Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,209 members, 7,822,079 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:51 AM

Poor Reading Culture Among Nigerians - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Poor Reading Culture Among Nigerians (5055 Views)

FUNNY: See Where Students Are Reading For Their Exams. / Common Errors In English Language Most Common Among Nigerians / Top 10 Commonly Misspelled Words Among Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Poor Reading Culture Among Nigerians by pearl2(m): 5:21pm On Jan 30, 2006
I am not sure if it was Myles Munroe who originally said,"if you want to hide anything from a black man,put it in a book".
Nigerians are no exception.

In a recent post UME test conducted by one of the universities,a question was asked about who the author of "Things Fall Apart" is, one of the candidates answered, "Sani Abacha"!

Why do you think we suddenly become cold and bored when it comes to books? What's the use of reading anyway?
Re: Poor Reading Culture Among Nigerians by dejiolowe: 7:13pm On Jan 30, 2006
how much do u read urself. meanwhile, your post is an old joke. i v heard it a billion times.
Re: Poor Reading Culture Among Nigerians by bossan(f): 7:37pm On Jan 30, 2006
I dont think we have got a poor reading culture amon nigerians.T
Re: Poor Reading Culture Among Nigerians by dejiolowe: 7:46pm On Jan 30, 2006
we dont have any reading culture at all.
Re: Poor Reading Culture Among Nigerians by charlisco(m): 8:01pm On Jan 30, 2006
Dear NL

I am a victim of it, the reason i hate reading novel expecially the foreign one which are the most dominant is that i do not like the character of the name they used, for example; use names like, browns, shittle, gibson, i would be interested in reading one if they used our Nigeria name like Musa, Titi, Ada e.t.c stuff like that so that it will be enjoyable rememberable and fun while reading. not trying to crame the names
Re: Poor Reading Culture Among Nigerians by dejiolowe: 8:14pm On Jan 30, 2006
go and read olowolayemo. just finished it. it is so interesting!
Re: Poor Reading Culture Among Nigerians by Eastcoast(f): 11:16pm On Jan 30, 2006
I think some nigerian youth do read alot esp. romance novels.
Re: Poor Reading Culture Among Nigerians by Oiza(f): 7:16am On Jan 31, 2006
There are many people who read (otherwise, we would have absolutely no bookstores or bookclubs) but for the most part, Nigerians certainly do not have a reading culture. Sad, really because books (Not Mills and Boons or James Hadley Chase smiley they may have their uses) expand one's horizon and broaden one's mind. It's just sad.

@charlisco, may I suggest Purple Hibiscus by Ngozi Adichie or The Famished Road by Ben Okri....
Re: Poor Reading Culture Among Nigerians by dejiolowe: 7:18am On Jan 31, 2006
Oiza:

@charlisco, may I suggest Purple Hibiscus by Ngozi Adichie or The Famished Road by Ben Okri....

how nice are those? am always scared of books from celebrated writers. they r always so bland... try a wole soyinka
Re: Poor Reading Culture Among Nigerians by ZuluNation(m): 7:28am On Jan 31, 2006
@ pearl.
When it comes to reading, Nigerians read more than any  group of people I've been around.Most American kids don't read romance novels come to think of it, why read a book when you can just see the movie.Reading novels is sooooo GAY.
Re: Poor Reading Culture Among Nigerians by Oiza(f): 7:31am On Jan 31, 2006
No Nigerian writer is more celebrated than Wole Soyinka, I think. Purple Hibiscus is excellent. In the vein of Things Fall Apart....The Famished Road is a little hard but it is a great book, nonetheless. The Palm Wine Drunkard by Amos Tutuola is another good book but may be a little difficult to find.
Re: Poor Reading Culture Among Nigerians by dejiolowe: 7:37am On Jan 31, 2006
i love yoruba novels. may be coz am so local and razz. but they r funnier. it is very though to read them though. i have read all books by DO Fagunwa
Re: Poor Reading Culture Among Nigerians by ZuluNation(m): 7:42am On Jan 31, 2006
Hey I just read the purple Hibiscus, that was an awesome book I'll read it again before I get the two books I'm still wainting on from Amazon ( The slave girl and Efuru )
Re: Poor Reading Culture Among Nigerians by dejiolowe: 7:53am On Jan 31, 2006
I have read two great books too. Lonely Londoner by Samuel Selvon and You gotta cry to laugh by Peter Enahoro (cant find that book anywhere again!)
Re: Poor Reading Culture Among Nigerians by Oiza(f): 7:54am On Jan 31, 2006
Well, Amos Tutuola is Yoruba and his books are written in a kind of broken english with a lot of Yoruba (and translations) in it....I don't speak the language so I cannot say that I have had the pleasure of reading books written in Yoruba...
Re: Poor Reading Culture Among Nigerians by dejiolowe: 7:57am On Jan 31, 2006
Eya! u missed.
Re: Poor Reading Culture Among Nigerians by Oiza(f): 8:00am On Jan 31, 2006
Noted, Slave Girl, Efuru, and You Gotta Laugh Before You Can Cry. Thanks, guys.....
Re: Poor Reading Culture Among Nigerians by ZuluNation(m): 8:10am On Jan 31, 2006
Oiza:

Noted, Slave Girl, Efuru, and You Gotta Laugh Before You Can Cry. Thanks, guys.....

