Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,707 members, 7,820,487 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:41 PM

Why Africa Is Behind The World. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Africa Is Behind The World. (1824 Views)

Why Africa Is Backward (pictures) / South Africa Is Nigeria's Big Brother - Minister / Why Africa Remains Undeveloped –Yar’adua (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Africa Is Behind The World. by Remii(m): 8:57pm On Jan 27, 2011
Subject: So that you may know why Africa is behind the other world,

When you ask that question why Africa is behind, perhaps this is a good reason to reflect on, it just might explain it, See below:

WHY AFRICA IS 25 YEARS BEHIND THE OTHER WORLD, ?

AFRICAN LEADERS & their age

AFRICAN LEADERS
Country
AGE in years

Abdulai Wade
Senegal

Hosni Mubarak
Egypt

Robert Mugabe
Zimbabwe

Hifikepunye Pohamba
Namibia

Rupiah Banda
Zambia

Mwai Kibaki
Kenya

Ellen Johnson Sirleaf
Liberia

Colonel Gaddafi
Libya

Jacob Zuma
South Africa

Bingu Wa Mtalika
Malawi

Average Age:

Approximately

76 years

THE OTHER WORLD LEADERS & their age

THE OTHER WORLD LEADERS
Country
AGE in years

Barrack Obama
USA

David Cameron
UK

Dimitri Medvedev
Russia

Stephen Harper
Canada

Julia Gillard
Australia

Nicolas Sarkozy
France

Luis Zapatero
Spain

Jose Socrates
Portugal

Angela Merkel
Germany

Herman Van Rompuy
Belgium

Average Age:

Approximately

51 years
Re: Why Africa Is Behind The World. by Jen33(m): 9:49pm On Jan 27, 2011
Highly skewed and selective list.

There are many African presidents of the age range of the European ones you posted.

One of them is your own current president.
Re: Why Africa Is Behind The World. by cap28: 9:59pm On Jan 27, 2011
this doesnt tell us anything - the fact that the majority of african leaders are in their 70s does not tell us anything about the root causes of the underdevelopment in africa.

What if i were to turn round and tell you that those african leaders on that list that are in their 70s and 80s and who have been in power for so many years have done so with the co-operation, funding and support of the west.
Re: Why Africa Is Behind The World. by redsun(m): 9:59pm On Jan 27, 2011
Africa is behind because of total eclipse of reasoning in africa.
Re: Why Africa Is Behind The World. by buzugee(m): 10:03pm On Jan 27, 2011
who said africa is behind ? life is 'perception'. un-condition yourself from the 'perception' of what you have been conditioned to believe is 'development'. only then will you see that africa is a vibrant and lovely place to live. emancipate your mind from the shackles of preconceived colonial perceptions. i dare you to do it
Re: Why Africa Is Behind The World. by redsun(m): 10:08pm On Jan 27, 2011
Except for natural resources that goes to waste,it is obvious africa is behind.Forget about perception,even a child can perceive africa is lacking chronically
Re: Why Africa Is Behind The World. by Jen33(m): 10:08pm On Jan 27, 2011
Instead of coming here to disturb us with this redundant rhetoric, why don't some of you people study CURRENT TRENDS on the continent, and feed on THAT?

Now, WHAT do current trends SHOW?

Here's what:

http://www.mckinsey.com/mgi/publications/progress_and_potential_of_african_economies/index.asp

The continent is MAKING GOOD PROGRESS AS WE SPEAK.

What more do you want?? For all Africa to become Switzerland next year??

