Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,707 members, 7,809,688 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:13 PM

Why Struggle For Biafra Has Not Been Successful - Rev. Nwachukwu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Struggle For Biafra Has Not Been Successful - Rev. Nwachukwu (318 Views)

Does It Mean, The Map Of Biafra Has Been Technically Drawn Today? / So Biafra Has Been In Existence Over 17 Century, See Book That Was Written In 17 / Had Biafra Succeeded Would It Have Been Successful (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why Struggle For Biafra Has Not Been Successful - Rev. Nwachukwu by kenechukwujeo50: 2:38pm On Jun 23, 2020
Rev. Jerry Nwachukwu is the Senior Pastor of the Bible Base Miracle Assembly, Nkpor, Idemili North LGA, Anambra State. In this interview, he speaks on the consequences of lockdown on the Nigerian educational system, Igbo presidency, Biafra agitation, insecurity in Nigeria and other salient issues. Excerpts:

What is your advice to Nigerians, who say coronavirus does not exist?

As far as I am concerned, there is coronavirus in existence. In the eve of 2020; precisely, in the night of 31st December, 2019, when members of my church gathered to thank God for the passing year, and to welcome the New Year, I heard God clearly, when He told me that the world was going to witness a virus. He instructed us to take Holy Communion, which we did. He also told us to conduct anointing service against the virus; which we also did.

So, when the virus finally came, we were not surprised; because, the spirit of God had already made it known to me, and I also communicated same to my congregation.

My advice to Nigerians is that they should apply preventive measures as advised by the Nigerian Center for Disease Control, NCDC, and the government; so that they will not contact the disease. I will advise citizens to always wash their hands, wear their face masks, observe social distancing and apply everything that is advised medically. I will also advise parents to teach their family members to observe same.

As leader of a church, I ensure that we have sanitizer, soap and buckets of water in the church, so that the congregation will always observe the necessary cleanliness and other preventive measures. In our church, we encourage members to wear their face masks. We don’t let people come into the church to worship without their face masks. We break our services so that there won’t be crowd. We do all these, because, prevention, they say, is better than cure.

What is your view on how government is handling the coronavirus pandemic in Nigeria?

First of all, I must appreciate the government of the day for the level of assistance it has given to the citizens in this period of COVID-19. However, there are more to be done; because, the process is being sabotaged here and there. The person at the helm of affairs may detail his subordinates on what to do, but the subordinates may end up doing a different thing. That is the kind of problem we are experiencing in the management of the pandemic. For instance, there is interstate lockdown, but people still travel from state to state. Government has issued directive; but it will not be there to perform the duty of the security official at the border. The lockdown is not being properly observed. People still travel as they wish. Some of the taskforce members at different markets and other public places are not doing enough. The masses also, are not helping matters; because, when government says don’t travel, and we observe the directive not to travel, security agencies will have less work to do. When we’re told to wear face masks and observe social distancing, and we obey, the taskforce will not have much job to do.

I will also point out that there is enormous infrastructural decay in the Nigeria health institutions. There are so many things that suppose to be put in place at the hospitals that are not in their proper places. If what Nigeria needed to have in its health institutions were in place, management and containment of the pandemic would not have been problematic.

Do you support those suggesting that re-opening of churches and schools is not ripe yet?

I do not believe there is any church or school that is as big as the Onitsha Main Market, Bridge Head Market, Sabon Geri Market in Kano and some other markets across Nigeria. These markets bubble with activities, and have very large population of buyers and sellers. People that gather in those markets are more in population than people that gather in any church you can think of; yet, businesses in those markets go on unhindered.

Churches and schools should be re-opened, because, I see COVID-19 as a disease that will live with us until God decides otherwise. When churches were closed, people were contacting COVID-19; when it was re-opend, people were still contacting it. So, government should re-open churches properly and, as well, lift the interstate lockdown. Let there be free movement; let people learn their lessons, and start to apply the preventive measures put in place.

Again, continued closure of schools as a result of the coronavirus has taken the educational system more than one hundred percent backwards. It has really dealt a blow on the system and the learner. Students that should seat for the 2020 University Matriculation Examinations, as well as those for the Senior School Certificate Examinations, have not done so. We are approaching the month of July; by August, students suppose to be going for long vacation. So, if school closure continued, it would become very serious matter that would leave indelible mark on the educational system. Our people are not yet conversant with distant learning through technology. If such gadgets were in place, people could study from their homes; but they were not. Therefore, government should re-open schools, and give necessary directives to proprietors, head teachers or principals of schools on how to manage the pandemic. When reopened, government should also ensure that it keeps eyes on schools to ensure that every school observes necessary preventive measures as directed by NCDC.

The IGP said police recorded close to 800 cases of rape within the period of lockdown. As a minister of the gospel, what advise do you have for Nigerians on this?

I will advise that families should step up teachings on moral values and sex education. Do not tell your child that sex is a taboo; tell him when and how it should be done. Tell him that sex has procedure. Again, our sisters and our daughters should not allow themselves to be taken to places they ought not be. Any girl-child desiring to meet any man for any reason, even a man of God, such girl-child should not go alone.

As parents, we should advise our children to stop following their friends to places they do not know. They shouldn't visit any man alone.

I will also say that rape is demonic; so, families and churches need prayers. Government should also come up with such measures as life jail, for those found guilty of rape. This will check the increasing trend. This is because, rape is crime against God and humanity. Above all, parents should caution and monitor activities of their children; because, when the family is in shamble, the church will be shattered and the society will be in trouble.

