Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,762 members, 7,824,186 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:35 AM

Urgent Help:these Iron Benders Are Confusing Me - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Urgent Help:these Iron Benders Are Confusing Me (1486 Views)

Urgent Help Needed To Evict Stubborn Tenant!!!!!!!! / How Much Is Local Iron Rod 12mm And 16mm / Classy Iron Works (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Urgent Help:these Iron Benders Are Confusing Me by lailo: 11:55am On Jun 22, 2020
Good day everyone.I need ur professional advice on the choice of method to use in decking my ongoing building project.The building which is a twin 3 bedroom flat was formally planned to be a bungalow and I later changed my mind to deck it since approximately same amount will do either of roofing and decking. I therefore introduced 21 pillars around the building to carry the decking.This is where the confusion is:
(1) The first iron bender I took there said there is no need for beam at the boarder and inside walls, that it is only inner beams he will put and that will be enough since it is the pillars that will carry the decking and that the building is just a story building
(2) The second person said at least boarder(outside) walls should have beam round,apart from the inner(secret) beams, that using inner beams alone is dangerous for a story building.
(3)The carpenter is saying there is no need for any beam apart from the secret beams as stated by the first iron bender and that if I want to introduce border beam, then I will increase his money because it will cost him extra planks and even the length of bamboo he has gotten will be shorter that the new length that will be required by my introduction of extra coach of block(inside) to inside walls so as to pave way for the beam outside.
Hope I'm explicit enough in my explanation!I really need urgent advice because I want a work that will be cost effective and durable.I don't want waste and this artisans could mislead someone into doing the wrong thing for their own benefit.Pls manage the previous pictures of the building cos I don't have access to the place now cos of rain.But the carpenter is yet to commence work bcs of this confusion. Thanks
Re: Urgent Help:these Iron Benders Are Confusing Me by agbolahan1991(m): 12:01pm On Jun 22, 2020
This is what u get when u don't consult professionals....
Am an architect ...
I would advise u to consult a civil engineer, it might not cost u so much like u think..
U will need a structural drawing to decide the number of iron bar or columns u need for the building

1 Like

Re: Urgent Help:these Iron Benders Are Confusing Me by shortgun(m): 12:15pm On Jun 22, 2020
I will recommend the second benders opinion...though crude but it's workable
Re: Urgent Help:these Iron Benders Are Confusing Me by Macphenson: 12:16pm On Jun 22, 2020
Oga go and get an engineer to supervise your project before you run into a disaster.

First of all where is the structural drawings of that project.

Just imagine your comment, this iron bender said, that one said, carpenter said,while will you not be confused?

Get an engineer.

2 Likes

Re: Urgent Help:these Iron Benders Are Confusing Me by Enoch07: 12:20pm On Jun 22, 2020
Macphenson:
Oga go and get an engineer to supervise your project before you run into a disaster.

Just imagine your comment, this iron bender said, that one said, carpenter said,while will you not be confused?

Get an engineer.
this and some other careless act we practice in this country that's why we are where we are. you want to build just get a professional to do the work. check well he's trying to get the cheapest option available, then when the building collapse people will be shouting village people up and down. na wa oooo Nigeria
Re: Urgent Help:these Iron Benders Are Confusing Me by Gabrokpara001(m): 12:23pm On Jun 22, 2020
lailo:
Good day everyone.I need ur professional advice on the choice of method to use in decking my ongoing building project.The building which is a twin 3 bedroom flat was formally planned to be a bungalow and I later changed my mind to deck it since approximately same amount will do either of roofing and decking. I therefore introduced 21 pillars around the building to carry the decking.This is where the confusion is:
(1) The first iron bender I took there said there is no need for beam at the boarder and inside walls, that it is only inner beams he will put and that will be enough since it is the pillars that will carry the decking and that the building is just a story building
(2) The second person said at least boarder(outside) walls should have beam round,apart from the inner(secret) beams, that using inner beams alone is dangerous for a story building.
(3)The carpenter is saying there is no need for any beam apart from the secret beams as stated by the first iron bender and that if I want to introduce border beam, then I will increase his money because it will cost him extra planks and even the length of bamboo he has gotten will be shorter that the new length that will be required by my introduction of extra coach of block(inside) to inside walls so as to pave way for the beam outside.
Hope I'm explicit enough in my explanation!I really need urgent advice because I want a work that will be cost effective and durable.I don't want waste and this artisans could mislead someone into doing the wrong thing for their own benefit.Pls manage the previous pictures of the building cos I don't have access to the place now cos of rain.But the carpenter is yet to commence work bcs of this confusion. Thanks