So please please, stop this backward looking, ''oh why are we so behind'', MOANING, learn a thing or two about what's happening TODAY, and decide how YOU wish to contribute to the African Renaissance.
Re: Why Africa Is Behind The World. by buzugee(m): 10:13pm On Jan 27, 2011
redsun:

Except for natural resources that goes to waste,it is obvious africa is behind.Forget about perception,even a child can perceive africa is lacking chronically
how is it lacking ? all the things you pine and hunger for were not around 200 years ago, so that tells me they are un-natural. africans are living the way yahweh wants us to live. we are the closest to the ground. eat and live from the ground. all that other extra stuff are demonic tools used to corrupt your mind. all that internet, ipods, tv, cars etc etc. thats how the devil disseminates his information swiftly. he tryna take as many of you with him into the lake of fire. grin
Re: Why Africa Is Behind The World. by buzugee(m): 10:13pm On Jan 27, 2011
Jen33:

Instead of coming here to disturb us with this redundant rhetoric, why don't some of you people study CURRENT TRENDS on the continent, and feed on THAT?

Now, WHAT do current trends SHOW?

Here's what:

http://www.mckinsey.com/mgi/publications/progress_and_potential_of_african_economies/index.asp

The continent is MAKING GOOD PROGRESS AS WE SPEAK.

What more do you want?? For all Africa to become Switzerland next year??

So please please, stop this backward looking, ''oh why are we so behind'', MOANING, learn a thing or two about what's happening TODAY, and decide how YOU wish to contribute to the African Renaissance.

i salute
Re: Why Africa Is Behind The World. by redsun(m): 10:28pm On Jan 27, 2011
buzugee:

how is it lacking ? all the things you pine and hunger for were not around 200 years ago, so that tells me they are un-natural. africans are living the way yahweh wants us to live. we are the closest to the ground. eat and live from the ground. all that other extra stuff are demonic tools used to corrupt your mind. all that internet, ipods, tv, cars etc etc. thats how the devil disseminates his information swiftly. he tryna take as many of you with him into the lake of fire.  grin

I think you are forgetting you just using the same tools that u are condemning,the availability of tools are made possible by the power of the mind,the power of understanding nature and tapping,although some of them are perverted but thatis the way of man.It is natural for man to evolve and overcome abject poverty and miseries like you have in africa

Africa economy has no option but to grow but because of the people's inability to realize that progress can only made by rational leaders  making and executing rational policies,the continent is stuck up.The leaders are detrimental to the progress of africa and until ordinary africans realize that,they will continue to regress and suffer
Re: Why Africa Is Behind The World. by buzugee(m): 10:34pm On Jan 27, 2011
redsun:

I think you are forgetting you just using the same tools that u are condemning,the availability of tools are made possible by the power of the mind,the power of understanding nature and tapping,although some of them are perverted but thatis the way of man.It is natural for man to evolve and overcome abject poverty and miseries like you have in africa

Africa economy has no option but to grow but because of the people's inability to realize that progress can only made by rational leader making and executing rational policies,the continent is stuck up.The leaders are detrimental to the progress of africa and until ordinary africans realize that,they will continue to regress and suffer
its all perceptions. if you perceive that you are suffering, then your immune system will follow suit and you will embody 'suffering'.
yes i am using the internet but i can also do without it. if i dont have it, i wouldnt think i was suffering.
all i need to enjoy my life are candles, books, incenses, a place to lay my head, clothes on my back and food. thats all that will make me extremely happy. africans are a greedy bunch, especially nigerians. materialism is making alot of them unhappy because they think they dont have this or that. thats the problem in africa. materialism not 'underdevelopment'
Re: Why Africa Is Behind The World. by buzugee(m): 10:37pm On Jan 27, 2011
if the 'materialism' of africans can be eradicated, everything else will fall into place.
Re: Why Africa Is Behind The World. by EzeUche2(m): 10:42pm On Jan 27, 2011
People do not realize how colonialism really screwed up Africa for the long run.

