Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,445 members, 7,864,904 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 09:10 AM

Teenage Girl Swept Away By Flood Buried Near Surulere Canal - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Teenage Girl Swept Away By Flood Buried Near Surulere Canal (62577 Views)

Lagos Fire Service Rescues 8-Year-Old Boy From Drowning In Canal (Video) / COVID-19 In New York: Hundreds Of Bodies Buried In Mass Grave On Island(Pics) / Pregnant Woman In Need Of Emergency C-section Turned Away By Hospital (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Teenage Girl Swept Away By Flood Buried Near Surulere Canal by Exmilitant(m): 12:06pm On Jun 24, 2020
Ventura1:
RIP girl

Burying someone that drown besides the water bodies is just superstition, the proponents won't give any cogent reasons if probed. Will it stop future occurrences, absolutely NO!

Someone that drown in ocean, where will they be buried?
the practice began with early sailors and then continued with the pirates who believed those who died in sea belonged to Neptune. Its not a superstition or African thing as someone said. It is a universal principle. I onced sailed the seas.

1 Like

Re: Teenage Girl Swept Away By Flood Buried Near Surulere Canal by chinonso23(m): 12:13pm On Jun 24, 2020
very sad
Re: Teenage Girl Swept Away By Flood Buried Near Surulere Canal by mariatt(f): 12:14pm On Jun 24, 2020
Sad
Re: Teenage Girl Swept Away By Flood Buried Near Surulere Canal by Arkmanbuddy(m): 12:17pm On Jun 24, 2020
ukaface:
that's what makes it AFRICA.

That's why Africa is not developed...people with crazy superstitions.
Re: Teenage Girl Swept Away By Flood Buried Near Surulere Canal by Somodooo: 12:18pm On Jun 24, 2020
[s]
MrCanceller:
I love your moniker cool
[/s]
Re: Teenage Girl Swept Away By Flood Buried Near Surulere Canal by LINTUNE(m): 12:18pm On Jun 24, 2020
Slawormir:
Damnnnnn niggarrr
Too bad. May her soul rest in peace

I remember that year.
May God bless our mothers

My mummy go always dey warn me say if rain dey fall make i hide first untill the rain fall finish and the flood dry up before I begin go anywhere way i want go
Especially that year for primary school...she go warn me ehnn.

Now i realize she was actually protecting me from flood and death
Mehhnnn. We have only one true love and that is mother's love. I love you mom. Me must double my huzzle and buy you lexus Rx 350 before July ending
naso..brotherly
Re: Teenage Girl Swept Away By Flood Buried Near Surulere Canal by MrMcJay(m): 12:21pm On Jun 24, 2020
WakeNbaked:

It is not, you were talking about burial close to the river.

In traditional Yoruba culture, when someone is killed by water(drowns), it is believed that such person is killed by the water spirits and some rites must be performed to appease such spirits. Those rituals are water-based and interment beside the water is part of those rites.

This same thing is done in other parts of the world where they have largely aquatic settlements. Most even throw the person in water.

1 Like

Re: Teenage Girl Swept Away By Flood Buried Near Surulere Canal by MrMcJay(m): 12:27pm On Jun 24, 2020
Xavfra:
No vex, abeg gist me the story of the oke afa

Jan 27, 2001.
Extremely hot temperatures caused stored bombs to explode at Ikeja Cantonment. The sounds were heard all around Lagos. People at Oke Afa area tried running from one end to the other and because they saw seaweed cover the canal, they didn't know it was deep.

Eventually people sank in the mud and close to 2000 died in that canal but they couldn't recover all the bodies.

All bodies recovered were buried by the Lagos State Government just beside the canal. If you go there, there is a cenotaph there.

1 Like

Re: Teenage Girl Swept Away By Flood Buried Near Surulere Canal by MozB: 12:32pm On Jun 24, 2020
kozmokaz:
Growing up I was made to believe that of someone dies by drowning, they will have to bury him/her near the water ? How true is this ?

It's superstition
Re: Teenage Girl Swept Away By Flood Buried Near Surulere Canal by Olatara(f): 12:37pm On Jun 24, 2020
MrMcJay:

Very true.
Do you know that the bodies of more than 1,200 people who drowned in the Oke Afa canal in 2001 were buried just beside the canal?

Those arguing, you know more than the Lagos State Government abi?

In most cultures it’s widely believed that when someone drowned in a river he/she is “collected “ by the river goddess, so it’s now a property of the goddess, so if you want to take back the person’s corpse from her you have to appease her and seek her permission otherwise she will get angry and kill more members of that family holding her property until the corpse is exhumed and returned back to her.

Even Fela who was an atheist sang about it in his song "Water no get enemy".
Fella wasn't an atheist, he just didn't do the Western and Eastern religion.
Re: Teenage Girl Swept Away By Flood Buried Near Surulere Canal by egalitarianism: 12:38pm On Jun 24, 2020
[s]
MrMcJay:

Very true.
Do you know that the bodies of more than 1,200 people who drowned in the Oke Afa canal in 2001 were buried just beside the canal?

In most cultures it’s widely believed that when someone drowned in a river he/she is “collected “ by the river goddess, so it’s now a property of the goddess, so if you want to take back the person’s corpse from her you have to appease her and seek her permission otherwise she will get angry and kill more members of that family holding her property until the corpse is exhumed and returned back to her.

