Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,159 members, 7,818,522 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:53 PM

Reasons Why Dubai Is Called FAKE CITY - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Reasons Why Dubai Is Called FAKE CITY (2186 Views)

Dubai Is not a Country, Doesn't have Natural Rivers, More Developed than Nigeria / Here Is Why Dubai Is The Hottest Travel Destination For Job Seekers / Dubai Is Just Good For Tourism. Most Nigerians Are Suffering There. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reasons Why Dubai Is Called FAKE CITY by Olodonairaland(m): 5:53pm On Jun 23, 2020
Other people in the answers say it because its very “artificial”, due to it going against the climate, its expensive projects and buildings. That is true, but there is reason why Dubai is called “fake”.

Under the glamourous facade:

These are the exploited migrant workers in Dubai. These are the typical living conditions for them.

There are around 9.4million migrant workers in Dubai, mostly from India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Egypt. They are paid extremely low wages—what usually happens is, the migrant worker receives an offer from their home country. The offer is of a high wage, which most workers intend to send back to their family. However when they arrive they are made to sign contracts of far lower wage, even though it is illegal under UAE law. This problem is ignored (no surprise here).

Due to their low earning wages they are unable to afford plane tickets home for many, many years. Even if they do, many have their passports taken away by their employers. It is near impossible to leave.

Here is an extract from The Guardian.

“99 women working in the oil-rich nation were interviewed. Some of the women were forced to work up to 21 hours a day, some were not allowed to leave the house, and some were denied sufficient food. Others were beaten. Almost all had their passports taken away.

“The work wasn’t what I expected it to be. It was totally different. I would wake up to start cooking, then cleaning, washing clothes, and then cooking again. No rest, there was just no rest … Because she kept yelling, I cried and asked to go back to agency, but Madam said: ‘I already bought you,’” a 23-year-old Indonesian said.

“My boss started hitting me after two weeks of being there,” another worker from Indonesia said. “She hit me with her fist to my chest. She scraped her fingernails on my neck, and slapped my face. I was bruised on my neck. She sometimes pulled out tufts of my hair.” The worker said she remained there, hoping to be paid, but never was. HRW said some of the abuse amounted to forced labour or trafficking.”

This is hardly uncommon—Dubai has wealth, resources, oil(although it is running out) yet they choose to use it to build glitzy projects like this,

For what? To get into the Guiness World Record book? Boost the nation’s ego? Instill patriotic pride? There are thousands of other ways money can be used to improve Dubai, e.g. Stop exploiting migrant workers, fix wealth inequality gap.

Strangely, tourists report that some of the skyscrapers and fancy buildings are…unusually empty. It because so much money is spent on the exteriors, little money is left for the interiors. Of course another factor is that the rent is unsuakly high, but in places like Hong Kong(where rent is even higher), London, etc, you don’t get that kind of “emptiness”.

That’s why Dubai is called “fake”. Because under the 800metre skyscrapers are exploited migrant workers that haven’t seen their family in years and live in horrendous conditions.

Until Dubai fixes this problem I will not be visiting Dubai and allowing them to continue their exploitation by supporting those ludicrous hotels.

Culled from Quora

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Reasons Why Dubai Is Called FAKE CITY by Purplebubble: 7:59pm On Jun 23, 2020
Hmmn
Re: Reasons Why Dubai Is Called FAKE CITY by Goodman247: 2:37am On Jun 24, 2020
Hmmm, there is still ugliness inside a beautiful city
Re: Reasons Why Dubai Is Called FAKE CITY by meobizy(f): 2:12pm On Jun 24, 2020
Arabs are evil. Is it today people know? A lot of them from poor nations will rather go to Christian lands where they are treated like humans than work for their wealthy counterparts. Nigerians, don’t smile. Your country is a shithole.

3 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Dubai Is Called FAKE CITY by Raydos: 4:47pm On Jun 24, 2020
I have always tell people around me, Dubai isn't for Hustlers, It's only for tourist!!