Either way, Africa is going to go through a dark age. It has only been 50 years since independence. It took Europe 500 years to get where they are. And people expect 50 years from Africa? Please. . .
Re: Why Africa Is Behind The World. by Igbanibo: 10:44pm On Jan 27, 2011
Africa has been the world's dump ground, and looting ground for raw materials and other natural resources.
Re: Why Africa Is Behind The World. by buzugee(m): 10:47pm On Jan 27, 2011
Igbanibo:

Africa has been the world's dump ground, and looting ground for raw materials and other natural resources.
looting ground ? are they taking the resources for free ? or do they pay for them ? nigeria produces 2,000,000 barrels of oil daily multiplied by 365 multiplied by like 100 a barrel. we get about 73 billion dollars annually from oil. does that sound like looting to you ? or do you just like to play the victim ?
Re: Why Africa Is Behind The World. by EzeUche2(m): 11:00pm On Jan 27, 2011
buzugee:

looting ground ? are they taking the resources for free ? or do they pay for them ? nigeria produces 2,000,000 barrels of oil daily multiplied by 365 multiplied by like 100 a barrel. we get about 73 billion dollars annually from oil. does that sound like looting to you ? or do you just like to play the victim ?

Actually it is looting and chump change. Nigeria only get rent from the extraction of oil. We do get pennies for what the oil is really worth. If you consider that a lot, then you must be high on some strong weed. Even our oil industry is not where it suppose to be.

Shell has been raping Nigeria even before independence. And the worst part, is that you act like it is your oil. That oil money belongs to the Niger Delta. Not the rest of Nigeria.
Re: Why Africa Is Behind The World. by buzugee(m): 11:04pm On Jan 27, 2011
EzeUche_:

Actually it is looting and chump change. Nigeria only get rent from the extraction of oil. We do get pennies for what the oil is really worth. If you consider that a lot, then you must be high on some strong weed. Even our oil industry is not where it suppose to be.

Shell has been despoiling Nigeria even before independence. And the worst part, is that you act like it is your oil. That oil money belongs to the Niger Delta. Not the rest of Nigeria.
i couldnt give 2 flying fuckksss who the oil or the money belonged to simply because i am not benefiting from it. dunno why you possessive over the oil. but if you think the oil is not being sold by nigeria at a per barrel basis then you must be smoking that good ol sticky icky purple haze
Re: Why Africa Is Behind The World. by redsun(m): 11:08pm On Jan 27, 2011
buzugee:

its all perceptions. if you perceive that you are suffering, then your immune system will follow suit and you will embody 'suffering'.
yes i am using the internet but i can also do without it. if i dont have it, i wouldnt think i was suffering.
all i need to enjoy my life are candles, books, incenses, a place to lay my head, clothes on my back and food. thats all that will make me extremely happy. africans are a greedy bunch, especially nigerians. materialism is making alot of them unhappy because they think they dont have this or that. thats the problem in africa. materialism not 'underdevelopment'

Africans on average are not materialistic,they are only crying out for the basics of life.Only the leaders are greedy and materialistic, they made the common so desperate to the extent that every day life becomes a do or die thing,never knowing whether he is going to have clean water to drink the neat day

Life without the basics is no life and majority of africans are living without the basics.At no point should it be unless the time of war,natural disaster and catastrophic pestilence.
Re: Why Africa Is Behind The World. by buzugee(m): 11:12pm On Jan 27, 2011
redsun:

Africans on average are not materialistic,they are only crying out for the basics of life.Only the leaders are greedy and materialistic, they made the common so desperate to the extent that every day life becomes a do or die thing,never knowing whether he is going to have clean water to drink the neat day

Life without the basics is no life and majority of africans are living without the basics.At no point should it be unless the time of war,natural disaster and catastrophic pestilence.
somehow i am not buying your premise. africans do not have the basics simply because they are un-resourceful. people are spending their energy and intellectual potential trying to get a visa or scam someone out of money. the basics can be got by everyone if they focused on bettering their environment as a collective instead of trying to better themselves so as to oppress their neighbors. there are small pockets of community in nigeria where they collectively tar the roads, do boreholes and build their own schools. easy peasy. all 4 1 and 1 4 all. thats how you survive
Re: Why Africa Is Behind The World. by redsun(m): 11:26pm On Jan 27, 2011
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-594128.0.html

