Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,439 members, 7,819,616 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:10 PM

South Africa To Start Africa's First Coronavirus Vaccine Trial This Week - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / South Africa To Start Africa's First Coronavirus Vaccine Trial This Week (158 Views)

Coronavirus: First Patients Injected In UK Vaccine Trial / Iraq Announces First Coronavirus Death / Senegal Confirms First Coronavirus Case, Patient Is A French Man (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

South Africa To Start Africa's First Coronavirus Vaccine Trial This Week by jumia1: 12:05pm On Jun 24, 2020
Wits is collaborating with the University of Oxford and the Oxford Jenner Institute on the South African trial.

Brazil is planning its own pilot, while the United States is preparing to test another vaccine in a mass trial of up to 30,000 participants, AFP reports.

“As we enter winter in South Africa and pressure increases on public hospitals, now more than ever we need a vaccine to prevent infection by COVID-19,” Madhi said, describing the vaccine trial as a “landmark moment”.

Health Minister Zweli Mkhize echoed Madhi’s concerns, warning that South Africa was going through a “devastating storm” expected to peak “during the cold winter months”.

At the opening of a field hospital in the Eastern Cape province, Mkhize said more than half of South Africa’s population may be infected with the deadly virus.

“Our scientific estimation is that 60 to 70 percent of our population may be infected by coronavirus,” the minister said at the launch on Tuesday, adding that hospitalisation rates remained lower than anticipated.

Over 3,500 doctors and nurses have contracted COVID-19 since the start of the pandemic, and at least 34 have succumbed to the respiratory disease.

While South Africa prepares for its coronavirus vaccination trial, health officials have also pegged high hopes on dexamethasone, a generic anti-inflammatory drug found to reduce mortality among ventilated patients.

Click and watch how the drug is used by doctor:https://wahalablog.com/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: South Africa To Start Africa's First Coronavirus Vaccine Trial This Week by Hezzyluv: 12:06pm On Jun 24, 2020
Dear lord.....,

pls have mercy upon us (world) , and let an end come to covid-19
Re: South Africa To Start Africa's First Coronavirus Vaccine Trial This Week by Vyzz: 12:09pm On Jun 24, 2020
I hate our leaders

(1) (Reply)

Why You Need Food Supplements. / HE Toyin Saraki: How I Found My Way To Advocating For Safe Water And Sanitation / Cancer Survival: Natural Healing Ttreatment And Recovery Plan That Save My Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.