Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,973 members, 7,817,865 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:36 PM

Does The Police Have The Right To Search Through My Phone - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Does The Police Have The Right To Search Through My Phone (738 Views)

You Have No Right To Search My Phone - Guy Cries Out As SARS Officers Slap Him / Does The Police Have The Right To Stop And Search My Car? / Man Caught With 2 Human Skulls In Calabar: 'Police Have No Right To Arrest Me' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does The Police Have The Right To Search Through My Phone by chukwumzurum(m): 9:18pm On Jun 23, 2020
It is not new or unheard of, at the manner which The Nigeria police and efcc randomly search through the phones of young men and ladies.
This is common in the higher institutions where they raid student lodges or hostels, gather up phones and laptops and forcefully access them. After which they round up this students and accuse them of crimes ranging from, internet fraud, cultism, homosexuality etc.
Being aware that the police has no right to search through my belongings else they present a search warrant. How can I redress any Injustice done to me by this means.

1 Like

Re: Does The Police Have The Right To Search Through My Phone by Nobody: 9:22pm On Jun 23, 2020
See let me tell you, Niger matter get as e be, mad ppl full everywhere believe me undecided undecided.
They just released a friend of mine from Iyaganku, and he was telling me his experience.
If u wan debate with this so called, mad black uniform men, dear just do am jejely, cuz when there is life there is hope.
Niger matter is beyond human comprehension, I weak sincerely undecided undecided undecided.. everywhere just mad, everyone hvn madness symptoms undecided undecided.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does The Police Have The Right To Search Through My Phone by allswellis(m): 9:33pm On Jun 23, 2020
you have the right to your privacy....but there are certain limitations to this right....the police on uniform has every right to go through your phone 100%

1 Like

Re: Does The Police Have The Right To Search Through My Phone by chukwumzurum(m): 9:50pm On Jun 23, 2020
allswellis:
you have the right to your privacy....but there are certain limitations to this right....the police on uniform has every right to go through your phone 100%
According to the 'Digital Rights and Freedom Bill', “Government agencies shall obtain a search warrant based on probable cause before obtaining transactional data in real time about when and with whom an individual communicates using email, instant messaging, text messaging, the telephone or other communications technology … Government agencies shall demonstrate to a court that such data is relevant to an authorized criminal investigation.”
According to the Police Act, the police have a general power to prevent and detect crime, apprehend offenders, and preserve law and order. In carrying out this function, a police officer has the power to stop and search a person in circumstances where the person is in possession of stolen or unlawfully obtained property.” This only means that the police can search in circumstances where there is a reasonable suspicion that the property with a person is stolen or unlawfully obtained. although the police has the power to prevent and detect crime, they do not have a specific power authorising them to search people’s phones and computers. The contents of a person’s phone and computer is his personal information and he has a right to his privacy. So if the Police has reason to believe that the information in a person’s computer or phone is needed for the investigation of a crime, they can search it. But they must inform either a Magistrate or High Court or get a search warrant before conducting the search of a person’s phone or computer.

1 Like

Re: Does The Police Have The Right To Search Through My Phone by ojun50(m): 9:51pm On Jun 23, 2020
Guy if you no won shorting ur life sperm forget rule of law for Nigeria....... Na plenty mad people dey wear uniform now.

2 Likes

Re: Does The Police Have The Right To Search Through My Phone by Olabode971(f): 1:23am On Jun 24, 2020
Nigeria is like a lawless con3 left in the hands of hoodlums... Abeg, you should know anything can sprouts up anytime

1 Like

Re: Does The Police Have The Right To Search Through My Phone by Exmilitant(m): 7:13am On Jun 24, 2020
Op, desperate times calls for desperate measures. Yahoo boy, internet fraudsters, scammers are on the increase and causing severe damages to so many people home and away. So if there is no skeleton in your cupboard/phones/laptops, why not jejely hand them over for some few minutes of scrutiny? It won't kill you.
Re: Does The Police Have The Right To Search Through My Phone by chukwumzurum(m): 9:03am On Jun 24, 2020
Exmilitant:
Op, desperate times calls for desperate measures. Yahoo boy, internet fraudsters, scammers are on the increase and causing severe damages to so many people home and away. So if there is no skeleton in your cupboard/phones/laptops, why not jejely hand them over for some few minutes of scrutiny? It won't kill you.
The issues is not that they are actually fishing out Yahoo guys, they are after taking you to their station and making you to bail your self out with 10k or more..
it is a means by which they extort money from innocent youths. They can accuse you of any crime they so wish to... (imagine accusing you of dealing with drugs after going through your chats.)
Re: Does The Police Have The Right To Search Through My Phone by Exmilitant(m): 9:25am On Jun 24, 2020
chukwumzurum:

The issues is not that they are actually fishing out Yahoo guys, they are after taking you to their station and making you to bail your self out with 10k or more..
it is a means by which they extort money from innocent youths. They can accuse you of any crime they so wish to... (imagine accusing you of dealing with drugs after going through your chats.)
Stay safe, stay outta trouble. Avoid places that puts you in their radar. We live in a crooked system. Learn to be smart. Learn to be dodgy. Many a man are suffering for crimes they didn't commit just because of circumstances. Shalom!

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Men Eat Their Sacrificial Feast After Being Caught By Residents In Lagos. VIDEO / New Pos Scam Alert!!!! / How My Sister Was "Harrassed" By My Friend's Father

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.