Have u read this?It is the duty of leadership to provide basic amenities and the ground for it to grow in the society.
Re: Why Africa Is Behind The World. by buzugee(m): 11:39pm On Jan 27, 2011
redsun:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-594128.0.html

Have u read this?It is the duty of leadership to provide basic amenities and the ground for it to grow in the society.
let me ask you a uestion
1, do you pay any road tax ?
2,  do you pay property tax ?
3, do you pay auto insurance ?
4,  do you pay water rates ?
5, do you pay sales tax ?
6, do you pay capital gains tax when you sell land, car or property ?
7,  do you pay inheritance tax ?
8, do you pay tv license ?
9, MOT ?
9, annual auto registration renewal fees ?
10,  congestion charges ?
11, city sticker for your car ?
13, do you pay for parking on the street ?

so how the heck do you expect the nigerian govt to provide you with stuff when you dont pay into the govt coffers ? where are they supposed to get the money from ?

1 Like

Re: Why Africa Is Behind The World. by redsun(m): 12:13am On Jan 28, 2011
Inland revenue officials are some of the richest civil servants in nigeria in the tune millions.The little taxes that the government managed o put in place that the people pays for goes straight into the pocket of government officials and politicians not back into the system to keep it going.

Taxes are created,managed,collected and put back into the system by the government not ordinary citizens.I pay my taxes where i live and if i come to nigeria,i will duly pay my taxes but i will like to see it being used for what tax collections are made for
Re: Why Africa Is Behind The World. by buzugee(m): 12:17am On Jan 28, 2011
redsun:

Inland revenue officials are some of the richest civil servants in nigeria in the tune millions.The little taxes that the government managed o put in place that the people pays for goes straight  into the pocket of government officials and politicians not back into the system to keep it going.

Taxes are created,managed,collected and put back into the system by the government not ordinary citizens.I pay my taxes where i live and if i come to nigeria,i will duly pay my taxes but i will like to see it being used for what tax collections are made for
you ever ask yourself how all the civil servants, policemen, immigration and custom officers, the army and all the other govt employees in nigeria get paid ? its from the lil tashere taxes that they manage to extract from the tax evading citizens (PAYE so that you cant evade seeing as yall dont bother to pay any other thing). heck some of you even try to bribe nepa officials to get out of paying your light bills. look playa ? nigeria is a representative of the people in it. stop putting your hands out asking for stuff you dont deserve. nobody gets a free ride.
Re: Why Africa Is Behind The World. by redsun(m): 12:18am On Jan 28, 2011
In England we pay Tv tax and i do every week or what ever arrangement i made with them.It has to be paid yearly as long as you watch TV in your premises.

Nothing goes for nothing,if you must get something,you to pay for but the people you pay it to have to be accountable
Re: Why Africa Is Behind The World. by buzugee(m): 12:19am On Jan 28, 2011
redsun:

In England we pay Tv tax and i do every week or what ever arrangement i made with them.It has to be paid yearly as long as you watch TV in your premises.

Nothing goes for nothing,if you must get something,you to pay for but the people you pay it to have to be accountable
thanks for proving my point. you get what you pay for and in the case of nigeria, you do not get what you dont pay for. grin am out.
Re: Why Africa Is Behind The World. by redsun(m): 12:23am On Jan 28, 2011
buzugee:

you ever ask yourself how all the civil servants, policemen, immigration and custom officers, the army and all the other govt employees in nigeria get paid ? its from the lil tashere taxes that they manage to extract from the tax evading citizens (PAYE so that you cant evade seeing as yall dont bother to pay any other thing). heck some of you even try to bribe nepa officials to get out of paying your light bills. look playa ? nigeria is a representative of the people in it. stop putting your hands out asking for stuff you dont deserve. nobody gets a free ride.