Even Fela who was an atheist sang about it in his song "Water no get enemy".
[/s]
Damn. My son, very Nonsense tradition. It has no basis and effect what so ever. It's mere superstition
Re: Teenage Girl Swept Away By Flood Buried Near Surulere Canal by egalitarianism: 12:39pm On Jun 24, 2020
[s]
TheRealProphet:
Very true mate.
[/s]
Damn. My son, it's superstition
Re: Teenage Girl Swept Away By Flood Buried Near Surulere Canal by egalitarianism: 12:40pm On Jun 24, 2020
kozmokaz:
Growing up I was made to believe that of someone dies by drowning, they will have to bury him/her near the water ? How true is this ?
Damn. My son, don't mind them, it's superstition
Re: Teenage Girl Swept Away By Flood Buried Near Surulere Canal by Nobody: 12:42pm On Jun 24, 2020
egalitarianism:

Damn. My son, it's superstition
angry
Re: Teenage Girl Swept Away By Flood Buried Near Surulere Canal by MrMcJay(m): 12:47pm On Jun 24, 2020
Olatara:
Fella wasn't an atheist, he just didn't do the Western and Eastern religion.

Thanks for the correction.

2 Likes

Re: Teenage Girl Swept Away By Flood Buried Near Surulere Canal by MrMcJay(m): 12:48pm On Jun 24, 2020
egalitarianism:
[s][/s]
Damn. My son, very Nonsense tradition. It has no basis and effect what so ever. It's mere superstition

Okay. Why were Jews buried in tombs back in the day? Even Jesus was buried in a tomb. Why was that so?

1 Like

Re: Teenage Girl Swept Away By Flood Buried Near Surulere Canal by egalitarianism: 12:59pm On Jun 24, 2020
TheRealProphet:
angry
Damn. Yes my son
Re: Teenage Girl Swept Away By Flood Buried Near Surulere Canal by egalitarianism: 1:00pm On Jun 24, 2020
MrMcJay:

Okay. Why were Jews buried in tombs back in the day? Even Jesus was buried in a tomb. Why was that so?
Damn. My son, are you Jews? are you Jesus?
Re: Teenage Girl Swept Away By Flood Buried Near Surulere Canal by gowonmaharajah(m): 1:01pm On Jun 24, 2020
joyandfaith:

rubbish tradition
we like it like that!
Re: Teenage Girl Swept Away By Flood Buried Near Surulere Canal by Nobody: 1:15pm On Jun 24, 2020
egalitarianism:

Damn. Yes my son

Re: Teenage Girl Swept Away By Flood Buried Near Surulere Canal by MrMcJay(m): 1:24pm On Jun 24, 2020
egalitarianism:

Damn. My son, are you Jews? are you Jesus?

You have no answer to that and no answer to this. You should travel more and read more.
Re: Teenage Girl Swept Away By Flood Buried Near Surulere Canal by egalitarianism: 1:26pm On Jun 24, 2020
MrMcJay:

You have no answer to that and no answer to this. [s]You should travel more and read more.
[/s]
Damn. My son, don't let pride overwhelm you. you don't know me. Stay out of trouble son
Re: Teenage Girl Swept Away By Flood Buried Near Surulere Canal by Decryptor(m): 1:27pm On Jun 24, 2020
kozmokaz:

African myopic and cave belief and tradition!!
Re: Teenage Girl Swept Away By Flood Buried Near Surulere Canal by jidxin(m): 1:30pm On Jun 24, 2020
kozmokaz:
all lies, but its tradition that can be do away with
Re: Teenage Girl Swept Away By Flood Buried Near Surulere Canal by MrMcJay(m): 1:40pm On Jun 24, 2020
egalitarianism:
[/s]
Damn. My son, don't let pride overwhelm you. you don't know me. Stay out of trouble son

Lol

1 Like

Re: Teenage Girl Swept Away By Flood Buried Near Surulere Canal by sylve11: 2:01pm On Jun 24, 2020
ukaface:
so your definition of a teenager is about if he / she don dey bleep or not? Or the number of times he / she don bleep?

That person you quoted is an unwise fellow. cool
Re: Teenage Girl Swept Away By Flood Buried Near Surulere Canal by boym(m): 2:05pm On Jun 24, 2020
read dis joke below and laugh ur heart out

Re: Teenage Girl Swept Away By Flood Buried Near Surulere Canal by Beyhiodie(m): 2:12pm On Jun 24, 2020
MrMcJay:

Very true.

Even Fela sang about it in his song "Water no get enemy".

Her property indeed.
Re: Teenage Girl Swept Away By Flood Buried Near Surulere Canal by frog12: 2:19pm On Jun 24, 2020
you see the dangers of bad drainage system.
the girl no fit distinguish between road and canal during flood.
lagos government to blame
Re: Teenage Girl Swept Away By Flood Buried Near Surulere Canal by Kokoboss: 2:20pm On Jun 24, 2020
This thing touch me... Rip dear
Re: Teenage Girl Swept Away By Flood Buried Near Surulere Canal by YaksonFCA(m): 2:26pm On Jun 24, 2020
RIP. Condolences

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Family Of Dead Nigerian Nurse On The Run / Ladies Only! 5 Reasons Why Your Vagina Itches / What Is Jedi Jedi Called In English Language

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.