Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,329 members, 7,864,586 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 09:01 PM

Teenage Girl Swept Away By Flood Buried Near Surulere Canal - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Teenage Girl Swept Away By Flood Buried Near Surulere Canal (62576 Views)

Lagos Fire Service Rescues 8-Year-Old Boy From Drowning In Canal (Video) / COVID-19 In New York: Hundreds Of Bodies Buried In Mass Grave On Island(Pics) / Pregnant Woman In Need Of Emergency C-section Turned Away By Hospital (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Teenage Girl Swept Away By Flood Buried Near Surulere Canal by tydi(m): 11:13am On Jun 24, 2020
shocked

I'm in shock
Re: Teenage Girl Swept Away By Flood Buried Near Surulere Canal by AmazingELixir: 11:13am On Jun 24, 2020
kozmokaz:
Growing up I was made to believe that of someone dies by drowning, they will have to bury him/her near the water ? How true is this ?

undecided

And you are now a grown up
Re: Teenage Girl Swept Away By Flood Buried Near Surulere Canal by Nobody: 11:13am On Jun 24, 2020
OgThanos:

Are you saying even the family of the deceased won't be allowed by the community to claim her body? angry
Yes bro
Re: Teenage Girl Swept Away By Flood Buried Near Surulere Canal by seborrhic: 11:13am On Jun 24, 2020
Why did they have to bury her beside the canal.
To me it's totally disrespectful.
Asides that it's not environmentally friendly to bury a corpse indiscrimately besides a waterway.
Her home or a designated burial ground would have done more honor to this girl.

2 Likes

Re: Teenage Girl Swept Away By Flood Buried Near Surulere Canal by oluwaseyi0: 11:13am On Jun 24, 2020
B
Re: Teenage Girl Swept Away By Flood Buried Near Surulere Canal by Mexeno19(m): 11:13am On Jun 24, 2020
Rip
Re: Teenage Girl Swept Away By Flood Buried Near Surulere Canal by TOPCRUISE(m): 11:14am On Jun 24, 2020
It's is better staying put somewhere during rainy season. Running errands, visiting, loitering, site seeing or wandering in flooded areas and places with canals is risky. But every year we always hear news like this
Re: Teenage Girl Swept Away By Flood Buried Near Surulere Canal by Nobody: 11:15am On Jun 24, 2020
SirDanny7:

so na here you dey since cheesy cheesy
I dey contribute to nrl traffic by creating FP worthy news. cool
Re: Teenage Girl Swept Away By Flood Buried Near Surulere Canal by MrMcJay(m): 11:16am On Jun 24, 2020
seborrhic:
Why did they have to bury her beside the canal.
To me it's totally disrespectful.
Asides that it's not environmentally friendly to bury a corpse indiscrimately besides a waterway.
Her home or a designated burial ground would have done more honor to this girl.

Keep blowing grammar. In 2001, Lagos State Government and the FG buried those who drowned in the canal just beside the canal.

If you think I'm lying, check Google and you would see pictures.

3 Likes

Re: Teenage Girl Swept Away By Flood Buried Near Surulere Canal by Nobody: 11:16am On Jun 24, 2020
ukaface:
why?
Myth.
Re: Teenage Girl Swept Away By Flood Buried Near Surulere Canal by Xisnin(m): 11:17am On Jun 24, 2020
kozmokaz:
Growing up I was made to believe that of someone dies by drowning, they will have to bury him/her near the water ? How true is this ?
That is no different than saying that men pay bride price.
It doesn't mean they must, it is just a relic of the past.
Re: Teenage Girl Swept Away By Flood Buried Near Surulere Canal by sonofElElyon: 11:17am On Jun 24, 2020
that was a govt decision to honour the souls of the multitude who died... not the decision of community leaders

MrMcJay:

Very true.
Do you know that the bodies of more than 1,200 people who drowned in the Oke Afa canal in 2001 were buried just beside the canal?
Re: Teenage Girl Swept Away By Flood Buried Near Surulere Canal by Nobody: 11:17am On Jun 24, 2020
kuntash:

THE GOAL OF LIVING SHOULD BE ETERNAL LIFE AND NOT DEATH...
we ain't immortal.
Re: Teenage Girl Swept Away By Flood Buried Near Surulere Canal by ukaface(f): 11:18am On Jun 24, 2020
TheRealProphet:
Myth.
any consequence if the body gets buried else where?
Re: Teenage Girl Swept Away By Flood Buried Near Surulere Canal by Nobody: 11:19am On Jun 24, 2020
ukaface:
any consequence if the body gets buried else where?
occasional flood will occur.
Re: Teenage Girl Swept Away By Flood Buried Near Surulere Canal by Masterpiec30: 11:19am On Jun 24, 2020
IT SEEMS THIS NAIRALAND COPIES AN ALREADY OUTDATED NEWS FROM LINDA IKEJI'S BLOG grin. SINCE I STARTED FOLLOWING LINDA IKEJI'S BLOG ITS AS IF I AM READING ALL THE NEWS THE SECOND TIME HERE ON NAIRALAND. LINDA IS ON ANOTHER LEVEL BIKO. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Teenage Girl Swept Away By Flood Buried Near Surulere Canal by AmDayo: 11:21am On Jun 24, 2020
Muhylonaire:
Lagos and flood

