Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,189 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:56 AM

How Much Should I Bill For A Local Government Website? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / How Much Should I Bill For A Local Government Website? (1143 Views)

Benefits Of Choosing A Local Web Design Agency In Dubai (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Much Should I Bill For A Local Government Website? by klashe(m): 4:16pm On Jun 24, 2020
A friend of mind who knows I'm a web developer linked me with someone who wants to build a website for his LGA. The major features are payment gateway for tax, gallery of photos and map of the land area.

I honestly have no idea how much to bill, it's my first time of getting this kinda job.

Opinions please..
Re: How Much Should I Bill For A Local Government Website? by proff010: 4:23pm On Jun 24, 2020
2 million

3 Likes

Re: How Much Should I Bill For A Local Government Website? by Karlebolu(m): 5:45pm On Jun 24, 2020
proff010:
2 million

I second.

Make it 3 million, let them beat the price to around 2.5 million.

1 Like

Re: How Much Should I Bill For A Local Government Website? by tensazangetsu20(m): 5:47pm On Jun 24, 2020
Don't use WordPress abeg. Don't frustrate future users.

1 Like

Re: How Much Should I Bill For A Local Government Website? by Coder2Client(m): 5:59pm On Jun 24, 2020
The language to use for backend is?
Re: How Much Should I Bill For A Local Government Website? by chim14(m): 7:19pm On Jun 24, 2020
I thought some guys here will say 30k....lol
Re: How Much Should I Bill For A Local Government Website? by Thenaijaitguy: 7:30pm On Jun 24, 2020
If you need helping hands.
I'm available here are my stacks

Php/ laravel
Node js / Express
.net core / C#
Angular 7
Mysql
SQL server
Mongo db
Bootstrap

https://naijaitguys.com.ng
https://binarysolutions.com.ng
Re: How Much Should I Bill For A Local Government Website? by Presh900(m): 3:06am On Jun 25, 2020
chim14:
I thought some guys here will say 30k....lol
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy Let me say it. OP build it for 30k.
On a more serious note, i think you should charge them 1.5m. And when defending your pice,make sure you harp on that tax payment gateway as something big,also use words like encryption,unhackable,etc to blow their minds

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Much Should I Bill For A Local Government Website? by klashe(m): 8:26pm On Jun 25, 2020
Thank you guys for your opinions, I was even thinking of 2 million lol.
Re: How Much Should I Bill For A Local Government Website? by klashe(m): 8:30pm On Jun 25, 2020
tensazangetsu20:
Don't use WordPress abeg. Don't frustrate future users.
bro, can I please know why I shouldn't use WordPress because I think it will be easy for future developers to maintain. I'm a ruby and Ruby on Rails programmer though.
Re: How Much Should I Bill For A Local Government Website? by bassdow: 11:20pm On Jun 25, 2020
klashe:
bro, can I please know why I shouldn't use WordPress because I think it will ne easy for future developers to maintain. I'm a ruby and Ruby on Rails programmer though.

Except you're really a developer who can tear down a cms such as WordPress and use it as a framework, would suggest you don't use it Most especially if you plan making use of Page Builders and a Truck load of plugins.

WordPress is good but it's ease of Use makes it easy to be Misused and Abused.

Anyone who can't build a basic dynamic website without a Framework or CMS shouldn't call him or herself a Web designer let alone a Developer.

OP, I suggest (that's if you're not well experienced enough) you consider outsourcing to someone who knows better. You still get to make cool money.

For those asking you speak big grammar, wouldn't support such idea because you just would be creating issues for future contractors and / or employees.
You can't go far deceiving people Moreover when Clients' have bad experience(s), they tend to unleash their Frustration on future contractors/employers. There's a reason some insists on Exporting their projects abroad (not knowing outside isn't any much different either).

To you all, don't start same thing you criticize others (including the Government) for.

Thanks

3 Likes

Re: How Much Should I Bill For A Local Government Website? by Karlebolu(m): 11:37pm On Jun 25, 2020
bassdow:

Except you're really a developer who can tear down a cms such as WordPress and use it as a framework, would suggest you don't use it Most especially if you plan making use of Page Builders and a Truck load of plugins.

