Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,220 members, 7,818,755 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:33 AM

How Do I Handle My Landlord?? - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / How Do I Handle My Landlord?? (32815 Views)

This Is Why Ive Been Avoiding A Shared Apartment. How Can I Handle This? / My Landlord And I / How Do I Handle My Landlord? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by Sultty(m): 3:06pm On Jun 29, 2020
Simply move on
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by chinchonglee(m): 3:07pm On Jun 29, 2020
Repair it na
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by Artiiclebeast: 3:07pm On Jun 29, 2020
Some landlords really believe they are lords.
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by Robocash(m): 3:07pm On Jun 29, 2020
dingbang:
Climb ontop the roof when he isnt around and create a hole on the zinc on his own side of the house.

Words of wisdom lol
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by spiralwedge(m): 3:07pm On Jun 29, 2020
Repair it, have and keep receipts.

Then deduct it from your rent
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by otokx(m): 3:09pm On Jun 29, 2020
Same thing happened to me in Port Harcourt, the Landlord based in Lagos kept speaking grammer, it was a structural problem, fixed what I could, then moved out, these landlords have no joy.
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by ogawisdom(m): 3:10pm On Jun 29, 2020
nikkypearl:
Try and fix whatever is wrong with your money,get a receipt for it ,and deduct it from your next house rent!!
Thank me later...some Landlords are just mad!

Follow this advice
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by ekaette1621: 3:10pm On Jun 29, 2020
Idiot!

kILL YOUR LANDLORD.
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by Reex12(m): 3:10pm On Jun 29, 2020
fix the roof with your money then deduct it from the house rent its as easy as that
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by spiralwedge(m): 3:12pm On Jun 29, 2020
[quote author=layzie post=91152981][/quote]

If it's a room in a face to face, It's possible. Sheets of roof, the ceiling, and workmanship can equate almost a year rent.
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by sammirano: 3:12pm On Jun 29, 2020
[quote author=veave post=91150362]Please call a carpenter to access the leakage. If it's something you can afford just do the patch and move on. Our people say it is where you live that you take care of. I'm all for treating a house you are renting like the house you built yourself. May God keep providing for you. [/quote
Bless you

1 Like

Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by MrNipplesLover(m): 3:14pm On Jun 29, 2020
maybe na my own thinking different.

if I have this kind issue that's giving me headache on MY room, it costs me nothing to fix am naaah.

shebi na me dey inside the room, no be bad thing if I fix things by myself for my own comfort.

maybe na my own thinking different. but, that's how I will do my thing.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by gassbee: 3:15pm On Jun 29, 2020
dingbang:
Climb ontop the roof when he isnt around and create a hole on the zinc on his own side of the house.

bros abeg pass me dat stuff wey u dey handle

1 Like

Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by sorepco(m): 3:15pm On Jun 29, 2020
This carpenter na how? He wants to fix the whole thing and probably rezinc the house? A while year's rent?
Just tell him to fix that particular spot where the rain water comes in and not fix the whole ceiling!
Personally I will lay a complain with the nearest police post. Not that he be arrested but that when u deduct the amount from rent he would not intimidate u with police. Or go to a civil court so they be a file! That landlord is vile

Mama4dworld:

I have done the accessment....it will take up more than a year's rent.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by konkonbilo(m): 3:15pm On Jun 29, 2020
Mama4dworld:
Hello everyone... please advice me.

My landlord is ignoring me.

My house is leaking.... very very badly. I have complained to him on several occasions and he has done absolutely nothing about it.
I have been experiencing this issue since the rain started this year.

And this man doesn't give a damn about it.

When it rains everywhere will be soaked.

NB: I moved in during the dry season last year. This is something I wouldn't have known.

What can I do...I really want him to pay for this...it is sincerely not fair...the worst part of everything is...he doesn't care.

What can I do??
if you can fix it do it and keep the receipt when is time to renew your rent deduct the money from it or when you call a Carpenter ask him how much is it to fix it and when is time to renew your rent you'll tell him this is the amount for fixing your roof and you'll be removing it from your annual rent.
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by felo812000(m): 3:17pm On Jun 29, 2020
Haaa!!!
Do you know how much he pays as rent?

layzie:

If it's just roof leakage, then your assessment is suspect. The highest u can use is a sheet of roofing sheet, that's if the section of roof is pulled out, the workmanship. How can that equate to a full year rent?

1 Like

Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by Nobody: 3:17pm On Jun 29, 2020
Mama4dworld:

My house is leaking.... very very badly. I have complained to him on several occasions and he has done absolutely nothing about it.

NB: I moved in during the dry season last year. This is something I wouldn't have known.

