we are ruling again

U Sud be concerned about igbo plight coz u can never rule Nigeria....

U can't even get Biafra... So u lost in two ways gringrin

E b like say oil enter your brain ba?

Hausa Fulani Dey incharge og government in power

You Dey here the yarn dust

Tinubu and all Yoruba people are now taking orders from the former recharge card seller...

Na the boy be osibanjo Boss now

Reason am

5 Likes

Re: Meeting Between Yoruba And Ibo Leaders In 1989 by Asgard13: 11:04am On Jun 21, 2020
cocolacec:
HISTORICAL PERSPECTIVE OF HATRED BETWEEN IGBO AND YORUBA

I had the privilege of attending some meetings of the Yoruba and Igbo Leaders. I was not a leader but a youth who knew how to wash his hands.

At one of those meetings in Owerri, I think in 1989, I think, I listened to Uncle Bola Ige and other Yoruba Leaders take the likes of Mbakwe, R. B. Okafor and others to the cleaners when the Igbo said the Yoruba were betrayers, citing that Chief Obafemi Awolowo led them into secession with a promise that if the Igbo left Nigeria, the Yoruba would follow suit.

They accused him of not following up on his promise. Trust Uncle Bola Ige! He pointed to Chief Mbakwe and said, "you were there in the meeting between Awolowo and Ojukwu as I was. Is that statement correct?".He turned to two other Igbo and two Yoruba Leaders who were at that meeting and asked the same question, saying he had transcripts of the meeting between Awolowo and Ojukwu.

They kept quiet while the Yoruba Leaders affirmed that Awolowo never promised to follow the East into secession. What he said was that if the Igbo were "driven" out of Nigeria the Yoruba would take it seriously and reassess their own position. Igbo Leaders DID NOT CONTEST this version.

Then Chief Bola Ige threw in the clincher! "Who are you to accuse the Yoruba of betrayal?" he roared, and continued:

1. At Independence Awolowo offered a joint government between the NCNC and AG, with Zik as Prime Minister and Awo as Finance Minister. Awo and Zik "were still negotiating" when it was announced that Zik would be President in a coalition with NPC of the North. The East then collaborated in destroying the West and sending Awolowo and his leutenants to jail!

2. What of the 1965 elections which the West and the East agreed to boycott? We met all night and reached agreement about 3am on the day of the election. In the morning, while the Yoruba boycotted the election, the Igbo went to vote

3. After the 1979 elections Yoruba (UPN) and Igbo (APP?) Leaders were still at the negotiating table for a coalition when to their surprise, an announcement was heard that the Igbo (APP) had agreed to a coalition with the North (NPN)

4. After the 1983 elections, 1979 repeated itself. Not giving up, Awolowo reached out to Azikiwe again for cooperation. Talks started and they met in Benin where Awo pleaded passionately that only a collaboration between The Igbo and the Yoruba could save Nigeria. They didn't reach agreement but promised to meet again. Before the next meeting, the Igbo had again teamed up with the North.

Uncle Bola paused and then continued "we can go on and on. So how dare you accuse the Yoruba of betrayal? How many Igbo have been killed in Lagos, Ibadan, Akure, Oshogbo (he mentioned other Yoruba towns)? You have your businesses in the West and went to Western schools. Yet you count the Yoruba as your enemy. You get killed in Kaduna, Kano, Bauchi, Zaria etc and have your goods looted yet you consider the Hausa/ Fulani your friends. It's your choice. If you want to be slaves for ever, we can't help you"

I had never been so scared in my life. I thought the roof was going to fall. There was a pin drop silence and no Igbo dared interrupt Uncle Bola Ige because he was telling the truth. The Yoruba Leaders ended the meeting at that point and left. I hope Chief C. O. Adebayo's memoirs will give more details of those exchanges.

Now to make three points from all this:

A. The Yoruba have been stretching their hand across the Niger for a handshake for a long time. The Igbo refused to take it for a long time until recently

B. Many Igbo Leaders of the 70s, 80s and 90s deliberately perpetrated the legend of Awolowo's role betraying them into the civil war and his role in prosecuting the war, to rally the Igbo population behind themselves. The Igbo agreed on Yoruba hatred than on any other issue. So it was the fabric that held them together for a long time

C. Time heals all things. Many Igbo reading this will be hearing for the first time that their leaders of old knew for a truth that Awolowo did not break his word to Ojukwu as alleged.

Me: Nothing can make ißo like Yoruba people since they teach hatred from birth despite breeding across Yorubaland with equal rights, ißo still hates the good people of Yorubaland.Yorubaland must retain that position back as the fastest growing region in the 50s and 60s. Yorubaland must be great again.

Elrufia is using a long cane to flog Tinubu and his Yoruba people

Na s the country Dey right now

3 Likes

Re: Meeting Between Yoruba And Ibo Leaders In 1989 by Nobody: 11:07am On Jun 21, 2020
Asgard13:

E b like say oil enter your brain ba?

