Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,877 members, 7,810,335 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:19 AM

Proud To Be 9ja - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Proud To Be 9ja (1106 Views)

15 Reasons You Should Be Proud To Be A Nigerian(pics) / Igbo Kwenu! Kwezuo Nu! Join Us If You're Proud To Be An Igbo Guy/lady / Igbo Kwenu ! Kwenu Kwezo Nu ! Join Us If You Proud To Be An Igbo Guy/lady (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Proud To Be 9ja by gohome: 2:35pm On Jan 29, 2011
I think that in the UK, there are 2 main sets of Nigerians, which are namely:

The ‘I was born and raised here’ aka My parents are Nigerian, but I’m British.

The ‘I was born and raised in Nigeria, and only moved to the UK to attend college’

I personally think things have changed a lot since when I got to the UK initially… When I came, I know I experienced a lot of Category 1 peeps that looked at me like they were better than me cos I “supposedly” was running away from naija, and naija was just this terrible place that everyone was running away from. Not everyone in that category did that, but a good number.

Fast forward to 2011, and thanks to media explosion, and all kinds of social networking sites, being Naija Naija is actually cool, and so we all take pride in it, including those born and raised here. Our celebs are now fine babes and fine boyz, and naija now has swag…lol.
I personally don’t look down on anyone, as long as u’re repping… but I have to say I do hate, that statement, My parents are Nigerian but I’m British. Nonsense. Plus don’t call me “fresh off the boat” cos I dey yarn pidgin…lol.
Like someone said, some of the peeps born and raised here and far more interested in naija culture that some of us “immigrants”…lol.
Re: Proud To Be 9ja by cap28: 3:44am On Jan 31, 2011
There is nothing cool about being from a nation run by criminals, a nation where the rich treat the poor like sh.it and have no respect for the rule of law, a nation where no-one seems to have a moral compass but everyone shouts that they are a born again christian or muslim.

Is nigeria an industrialised nation? No - does it manufacture anything? Again no.
Stop living in a fool's paradise talking about "we get swagger" you get swagger and you ran away to live in europe - why? You should be back home in your beloved "naija" living it up but you're stuck in europe where the whites treat you like a second class citizen - get real and wake up, there is nothing great about being from nigeria, nigerians are hated every where in the world we go - when i went to gambia the minute i mentioned i was originally from nigeria people who had been friendly became cold and distant, no-one likes nigerians, its time we faced up to the truth and stop being fantasists. Its time to find a way to repair our damaged world image.
Re: Proud To Be 9ja by DeeJay20: 5:45pm On Jan 31, 2011
cap28:

There is nothing cool about being from a nation run by criminals, a nation where the rich treat the poor like sh.it and have no respect for the rule of law, a nation where no-one seems to have a moral compass but everyone shouts that they are a born again christian or muslim. 

Is nigeria an industrialised nation?  No - does it manufacture anything? Again no.

Stop living in a fool's paradise talking about "we get swagger" you get swagger and you ran away to live in europe - why? 

when i went to gambia the minute i mentioned i was originally from nigeria people who had been friendly became cold and distant, no-one likes nigerians,

MY MY MY, SO TRUE, the one about fellow africans is sooo true too,
i worked with an east african lady a few years back, i think she was Zim or Tanzanian, she had so much bitterness towards Nigerians,
ROFLMAO!!!!
Re: Proud To Be 9ja by iice(f): 5:30pm On Feb 01, 2011
LOL. . .
Re: Proud To Be 9ja by lelouchan: 12:04am On Feb 02, 2011
Yeah I agree with cap28, I don't see why anyone should swagger cause they're Nigerian. I mean I cannot think of one thing that country has done for me.
BUT I also think NO ONE should ever look down on me because I happen to come from Nigeria. Just because my passport says I'm Nigerian should not be enough to put me in one box.

But yeah its crazy, a lot of people hate Nigerians. I once ran into this English man who told me his story of how he was robbed the first day he was in Nigeria. He was so bitter! I just mumbled something and ran away grin
Re: Proud To Be 9ja by emwosa(f): 11:51am On Feb 09, 2011
true, Naijas are hated by other Africans, but its for different reasons, non the less being proud of where u r from is always a good thing, we are great at many things, and God willing, we no go come last we are also the second richest country in Africa

(1) (Reply)

He Inadvertently Married His Mother (book) / They Wanna Give Me A Title In My Village! / This Is How Typical Main Market Guys Flex Their Sunday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.