Almost 90% of Dubai returnee I've interviewed share the same view about Dubai,

They seize your visa and use you like animal!!

4 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Dubai Is Called FAKE CITY by Olodonairaland(m): 7:30am On Jun 25, 2020
I have a friend a colleague who quit his 70K job and apply for Dubai visa and he was granted

Before then he told me and I advice him not to apply for Dubai visa but he refuse and went ahead before I knew he was already in Dubai working ....

3 month later I heard from someone that he's back in the country, 5 month after I saw him in person and I asked him why did he came back early he said to me that he only went there for a project .that the project is complete that's why he's back .I know it's a lie.

I heard from another of my colleagues that he wanted to return to the job he left and he was making demanding and negotiating salary with his superiors,and it did work out.

What I want to let you people know is that when you want to travel anywhere please do proper investigation and search about where you're visiting. Weither working,schooling or leisure.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Dubai Is Called FAKE CITY by NONNYG: 7:52am On Jun 25, 2020
Raydos:
I have always tell people around me, Dubai isn't for Hustlers, It's only for tourist!!

Are you kidding me? Is this the same Dubai I've been living for years?

Dubai is one of the best place for vacation, one can hustle here as well but it depends on the kind of hustle you're talking about. I've seen so many people progress here and also many people regretted their coming.
Travelling abroad requires proper research, but people travel cos of frustration, ignorance is another problem why people fail here.

UAE of yesterday is not same UAE of today, if you don't have skills, it's very difficult to get a job. Even with the skills, job is still not guaranteed because those with UAE experience are the most preferred.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Dubai Is Called FAKE CITY by Olodonairaland(m): 8:01am On Jun 25, 2020
The percentage of people making progress in Dubai is not high to the percentage of people regretting their coming and hustle .

Some there their visa has expire

While some were roaming around the local places

Some are living in object poverty and there are using some of the girls there as sex slave.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Dubai Is Called FAKE CITY by osamedion: 11:56am On Jun 25, 2020
God will never forgive those Travel agents back home in Nigeria.They will sit there in that their godforsaken office and promise people they have jobs in Dubai,some of them that have not even boarded a plane before. People like Capital Travels in Ojodu Berger with the sweetest mouth I have ever seen. I will provide more update on him later.
Please,if you have a job of even 50k per month and to some extent you are comfortable with it with no pressure,I will advise you to stick with,save up till you can afford Europe or US. Those that mostly don't complain and endure are those that have no job at all back home,or are already used to hard labour, how do you expect such a person to complain?? Have you ever worked in an Indian company in Nigeria? You know how they treat people? That's volume one of what you are going to experience here in UAE.
Am talking not from my only personal experience but what 95% of us are facing here but those here too won't tell you the truth cos we Nigerians can live fake life hen? Fake everything...My people,your cool 50k is better than 1200diram here with hard labour!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Reasons Why Dubai Is Called FAKE CITY by Hadampson(m): 12:02pm On Jun 25, 2020
meobizy:
Arabs are evil. Is it today people know? A lot of them from poor nations will rather go to Christian lands where they are treated like humans than work for their wealthy counterparts. Nigerians, don’t smile. Your country is a shithole.

You people always talk about Arabs... What about the Chinese, Lebanese, Indians etc

In every country, you will find bad people.. Not only in Arab nations
Re: Reasons Why Dubai Is Called FAKE CITY by Hadampson(m): 12:04pm On Jun 25, 2020
Olodonairaland:
The percentage of people making progress in Dubai is not high to the percentage of people regretting their coming and hustle .

Some there their visa has expire

While some were roaming around the local places

Some are living in object poverty and there are using some of the girls there as sex slave.