Hausa Fulani Dey incharge og government in power

You Dey here the yarn dust

Tinubu and all Yoruba people are now taking orders from the former recharge card seller...

Na the boy be osibanjo Boss now

Reason am

I don't argue with pigs.... Picture speaks better

5 Likes

Re: Meeting Between Yoruba And Ibo Leaders In 1989 by Asgard13: 11:08am On Jun 21, 2020
tatatar:
Chill
They can't just forget so soon how a Yoruba leader used 3million of them for suya.
Let them mourn.

Honesty did ODUDUWA FELL FROM THE SKY/ HEAVEN?

..............BE LIKE BIBLE STORY...

SO ITS TRUE!

Bayerebe’s ..... grin

2 Likes

Re: Meeting Between Yoruba And Ibo Leaders In 1989 by carterguccy(m): 11:08am On Jun 21, 2020
Asgard13:

Elrufia is using a long cane to flog Tinubu and his Yoruba people

Na s the country Dey right now

Tinubu your forefathers nightmare, keep on consoling yourself with this gibberish!

8 Likes

Re: Meeting Between Yoruba And Ibo Leaders In 1989 by carterguccy(m): 11:14am On Jun 21, 2020
Take it or leave it Igbos will never and never be the president of this country without the support of the Yoruba’s. Funny enough Yoruba’s don’t need them to actualize our Presidential ambition cause there are just mere 5%!

Y’all Igbos need to learn politics without hatred! No one gives a fuvk about U.

God bless y’all

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Meeting Between Yoruba And Ibo Leaders In 1989 by Ritchiee: 11:14am On Jun 21, 2020
Yoruba had the fastest growth during regionalism when the North and East marginalised our forefathers but because God had greatly blessed the great Yoruba race,we became the richest,most educated,most developed and most accommodating,liberal and most business savvy Nigerian at home and abroad.

4 Likes

Re: Meeting Between Yoruba And Ibo Leaders In 1989 by Asgard13: 11:16am On Jun 21, 2020
ProfDview1:

I don't argue with pigs.... Picture speaks better

Exactly

Yoruba people keep forcefully attaching themselves to Hausa Fulani... base on envy of old Eastern region .. has plus the undivided loyalty between south and East..

Yet Hausa Fulani keep rejecting them......

Yoruba new propaganda is that igbos hate Hausa Fulani and Yoruba people and other Nigerians

Yet Hausa Fulani Love igbo do business with igbo and still rule with igbos

The envy no gree yoruba .. they wan Dey igbo shoes ...
Na why dem saboteur good luck Jonathan ....

Oga all is s well

2023 yoruba people don Dey chin gum Hausa Fulani ....
Hausa Fulani still the fvck with them

Tinubu have been reduced to wailer...

Is the lawd not wonderful

This is evident of Hausa Fulani partnership with igbos..

Not Yoruba willing slavery.... just to spite igbos...

No be chides

Those Yoruba fulls on my mentions

In Asgard .. no sentiments...

2 Likes

Re: Meeting Between Yoruba And Ibo Leaders In 1989 by Nobody: 11:22am On Jun 21, 2020
Asgard13:

Exactly

Yoruba people keep forcefully attaching themselves to Hausa Fulani... base on envy of old Eastern region .. has plus the undivided loyalty between south and East..

Yet Hausa Fulani keep rejecting them......

Yoruba new propaganda is that igbos hate Hausa Fulani and Yoruba people and other Nigerians

Yet Hausa Fulani Love igbo do business with igbo and still rule with igbos

The envy no gree yoruba .. they wan Dey igbo shoes ...
Na why dem saboteur good luck Jonathan ....

Oga all is s well

2023 yoruba people don Dey chin gum Hausa Fulani ....
Hausa Fulani still the fvck with them

Tinubu have been reduced to wailer...

Is the lawd not wonderful

This is evident of Hausa Fulani partnership with igbos..

Not Yoruba willing slavery.... just to spite igbos...

No be chides

Those Yoruba fulls on my mentions

In Asgard .. no sentiments...

2023.. U guys will wail again... Yoruba coming..

If not tinubu, na osinbajo

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meeting Between Yoruba And Ibo Leaders In 1989 by Realadey(m): 11:26am On Jun 21, 2020
Hmmmm
Re: Meeting Between Yoruba And Ibo Leaders In 1989 by Asgard13: 11:29am On Jun 21, 2020
ProfDview1:

2023.. U guys will wail again... Yoruba coming..

If not tinubu, na osinbajo

Igbos are Nigeria kingmakers

Yoruba will never ever smell it...

This is yoruba government... the brought in Buhari thinking that he will die ... and Yoruba will take over
Now the whole Nigeria is boiling... citizen the provoke ...every body Dey vex...
Even the Yoruba land ma... chronic poverty they radiate... hunger Dey.... villages don empty even major Yoruba cities don turn ghost towns

Buhari is healthy for villa...

Dem don lock door against Tinubu and Yoruba people ... abba kyari slam the door.... “ tunde” seal am...
Yoruba still the forcefully attached grin

Under which party Tinubu or osibanjo go win 2023? grin

Are you blind to the political atmosphere of Nigeria and what’s happening in Apc?