Sorry to say but do you know you are very funny?... First you just decided to change a bungalow to a story building without consulting a professional..you said you introduced pillars if i may ask how did you go about that?
Now you are asking an iron bender and carpenter who knows nothing about structural stability and about load calculations on what best to do...
Keep looking for cheap alternatives if you like dont do the needful...at this point all you need is a structural engineer not even an architect or builder...and be ready to spend because of dumb mistakes you have made.

3 Likes

Re: Urgent Help:these Iron Benders Are Confusing Me by CeasersWay(m): 1:22pm On Jun 22, 2020
lailo:

Hmmm... please dont forget to ask tilers, electricians,masons,gateman,okada man e.t.c for structural advice about your house

2 Likes

Re: Urgent Help:these Iron Benders Are Confusing Me by Person2person(m): 2:05pm On Jun 22, 2020
your building is designed as bungalow, for you to make it upstair, you need to do a structural designs for the building to know what to do...

look for a good engineer to advice you on appropriate thing to do or you share pictures of the building for proffessional input here otherwise those YOUR workmen Will just scater your head.....there are reason for collumn and beams in building as well as minimum and maximum spacing required.....u can't just arrange them anyhow...

1 Like

Re: Urgent Help:these Iron Benders Are Confusing Me by Akin4sure: 2:21pm On Jun 22, 2020
lailo:
Consult me can handle the structural aspect or site supervision on WhatsApp on 09069193297 don't go an erect a collapse building
Re: Urgent Help:these Iron Benders Are Confusing Me by Delphi(m): 10:34pm On Jun 22, 2020
@lailo, Imagine what I'm hearing you write; "I introduced 21 pillars". Says who? Is that how they/you introduce them? Who does that? Who tells you that?
So no structural drawings vis-a-viz structural calculations / load analysis?. Imagine, you just transformed a bungalow to a semi-detached storey building?. And you are talking with carpenters and iron benders?. They tell you this, they tell you that. Wow. Guy, you get mind, a swear? They discuss about internal (secret) beam with you. What do they know about the suitability/'desirability' (of the introduction) of an internal beam.
Sorry, did you just pick your money from the dust bin?
Na so you wan waste your sweat?. Young man, suspend that building construction and get hold of a practicing Civil Engineer (in the built environment) to continue going forward. I don't want to hear, no beam here or there. Structural elements of slab, beams and columns are designed for adequate and effective load distribution and strategically positioned to meet this objective. Mind you, "pillars are not meant to carry slab (decken) directly" as you alleged. The rightful order is load transmission from slab to beam to column and then to the foundation.
Please, don't use ignorance and shrewdness to contribute to the increasing number of collapsed buildings in Nigeria. You will be jailed as you are involved directly in the construction and loose your landed property also. Be guided and hook up a professional asap. You are free to contact me further.
Re: Urgent Help:these Iron Benders Are Confusing Me by abcivilengr(m): 11:32pm On Jun 22, 2020
My dear brother, Please do the right thing. It is advisable you get a Civil engineer to guide you on the construction stages. I am a Civil engineer and will do that for you at Little or no cost. You can contact me on 08030539112.
Re: Urgent Help:these Iron Benders Are Confusing Me by lailo: 9:21am On Jun 23, 2020
Delphi:
@lailo, Imagine what I'm hearing you write; "I introduced 21 pillars". Says who? Is that how they/you introduce them? Who does that? Who tells you that?
So no structural drawings vis-a-viz structural calculations / load analysis?. Imagine, you just transformed a bungalow to a semi-detached storey building?. And you are talking with carpenters and iron benders?. They tell you this, they tell you that. Wow. Guy, you get mind, a swear? They discuss about internal (secret) beam with you. What do they know about the suitability/'desirability' (of the introduction) of an internal beam.
Sorry, did you just pick your money from the dust bin?
Na so you wan waste your sweat?. Young man, suspend that building construction and get hold of a practicing Civil Engineer (in the built environment) to continue going forward. I don't want to hear, no beam here or there. Structural elements of slab, beams and columns are designed for adequate and effective load distribution and strategically positioned to meet this objective. Mind you, "pillars are not meant to carry slab (decken) directly" as you alleged. The rightful order is load transmission from slab to beam to column and then to the foundation.
Please, don't use ignorance and shrewdness to contribute to the increasing number of collapsed buildings in Nigeria. You will be jailed as you are involved directly in the construction and loose your landed property also. Be guided and hook up a professional asap. You are free to contact me further.
thanks bro. I so much appreciate ur guidance.I will take to all your advice. and I will get back to you,God bless
Re: Urgent Help:these Iron Benders Are Confusing Me by lailo: 9:23am On Jun 23, 2020
abcivilengr:
My dear brother, Please do the right thing. It is advisable you get a Civil engineer to guide you on the construction stages. I am a Civil engineer and will do that for you at Little or no cost. You can contact me on 08030539112.
thanks sir.I will
Re: Urgent Help:these Iron Benders Are Confusing Me by lailo: 9:24am On Jun 23, 2020
Akin4sure:

Consult me can handle the structural aspect or site supervision on WhatsApp on 09069193297 don't go an erect a collapse building
OK,sir,thanks.I will. God bless
Re: Urgent Help:these Iron Benders Are Confusing Me by lailo: 9:39am On Jun 23, 2020
agbolahan1991:
This is what u get when u don't consult professionals....
Am an architect ...
I would advise u to consult a civil engineer, it might not cost u so much like u think..
U will need a structural drawing to decide the number of iron bar or columns u need for the building
OK sir
Re: Urgent Help:these Iron Benders Are Confusing Me by lailo: 9:40am On Jun 23, 2020
shortgun:
I will recommend the second benders opinion...though crude but it's workable
thanks
Re: Urgent Help:these Iron Benders Are Confusing Me by lailo: 9:41am On Jun 23, 2020
Macphenson:

Get an engineer.
OK sir,thanks
Re: Urgent Help:these Iron Benders Are Confusing Me by lailo: 9:42am On Jun 23, 2020
Person2person:
your building is designed as bungalow, for you to make it upstair, you need to do a structural designs for the building to know what to do...

look for a good engineer to advice you on appropriate thing to do or you share pictures of the building for proffessional input here otherwise those YOUR workmen Will just scater your head.....there are reason for collumn and beams in building as well as minimum and maximum spacing required.....u can't just arrange them anyhow...

noted sir,thanks
Re: Urgent Help:these Iron Benders Are Confusing Me by Jokerman(m): 11:20am On Jun 23, 2020
Get a civil engineer bro.... should charge you more than 50k...

If you are in Lagos, I can connect you to one, with a lot of experience
Re: Urgent Help:these Iron Benders Are Confusing Me by Chumy93: 9:51am On Mar 17, 2022
lailo:
Go and consult a built environment professional. An experienced civil Engr or Builder …. You can text 07030797520 on WhatsApp for professional advice

(1) (Reply)

For Sale: Twin Duplex At Akobo Ibadan With C/o / Own A Property Beside The New Gra Iriebe, Portharcourt, Rivers State, Enjoy This / Properties For Sell @ Herbert Macaulay Way Yaba Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.