WordPress is good but it's ease of Use makes it easy to be Misused and Abused.

Anyone who can't build a basic dynamic website without a Framework or CMS shouldn't call him or herself a Web designer let alone a Developer.

OP, I suggest (that's if you're not well experienced enough) you consider outsourcing to someone who knows better. You still get to make cool money.

For those asking you speak big grammar, wouldn't support such idea because you just would be creating issues for future contractors and / or employees.
You can't go far deceiving people.

To you all, don't start same thing you criticise other for.

Thanks

You started this comment very well but ended it badly. You should have stopped on the second paragraph.
Re: How Much Should I Bill For A Local Government Website? by bassdow: 7:32am On Jun 26, 2020
Karlebolu:

You started this comment very well but ended it badly. You should have stopped on the second paragraph.

Glad when I write, I don't do so to be liked or earn an award or favor from anyone. Only saying what I think or know and nothing else.

Am sorry not to be sorry that All I Do Is Tell You Want I want and Mean, rather than What You Wanna hear.

Thanks
Re: How Much Should I Bill For A Local Government Website? by bassdow: 7:46am On Jun 26, 2020
klashe:
bro, can I please know why I shouldn't use WordPress because I think it will ne easy for future developers to maintain. I'm a ruby and Ruby on Rails programmer though.

I might have supported those who Discouraged the use of WordPress BUT Are you aware gloworld.com, 9mobile.com.ng, smile.com.ng, and lots of other popular (writing on mobile and too lazy to rack ma brain for any example) money making websites are built on WordPress.

Jumia and Konga are built on a CMS though not WordPress.

I personally have pushed wordpress to only when I see a need for it's Use but even when I do use Wordpress, I use it more as a Framework than a CMS.

It's the Novices who give WordPress a Bad name.

I also know very big sensitive companies who use wordpress for a Part of their website and another stack for other end.

WordPress can do what any other Framework can do, just would cost you more or Less TIME and for me, if am saving no Time using a CMS or Framework, I better fire up my Editor and code from Scratch or use ma personal Framework.

CMSes, Frameworks, etc all are Tools to aid the developer in working. When issues arises, Blame not the Tools BUT the Designer and/ or Developer or User who used them.

Thanks

4 Likes

Re: How Much Should I Bill For A Local Government Website? by bassdow: 7:50am On Jun 26, 2020
Presh900:

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy Let me say it. OP build it for 30k.
On a more serious note, i think you should charge them 1.5m. And when defending your pice,make sure you harp on that tax payment gateway as something big,also use words like encryption,unhackable,etc to blow their minds

make sure you harp on that tax payment gateway as something big,also use words like encryption,unhackable,etc to blow their minds

You can see why even the Generation after Us wouldn't Smell an Averagely Good Nigeria - Corruption + Deceit is buried in our DNA.

Most of Us appear Honest not because we are BUT because we're yet to get the Opportunity of taking Advantage of ...
Re: How Much Should I Bill For A Local Government Website? by klashe(m): 8:16am On Jun 26, 2020
bassdow:

WordPress is good but it's ease ofUse makes it easy to be Misused and Abused.

You can't go far deceiving people.

To you all, don't start same thing you criticise other for.

Thanks

I get your point. I swap between WordPress and Ruby based on what project and how complex it is.

For example, I would rather build a School Management System in Ruby Language instead of WordPress because there are obviously more features to add compared to a brand's portfolio which I could easily put together on wordpress with less plugins.
Re: How Much Should I Bill For A Local Government Website? by Karlebolu(m): 8:21am On Jun 26, 2020
bassdow:

make sure you harp on that tax payment gateway as something big,also use words like encryption,unhackable,etc to blow their minds

You can see why even the Generation after Us wouldn't Smell an Averagely Good Nigeria - Corruption + Deceit is buried in our DNA.

Most of Us appear Honest not because we are BUT because we're yet to get the Opportunity of taking Advantage of ...

There's no deceit here. It's simply business.

You are building website for an average person, 40k.

For a company, 500k.

For a government agency, you charge 3 million.

There is a business part to programming!