Don’t believe you’re dull....

Oga right now in Nigeria.. Yoruba no get levels...

Checkout the kingmakers.... look the pics well..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meeting Between Yoruba And Ibo Leaders In 1989 by Nobody: 11:31am On Jun 21, 2020
Asgard13:

Igbos are Nigeria kingmakers

Yoruba will never ever smell it...

This is yoruba government... the brought in Buhari thinking that he will die ... and Yoruba will take over
Buhari is healthy for villa...

Dem don lock door against Tinubu and Yoruba people ... abba kyari slam the door.... “ tunde” seal am...
Yoruba still the forcefully attached grin

Under which party Tinubu or osibanjo go win 2023? grin

Are you blind to the political atmosphere of Nigeria and what’s happening in Apc?

Don’t believe you’re dull....

Oga right now in Nigeria.. Yoruba no get levels...

Checkout the kingmakers.... look the pics well..

Olay king makers... One Nigeria then..
Notin like Biafra again gringringringringrin

1 Like

Re: Meeting Between Yoruba And Ibo Leaders In 1989 by Asgard13: 11:33am On Jun 21, 2020
ProfDview1:

Olay king makers... One Nigeria then..
Notin like Biafra again gringringringringrin

Till then bye bye

2 Likes

Re: Meeting Between Yoruba And Ibo Leaders In 1989 by Nobody: 11:38am On Jun 21, 2020
Asgard13:

Till then bye bye
Good... Never quote mi again.. Go ur way ma go my way...

1 Like

Re: Meeting Between Yoruba And Ibo Leaders In 1989 by flokii: 11:47am On Jun 21, 2020
They think they are too wise while others are too daft.. that is their problem.

Upon all their betrayals, Yorubas are still the richest and most successful ethnic group in Africa.

4 Likes

Re: Meeting Between Yoruba And Ibo Leaders In 1989 by johnmartus(m): 11:48am On Jun 21, 2020
I'm expecting you to learn from sad things your forefathers did to southern Nigeria. But instead you are masturbating and typing nonsense. The one that have brain among you would be in sober mood.
Asgard13:
We come on time

Yoruba WhatsApp group thread

Na this one una wan release

The Nigerian government is dealing serious is Tinubu and his acn group

Yoruba people of southwest wan use style divert attention

On top igbos matter

Let’s go there

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meeting Between Yoruba And Ibo Leaders In 1989 by Enyimbafc: 11:53am On Jun 21, 2020
Ritchiee:
Yoruba had the fastest growth during regionalism when the North and East marginalised our forefathers but because God had greatly blessed the great Yoruba race,we became the richest,most educated,most developed and most accommodating,liberal and most business savvy Nigerian at home and abroad.
With all what u mention above,ur people still complain of how igbos dominate them in ladipo market and also buy up yoruba lands in lagos.

3 Likes

Re: Meeting Between Yoruba And Ibo Leaders In 1989 by Asgard13: 11:53am On Jun 21, 2020
johnmartus:
I'm expecting you to learn from sad things your forefathers did to southern Nigeria. But instead you are masturbating and typing nonsense. The one that have brain among you would be in sober mood.

Another full wan attention....

Bayerebe rant.

2 Likes

Re: Meeting Between Yoruba And Ibo Leaders In 1989 by Enyimbafc: 12:01pm On Jun 21, 2020
tatatar:
Chill
Let them mourn.
Yoruba leaders use 3 million of them for suya.But today,their children are buying up ur cursed ancestors lands in lagos and dominating ladipo and other major markets in lagos,while you and ur cursed parents wail like a goat.

1 Like

Re: Meeting Between Yoruba And Ibo Leaders In 1989 by StaffofOrayan(m): 12:06pm On Jun 21, 2020
Have Southern men turned to women?
Re: Meeting Between Yoruba And Ibo Leaders In 1989 by Ritchiee: 12:06pm On Jun 21, 2020
Enyimbafc:
With all what u mention above,ur people still complain of how igbos dominate them in ladipo market and also buy up yoruba lands in lagos.
You cannot buy what you cannot take home.You can only work on Yorubaland for a period and go back to Abakaliki.Why are you running away from Igboland?Igboland is gradually becoming a desert.

2 Likes

Re: Meeting Between Yoruba And Ibo Leaders In 1989 by Ritchiee: 12:09pm On Jun 21, 2020
Enyimbafc:
Yoruba leaders use 3 million of them for suya.But today,their children are buying up ur cursed ancestors lands in lagos and dominating ladipo and other major markets in lagos,while you and ur cursed parents wail like a goat.

Get sense.You have no stake in Lagos.You are just labourers used to develop our lands.Ask Massob.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

If IPOB Stops These Things, All Igbos Will Support Them / Tinubu Becomes President / Nigeria Will Turn To Eldorado With Nnamdi Kanu Arrest & Attack Of Igboho

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.