Dubai to me is just a country where you can go for sightseeing tour... Nothing dey that country

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Dubai Is Called FAKE CITY by Hadampson(m): 12:05pm On Jun 25, 2020
Raydos:

Not only Dubai... Oman, turkey, Kuwait, Jordan, Lebanon... Any country located in the middle east should be avoided

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Dubai Is Called FAKE CITY by Olodonairaland(m): 12:19pm On Jun 25, 2020
Absolutely
Hadampson:

Dubai to me is just a country where you can go for sightseeing tour... Nothing dey that country
Re: Reasons Why Dubai Is Called FAKE CITY by Nobody: 7:19pm On Jun 25, 2020
I don’t know if this is the right place to ask this but let me try.

Can someone pls enlighten me on this Hushpuppi situation? I don’t understand how someone who is smart enough to scam over 1 million people, hack government systems, 15 billion worth of assets, would be stupid to flash it on Instagram.

I know people can be reckless but there had been accusations about him being a scammer and he called them haters and kept flaunting his cash online. I mean, a thief can’t be that dumb. Especially not on social media even with all the accusations and rumors.
He didn’t think he would attract the authorities? His colleagues didn’t warn him? He didn’t think anybody would investigate his wealth? Is there something I’m missing?

4 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Dubai Is Called FAKE CITY by tillaman(m): 7:26pm On Jun 25, 2020
Danielhouston:

Can someone pls enlighten me on this Hushpuppi situation? I don’t understand how someone who is smart enough to scam over 1 million people, hack government systems, 15 billion worth of assets, would be stupid to flash it on Instagram.

I know people can be reckless but there had been accusations about him being a scammer and he called them haters and kept flaunting his cash online. I mean, a thief can’t be that dumb. Especially not on social media even with all the accusations and rumors.
He didn’t think he would attract the authorities? His colleagues didn’t warn him? He didn’t think anybody would investigate his wealth? Is there something I’m missing?
hushpuppi thought he was untouchable in the UAE due to the connections he created with his spending habit, fly cars and Boujee apartments he thought he is protected based on say na Arabic country he didn’t know they will throw him to the wolves without second guessing!
He was a dummy!!

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Dubai Is Called FAKE CITY by GeeConn(m): 12:23am On Jun 27, 2020
Danielhouston:

Greetings Baba, hope you are doing great? I want to say a biig thanks to you for this thread. It inspired me so much.

https://www.nairaland.com/5833204/being-black-berlin-germany

And I want to beg you not to abandon us like that. You can be updating it at least once a week. Please I sincerely apologize on behalf of everyone that offended you there. Pls Sir, come back. we need you back.
Re: Reasons Why Dubai Is Called FAKE CITY by Nobody: 12:56am On Jun 28, 2020
GeeConn:

Greetings Baba, hope you are doing great? I want to say a biig thanks to you for this thread. It inspired me so much.

https://www.nairaland.com/5833204/being-black-berlin-germany

And I want to beg you not to abandon us like that. You can be updating it at least once a week. Please I sincerely apologize on behalf of everyone that offended you there. Pls Sir, come back. we need you back.

Thank you for this, but apology is not the reason I’m staying away. I’m just taking time to read and learn more about this Nairaland Forum. I will consider resuming the thread next week if the Admins would reopen it. Have a good weekend.

6 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Dubai Is Called FAKE CITY by GeeConn(m): 5:01am On Jun 28, 2020
Danielhouston:

Thank you for this, but apology is not the reason I’m staying away. I’m just taking time to read and learn more about this Nairaland Forum.
Haa Nairaland is just like Nigerian politics, they can smear anyone. There are many funny characters here. Their aim is just to provoke you and stop whatever good thing you are doing. Please Sir, You just have to ignore them.

if the Admins would reopen it.
Yea, the Admin, Justwise said he will open it once you tell him. He is waiting for you
justwise: If you want this thread reopened let me know.

I will consider resuming the thread next week
Ahh, Thank you very much ooo. I and your fans too will be so grateful. That your thread alone, answered so many of my questions. Thanks and have a nice week.

(1) (Reply)

UK Visa: How To Prove That This Man Is My Uncle? / Any Direct Flight From Ilorin To Kano? / Direction From Ayobo To Anifowoshe, Ikeja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.