What can I do...I really want him to pay for this...it is sincerely not fair...the worst part of everything is...he doesn't care.

What can I do??
Which state is this?
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by janejive(f): 3:20pm On Jun 29, 2020
veave:
Please call a carpenter to access the leakage. If it's something you can afford just do the patch and move on. Our people say it is where you live that you take care of. I'm all for treating a house you are renting like the house you built yourself. May God keep providing for you.

You are very diplomatic, nice way to resolve issues amicably

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by Geonigga(m): 3:20pm On Jun 29, 2020
Write a letter to him and demand a refund of the unused balance of rent and thereafter look for another accommodation elsewhere to avoid unnecessary rancour.
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by 1x2x3: 3:21pm On Jun 29, 2020
Fix it and possibly make a video when doing it. As you dey comot call carpenter to remove what you fixed.
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by Helpfromabove1(m): 3:22pm On Jun 29, 2020
Mama4dworld:

What can I do??

Be careful with the advice of you reparing with your money and then remove from next rent
U CERTAINLY NEED HIS/HER AGREEMENT ON THIS BEFORE U GO THAT ROUTE

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by correctyourself(m): 3:23pm On Jun 29, 2020
Mama4dworld:

What can I do??

Are you asking me this simple question? forgive him grin
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by mukthar2000(m): 3:24pm On Jun 29, 2020
I am in this kind of this situation b4 with one useless landlord in Lagos,
Guy don't waste ur time waiting for him to repair it for u, just do the repair urself , as the carpenter is doing the house work just keep doing the phone coverage and write down all ur expenses against ur next payment, then u deduct all ur money b4 u give the fool the remaining balance.
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by Euegene100001: 3:25pm On Jun 29, 2020
Na to pack commot then
Mama4dworld:

Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by emmanuelewumi(m): 3:26pm On Jun 29, 2020
Mama4dworld:

What can I do??

Get a carpenter that will do the costing for the repairs. Send it to him via a registered mail and copy others in the house. Just for record purposes

Call him a day after he must have received and acknowledge the receipt of your mail, to find out the way forward.

Make sure other tenants are aware of the happenings. If he doesn't have money to fix your roof, you might need to fix it yourself and deduct the expenses from your next rent
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by Mikkymilli: 3:26pm On Jun 29, 2020
Note to self : If you're going to pack out to an apartment, do it during rainy season.
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by kirkwood: 3:27pm On Jun 29, 2020
Handle him well!
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by colestephan86: 3:28pm On Jun 29, 2020
Mama4dworld:

What can I do??
Don't wait till your property get destroyed, fix it , but before you do take pictures or videos of how badly the roof leaks , and the conversation you had with him as regards the problem just as proof that you told him about it but refused to do anything. Then fix it and remove your money from his rent.
I'm sure after you fix , he will tell you to share the cost don't ever accept that.
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by emmanuelewumi(m): 3:30pm On Jun 29, 2020
sylve11:
@ op, plenty situations could be the reasons your landlord doesn't want to fix it. He's either indebted, having challenges with finance, having family problems etc. If you ask me, I'd say fix it if you can and place the bill on him by sampling him receipts. Plenty landlord will also tell you that the expenses you made on fixing their own house, is none of their business.. If you can't handle it, pack out. Life is not fair. sad cool

Repairs made inside your apartment is non of the landlord's business, but external repairs like roofing or major expenses are the landlord's business

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by CaptainFM1: 3:30pm On Jun 29, 2020
Mama4dworld:

Move out when your rent is over. Do thorough investigation for your next rent.
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by okine4real: 3:35pm On Jun 29, 2020
The first question I will ask you is, how much is your yearly rent? I have said it before on this forum, when you pay cheap rent, its mostly difficult for your landlord to come to your rescue when you are experiencing glhuge repairs. Mine house also is leaking, my tenant has called me, I have fixed it twice and its still leaking, I have called another break layer and another carpenter that would make sure the problem is fixed permanently. This time I might be spending up to 30-40k. Mine rent is 500k, so even if I will spend 150k a year to repair a particular tenants apartment in a year, as a landlord that is not selfish, that's ohhk by me. But if they where paying 250k yearly, I swear the best I will do is, we share the costofr I pay 30 percent of the total cost. Where I leave, mine rent is 250k for a very big house. I have never called mine landlord for repair before, if they is repair, I just fix it.

So bro, its either you pack out of the house or fix the roof if you know you are paying a cheap rent.

Cheers.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Important Checks To Make Before Renting An Apartment / My Neighbor Denies Me Sleep With His Generator / The Moment 6-Storey Building Collapsed In Banana Island, Lagos (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.