What does the recent shooting in Aso Rock portend for Nigeria?

To me, nobody can actually give definition of the indelible mark the incident left in Nigeria. It exposed loopholes in Nigeria's security apparatus, and also in the government. Such thing cannot happen in the White House, in the United States of America or any other civilised society.

The incident showed that the Nigerian security outfit has decayed beyond measure. This is the first time such thing would happen in the history of Nigeria. It did not happen before, even during the civil war, and it ought not happen. Such shooting was a clear revelation that Nigeria is in trouble, because, if such thing could happen at the sit of power, the entire country is not safe. It portrayed Nigeria in a very bad light; and should, therefore, not be swept under carpet. I am of the opinion that perpetrators should be fully investigated and dealt with. Ears and eyes of Nigerians are wide open to see and to hear what government will do about the shooting.

Wole Soyinka said if Buhari were in Aso Rock, there would be no shooting. Do you agree with Soyinka that Buhari is not in Aso Rock?

Such incident raised a lot of doubt about the presence of Mr. President in Aso Rock. There is an Igbo adage which says that an adult cannot be at home and a goat commits suicide. If Buhari that I know were in Aso Rock, those that did the shooting would not get away with it. There are things that if you hear or see, you will begin to ask if the father of the house is around or not. So, I am totally in support of Soyinka’s observation. If Buhari that I know were in Aso Rock, his presence alone would not permit such scenario to play out.

How would you evaluate the performance of Nigerian security chiefs?

The sack of the service chiefs is long overdue. They have exhausted their ideas. They should give way for fresh hands; let Nigeria try another set of people, and know whether God will help the country. Anybody that goes round in a circle is a blind man. The security chiefs are going round in a circle to the detriment of Nigerians. Therefore, Mr. President should relieve them of their duties. They have done their best; though their best is not good enough for Nigeria. They should give way for new people and new ideas.

As things stand today, Nigeria has no security. Boko Haram, herdsmen, kidnappers and other bandits are on the loose, killing Nigerians in their numbers. They do things they like, and will always get away with them. They commit crimes uncheckmated. This is why I am of the view that brand new security chiefs should come in. Mr. President should be sincere enough to do the needful. If bandits wiped Nigerians out, who would the president govern?

Do you think that establishment of community policing as agreed by South East governors would checkmate security lapses in the region?

Homemade security outfit is needed in the region. Nobody can protect you as you can do for yourself. During the administration of Chinwoke Mbadinuju as governor of Anambra State, when armed robbers were on the loose, the governor hired the services of Bakkasi Boys. The activities of the boys contained the rampage of criminals in Anambra. Those days, many notorious armed robbers left Anambra state for good.

I am not completely opposed to community policing for the south east; but I suggest that proper training and monitoring of the said community police operatives should be put in place; so that the people hired to protect the people in the day will not turn against the people in the night.

What does the Holy Spirit tell you about the 2023 Igbo presidency?

I do not see Igboman becoming president in 2023. I will also be surprised if Tinubu got APC presidential flag in 2023. The north will likely continue beyond 2023. The south east is always divided when it comes to presidential elections. Even if they said south east should bring one person for presidency in 2023, people that will come out to contest from the region will be overwhelming; and when, eventually, somebody emerges, others will go to court.

Again, the north has 19 states; their votes also go in block. But here, when they share money, south east votes will be divided.

Moreover, I do not see APC government handing over power to somebody from the south east any time in the future. PDP will give presidential ticket to a northerner in 2023, after that tenure, the party will hand over to somebody from the south east. The only party that will sincerely give presidency to the Igboman is PDP. The Holy Spirit has revealed this to me. Few days ago, God showed me where somebody from the south emerged vice president in 2023.

How do you see continued disbandment of the Indigenous Peoples of Biafra, IPOB, by government?

If the agitation for Biafra will yield the desired fruit, the entire South East must be united in the struggle. A people cannot be agitating for a separate country, while others from the same zone will accept ambassadorial and ministerial appointments, and others will contest elections or serve in the government of the country they are rejecting. It cannot work that way. If it must work, Igbo politicians must stop participating in Nigerian politics; they should stop accepting ministerial and ambassadorial positions; Igbo schools must stop using Nigeria’s academic calendar; people from the region, who are in the Nigerian police and army should withdraw their services and return home; then, it will be said that agitation has begun.

How many Igbo people in political appointments, and in the military and para-military agencies are ready to sacrifice their sources of livelihood? If an Igboman is contesting to become president of Nigeria; others gunning for the senate, etc, how could the region claim they are serious in their agitation for secession? If there must be such division as demanded by IPOB, the south east people must agree to withdraw any form of relationship with Nigeria; then, the United Nations will know that the south east is ready to leave Nigeria. Presently, Biafra agitation is still at the level of awareness creation.

QUOTATION:

"How many Igbo people in political appointments, and in the military and para-military agencies are ready to sacrifice their sources of livelihood? If an Igboman is contesting to become president of Nigeria; others gunning for the senate, etc, how could the region claim they are serious in their agitation for secession? If there must be such division as demanded by IPOB, the south east people must agree to withdraw any form of relationship with Nigeria; then, the United Nations will know that the south east is ready to leave Nigeria. Presently, Biafra agitation is still at the level of awareness creation."

(1) (Reply)

Video Of Ajimobi's Burial Today In Ibadan | Entv / A Message For Tony Kabaka / Speech By The Kwara State NMA Chairman,Dr. M.S.K SOLAGBERU

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.