Bros Abeg find me something, please any amount is appreciated and I won't mind if you can show me the way forward...
Thank you.
Re: Teenage Girl Swept Away By Flood Buried Near Surulere Canal by MrMcJay(m): 11:21am On Jun 24, 2020
sonofElElyon:
that was a govt decision to honour the souls of the multitude who died... not the decision of community leaders

Honour? I laugh.

In most cultures it’s widely believed that when someone drowned in a river he/she is “collected “ by the river goddess, so it’s now a property of the goddess, so if you want to take back the person’s corpse from her you have to appease her and seek her permission otherwise she will get angry and kill more members of that family holding her property until the corpse is exhumed and returned back to her.

Even Fela who was an atheist sang about it in his song "Water no get enemy".

3 Likes

Re: Teenage Girl Swept Away By Flood Buried Near Surulere Canal by Bewiseedet(m): 11:22am On Jun 24, 2020
19yrs old is no teenager abegi. Person wey done dey Bleep tire.
Re: Teenage Girl Swept Away By Flood Buried Near Surulere Canal by ukaface(f): 11:22am On Jun 24, 2020
TheRealProphet:
occasional flood will occur.
funny though
So the flood that caused her death was probably as a result of not burying a particular body too close to a canal?

Sorry for asking so much questions, I'm just curious
Re: Teenage Girl Swept Away By Flood Buried Near Surulere Canal by joyandfaith: 11:22am On Jun 24, 2020
kozmokaz:

rubbish tradition
Re: Teenage Girl Swept Away By Flood Buried Near Surulere Canal by ednut1(m): 11:22am On Jun 24, 2020
kozmokaz:
witnessed a burial at alpha beach. 3 boys drowned and were buried at the beach. I never went there again o
Re: Teenage Girl Swept Away By Flood Buried Near Surulere Canal by lotasha(f): 11:23am On Jun 24, 2020
arantess:

utter bollocks!!
this practice is found mostly in africa
Oga it is no fallacy o.anybody that dies as a result of water death must be buried close to the water path.
Re: Teenage Girl Swept Away By Flood Buried Near Surulere Canal by patexcool(f): 11:24am On Jun 24, 2020
so sad, RIP dear
Re: Teenage Girl Swept Away By Flood Buried Near Surulere Canal by ukaface(f): 11:24am On Jun 24, 2020
Bewiseedet:
19yrs old is no teenager abegi. Person wey done dey Bleep tire.
so your definition of a teenager is about if he / she don dey bleep or not? Or the number of times he / she don bleep?
Re: Teenage Girl Swept Away By Flood Buried Near Surulere Canal by onyenatruchi: 11:24am On Jun 24, 2020
too bad
Re: Teenage Girl Swept Away By Flood Buried Near Surulere Canal by MrMcJay(m): 11:24am On Jun 24, 2020
joyandfaith:
rubbish tradition

The migrants who drowned in Italy, where do you think they were buried?

1 Like

Re: Teenage Girl Swept Away By Flood Buried Near Surulere Canal by SaintBishop: 11:24am On Jun 24, 2020
RIP.
Re: Teenage Girl Swept Away By Flood Buried Near Surulere Canal by MrMcJay(m): 11:26am On Jun 24, 2020
arantess:

utter bollocks!!
this practice is found mostly in africa

Travelling is part of education. When you travel and you see the same in other parts of the world, you'll be better enlightened.

2 Likes

Re: Teenage Girl Swept Away By Flood Buried Near Surulere Canal by Nobody: 11:28am On Jun 24, 2020
ukaface:
funny though
So the flood that caused her death was probably as a result of not burying a particular body too close to a canal?

Sorry for asking so much questions, I'm just curious
Africa beliefs can be funny..old peeps will explain better..d flood might be due to drainage obstructions.
Re: Teenage Girl Swept Away By Flood Buried Near Surulere Canal by joyandfaith: 11:28am On Jun 24, 2020
MrMcJay:

The migrants who drowned in Italy, where do you think they were buried?

cemetery

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Family Of Dead Nigerian Nurse On The Run / Ladies Only! 5 Reasons Why Your Vagina Itches / What Is Jedi Jedi Called In English Language

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.