1 Like

Re: How Much Should I Bill For A Local Government Website? by bassdow: 10:59am On Jun 26, 2020
klashe:

I get your point. I swap between WordPress and Ruby based on what project and how complex it is.

For example, I would rather build a School Management System in Ruby Language instead of WordPress because there are obviously more features to add compared to a brand's portfolio which I could easily put together on wordpress with less plugins.

When I use wordpress, Rarely do I remember it uses Plugins.
in fact most times, the only plugin I ever use is WooCommerce (mostly to enable Me use a payment gateway) and that's when I don't have enough time or motivation to exclude Woocommerce..

and am talking about mid-range complex websites.

but that's when I use wordpress.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Much Should I Bill For A Local Government Website? by bassdow: 11:00am On Jun 26, 2020
Karlebolu:

There's no deceit here. It's simply business.

You are building website for an average person, 40k.

For a company, 500k.

For a government agency, you charge 3 million.

There is a business part to programming!

I know what I meant when I pointed out the above
Re: How Much Should I Bill For A Local Government Website? by Presh900(m): 4:19pm On Jun 26, 2020
bassdow:

How is it deceit?? Its simply harping on a point. Do you know how much Paystack will charge for integration??. Dont just charge into conversations and try to prove a non existent point. The way you bill a Business is not the way you bill an Individual, the way you bill a business is not the same way you bill the Freaking Govt. Its just Business, no deceit about it.
Re: How Much Should I Bill For A Local Government Website? by Anonime1105(m): 4:43pm On Jun 26, 2020
Government money don cause wahala here
grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: How Much Should I Bill For A Local Government Website? by bassdow: 8:35pm On Jun 26, 2020
Presh900:

How is it deceit?? Its simply harping on a point. Do you know how much Paystack will charge for integration??. Dont just charge into conversations and try to prove a non existent point. The way you bill a Business is not the way you bill an Individual, the way you bill a business is not the same way you bill the Freaking Govt. Its just Business, no deceit about it.

Wouldn't argue with you Sir/Ma despite knowing what original comment meant and What I meant.

Thanks
Re: How Much Should I Bill For A Local Government Website? by devbits: 10:53pm On Jun 27, 2020
klashe:
A friend of mind who knows I'm a web developer linked me with someone who wants to build a website for his LGA. The major features are payment gateway for tax, gallery of photos and map of the land area.

I honestly have no idea how much to bill, it's my first time of getting this kinda job.

Opinions please..

please your work is not that much, vanilla php or codeigniter will do. please don't use WordPress.

1 Like

Re: How Much Should I Bill For A Local Government Website? by klashe(m): 5:38pm On Jun 28, 2020
devbits:

please your work is not that much, vanilla php or codeigniter will do. please don't use WordPress.
ok, thanks bro!
Re: How Much Should I Bill For A Local Government Website? by Nobody: 5:41pm On Jun 28, 2020
klashe:

Opinions please..
Re: How Much Should I Bill For A Local Government Website? by aril: 1:40pm On Jul 09, 2020
Squillaci:

Are you for real.. 15k..

Explain how 15k will finish the project. Starting from buying a domain. We all learn everyday..
Re: How Much Should I Bill For A Local Government Website? by aril: 2:46pm On Jul 09, 2020
klashe:

Opinions please..

Whatever you decide to bill anyone base on your work is up to U. Outline what you'll need on paper to get the project done and how much it will cost to get everything you need. Again, use whatever you are comfortable with. I mean if you are confident you will do a solid job with WordPress by all means use it.

1 Like

Re: How Much Should I Bill For A Local Government Website? by CenturyCoder: 3:09pm On Jul 09, 2020
Squillaci:

How can you say 15k when the government is involved. Please ohhh
Re: How Much Should I Bill For A Local Government Website? by aril: 3:35pm On Jul 09, 2020
CenturyCoder:

How can you say 15k when the government is involved. Please ohhh

Even when the government isn't involved 15k can't do shit.. The guy obviously didn't knw what he's talking about.. 15k to do what extactly...?

(1) (Reply)

Is Nigeria Really The Problem / Sms Software / I Want To Get Involved In Computer Programming, Where Do I Start?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.