Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,441 members, 7,846,811 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 01:08 AM

Govt Arrests Newspaper Columnist, Okey Ndibe and block passport access abroad - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Govt Arrests Newspaper Columnist, Okey Ndibe and block passport access abroad (726 Views)

Okey Ndibe Declared Enemy Of State During Yar'Adua Administration / Olusegun Obasanjo Becomes A Newspaper Columnist! / Your Favourite Newspaper Columnist? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Govt Arrests Newspaper Columnist, Okey Ndibe and block passport access abroad by oyebambam: 9:13pm On Jan 27, 2011
the nigeria government have block access to million of nigerian to travel to nigeria according to the nigeria community abroad. 

So if you are not lucky like some of us to have a passport, you cant return back to nigeria.

Jonathan Government Arrests Us -based Newspaper Columnist, Okey Ndibe, At Murtala Mohammed Airport I
« on: January 09, 2011, 11:22 PM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By SaharaReporters, New York

Saharareporters just learnt minutes ago that the SSS at MMIA in Lagos arrested Okey
Ndibe and detained, a   columnist and US professor.
Mr. Ndibe arrived on Turkish airlines at 9:31 PM (Nigerian Time). An Immigration
officer handed his passport to an State Security Service (SSS) who instructed him to
get his luggage and come with them. One SSS officer named "Mr. George" told Mr.
Ndibe his supervisor needed to see him on the first floor at room 1062.
After being held for several hours he was released after he was made to give his
Nigerian address, but just before he was released, his Nigerian passport was seized by
the agency. They requested that he appears before the Kingsway Road office of the
agency on Monday to interview with their director for further action.
Okey Ndibe is a US professor and a columnist for the SUN newspaper as well as
several websites including SaharaReporters.com. He is also a professor of English
Literature at Trinity College in Connecticut and Brown University in Rhode Island.

Source: www.saharareporters.com/news-page/jonathan-government-arrests-us-based-newspaper-columnist-okey-ndibe-murtala-mohammed-airpo

“We Have Been Here Before”- Prof. Wole Soyinka On Okey Ndibe's Arrest And Seizure Of Passport.

Election neurosis has clearly gripped a most insensitive and inept Security apparatus.
Inept because the harassment of a journalist is the very worst form of service that can
be rendered to their paymasters in a democracy. I presume of course that we are not
only under democratic governance but are actually engaged in a process that is
supposed to strengthen that condition.
All the signs indicate that the nation is being deceived, and that another extravagant
sham is being presented to the world. The action of a Security with regard to Okey
Ndibe will be taken as enjoying the full support of the government unless his
passport is immediately returned and a severe reprimand meted out to the agency
responsible for this violation of the most elementary rights of its citizens. Not only
that, they must be instructed that it must never happen again.
The nation is urged to remain vigilant and pro-active in the protection of their citizen
rights. These, let us remind ourselves, include freedom of expression, freedom to
associate, and freedom of movement. The infringement of any one of these, no
matter who is the victim, becomes the collective responsibility of all and must be
sternly addressed. A movement towards fascism begins with seemingly innocuous
violations. The signs are increasingly ominous but we have been here before.

WOLE SOYINKA
Convener, CITIZEN FORUM
www.saharareporters.com/news-page/“we-have-been-here-”-prof-wole-soyinka-okey-ndibes-arrest-and-seizure-passport
Re: Govt Arrests Newspaper Columnist, Okey Ndibe and block passport access abroad by oyebambam: 9:14pm On Jan 27, 2011
the nigeria government have block access to million of nigerian to travel to nigeria according to the nigeria community abroad.

So if you are not lucky like some of us to have a passport, you cant return back to nigeria.
Re: Govt Arrests Newspaper Columnist, Okey Ndibe and block passport access abroad by oyebambam: 9:18pm On Jan 27, 2011
how bad can this be.
Re: Govt Arrests Newspaper Columnist, Okey Ndibe and block passport access abroad by dayokanu(m): 9:18pm On Jan 27, 2011
Sorry, I duplicated this topic.

I have already requested the mods to delete mine.
Re: Govt Arrests Newspaper Columnist, Okey Ndibe and block passport access abroad by oyebambam: 10:42pm On Jan 27, 2011
which govt block passport to its citizen in the world . if citizen can not travel, around what hope for them. all because they want to win election.
Re: Govt Arrests Newspaper Columnist, Okey Ndibe and block passport access abroad by MaiSuya(m): 10:50pm On Jan 27, 2011
This is an old story. I thot Ndibe has since been released?
Re: Govt Arrests Newspaper Columnist, Okey Ndibe and block passport access abroad by oyebambam: 10:54pm On Jan 27, 2011
but it is new to me, when someone called me and told me nigeria government block access to nigeria passport abroad. I was shock. How bad can that be. that nigeria have refuse to issue passport to nigerian living abroad because of election . What nonsense is that.
Re: Govt Arrests Newspaper Columnist, Okey Ndibe and block passport access abroad by oyebambam: 11:55pm On Jan 27, 2011
election would kill some people.
Re: Govt Arrests Newspaper Columnist, Okey Ndibe and block passport access abroad by Musiwa13: 12:45am On Jan 28, 2011
pity
Re: Govt Arrests Newspaper Columnist, Okey Ndibe and block passport access abroad by fstranger1: 1:03am On Jan 28, 2011
oyebambam:

but it is new to me, when someone called me and told me nigeria government block access to nigeria passport abroad. I was shock. How bad can that be. that nigeria have refuse to issue passport to nigerian living abroad because of election . What nonsense is that.

WTF are you taking about?

Did you skip your drug?

(1) (Reply)

Efcc Arrests Us-based Lawyer, Ugwuonye, For Defrauding Nigerian Government / Lagos, N’west Top Inec’s Final Voter Register Numbers Change / How President Goodluck Can Win The Next Presidential Debate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.