These are the same people they owe six months salaries in arrears sometimes,underpaid and underused.Most of the government officials are waste of space and resources,i don't see the need for them because they are unproductive
Re: Why Africa Is Behind The World. by redsun(m): 12:29am On Jan 28, 2011
buzugee:

thanks for proving my point. you get what you pay for and in the case of nigeria, you do not get what you dont pay for. grin am out.

The point is that nothing reasonable is put in place because of rogue leadership and the little that are in place are being squandered by the same rogue leaders.

Nigerians will be willing to pay tax if the monies they contribute are used judiciously and accountably.
Re: Why Africa Is Behind The World. by chiogo(f): 1:17am On Jan 28, 2011
buzugee:

who said africa is behind ? life is 'perception'. un-condition yourself from the 'perception' of what you have been conditioned to believe is 'development'. only then will you see that africa is a vibrant and lovely place to live. emancipate your mind from the shackles of preconceived colonial perceptions. i dare you to do it
Haha I love this guy. Is that why you're in Illinois Agege market? tongue
Re: Why Africa Is Behind The World. by archive(f): 3:10am On Jan 28, 2011
EzeUche_:

Shell has been despoiling Nigeria even before independence. And the worst part, is that you act like it is your oil. That oil money belongs to the Niger Delta. Not the rest of Nigeria.

Then should take back our own industries and own futures back into our own hands. Why is our own oil industry not where it is supposed to be? is that also the fault of outside elements?

Whoever owns the oil is not really the issue here. Nigeria still earns an outrageous amount of money for it. Why don't you blame the people who are not using that money to improve the country?
Re: Why Africa Is Behind The World. by buzugee(m): 3:25am On Jan 28, 2011
redsun:

These are the same people they owe six months salaries in arrears sometimes,underpaid and underused.Most of the government officials are waste of space and resources,i don't see the need for them because they are unproductive
well my brethren, the govt cannot afford to pay some of their workers because the govt is stupid. the govt should start extorting their citizens like they do in the west. only then can the govt have enough to pay its workers. the govt needs a lesson in quantity surveying and economics. if you think you can run a country of 150 million people on 73 billion dollars oil money and 1 billion PAYE money annually ? then they need a lesson in economics and quantity surveying. to effectively run a country the size of nigeria, the govt needs about 1 trillion dollars for its budget. this they have to get by taxing the citizens to the hilt. everytime you make a move you should get taxed. if you inherit a house you pay tax, if you sell a car you should pay tax, if you buy land you should pay tax, if you park on the streets you should pay tax, if you sell on the streets you should pay for a permit, if you buy anything from the shop you should pay tax on it etc etc etc. this is the only way the govt will get the 1 trillion dollar it needs to run the country effectively. to pay all the police, to fix all the roads and supply everything nigerians want, to pay the army, to pay the civil servants, to fund schools and universities and hospitals, etc etc etc etc. UNTIL YOU START PAYING ALL THE ABOVE TAXES ? free the govt. they owe you nothing angry grin

1 Like

Re: Why Africa Is Behind The World. by buzugee(m): 3:29am On Jan 28, 2011
redsun:

The point is that nothing reasonable is put in place because of rogue leadership and the little that are in place are being squandered by the same rogue leaders.

Nigerians will be willing to pay tax if the monies they contribute are used judiciously and accountably.
nigerians will be willing to pay tax ? grin grin grin now i know you are just having a laugh at my expense. the same nigerians who because they never pay their rents the landlords had to start collecting 2 years in advance, the same nigerians who hate to pay their light bills and bribe nepa officials to hook them back up. if they find it difficult to pay for something they use directly (rent and light), why do you think they will cough up for something they dont use directly ?
Re: Why Africa Is Behind The World. by buzugee(m): 3:37am On Jan 28, 2011
chiogo:

Haha I love this guy. Is that why you're in Illinois Agege market? tongue
grin i am here to learn. then am out like last year grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Jigawa Election Cancelled. / Video Of President Obama And President Of Russia Buying And Eating Burger / We Have A Lot Of Cowards In The Nigeria Army

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.