Thank you, it's good to know someone else is into reading Nigerian books
Re: Poor Reading Culture Among Nigerians by dejiolowe: 8:14am On Jan 31, 2006
have u read the last 100 days of abacha?
Re: Poor Reading Culture Among Nigerians by ZuluNation(m): 8:26am On Jan 31, 2006
dejiolowe:

have u read the last 100 days of abacha?

I've not had the opportunity to. I hope his last 100 days was painful
Re: Poor Reading Culture Among Nigerians by dejiolowe: 8:34am On Jan 31, 2006
it was his last 100 seconds that were pretty bad. the previous last 100 minutes were spent with indian babes which i guess was pleasurable...
Re: Poor Reading Culture Among Nigerians by pearl2(m): 12:46pm On Feb 01, 2006
dejiolowe,I still think the topic is relevant even if you've heard it before.If you agree that reading is a good habit to cultivate, then I think it's in order to stimulate others or be encouraged by others in the habit.I would admit I dont read now as much as T want to;you know,the cares of this world......
Am familiar with Fagunwa,I read most of his works.Recently,I read Purple Hibiscus,Waiting for An Angel by Helon habila.Also The Famished Road by Okri,although I could relate more with his Flowers and Shadows.I also love Soyinka,I've read Ake,Isara,The Man Died and a few others.
I dont think Adichie is bland at all,or Habila try and read them.
Re: Poor Reading Culture Among Nigerians by dejiolowe: 7:57pm On Feb 01, 2006
since i v two weeks of holidays to do, i guess i just pack books along...
Re: Poor Reading Culture Among Nigerians by GAmas: 11:05pm On Feb 03, 2006
It's great to see Nigerians turning to Nigerian arts generally, be it  in books, music or thought patterns. Oyinbo books are emissaries of colonisation. Nigerians have always read relevant materials like local magazines, newspapers and we are beggining to watch Nija films more than any other. Earned freedom at last. Amos Tutuola's 'palmwine drinkard is ace. So are Dan Maraya's songs. As for Sunny Ade, he is the true King amongst other great Nigerian traditional musicians and minstrels.
Re: Poor Reading Culture Among Nigerians by raldsfield(m): 1:56am On Mar 10, 2006
Nigerian don't read that is true, the habit of reading is a luxury why you may ask. At what age are kids actually suppose to start reading. The poverty in the country is so bad that families can't eat not to talk of encouraging there kids to read, by buying them a book.

Well I remember when My mum look me to a bookshop in my primary 5 that should be in 1988 she wanted me to improve my reading, after two or three buys, she stopped well i don't know why she stopped so don't ask me. Now i read but not novels, motivational books is what i have interest in, i want to know i am gaining information that will change my life the better. But i want to start reading novels soon sha.
Re: Poor Reading Culture Among Nigerians by micklplus(m): 11:19am On Mar 10, 2006
i love reading and i am still going to be reading and reading. i just read anything be it novel, bible, magazines, dictionary. infact, i read all the credit that comes to my boss desk. i just bring out some files and i will start studying and reading. i could just be online and be reading and reading. it is good to read because , you'll be so updated and current. you'll be so informed and sound. reading works on and with your brain

As a matter of testimony, when i got this my job, i only have OND but i was able to dust and conquer even people with Bsc just because i have read so many things and have so many information about financial analysis, cashflow analyis, maxwells, peter drukard. wole soyinka, mandela, which i was just introducing into the conversation at a very easy pace e.t.c .i had already read the basic things about the bank. i came out so successful that, the people on the panel did not believe that i havent got my first degree.

No matter what and how you want to look at it, it is very good to read because, it definately wiil broaden your mind and horizon.
Simply, reading is an Oasis.!
keep reading for real.
gbam
Re: Poor Reading Culture Among Nigerians by queenesthr(f): 4:51pm On Oct 13, 2009
I have read millions of books and I will continue to read. I have benefited immensely from the knowledge I gained from novels. It is a shame that a lot of Nigerians prefer watching movies to reading. You cannot learn as much from films.

My advice to one and all is - read! read!! and read!!!

1 Like

Re: Poor Reading Culture Among Nigerians by okeey(m): 5:57pm On Oct 13, 2009
is dat so serious
Re: Poor Reading Culture Among Nigerians by Amakababe(f): 8:23am On Jan 28, 2019
queenesthr:
I have read millions of books and I will continue to read. I have benefited immensely from the knowledge I gained from novels. It is a shame that a lot of Nigerians prefer watching movies to reading. You cannot learn as much from films.

millions?
Fascinating!
Re: Poor Reading Culture Among Nigerians by Nobody: 9:37am On Jan 28, 2019
queenesthr:

You tend to learn well when you watch novels translated into movies. You could feel the character instead of imaginary object. Haven't you wonder why many persons are able to give summary of what they watched on tv compare to novel?.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Poor Reading Culture Among Nigerians by Albertone(m): 10:47pm On Aug 23, 2020
charlisco:
Dear NL

I am a victim of it, the reason i hate reading novel expecially the foreign one which are the most dominant is that i do not like the character of the name they used, for example; use names like, browns, shittle, gibson, i would be interested in reading one if they used our Nigeria name like Musa, Titi, Ada e.t.c stuff like that so that it will be enjoyable rememberable and fun while reading. not trying to crame the names
You still frequent nairaland since all these years??

I hail thee!
Re: Poor Reading Culture Among Nigerians by Kennyking1234: 3:22am On Sep 19, 2020
i read and research i am overwhelmed...

(1) (2) (Reply)

Recommended Books For Post UTME Preparation / My Younger Bro Failed Physics In Waec / Photo Of Male Hostel At The Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile Ife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.